erincita123

Any vegetarian/vegan success stories out there?

Hi!

Since nobody else wanted to discuss the vegetarian's/vegan's favourite question, "where do you get your protein?" in this protein-based forum, I thought I'd give it a go.  Let me start by saying I'm not here to argue, and I'm very aware that a forum for a "diet" based highly on animal proteins will not be full of people who believe that animal protein is unnecessary.  I just want to let you know what I, and many others, believe.

To me, protein is a necessary nutrient for building muscles and helping our bodies function.  However, I don't believe that "the best kind" comes from animals.   Protein is made up of 20 different types of amino acids, 11 of which our bodies make naturally.  The 9 leftover aminos are called "essential amino acids," and we need to get those ones from food.  So, our bodies need these amino acids, but not necessarily protein.  Actually, these amino acids are first synthesized by plants, and are present in animals only because they eat the plants.  

So, when people eat a diet full of whole foods, meaning full of all colours of fruits and veggies, plus some legumes, nuts and seeds, they will ingest all essential amino acids that they need.  There are many pro athletes, cross-fitters, and runners who thrive on plant based diets.  Personally, I think that the people who aren't "getting their protein" (to me, amino acids) are very likely not eating a lot of colourful fruits and veggies.  

I like to close this discussion by asking, "Where does a cow get its protein?" (Answer: from plants)  Why aren't we worried where a cow gets its protein!?

Grizzly Bears eat people.  They also eat Whitebark pine seeds and huckleberries.  When a grizzly bear takes down a deer, they usually bury the carcass.   They are one of the most intelligent predators on the face of the earth.    The grizzly doesn't worry that the deer or elk  is eating plants.  The grizzly doesn't worry how the salmon makes it upstream.   The grizzly is going to survive.

My authentic Paleo ancestors would've been extinct long ago if they'd tried to make it through a harsh -40 below zero winter without anything to eat.   Lakes and rivers freeze, the ground is covered in 6 feet of snow.  The herbs, plants and leaves are gone in the winter months.  Hunting was for survival.   It's primal, it's real and there weren't any Paleo desserts to fill in the cracks.   No one had bars for genuine emergencies.   Every day was an adrenaline rush or a day of adrenal fatigue.   It was eat or become sick and die.

It often takes a health crisis before many of us come to the crossroads of taking charge of our own health.   It may not knock on the door for many years but when it comes - most of us scramble to make real changes...real fast.

I'm pretty close to the well.  It was only when my ancestors adopted a SAD way of life that things became very sad.

Diabetes, heart disease and cancer.    I'm going back to the old ways.   They were better.

I respect the vegetarian point of view.   I really do.   We want you to be in good health all of the days of your life.

poze-cu-ursi-in-natura.jpg

Hello all!  I saw this thread and hope it will help me out! 

I am on day 5 of my whole 30 and seriously struggling with all the meat I have to eat!  You see I'm not really vegetarian or vegan but I lean towards eating that way because I really hate the texture of meat at times.  I have been low amounts of meat since I was 10, that's when my distaste of meat started.  Before whole 30 I kept my meat intake pretty small, I ate healthy, more like a vegetarian and did not even touch white sugar.  But my body is 40lbs over weight and I have inflammation issues, so I knew something wasn't right, also I was hungry all the time, so my body was wanting to burn carbs and not fat.  So I decided to give this whole 30 thing a try and see what happens.

I was okay with the large amount of meat that I was supposed to eat until day 3, then the texture got to me and I have been on the verge of throwing up every time I eat.  I already have noticed that I have decreased my meat serving because I just cannot fathom eating that much meat three times a day!  It's like this big mountain I have to climb that seems impossible.  I know that sounds silly but that is exactly how I feel about the amount of meat that I am attempting to eat!  I'm doing a palm size serving as they suggest.

I know myself well enough that if I have to continue this I will continue to decrease my protein amount because I just can't handle it.  So I really need ideas so that I don't give up!!!!! 

Thanks

I was okay with the large amount of meat that I was supposed to eat until day 3, then the texture got to me and I have been on the verge of throwing up every time I eat.  I already have noticed that I have decreased my meat serving because I just cannot fathom eating that much meat three times a day!  It's like this big mountain I have to climb that seems impossible.  I know that sounds silly but that is exactly how I feel about the amount of meat that I am attempting to eat!  I'm doing a palm size serving as they suggest.

