Night time hunger

For dinner, which I eat around 7 pm, I always have 3-4 oz of protein, 2 cups of veggies (usually roasted or sautéed with oil) and either half an avocado, a handful of olives or 2 T of mayo or olive oil, and by the end of the meal I feel full and satisfied. However, sometimes I wake up around 2 or 3 in the morning and am too hungry to get back to sleep. Is a small snack ok under these circumstances, and what should I have?

If you're too hungry to sleep then, yes, a snack would be okay - protein & fat is always going to be your best option so something like a hard boiled egg, or some cooked meat & guac/mayo...

If it's a regular thing I'd wonder though if maybe there are times when you aren't eating enough through the day? How does 3-4oz of protein relate to the size of your palm? Is your plate FILLED with veg? What are you eating at other meals?

10 hours ago, Alaska Woman said:

For dinner, which I eat around 7 pm, I always have 3-4 oz of protein, 2 cups of veggies (usually roasted or sautéed with oil) and either half an avocado, a handful of olives or 2 T of mayo or olive oil, and by the end of the meal I feel full and satisfied. However, sometimes I wake up around 2 or 3 in the morning and am too hungry to get back to sleep. Is a small snack ok under these circumstances, and what should I have?

I'll just say that if I ate only 3-4 oz of protein, I'd be a zombie! :)

(My palm is more like 6 oz and I frequently ate at the top of the template.)

21 hours ago, jmcbn said:

If you're too hungry to sleep then, yes, a snack would be okay - protein & fat is always going to be your best option so something like a hard boiled egg, or some cooked meat & guac/mayo...

If it's a regular thing I'd wonder though if maybe there are times when you aren't eating enough through the day? How does 3-4oz of protein relate to the size of your palm? Is your plate FILLED with veg? What are you eating at other meals?

It only happens occasionally but thank you for the suggestions. I'll be sure to check the protein. All my meals are basically the same as far as protein/veggie/fat quantities are concerned.

1 hour ago, Alaska Woman said:

protein

Yes, but as I asked above how does 3-4oz relate to the size of your palm? And bear in mind that your nutritional needs will vary from day to day depending on time of the month, activity levels etc...

Archived