Painful gas, bloating, loose stools (so embarrassing)

Hi there. There doesn't seem to be too much in the book regarding health ailments, other than a general blanket coverage.  I started the Whole30 last Sunday (16Apr2017), and did a PLANNED cheat, having some wine this past weekend at a getaway that was planned prior to deciding to start this diet, therefore I did my hard-start this Sunday (I just wanted to kick start a new lifestyle after Easter so didn't wait lol!).... sorry for the long drawn out intro.....

ANYWAYS, I started this diet to see why I suffer from gas, bloating, diarrhea.  I travel and fly for work pretty much 2X week, and I wondered if was the altitude changes, but I really don't think so. I am Type 1 diabetic on the insulin pump, and very very physically active (road cycling long distance, X-country ski, bootcamp, etc), and feel I eat well, but tend to have an overindulgence problem regarding snacking in the evenings, mostly in my hotel room. This diet will help me get back to basics hopefully.

My issue is (yes, I have finally got to the point), is that I am suffering from frequent bowel movements, gas, and painful bloating - worse than before starting. Anyone else suffer from this??  Is it okay to take Gas-X or other meds, or should I let it run it's course?  Tough when I am on the road...:(

Any wise counsel or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks!!

It could well be your digestive system adjusting to the change in diet, but if you find it troublesome I'd say to go ahead & take an OTC anti-diarrhea med, and ensure you are staying hydrated.

Can you give us a run down of what you've eaten since Sunday? Some people are overly sensitive to certain veg which can cause these kind of symptoms but without any detail it'd be hard to comment. 

I'm going to move this to the Trouble-shooting forum by the way as I think it'd be a better fit.....

Hi there. Nothing out of the ordinary really. On Sunday, other than some nuts and raisins (1/2 cup portion), diner chef salad no cheese, and an apple, we prepared my usual salad of leaf lettuce (EVOO, white vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder), strip steak, baked potatoe with ghee, asparagus.  Yesterday a banana and almond butter, handful of raw almonds, some cherry tomatoes, and dinner was a 3 egg omelette with peppers, onions, diced ham, salad (see above), and roasted baby potatoes with salt,pepper and rosemary.  Snacked on almonds and dates (1/2 cup portion). Feel a bit better today. So far just a banana with almond butter and about to workout.

Oh, and peppermint tea, black coffee and lots of water! :)

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Shenanigans said:

On Sunday:

some nuts and raisins (1/2 cup portion),

diner chef salad no cheese, and an apple

salad of leaf lettuce (EVOO, white vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder), strip steak, baked potatoe with ghee, asparagus. 

Yesterday:

banana and almond butter, handful of raw almonds, some cherry tomatoes, 

dinner was a 3 egg omelette with peppers, onions, diced ham, salad (see above), and roasted baby potatoes with salt,pepper and rosemary. 

Snacked on almonds and dates (1/2 cup portion).

Today:

So far just a banana with almond butter and about to workout.

Oh, and peppermint tea, black coffee and lots of water! :)

Okay so I"ve reformatted your post to separate your days and meals.  Is this really all you're eating?  Yesterday it looks like you ate fruit, nuts, nut butter, dates and an omlette with salad and potato?

The day before was nuts, dried fruit, fruit and two salads, only one having protien and fat.

By 10am (or thereabouts) pacific time, you'd only eaten a banana and almond butter and were going to work out?

This is an extremely frighteningly minimal amount of food and the majority of it is made up of fruit, nuts, dried fruit and nut butter.  That's 100% where your gastro problems are coming from.

Have you seen the meal template?  You should be making three meals a day to match the template.  Nuts are not your best choice because aside from causing GI distress, they are poorly fat balanced.  The template recommends limiting nuts... think a closed handful every other day sort of limit... nut butters would be less.  Fruit is recommended to be 0-2 fist sized servings once a day, eaten with meals, not alone or as a snack or even worse, as a meal.

One last point, compliant ham is very hard to find so check that package again. They usually have some sort of sugar. 

Hi there.

thanks so much for your input! 

I was in a bit of a hurry responding... to ease your concern a little, I add chicken breast to my salads when traveling, often getting a Cobb with no cheese or croutons. Yes I eat a lot of fruit and nuts, and I see it will cause upset. I travel for work, therefore it is quite difficult... today through Friday I'm in NYC and staying near a Whole Foods market so I will try to pack up some hard boiled eggs also.

I will make sure I review the meal template. My fear being on the road is what gets put in my food, or what it is cooked with! Eggs for example, usually cooked with butter or margarine. Steak, fish, pork: cooked with butter. Sigh, I will try harder.... 

