substitute orange juice concentrate for honey

HelenLA

I'm currently doing my third Whole30 and wanted to try something different. I found a recipe for slow cooker orange chicken in Danielle Walker's book Against All Grain. the recipe calls for one third cup of honey which I know is out but I was thinking of using some orange juice concentrate in place of the honey. I have not decided how much to use but I think one third cup would be too much. I plan to make a triple batch of the recipe so that would be one cup of honey and I was considering using 1/3 up to 2/3 cup of honey in my substitution triple batch. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does this still seem compliant? I'm not trying to recreate a food that is a weakness for me. In fact I never eat orange chicken when I get Chinese food but this just sounded good. Any thoughts on the amount of the substitution? Or does anyone else have a slow cooker orange chicken recipe? I found some Whole30 recipes but they weren't for the slow cooker and they also called for other ingredients that I do not currently have and did not want to buy.

No sugar or honey or other sweetener on a Whole30 (which you know as an experienced Whole30-er). :)

It doesn't matter what you are or aren't trying to recreate. If you consume the honey, you're no longer doing a Whole30. 

• Moderators

If you mean you're considering using 1/3 to 2/3 cups of orange juice concentrate, not 1/3 to 2/3 cup of honey (I'm assuming that's a typo), it would be fine to use. I'm not sure of the amount to use -- you don't want too much liquid because you don't want it to end up soupy. Also, while the orange juice will increase the sweetness, it might make the orange flavor a little much, but I guess you won't really know til you try. 

17 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

No sugar or honey or other sweetener on a Whole30 (which you know as an experienced Whole30-er). :)

It doesn't matter what you are or aren't trying to recreate. If you consume the honey, you're no longer doing a Whole30. 

ArtFossil it was a typo. As I said previously this is my third Whole30 and I know that honey is out. I am thinking of substituting orange juice concentrate. I think I am going to make a triple batch but only use one third cup of the orange juice concentrate in place of a whole cup of honey. I'm not going for sweetness as much as flavor and I think more than one third cup would be too sweet. I just wanted to get input on weather this seemed if he as far as the rules to anyone or if anyone had any input on substitution amounts from their own experience. sorry about the typo

14 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

If you mean you're considering using 1/3 to 2/3 cups of orange juice concentrate, not 1/3 to 2/3 cup of honey (I'm assuming that's a typo), it would be fine to use. I'm not sure of the amount to use -- you don't want too much liquid because you don't want it to end up soupy. Also, while the orange juice will increase the sweetness, it might make the orange flavor a little much, but I guess you won't really know til you try. 

yes it was a typo. I think I will use one third cup because I don't want it to be too sweet I'm not sure if I would like it that way. After the chicken is done cooking you take it out of the slow cooker and cut it up but you also remove the liquid and reduce it on the stove and re-add it so it's not soupy. I hope it turns out well.

1 hour ago, HelenLA said:

ArtFossil it was a typo. As I said previously this is my third Whole30 and I know that honey is out. I am thinking of substituting orange juice concentrate. I think I am going to make a triple batch but only use one third cup of the orange juice concentrate in place of a whole cup of honey. I'm not going for sweetness as much as flavor and I think more than one third cup would be too sweet. I just wanted to get input on weather this seemed if he as far as the rules to anyone or if anyone had any input on substitution amounts from their own experience. sorry about the typo

Sorry for doubting you, Helen!

Archived