erincita123

Any vegetarian/vegan success stories out there?

I'm also a "mostly vegetarian," and the no legumes or grains science appears (to my non-scientist eyes) exactly as compelling and skewed as the "no animal protein" China Study info, or all the other cherry picked science out there in eating plans. After going through it all for years, I'm TIRED!

I've just found this new (to me) Whole 9 program, will order the book (and it will live next to all the other books in time I'm sure!), but I am wondering about cholesterol, the cost of such a meat-heavy diet, and mostly at the science - sources would be appreciated - for the anti-grain and legume philosophy. And then I want to see if I can do this! Thanks. Marjie

I was just re-reading a section in ISWF regarding cholesterol in red meat. It's really a non-issue.

May I recommend that you watch "Fat Head"? It's on Netflix and really explains how and why fat (in meat) became demonized as causing heart disease. Even if it doesn't convert you (it's a free country and I'm not bothered if you choose to eat only plants), it will open your eyes a bit. :-)

Robb Wolf's "The Paleo Solution" covers a lot of the science, and Jason Seib's "The Paleo Coach" (which I haven't yet purchase/read) comes highly recommended, as well.

I'm in my 40s, had 18 years as a strict vegetarian... Developed gluten intolerance... Started eating meat and gluten free grains. Did a gluten intolerance trial and developed dairy intolerance. Tried being vegan for 6 months but after an initial improvement went downhill rapidly. Did a month or two of paleo followed by a whole30 and what do you know first time all my blood work pretty much got into the heathy range. Family history of gall bladder disease, heart disease, cancer and diabetes ... These are all systemic inflammation diseases. Grains, legumes and dairy = inflammation. Paleo = health. Whole9 = reduced inflammation!

I'm on day 20 now of a vegetarian Whole 30.  So far, no problems at all.  I'm not vegan on this diet (I eat approved yogurt each morning), but I'm also not eating a lot of eggs (since they make me gag--I'll add them to other dishes when I can).  Tempeh is a staple, as are the approved legumes (lentils especially).  More than anything, it requires lots of pre-planning.  After 20 days, however, it is very easy and I'm completely used to the increased meal prep time (which is actually nice) and the non-bread breakfasts (the thing I miss the most).  I'm also exercising very regularly during this whole thing (at least 5 days a week), and I've only had a couple of days of low energy--but those were mainly in the first week of the diet.

I hope it worked for you or if it didn't, you're willing to try again! 

I am very happy to have come across this thread. As a mostly vegetarian, I am starting the Whole30 tomorrow to try another "reset".  It's very difficult now a days to know what's right and what's wrong when it comes to our health. I feel pulled in opposite directions after reading so many opinions on forums here, reading the China Study, and watching documentary' s such as Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and Forks Over Knives.  We all came here for a reason.  In search of answers, trying to heal our bodies, break the sugar fix or to shed some pounds. My diet hasn't been perfect lately and I'm struggling to eliminate natural and artificial sugars, msg, hfcs, etc etc etc!!    I was worried the Whole30 wouldn't be possible for me to do without having to eat steak, pork or chicken.  But thanks to so many comments on this board, I'm feeling confident that I can do this successfully.  Here's to a future success story being posted below :)

My cholesterol numbers greatly improved after going paleo.  A couple years ago I got a quite bad cholesterol test result and was told to go "low fat, whole grians, etc" - I did the opposite and in less than a year completely changed my cholesterol profile.  My total numbers are high, but the doctor said my ratios were so good that he didn't have any concerns.  And my triglycerides (which are the most dangerous) were so low that the nurse couldn't believe it. And I have a a family history of high (bad) cholesterol so I'm fighting genetics here.

My cholesterol numbers greatly improved after going paleo.  A couple years ago I got a quite bad cholesterol test result and was told to go "low fat, whole grians, etc" - I did the opposite and in less than a year completely changed my cholesterol profile.  My total numbers are high, but the doctor said my ratios were so good that he didn't have any concerns.  And my triglycerides (which are the most dangerous) were so low that the nurse couldn't believe it. And I have a a family history of high (bad) cholesterol so I'm fighting genetics here.

Yay!  Love it.

YES!

