Help with healthy fats

Cbowman2010

Hello everyone! 

This is my second attempt at the Whole30. My first one I made it 27 days, and ended it at a birthday party unfortunately. But anyway, this go around I'm on day 25, and excited to finish strong and continue going after my 30 days is up. My question for you guys is what kind of healthy fats can I consume to help me feel full longer? Avocado is not an option, I've honestly tried it and it's not for me. Other than that, I do eat whole30 compliant nuts and use coconut oil while batch cooking. Do I have any other options? I am struggling with getting my fats in at every meal. Any feedback is appreciated! 

Thanks

-Courtney 

3 minutes ago, Cbowman2010 said:

Hello everyone! 

This is my second attempt at the Whole30. My first one I made it 27 days, and ended it at a birthday party unfortunately. But anyway, this go around I'm on day 25, and excited to finish strong and continue going after my 30 days is up. My question for you guys is what kind of healthy fats can I consume to help me feel full longer? Avocado is not an option, I've honestly tried it and it's not for me. Other than that, I do eat whole30 compliant nuts and use coconut oil while batch cooking. Do I have any other options? I am struggling with getting my fats in at every meal. Any feedback is appreciated! 

Thanks

-Courtney 

Cooking fat doesn't generally count and nuts are a poor quality fat and should be limited--maybe a closed handful every other day. 

But there are so many other delicious fats! Personally, I rely on homemade mayo (which can become the base for lots of delicious sauces), clarified butter (ghee) and of course olives and olive oil. (Plus avocados. Do you not like them?)

15 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

Cooking fat doesn't generally count and nuts are a poor quality fat and should be limited--maybe a closed handful every other day. 

But there are so many other delicious fats! Personally, I rely on homemade mayo (which can become the base for lots of delicious sauces), clarified butter (ghee) and of course olives and olive oil. (Plus avocados. Do you not like them?)

I do not like avocados what so ever! I didn't know cooking fats didn't count for my fat source. I do use ghee occasionally. I hate olives as well. What kind of things do you use with the homemade mayo?

6 minutes ago, Cbowman2010 said:

I do not like avocados what so ever! I didn't know cooking fats didn't count for my fat source. I do use ghee occasionally. I hate olives as well. What kind of things do you use with the homemade mayo?

As others have noted, mayo can go with everything. But I particularly like it in tuna salad, egg salad and deviled eggs, as a tarter sauce or baked on top of salmon, and in "dump ranch" dressing (you'll find the recipe online; I take mine in a dill direction). 

• Moderators

Cooking fat often doesn't count because you don't always actually eat it -- a lot of times it stays in the pan, or if you've used a tablespoon of oil to cook multiple servings of something, it gets divided up so you're not necessarily having that much fat from it. So it counts some, but only as much as you actually eat. 

Mayo is great, and really versatile -- you can dip your vegetables in it, coat lean fish in it and cook it like in this recipe (obviously sub ghee or olive oil for the butter it calls for), make potato salad or coleslaw. 

You can also make sauces to put over meat or vegetables, like pesto or chimichurri or hollandaise or the Moroccan Dipping Sauce in this chicken recipe. Or look for salad dressing recipes that you can use to dip food in, like this creamy Italian or this tahini dressing.

And don't forget that any form of coconut is a fat, so you could use coconut milk in soups or curries and add toasted coconut flakes to your vegetables and salads, or just eat them as a side with your meal.

• 3 weeks later...

Coconut oil in your daily coffee, 1TBSP if you can! I personally love it... also you can put ghee in your coffee if you prefer.

Coconut BUTTER (comes in a jar), you can put it on top of sweet potato "toast" along with some almond butter.

Add shredded unsweetened coconut on top of any fruits that you consume?

It's true when cooking in a skillet you don't retain a ton of your cooking fats but you can roast your veggies (sweet potato fries, asparagus, broccoli, potatoes, pretty much ALL veggies) in the oven, drizzling them first with a lot of avocado oil and then seasoning with salt/pepper or adding other spices for flavoring.

Or if pan cooking veggies, melt ghee on them like you would butter, then add salt pepper.

