Real Eye Opener

We did Whole30 from 4/1-4/30. We were religious about it. Did everything by the book. When we had a question, we googled whatever Whole30 and it always brought me to the forums because others had the same questions and we got our answers. It bummed us out when we saw we couldn't have a lot of things but we adapted and moved on. The entire month we noticed how good we felt. The most noticeable thing for me was that my entire life, when the seasons would change, my sinuses would go crazy. My nose would almost constantly be running or I'd be stuffed up. I'd go through tissues like crazy but for this month, even though we're right in the middle of a particularly nasty pollen season, my nose wasn't stuffed up, I was never congested even for 5 minutes, and I wasn't going through tissues like they were going out of style. Well, after 4/30 we had our cheat day. It was my wife's birthday so we went to lunch at Longhorn and I ate baby back ribs(in and of itself not off program) with BBQ sauce, french fries, and a side of fruit(that was my chosen side). Still drank water. Before that, I had my first cup of coffee with french vanilla coffee creamer in a month. Last night, being my wife's birthday(we're both on program), my mother in law brought us a lasagna and after we had coffee and chocolate cake. 

Well, needless to say, we feel like total garbage. We didn't eat a ton but sitting here, I feel like I ate a 25lb. lead weight and I'm coughing and hacking and blowing my nose like crazy. I feel like a junkie who after a month of being clean went off the wagon and back on the horse. This has been a real eye opener. Well, tomorrow we're back on program. Incidentally, we still have half the cake left and we're going to throw it out and we sent our inlaws home with the rest of the bread and lasagna. My take it's the wheat that is our trigger. But we're going to stick to a more program based diet but more paleo in nature to see how it goes. Again, a real eye opener. 

• Moderators

Wheat can certainly cause these kinds of reactions, but you might want to read through the information here: https://whole30.com/finished/ 

After your next whole30, try doing the reintroductions as explained in one of those links, and then you'll have a better idea of exactly how you ready to different items and can use that information to decide if something like cake is ever worth having or something you want to always avoid.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain. I did my Whole 30 back in September and learned from my reintroduction that Dairy aggravated my allergies and Wheat caused a number of stomach issues. I've been trying to remove these foods from my diet completely, but it's hard to maintain. And when I fall off the wagon, Yes, I feel it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
14 hours ago, bethross said:

I did my Whole30 during April. 

Today I bought a bag of plain popcorn. I ate about 3 servings and I feel terrible. I also ate 2 small pretzels. Ugh. I cannot eat grains like I used to.

I am thankful for the Whole30.

It might be worth it to note that you probably never 'used' to be able to eat them either... it's just that when your system is fighting on all fronts, you don't notice everything... popcorn causes RIDICULOUS bloating for me... looking back, it used to then too but I didn't really notice because I was mostly uncomfortable all the time so it wasn't all that impactful... 

Archived