Caz's first whole 30

AussieMum

I'm currently on Day 3 of my first whole 30. I've been eating a primal diet for a few weeks, but was eating dairy and dark chocolate. That dark chocolate which started as a tiny square, started to increase until I was eating close to a block per day, so I realised that wasn't going to work. I've had issues with my obsession with chocolate all my life and I really need to break it, so I've started the whole 30.

Day 1 was easy

Day 2 was easy, but I was very hungry, especially before bed.

Day 3 has started with a headache and generally feeling lousy. Yep, right on schedule.

I was following Mark Sisson's exercise program, but hurt my back a few days ago. I thought of postponing starting the whole 30, but decided putting it off wouldn't help.

So now I'm off for breakfast which is 2 eggs, mushrooms and spinach cooked in ghee.

Yesterday I had prawns with sweet potatoes cooked in coconut oil and a carrot for lunch. Dinner was a curried mince dish with onions, carrots, zucchini and approved tomato paste.

Today is Day 4 and I'm a bit sleepy, though I had a late night. I've had some of the leftover mince dish for breakfast with a handful of pistacchios and I'm still not hungry at 11.35am. That's much better then yesterday when I was hungry for most of the day despite eating plenty of food.

Day 30 seems so far away. I've had a few cravings for dark chocolate and full cream milk, but have been able to cope with them.

Thanks Nancy :-)

I've started feeling really emotionally fragile today. I'm angry, irritable, but also teary. I just feel like having a big cry. Who would have thought changing my diet would affect my emotions so much. It's a bit like an extreme version of PMT.

It's 1.20pm now and I'm still not hungry, so might take a nap, then have something to eat afterwards.

I nearly broke the Whole 30 tonight. I was at my daughters drama night and they had a canteen. I looked over and saw some chocolate crackles and thought I'd like one. I nearly bought it without actually thinking. Then I remembered I'm not eating that sort of food anymore. I think if I fail on the eating plan it will most likely be due to picking something up without thinking and just eating it out of habit. My intentions are good, I have strong willpower, but sometimes I do things before my brain catches up with what I'm doing.

I had prawns and pistacchios for lunch and just eggs for dinner. I'm tired and ready for bed, but I know I haven't eaten enough dinner. I might snack on a carrot and some avocado since it's quick and easy (I've already had the eggs) and I need tonight's dinner to be one of those quick and easy meals because I didn't get home until late.

Just signed today off as done, so onto day 5 tomorrow.

I'm currently on day 7 and have had no problems sticking to the program. I've had a busy few days, so I haven't updated every day, but I'm feeling pretty good today. I still think I'm more irritable than normal. I got quite annoyed with someone on another forum who I disagreed with, and it's more difficult than I'd usually find it to just let it go. Normally I'd say my piece, then if they didn't follow it, I'd shrug it off with thoughts that one day they might get what I'm saying, but this time I kept wanting to shake some sense into this stupid woman who was so sure she was right, but was completely wrong.

Ah well, today I had leftover mince and vegies for breakfast. I'm finding having my dinner meal during the day, and saving the breakfast quick cooking meal for dinner, it's easier to stick to the plan. My nights from school pickup till bed is very busy most nights and I have a vegetarian and a type 1 diabetic to cater for, and all 3 of my kids are fussy, so dinner is already stressful enough without trying to make something different for me. The kids wont eat what I'm eating most of the time due to either fussiness, it containing meat, or because their dietician has told them they have to eat carbs. I'll work on their diets once I'm finished with my whole30 because I'll have more energy to do battle.

I am starting to feel more energised than I was before. I'm sleeping well, and I don't feel too tired during the day. I'm still generally fairly lazy, but now it's not because I don't have the energy to do things. It's more a time thing and a feeling that I have so much to do with little help. Getting my kids to help more is also something I plan to change, but they are currently about to start important exams, so that will also have to wait a few weeks.

Will be back tomorrow to update again.

Day 8 and I got a lot done today. I still don't feel like doing much, but once I get started I'm less likely to sit back down without finishing than I was a week ago. Today I was sewing dancing costumes and have almost finished ready for a full dress rehearsal on Saturday. I still have 2 more costumes to make, plus some bits and pieces to add to the ones I've already made.

Eating this way is getting easier and today was one of those days I didn't have to think about what I was going to eat too much. It just happened and was compliant.

Unfortunately last night, tonight, and tomorrow nights I have to stay up late to pick my eldest dd up from work, so I wont be getting as much sleep as I need. I feel much better when I get enough sleep. I may be able to have a short nap on Wednesday once the kids are back at school. Today was a student free day, and tomorrow is a public holiday here.

Day 8 done and dusted, Day 9 tomorrow.

Day 9 is going well. One of the things I'm noticing is that I'm not really hungry and it would be easy to forget meals.

Last night I did a LHT workout but took it easy as I had a sore back for most of last week, so didn't want to overdo it and end up with a sore back again.

I'm sleeping deeply and definitely have more energy today.

Ok, tonight wasn't so easy. I REALLY wanted chocolate. I even had to go to the supermarket for other things, so I had the opportunity to buy some. But I didn't. I'm still sitting here grumpy and craving and wondering what the point of this whole eating plan is, but I said I'd stick to it for 30 days and I will. Last night I was dreaming I was being offered chocolate and I kept saying no I couldn't eat it as I was on the whole30. I really have an issue with chocolate. I know I can't eat it in moderation and I would do better if I kept it out of my life forever, but for now all I can think about is getting through the next 21 days, then enjoying my first piece.