Im vegan and crossfit 6 times a week plus olympic lifting classes and pole dance. I,ve just completed the whole 30 challenge, mainly because people told me I couldnt do it, bu tguess what you can! I lost 2.5kg 5cm off my waist 2cm off my hips and 1cm off biceps calves thighs and chest. I also did a baseline work out of row 500m 40 squats 30 msit ups 20mpush ups and 400m run then retested it at day 30 and took 1min off my time. I also learnt alot about eating and performance and as a nightshift worker thought sleep, or lack of,was my issue but as my coaches will testify its food that made all the difference to my performance. I'm not going to lie i did a heap of research to ensure i ate enough protein and tracked my food religiously but soon got the hang of it. The one thing I had to realise is that if i want to see gains food is fuel not masterchef cordon bleu meals , it,s pretty much the same on a daily basis that way the only variable in my training IS my training.

I'm pretty stoked with the results #nomeatathelete

I started becoming a health reformer about two years ago. I say becoming because I still struggled with junk food and sugar until about three months ago. I call myself a health reformer and not a vegan because I will wear leather/fir and do eat honey.

However, for this challenge, I want to take health reform to a whole new level so that I can get healtier! So, I've agreed to join my friend who is a vegetarian in this challenge starting Monday. I actually look forward to it. The real challenge for me will be giving up agave, honey and grains. Most of my food comes from the produce isle and I don't drink anything other than water so most of this isn't a stretch. I have a friend who is a naturalpathic doctor who is about 90% raw who can share with me some really great recipes. What she shares with me, I'll share with you!

I am really excited about this and am glad to be part of this!

"Sounds like everyone here has gone from veg or vegan to eating meat... Really not sure if that is the path for me.

Thank you again for the comments!!!"

Not me, yet!  Not quite. I am veggie now. But I do eat some fish and I definitely eat eggs. Eggs are a good source of B12 for me. I've been in limbo about my diet because I haven't been feeling optimal, health wise. I want to try Whole 30, but the veggie version first (with some fish). But I'm definitely afraid of going back to meat...

Guest Jense58   
Guest Jense58

Well, I must say that as a 'newbie' this thread is a wee bit dis-heartening.  I became exposed to Whole30 to support a colleague ... there is now a group of us at work trying it out. Two of us are veggies, one predominately, but will eat fish. I am a long term vegetarian/mostly vegan ... no dairy, can only eat duck eggs. Legumes in any quantity don't work for me ... and I'm not into grains (though I love pasta, go figure).  I'm also gluten and soy free.  Potatoes and sweet potatoes I love.  I'm not sure that this plan will ultimately work for me with the exception of getting a reset from sugar (a wee bit too much fun stuff happening these days! :).

I am one of those who HAS had great success with green juices (btw, I don't juice sweet fruits, just lemons/limes and the occasional green apple).  I eat fruit - mostly berries and bananas).  But unfortunately living on green juices is not sustainable long term.  I sure as heck wish they were, because that is when I feel my absolute BEST.  If I eat too many avocados, I get fat ... same with coconut. I do NOT do well with a lot of meat ... been there, done that. I DO love my vegetables.  So I would REALLY like to hear of SUCCESS stories with this plan from vegetarians, but more importantly VEGANS.  It will be fun to see how the other gals at work do ... we are a varied bunch and committed to each other's success.

If I eat too many avocados, I get fat ... same with coconut.

um, yes and no: everybody who eats too much in general might gain weight but these foods do not automatically make you fat. Maybe you are sensitive to them and getting inflamed or bloated? That's possible. That said, there are lots of other good sources of fat. Whole30 without coconut or avocado will work just fine.

take a look at this success story: http://whole30.com/2014/09/vegetarian-whole30/

Guest Jense58   
Guest Jense58

errr ... you misunderstand. Obviously overeating anything has consequences, but I'm not referring to that.  By 'too much' I mean that I have to balance how many times per week I can even have any avocado, and must be very careful to balance the amount.  I don't test as having any sensitivity to them.  Yes, I do have sensitivity to coconut so have to balance those even more so -- I pretty much just steer clear.   Nuts, same thing.  I pretty much stick with hemp and chia seeds, and organic cold pressed olive oil.

Just putting it out there that I'm doing Whole30 as a vegan.  I just might be the only one.  My energy is amazing and I am strong.

I'm on Day 5 and it's not a far stretch from my regular diet.  I don't believe too many grains are good for us anyways.  The stretch for me is to keep away from legumes.  I'm in Canada and it's freezing out, so I like a lentil curry as a comfort food every couple of weeks. The vegetarian/vegan list includes some beans and tofu, but I am planning to avoid these because tofu bothers my belly and, well, I like a challenge.  