I know myself well enough that if I have to continue this I will continue to decrease my protein amount because I just can't handle it.  So I really need ideas so that I don't give up!!!!! 

Thanks

Oh my gosh! I'm the same way; I can't stand the texture! I can't imagine reintroducing meat just for the Whole30. That's rough. 

I was actually reading a book that mentioned all the mineral benefits of liver. I wasn't about to start eating liver, but I thought, if I could take a pill…. So I bought desiccated liver pills….powdered liver, from grass fed organic cows in Argentina! That made me throw up. So having not eaten meat in 20 years, I'm guessing I don't have the ability to digest it anymore. I don't know, but I stopped taking them, and I stopped throwing up. Maybe my body was rejecting it?

Maybe your body is rejecting it too? And of course, when you think about it, that may gross you out and too, which might force you to throw it up.

I did the whole thing with just eggs. I didn't add dairy or legumes. If you can handle eggs. Maybe try that? It's the closest thing to the real Whole30 without having to actually eat any meat. It really didn't bother me, but I can see why one might get sick of eggs.  I mean, if I averaged about 5 eggs a day… that's 150 in 30 days! Oddly enough, it didn't bother me. 

Otherwise, you might want to completely switch to the vegetarian version . Throwing up is not the goal and not getting enough protein and nutrients doesn't cut it! Be well!

For those trying to transition back to eating meat, one of things that may help is bone broth. It contains animal protein, but in high digestible form which is part of what makes it such a good food to eat when illness strikes--your body doesn't have to work too hard to digest and utilize it. Some folks also have an easier time with fish.

Your body is a pretty adaptable thing, but it takes time to up-regulate or down-regulate the appropriate enzymes because your body needs to consistently get the signal that "Hey, this is important enough to expend energy and resources on!"

Hello everyone!

First off , very interesting to read your experiences on giving up meat and going back to it.I am on day 2 of whole 30, prepped my lunches and excited to get going. I was just thinking that since I was vegetarian, I would need to eat an awful lot of eggs. Wondering what other interesting ways people got their protein ?  I come from a traditional vegetarian(for generations removed as far as I can remember for religious and ethical reasons) Indian family not going to be eating meat no matter what. I read a whole section on the whole 30 website trying to convince me to eat meat but one has  to understand, no matter what our paleolithic ancestors ate, my immediate ancestors ate something else-didn't grow up hunting animals for food and our bodies and digestive systems are just not geared towards meat. I would definitely have side effects eating meat.I try little pieces now and then and it makes me want to throw up. Tofu isn't really part of our diet either. Lentils though are hard to let go. Wondering if anyone successfully incorporated lentils in to their whole 30 diets? Would love to know your experiences :)

Hi everyone!  Getting ready to start next week.  I want to finish the book, do my shopping and preparation or I know I'll slide off as my willpower is pretty non-existent!  I don't eat meat and don't want to go back to it.  It started as a texture thing (from a bad experience, long story) but I do feel better not eating it.  I do however eat fish and not very strict vegetarian (or rather pescetarian) as I'll use beef or chicken broth, even bacon grease for flavor, lol.   So I think with the fish and eggs I should be good.  I saw earlier in this post someone said W30 was good with tofu but I read in the book, no tofu because it's soy.  So any clarification?  I want to go the true basic route the first time as I too have a wicked addiction to sweets and that's what I want to get off of.  I'm hoping this will diminish my cravings for something sweet after savory, which starts a cycle.  Also sinus headaches almost daily which some say is a dairy allergy.  Don't drink milk but love cheese.  So we'll see what happens!

I'll check back in when I get started and wish me luck!

Hi @lcbp18 - since you are a pescetarian that will also use animal products from time to time, I would highly suggest that you run through the omnivore program for 30 days without including any vegetarian protein sources. If you want to get a baseline with which to do reintroductions and find out how some of those vegetarian protein sources affect you, discluding them for 30 days is important. 

Have a read through this article for more info: http://whole30.com/2015/06/veg-whole30/