March 27th (time to shine!) - Re-intro group

harpchick

So the first thing I'm going to do post Whole30 is relax on the added sugar rule. I'm not going to worry about bits of sugar in sauces/dressing/ketchup etc.

I'm also going to make some paleo (SWYPO) wraps/tortillas.  Compliant ingredients but obviously not allowed during the Whole30.

I am going to introduce soy first because I'm not interested in other legumes because I know they do lead to gut bloating & pain. I don't really have any soy stuff around the house so I'm not sure how I'm going to do this!

Thanks for doing this @harpchick!! Congrats on everyone's weight loss and nsv's!  I have to admit I had a twinge of jealousy when my friend told me she lost 18 lbs this morning... it seems my body is being a jerk!  I know you can't compare. .. our body types are so vastly different and she really only needed to lose 20-30 lbs and I realistically need to lose over 100 lbs.  Just frustrating lol.  

Onward & upward though!  I would like to start by adding cheese in, I'm not big on dairy or bread/wheat but I miss cheese!!  Boyfriend is still on board with staying the course of healthy eating and not sliding backwards thano fully. .. although I suspect a beer is in his near future lol.  

Hi everyone!  I'm going to try to stick with the food plan for the most part. I lost some weight, dropped sizes and feel good so,  want to keep it going but not as strict ..if there is a special occasion I will decide what to eat and drink.   Since we didn't weigh ourselves, I don't know if I lost weight at the beginning and now weight loss has leveled off or if I lost at the end and it is still going?  I guess we will see.

I added a pinch of stevia in my coffee this morning...I don't know if it really sweetened it up or it just seemed to taste better.  Going out tonight for my bday so will re-intro wine. 

Just a quick note while I have a moment on lunch.  I have not reintroduced anything yet... today I was offered some caramel popcorn..  I love popcorn.  I have a piece sitting on my desk, just 1 piece.  I haven't eaten it yet lol. Not sure if I will.  

@harpchick thanks for creating this for us!  :)

@sooladybug: omg that sounds like torture!!! :wacko:

I've not decided how I want to move forward yet. The rigidity of the program had some positives. I'm not used to eating this much fat ... so I'd like to go back to eating more carbs like oats but only at breakfast. I knew going in what my sensitivities are (allergy to dairy and addicted to sugar). I am bringing organic stevia back! Woot! And 0.5 fruit in any smoothies I consume ;) I also like to use organic miso paste as a base for my soups. I will likely be bringing that back. It's a probiotic so I think it's good!  My body will have the final say. Right now, I feel those are the only real changes I'd like to make. And of course, swypo !! 

I'm considering desserts too and I'm undecided here. I am debating if I should just make some swypo or if I should simply limit them to my birthday and special occassions. I also want to snack as well although i know this is often a crutch to deal with emotions I want to avoid! :mellow: 

This past month was also a month of self-care for me which was difficult at times b/c I don't enjoy slowing down. My mind was making all kinds of protests about it <_< but it seems to have gotten used to it! I'm feeling good! And more at ease, and rested.

What changes are you guys making?

I made some vanilla cupcakes last night. Man they taste SO different now. And I was really surprised by the fact that I wasn't interested in eating cake batter at all. I am feeling a little off put. It's a good thing, but such a weird feeling. Tonight I am frosting them and tomorrow I'll see if I can even muster up the want to eat one. It's such a strange feeling, I only had about a tablespoon, but I could not fall asleep last night until 12:30 <_< 

I think reintro will be more of a "do i want this" than "I should incorporate this back"

Hi all :mellow: Take the re-intro seriously ... Day 31 was my bday and a bunch of us went out to dinner in Malibu. To be honest, I didn't really think about the re-intro - I'm not sure why since I have been such a rule follower on this - and had a bite of this and that and a sip of this and that and then more of this and that - got home and sick for hours vomiting. Sorry to be gross but I was super sick and wish I had really realized how serious the re-intro protocol was.  

Oh dear @Mevans!! I'm so sorry you were so sick. What a bummer on your birthday. (PS - happy belated birthday :) 

Crazy reaction though - who knows if it was one particular food or just that it was too much all at once? Or maybe just plain old food poisoning?  Hope you feel better soon. 

@Miranda E - interesting you felt put off by your baking! I made a couple of cakes for family while on whole30 and while I'm not a huge sugar person I missed being able to sample the fruits of my labour. Do the cupcakes have more than one reintro group? (Dairy and gluten and/or lots of sugar?) If they do, you won't know what you're reacting to if you do feel a negative impact. Sounds like the sugar wired you right up!