I checked the ham by the way prior and there was no added sugar :)

So an update, yesterday I had minimal fruit, lots of eggs (not 100% sure if compliant as I am traveling but I am trying, and asking for them to be cooked in lard or olive oil), chicken and salsa and guacamole with salad for dinner, and some turkey pepperoni for a snack. NO NUTS or RAISINS!!  Tummy feels good! This morn I had a half banana after my 40 min intense elliptical session, then eggs with salsa and some cantaloupe for breakfast (I am so full), and plan on sliced turkey breast with guac and salsa, plus maybe a hard boiled egg for lunch, then hopefully grab a compliant meal from the freezer section at Whole Foods, or ask for something to take out. No restaurants around that I trust. Traveling is tough. Can't wait to get home and make some yummy meals from the websites and the book!!

One day at a time. :D

For eggs make sure you are checking your butter. I don't think Margarine is compliant and butter needs to be clarified or ghee (Ghee is really good!).   

I eat an avocado everyday.

I eat out and it works fine.  I'll post a few things I've ordered:

The last paragraph isn't supposed to be in the quotes but I can't seem to edit it out. 

The first time I went to yardhouse and I got the steak cobb salad (I think?)  I just talked to the waitress about what was on it, left off anything non-compliant, added on veggies that were and made sure I was clear about no butter. I used my own dressing.

I went to chili's and I ordered the mango chili chicken.  I again talked with the waitress and made sure that the sauces and glaze were left off, just had the mango and pico added, and then went with two sides of broccoli.  She assured me there was no butter added, and also told me she made sure to tell the kitchen to definitely leave off the sauces so she went out of her way for me.  

I'm also hoping that this diet helps my stomach issues. I've had stomach issues for six years.  The scope said it was inflammation in the stomach and it never really went away. It makes me burp a lot which sucks.   I've noticed since starting that the effects seem less during the day, but worse when I lay down at night. I have to take pepto to get to sleep else I hurt back and feel super nauseous.  I'm hoping it's part of the transition, and goes away soon.   

1 hour ago, Lea Mint said:

For eggs make sure you are checking your butter. I don't think Margarine is compliant and butter needs to be clarified or ghee (Ghee is really good!).   

I eat an avocado everyday.

I eat out and it works fine.  I'll post a few things I've ordered:

The last paragraph isn't supposed to be in the quotes but I can't seem to edit it out. 

Hi there. I'm sorry about your stomach issues.... it is no fun. I am feeling great since yesterday afternoon, so fingers crossed. I take Omeprazole for GERD - prescription from Dr. I have had ultrasounds and all kinds of tests, but no IBS or other such ailments, so maybe it's simply diet...?

Thanks for location posts. I will keep in mind.  I'm aware of the egg issue, but there is only so much I can do at times and just need to have faith. In the morns I am running from hotel to site, and don't have time to go to a restaurant that can comply to my requests,,,, I am making excuses. Previously I would eat a banana and PB (now it would be Almond butter), but fruit is cut way out of my diet and I don't have access to the almond butter (I can't pack it and take on plane unless I check my bag). Often a restaurant will provide vinegar and olive oil which I like - but I am getting sick of cobb and chef salads lol. If you or anyone else has ideas as to where (Perkins, Denny's, etc) that can quickly make me a breakfast compliant to Whole 30, please let me know.  I may try to look at frozen breakfasts in the health food sections of the grocery store so I can quickly nuke in my hotel room.... or I could grab a few eggs if I have a fridge, microwave them in my room before I run to the site... AHA! Thanks for letting me talk this out lol! I think I have an idea! :D

So a friend told me about making eggs in the microwave and I did that this morning and it worked so wonderful!  I would totally recommend doing that! Just changed my breakfast, because I like scrambled better than hardboiled.   I have This sausage with it that is compliant and sooooo good. I just cut it up and microwave it too and then have some type of veggie.  You could add tomatoes to your eggs?   

I feel you on the salads!    The biggest thing is just when you order your meat (steak, chicken, etc) make sure they leave off sauces and butter.   

I had a burger yesterday at work (we were grilling) and just used two pieces of lettuce as the bun.  Added tomato and avocado and ate it like a burger.   A place like fuddruckers has all types of burgers and they have the big lettuce you could use as a bun.  It's good to go to place that make side veggies or baked potatoes.  You could order a baked potato and mix your meat with it and salt and pepper.   I actually put avocado and hard boiled egg on mine the other day. lol.  Just getting creative!     

Sometimes the best you can do, is the best you can do.  When eating out at a breakfast place you can ask them if they have any sort of veg available that they can simply and quickly saute up in a pan.

Also I have eaten baby food pouches if I'm in a veggie bind.  Not great, have a tendency to be a bit fruit heavy, but it works.

Archived