No snacking?? But my metabolism...

Helene2310

So I have read ISWF and I understand the concept of not eating between meals to help your hormones but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I have been an athlete the majority of my life and you are trained to eating small meals every 2-3 hours, but also eating so you don't have drops in your blood sugar.

I have been able to eat enough at each meal where I don't have to snack, but I just wanted some feedback in regards to snacking.. Does anyone feel like their blood sugar drops? It really is okay to not have snacks and just have 3 bigger meals??

Don't worry :) But if you are like me, someone just telling me something is a fact, doesn't make it one, so do some reading, like here for example http://www.marksdailyapple.com/meal-timing/#axzz2Ao3JbfMq

If you used to eat a lot of snacks and processed products it's ok that it may take you a bit to get used to it

If you are sticking to your vegetables, good protein sources, and healthy fats, you are good! Since you are an athlete im sure some good starches should be included in your diet, like pumpkin and sweet potatoes, squashes. The Whole30 has good guidelines on how to re-fuel.

Remember, our bodies function the best getting fuel from fat, and since we all got enough of that on ourselves, we got an uninterrupted fuel source. Now, if you determine that you are actually hungry, then eat :) Stick to the good stuff: Vegetables, protein, good fats.

To keep up your athletic performance make sure you get your sleep :)

I'm sure someone can come on here and give you more scientific info. It's out there and i've read it, just don't ask me to repeat i cause i cant! :( sorry. But trust the info, it's pure science, so it's not wrong. I used to feel like you and was terrified of eating more fat. I feel so much more energetic since i upped my coconut oil intake :) I hope i've been of some help :)

Even though I don't compete any longer due to knee injury, I still train at an elite level in kickboxing and " MMA type fighting". I too couldn't " wrap my head around" not eating every two to three hours..... But with the proper pre and post workout meals, I can really feel the difference forum burning/ storing carbs, and burning fat for fuel..... I can go 6 hours between meals and sometimes really need to force myself to sit down and eat a meal. I have a constant flow of steady energy, no dips or nappy sleepy time feelings, and little to no cravings for anything.... Just make sure you eat enough fat and you'll be great!!! BTW... As a nice side effect, I'm eating more than I ever have and I'm shredded !!

I couldn't get my head around the no snacking either, having come from a very strong fitness background and eating 8 times a day. But the 3 meals works really well - it just takes a little while to figure out the quantity you need to eat to keep you full for long enough, without eating so much you feel uncomfortable.

The grazing habit is so hard to break though. Even though I wasn't at all hungry, I still wanted to snack - especially after work. And I still struggle on weekends when I'm out all day and can't sit down for proper meals.

Its getting a lot better but I'm not quite there yet

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I do agree that I can go for hours without food on the whole30, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't damaging my body! Ha. It's just so hard to think that I am eating even more food a day at less times a day and its good for me. I believe in it I just need to keep working on adjusting my body.

Here's to no snacking!

Archived