I haven't reintro-ed anything yet but I've already got the prosecco chilling that I'm going to sip while I watch the Edmonton oilers beat the Anaheim ducks tonight. ;) (Playoff hockey is a local obsession) 

Hi! I am on day 33 I guess.  I am feeling really good and I don't want to change anything right now. I made some mistakes early on with FODMAPS and I am getting back on track GI wise now and I want to see. I lost an inch on my waist and all of my clothes are loose but I am still off of the scale.  But I have two pimples!!! :ph34r: I My friend showed me some chocolate sweetened only with coconut (SWYPO?) but I did not have any because that is a no brakes food for me and I did so without hesitation. I am also tweaking the amount of vegetable. With IBS veg can be a tough one. Too much is not a good thing. If I do reintroduce anything I will let you know and I look forward to hearing your stories. Good on ya for self care. It is so important. 

@Strictlyspeaking good on you for keeping the plan and resisting the chocolate!!  I hear you on the veggie front. I finally figured out that it's big salads that give me gut aches. I seem to be ok with all the cooked veg. 

I've stuck with the plan too except for not worrying about minute sugar/dextrose in condiments & packaged meats. 

Oh and this SWYPO vegan, raw cheese.  Actually not SWYPO at all - since it is delicious in its own right! 

IMG_5428.JPG

@Miranda E: I think that's a great attitude/perspective to take by asking "do I really want this?"  I love your reluctance to go deep on the batter or the cupcakes. That's a huge WIN right there.

@Mevans: happy belated birthday!  Sorry to hear you got sick. The body has a way of really articulating things clearly. That's the blessing here.

@Strictlyspeaking: gotta love pimples!!! I got so many during this last W30 (mostly during week 2). It got to a point of being comical. 

@harpchick: Go Oilers go!!! Yum on that vegan cheese! What are you pairing that with? Wine? :) Can I come over? 

I got in 3 yoga classes today. Two "normal" ones and a Yin class which is so chill! I made a new yogi buddy at my studio so we've been going to the 7am classes together. I had such a hard time motivating myself to go but easier now with someone to meet. The evening classes are never a problem to get to. It doesn't make any sense why that is.

My reintro's have been hummus (love it with crudites) and my coffee is back to unsweetened almond milk + stevia. It's probably not the 'right' way to do the reintro. I should slowly try out the coffee change first, and maybe do a hummus reintro next week ... but so far so good!

Have a great weekend y'all! 

On 28/04/2017 at 10:11 AM, Miranda E said:

I made some vanilla cupcakes last night. Man they taste SO different now. And I was really surprised by the fact that I wasn't interested in eating cake batter at all. I am feeling a little off put. It's a good thing, but such a weird feeling. Tonight I am frosting them and tomorrow I'll see if I can even muster up the want to eat one. It's such a strange feeling, I only had about a tablespoon, but I could not fall asleep last night until 12:30 <_< 

I think reintro will be more of a "do i want this" than "I should incorporate this back"

I haven't eaten sweets yet. I have to confess I'm a little scared of it. But I experienced the same feeling while drinking Coke zero: I used to swear by this and now I just went "bleeeeh". It was too sweet and it tasted metallic.

I am also thinking like you during my reintro: if it will not be AWESOME to eat it, meh, not worth it.

I dropped a couple more pounds since my period started and am slowly getting back to Tiger blood, even with the symptoms from heavy blood loss.

13 hours ago, marianned said:

@Miranda E: I think that's a great attitude/perspective to take by asking "do I really want this?"  I love your reluctance to go deep on the batter or the cupcakes. That's a huge WIN right there.

@Mevans: happy belated birthday!  Sorry to hear you got sick. The body has a way of really articulating things clearly. That's the blessing here.

@Strictlyspeaking: gotta love pimples!!! I got so many during this last W30 (mostly during week 2). It got to a point of being comical. 

@harpchick: Go Oilers go!!! Yum on that vegan cheese! What are you pairing that with? Wine? :) Can I come over? 

I got in 3 yoga classes today. Two "normal" ones and a Yin class which is so chill! I made a new yogi buddy at my studio so we've been going to the 7am classes together. I had such a hard time motivating myself to go but easier now with someone to meet. The evening classes are never a problem to get to. It doesn't make any sense why that is.

My reintro's have been hummus (love it with crudites) and my coffee is back to unsweetened almond milk + stevia. It's probably not the 'right' way to do the reintro. I should slowly try out the coffee change first, and maybe do a hummus reintro next week ... but so far so good!

Have a great weekend y'all! 

Those yoga classes sound awesome and I bet you kicked butt, @marianned:)

About you reintroducing stevia and almond milk and hummus, I think if you felt these didn't tend to aggravate your system before, they are probably fine to reintro now. I guess you should keep mindful of your sensations and be merciless if you feel anything unusual after having them.

I drank the day before yesterday (caipirinha de cupuaçu with cachaça, an unbelievable Brazilian drink) and had dairy. The buzz from the drink was way strong. I'm planning on having alcohol very sporadically until I get to my goal weight (I am two pounds away from my second mini-goal now, yay!), but it was nice to enjoy a drink with a good friend.

I feel l can do more with my life after this experience. This self-efficacy thing is huge. 

Much love to you guys and enjoy your weekend <3

Happy Sunday Y'all!!!

