• Blueberries
  • Cherries
  • Grapefruit
  • Kiwi
  • Melons
  • Plums
  • Strawberries
  • Raspberries

Is there a post here in this forum or an article somewhere else that explains why these are the fruit that Melissa recommends?

Thanks for your help.  My family is finished with our first Whole 30 and trying to implement all that we learned in our new "food freedom."  =)

• Administrators

I don't recall ever seeing an official reasoning behind it but we do know that if you are going to choose fruits, berries are the best choice due to their nutrient profile, fibre content and sugar load. I suspect that these fruits that are chosen as "best" somehow relate to that. Higher water contents, brighter colors, lower sugar loads.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, mbrinva said:

Thanks.  Still looking for a more specific answer if anyone can provide - thank you!

As @ladyshanny has said, it's likely due to fibre/sugar ratio, water content, glycemic loads etc... what sort of more specifics are you looking for?

Just what factors figured into these fruits being on the list and others being off the list.  For example, I love apples. Why are they not on the list?  I have heard berries are high in sugar and some people say to avoid them for that reason.  How did Melissa determine which fruits are on her list?  Does it have anything to do with glycemic index?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mbrinva said:

Just what factors figured into these fruits being on the list and others being off the list.  For example, I love apples. Why are they not on the list?  I have heard berries are high in sugar and some people say to avoid them for that reason.  How did Melissa determine which fruits are on her list?  Does it have anything to do with glycemic index?

It's possible you're overthinking this.  If you like apples, eat an apple.  I don't have the list in front of me but there are MANY similar lists on the internet that list your better options... Some of the lists are about whether pesticides are problematic and where organic really makes an impact and some of them are about higher fibre, lower glycemic index. As you've said, some people say to avoid berries, some people say to steer toward berries.  Your body, your experiment.  If you want to eat fruit, eat it with a meal (not as a snack or on its own), keep it to around 0-2 servings a day and then pay attention to how you feel when you add apple and when you don't... when you add berries and when you don't... 

Archived