Supplements - enhance results? Minimize symptoms?

mrsmonte02a

Hi...prepping and planning for day 1 on Monday. I have the whole30-recommended fish oil, vitamin d, magnesium and multi vitamin along with digestive enzymes 

I've been searching and reading forums before posting these questions but can't seem to find any blogs or users mentioning incorporating the supplements into their whole 30. I am interested to see how it helped, enhanced or eliminated symptoms throughout the plan. Any comparisons for those who have done with and without?

2-6 digestive enzyme tablets per meal seems like a lot. I guess I am nervous about the effects of these new supplements. 

Also I have read that oral magnesium is harmful and had planned on taking oral form. Anyone find this not to be true?

Any tips & help is greatly appreciated. I am excited to partake on my whole30 journey and cannot wait to see how I do and what is in store for me. 

Most people who take supplements during a Whole30 are doing so because they have conditions they are specifically treating or managing with the help of supplements. Many people don't take any supplements during their Whole30 because, for them, they are getting adequate nutrition from the food they are eating and have no issues with sleep or digestion, etc. 

Digestive enzymes can be helpful if you're used to eating significantly less animal protein as the body takes a while to start producing the specific enzymes required for processingaimal proteinst.

Magnesium helps in terms of muscle relaxation, and so aids in the bathroom department as well as in sleep - modern farming techniques are responsible for the decrease in the bioavailability of magnesium in the soil & so a magnesium supplement will do no harm  - the vast majority of the western world are magnesium deficient.

Depending on where you live in the world, and how much time you spend outdoors, it could be that you are vitamin D deficient & a D3 supplement will help with lifting mood, particularly in meno/post-menopausal women whose bodies are less able to store or produce vitamin D3.

Fish oil again will do no harm as most folk have an omega 6 fatty acid heavy diet - omega 3 & specifically the DHA's found therein negate the effects of the inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids and are linked to better mood, and will help with concentration.

Hope this helps.

Archived