Is anyone considering or doing a challenge for May 2017? Either on the W30 or independently? I'd like to do another one!

I enjoyed the accountability of this group (thanks to each and every one of you)! :wub:  We could have personal goals (or common ones) where we keep each other accountable. We all have our own areas we'd like to work on a little more. This could encompass food, fitness, sleep, mindfulness, and wellness overall. Perhaps structure it in a way where there is a daily task(s). I love this supportive environment and like-mindedness of the group. Anyone interested? 

Hi all! I've recovered from my Day 31 blow-out ..and staying on re-intro plan. Out at Stagecoach music festival right now and compliant food has not been a problem. They have great catering with lots of choices and I'm staying away from alcohol since it's such long hot days ... but fun!

@marianned - yes, would love to stay in with this group and like your ideas for structuring it. And - your yoga sounds awesome - something I'd love to do more regularly.

@Nana Valente @Miranda E it is so I interesting how our taste buds have changed and sugary drinks and yummy cupcakes have a different flavor. I like: it should be awesome to eat or ... meh, not worth it.

@Strictlyspeaking have you added anything yet ? And how are you feeling? 

@harpchick how were the paleo wrap/tortillas? How did you make them? ... I'm still doing sweet potato toast but want to try something else.

@sooladybug - did you re-intro cheese? I miss cheese but am a little scared?

love this group - can't wait to hear how everyone is doing!

Good morning all.

Interesting weekend...The cupcake are delicious. I actually had a couple over the weekend and it was no problem. But I had a drink at my boyfriends birthday, took 2 small sips and I couldn't drink it, it was WAY too sweet. Had some cheese and breads. So good. But yesterday, it felt like I was hungover. It was not an great day. SO i'll be eating whole 30 80-90% of the time, and just have the occasional treat on weekends or special events.

@Mevans I re-intro'd cheese and I didn't have any problems. I won't be re-introing milk though because even before it gave me problems. Start with good quality cheese.

Hi all!

I made it through a weekend in Jasper and was able to eat compliant-ly the entire time. (Except for a bit of added sugar here and there) I did reintro prosecco - and was disappointed that it didn't taste as good as I remembered. Not really too sweet just meh.  I tried 3 different kinds  (had to have a sample group lol) and there was one that I had to pour out it tasted that gross. Luckily I didn't seem to be affected by the sulphites. Next weekend - red wine! Oh - and i did have a tiny  store bought "paleo" treat  and it tasted amazing - but didn't awake the sugar dragon.

I've reintroed some peanuts today - separated them out from other legumes since I've never stayed away from them before. I

@Mevans I didn't make the wraps yet but i have a recipe I've used before and it's quite good though maybe a little delicate...http://againstallgrain.com/2011/05/04/grain-free-tortillas/

@marianned I like your idea of another challenge. Good on you for getting up for 7:00 am yoga!! I'm trying to be physically active everyday. Be it the gym, walking or bicycle commuting. 

@Nana Valente that Brazilian drink sounds sooo yummy. I don't know if we can even get that liqueur here!

@Miranda E what kind of drink was it that you tried? I'm curious after my prosecco taste test.  Did you try any other alcohol? 

@marianned I am doing another whole 30. @Mevans I tried peanut butter and it gave me a stomach ache. But that did not stop me from eating it again! So I still have some work to do. I am also doing 30 days of yoga but that has been since 4/15. I am about to start Yoga teacher training in June! which is very exciting. The other thing I realized since reintro but not a reintro is that if I eat the same food too many days in a row my gut acts up badly. But because the rest of my diet was really clean I was able to pinpoint it to too much kale.  I am really grateful for the 30 days and that is why I want to do another 30 to get really, um "regular" if you know what I mean! :P

I have a lot of energy and overall feel really good. Hope everyone has a great day!

@harpchick I had some rye. I didn't try it with anything else. Just some gingerale, which made it way too sweet. Juice is sweet too, so I might have to mix it with club soda and lime. We shall see. I didn't drink a whole lot before this, so it's not that big of a change for me.

I didn't cave and eat chips and dip yesterday. Haven't quite figured out why I wanted them..but that was my dinner =\ They sure were good and I only felt a tiny twinge of guilt instead of the full blown guilt I would have felt before this. So, I am gonna take that as one step closer to food freedom. And I actually only ate a small bowl worth so that's a win, didn't finish the bag like I would have in the past.

But will be cleaning up the diet the next few days because the overall feeling after the weekend wasn't great.

@marianned I am a notorious oversleeper/bed-dweller and this is my next habit to improve. I want to become an early riser. I have tried to start this past week, but I figured I'd really start next week, when I'll be in Argentina to study and having school in the morning should motivate me enough to get out of bed before noon. It helps that for the first time I'll be studying something that really moves my heart.

I had a sweet yesterday. It's my favorite and I won't be able to have it for a month while I'm away. It was great, it had no gluten (quindim, if any of you care to be tempted), but I have a bit of a hangover now. I figure it is worth once or twice a month, but no more than that.

Archived