Only being on Day 5, I know I'm early in the game, but I'm hoping to find others who can relate or be inspired if they're afraid it will be difficult without eating animals.  

I think people who do this as vegetarians and vegans need to keep in mind that we should be eating a LOT more than others.  When I don't eat huge meals, I don't have energy.  

I'll post when I'm actually reaching the 30 day point so you can see I'm still alive :)

Hi grassfedgirl,

I love your name (in that I'm grassfed, myself).

Thanks for asking! Here is something I posted on another forum:

I'm doing the Whole30 as a vegan (NO eggs, dairy, chickens, fish, etc). It's not a very far reach from my regular, very clean diet. The big jump for me is to omit most legumes as well as the occasional rice or bean based pasta. I think for 30 days, it's no problem, but that would not be sustainable for me. The veggie/vegan suggestions by Whole30 include a lot of tofu. That makes me gassy, and I don't like too much soy in my diet, so I don't include that one.

I'm only on the 5th day. I've been eating a lot (like, A LOT), as I do in my usual diet. It is not impossible at all.

Breakfasts are always smoothies (I use a protein powder that includes some stevia (yes, stevia, but this is vegan, so I'm fine to make that exception), which I mix with hemp powder that is very not-sweet).

Lunches and dinners may include:

zucchini pasta,

guacamole + veggies,

blended veggie soups with lots of spices,

raw spring roll wraps inside of cabbage, sweet / regular potatoes,

Veggie curries

kelp noodles &

huge salads.

I snack a lot in between, on tiger nuts (they are naturally sweet), veggies, almond butter, and these lemon-coconut-coconut oil-hemp heart bars I made (Yes, I made a bar. Again, a vegan exception to make an omega-and fat-filled bar snack).

I have a spiralizer to make vegetable noodles, a juicer, and a dehydrator to make crackers from juice pulp. These will all help me.

I also drink a lot of herbal tea, some decaf coffee with coconut oil, and other tonics I make. I don't eat out or buy pre-made food, just like my usual diet. An exception would be to buy fresh vegetable juice if out.

I have seen that protein powders are pooh poohed a bit on here. I prefer mine to eating tempeh or tofu.

Hope I've made it seem a bit easier!

Jjo

Hey jjo,

as I already said, I find it super awesome to see you doing this as a vegan! <3

I was just wondering, if you don't eat any (or hardly any) legumes, where do you get all that protein from (to "comply" to the meal template)? Are you trying to make up for it by eating sh!t-tons of nuts and seeds?

I'm a vegetarian who is on Day 29 of the Whole 30 - and I've loved it. I started out trying to comply with the regular rules just without meat but after about a week I felt kind of weak (I get a lot of exercise) and decided I needed to add more protein. I had been eating eggs but that didn't seem to be enough. So I added organic plain whole fat yogurt for a week and it didn't seem to cause any problems and the weakness got better. The next week I added some legumes which I soaked. All weakness and any tiredness left. In fact I am sleeping great and have tons of energy in the day.

So anyway, I count myself as a vegetarian Whole 30 success story!

I added organic plain whole fat yogurt for a week and it didn't seem to cause any problems and the weakness got better. The next week I added some legumes which I soaked. All weakness and any tiredness left. In fact I am sleeping great and have tons of energy in the day.

Yes! Joyce, that is exactly why the vegetarian version of the whole30 exists. Doing regular whole30 but just leaving out the meat puts you in a position of limiting the protein you need to thrive. Yay for figuring that out and having a great whole30 experience!

I am doing this as a vegetarian whole 45 as well-I am on day 30 now. I have been eating a lot of eggs, some tofu and tempeh although I am not a huge fan of either and of course tons of veggies and sweet potatoes. I have been a vegetarian for 22 years now since I was 14 and would never eat meat again but I am very satisfied with my meals. I started the whole 30 mainly for a sugar/food addiction and I have to say that there is valentines day chocolate in my fridge (I have a 3 and a 5 year old) and I have not even thought about it---amazing for a chocoholic. I eat three meals a day and am not hungry between my meals--it feels great. I have not had beans or legumes more because of the time it takes to make them and I have been doing fine with energy and moods...