Also I'm not a big fan of avocado either, but I'm trying to learn. Still can't do it straight but I will dice it into my mexican foods, nice and small so I don't really notice it, or mix it into tuna/chicken salads. You can make deviled eggs where you mix avocado into the yolks too. With enough salt/pepper and mixed with other flavors you won't really notice it but will get the benefits.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to start my Whole30 and I can often get a little TOO strict. I get caught up with having too much or not the perfect amount- especially fats. A lot of recipes have cooking fat and in the book its says to count that as fat. Does that mean I don't have any other fat if I have cooked something in fat? For example- I can already see myself getting caught up with not having any other fat outside of the 2 tablespoons a recipe calls for to cook with. Is it ok to add avocado if you already cooked with oil? Things like that. People keep referring to the meal template but I feel like I either don't understand it or I am freaking myself and already being too strict?

I just don't want to be having too much or not enough of something. Eek! Any advice?

It's really hard to eat too much fat and most people seem to undereat it at first.  And, like this post says, some of the cooking fat stays in the pan or is spread over multiple servings, so a lot of people don't count the cooking fat. 

From the meal template, which granted is confusing in the fat portion, pick one to two of the fat options.  Every meal. 1/2 an avocado and an open handful of olives?  Great.  Full can of coconut milk in a curry.  Great.  Salad with olive oil dressing and an open handful of coconut flakes on it?  Great.  

I also personally find that mixing up protein sources as far as leanness of the meat helps me.  For instance, say lean chicken breast is your favorite?  Try to mix in fattier cuts of meat into different meals.

Cooking fat isn't usually counted. Much of it stays in the pan and you're often cooking multiple servings. 

Fat is your friend on Whole30. It will help you feel satisfied and alert. 

Follow the meal template! It's also your friend and it's simple: 1-2 palms of protein, 1-2 fats and 1-3 cups of veggies--i.e. fill your plate. Repeat for 3 meals a day

Don't overthink things and don't undereat--which newbies often do.

You can find the template here.

On 6/1/2017 at 10:49 AM, ks23023 said:

I'm allergic to avocados, so following this to find some ideas.  I can only eat so many olives, lol!

I'm also allergic to avocados and like you, also interested in more ideas for fat sources.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2017 at 7:32 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Cooking fat often doesn't count because you don't always actually eat it -- a lot of times it stays in the pan, or if you've used a tablespoon of oil to cook multiple servings of something, it gets divided up so you're not necessarily having that much fat from it. So it counts some, but only as much as you actually eat. 

Mayo is great, and really versatile -- you can dip your vegetables in it, coat lean fish in it and cook it like in this recipe (obviously sub ghee or olive oil for the butter it calls for), make potato salad or coleslaw. 

You can also make sauces to put over meat or vegetables, like pesto or chimichurri or hollandaise or the Moroccan Dipping Sauce in this chicken recipe. Or look for salad dressing recipes that you can use to dip food in, like this creamy Italian or this tahini dressing.

And don't forget that any form of coconut is a fat, so you could use coconut milk in soups or curries and add toasted coconut flakes to your vegetables and salads, or just eat them as a side with your meal.

Thank you so much for this!  I didn't realize that pesto or chimichurri could help with adding fat to my meals! While I love me some avocados, I don't want to get sick of them eventually. Going to try those two recipes out!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2017 at 9:32 PM, ShannonM816 said:

On 5/15/2017 at 0:14 PM, MamaBearScott said:

Coconut oil in your daily coffee, 1TBSP if you can! I personally love it... also you can put ghee in your coffee if you prefer.

Coconut BUTTER (comes in a jar), you can put it on top of sweet potato "toast" along with some almond butter.

Add shredded unsweetened coconut on top of any fruits that you consume?

It's true when cooking in a skillet you don't retain a ton of your cooking fats but you can roast your veggies (sweet potato fries, asparagus, broccoli, potatoes, pretty much ALL veggies) in the oven, drizzling them first with a lot of avocado oil and then seasoning with salt/pepper or adding other spices for flavoring.

Or if pan cooking veggies, melt ghee on them like you would butter, then add salt pepper.

Also I'm not a big fan of avocado either, but I'm trying to learn. Still can't do it straight but I will dice it into my mexican foods, nice and small so I don't really notice it, or mix it into tuna/chicken salads. You can make deviled eggs where you mix avocado into the yolks too. With enough salt/pepper and mixed with other flavors you won't really notice it but will get the benefits.

Thanks for these ideas! The healthy fats are something I've been struggling with because I'm not a cook and didn't know how to incorporate them into my meals other than eating them as a side, and I do not like olives and can eat avocados only when they're mixed with something. I'm definitely more excited and ready to experiment now that I have some fresh ideas! 

Archived