I'm also getting bored with the foods I've been eating, so tomorrow I need to start experimenting a bit more with recipes. I'm not a great cook, so I've stuck to fairly similar meal ideas, though I have changed it around a bit.

Day 10 is over. I'm not sure if I ate enough because I had a really busy day. I also had someone tell me I'd let them down (which I disagree with), and that would usually send me immediately to the chocolate, but so far I'm ok. I think I'm ok because this person consistently blames others for her own mistakes, so I've picked up the pattern. I'm just the person who is being blamed for their disorganisation this time. It's still upsetting though as I've kept my schedule free for the past few weeks, saying to text me when I was needed and I'd be there, and heard nothing. Now it's 2 days until a deadline arrives, and they're upset that I haven't taken care of all of the organisation despite me not having access to any information. Ah well, venting might help and I wont have to deal with this person again after the next few weeks are over.

My back is sore again, so no exercise today, though yesterday I did a LHT workout. My back was fine with that, it's just I've spent the day sewing and bending over the machine hurts my back, especially when it's for hours at a time.

Back tomorrow.

Day 14 now. I've still been going well. I have a reasonable amount of energy and feel more focussed. Yesterday I skipped lunch as I was out at a venue that was supposed to have a suitable meal available, but something went wrong and they only had lollies, chocolate bars and toasted sandwiches with plastic cheese. I decided not to eat anything rather than go off plan ( I really don't want to have to start again from day 1). I had a big dinner though and a big breakfast this morning and I feel ok.

It's interesting that I don't want to restart from day 1, but it's a psychological thing rather than a 'can't wait for this to be over' thing. If I start from day 1 again, I think it will demotivate me, even though I plan on eating a diet much like this after the 30 days are over. I'd like to reintroduce dairy again if I'm able to (I don't crave milk, but love a glass of plain cold full fat milk), but I'm happy with the eating plan otherwise. I also like the idea that once the 30 days are over, it's not the end of the world if I have a piece of something off plan and I can just continue on with the next meal being back on plan. But the main reason I don't want to go back to day 1 is because I will feel as if I failed, and therefore my mind will say I can't do it, so what's the point and I'm worried I'll just go back to eating the rubbish I was eating before.

I thought dairy might be causing some of my sinus issues, but they haven't yet shown any signs of easing off so I'm suspecting it might be a dust, or pollen thing rather than the dairy. I hope so as I enjoy all dairy, but in particular a glass of milk. It's something I enjoy, but not something I crave and I can always have just one with no issues about wanting more. It will be the first thing I reintroduce after the 30 days are over.

Hi Aussie mum, I am only on day 3 so I have enjoyed hering about your journey so far... I woke up tired today too and have been very irritable... Worse things to come? I hate that feeling of being really hungry yet really full too.. For me I think it is my main detoxing side effect. I have been trying not to snack but today I was sort of planning on going for a run but what really decided me was the thought of a guilt free Pre and post WO snack.... Not sure that's the right approach but I will be forgiving since I am only just learning how to do this. I am happy to give up milk, tried it again recently after a month of paleo and the twisted bowels just aren't worth it! Thank goodness for coconut milk!

Hi Juzbo and thanks for dropping by. It's great to see another Melbournian here. There are a few other Aussies, but this lifestyle still seems to be extremely uncommon here. I'll pop in to see how you're going over the next few days if you have a journal.

The first week is definitely tough, though I think looking back those first few days of messed up hunger signals and the emotionally draining, feeling fragile days were the worst. Hang in there it definitely does get better. I'm starting to fit into clothes much better than I did before, and my tummy feels firmer. It's great to be able to see the health improvements starting to happen.

I had an afternoon nap this afternoon after mowing the lawns (they were ridiculously long) because I have to pick up my daughter from work at 11. It's also been a busy and stressful few days, and I'm taking the whole30 emails suggestions to try to destress my life.

Time for my curried mince and vegetable dinner that I prepared earlier.

Hang in there Juzbo, it definitely gets easier.

Gotta say I'm halfway there :-D What a great feeling!! The next 15 days are going to still be difficult as we have 4 dancing concerts during that time, so I'll have to work out how to be prepared for them. I'm feeling pretty good, but I've hurt my back again. This is the third time in 4 weeks I've hurt it. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the changing body distribution, because I'm not really exercising much due to the pain and also being really busy. I didn't exercise before either, so it's not the lack of exercise causing it.

Early night tonight. be back tomorrow for the second half of the challenge :-D

So the second half of the whole 30 begins :-)

I slept really well last night and woke up with my back feeling much better. It's still a little sore, but doesn't 'grab' when I move, so I was able to do most of what I wanted to do today.

My energy levels are good, but I still feel like I could manage a nap each afternoon and staying up tonight till 11 to pick up my daughter is proving difficult.

I've worked out that food for the first 2 dancing concerts shouldn't be a problem, as one I need to get the kids there at 1pm, so I'll have lunch before I go, and it finishes around 4, so I can have dinner as normal. The second one is the following night, from 6.30pm till about 9, so an early dinner and I should be ok.

The 2 concerts the following weekend are from 2-4pm then from 7.30-9.30. Most people are staying at the concert venue in between the concerts, but I think I'll come home, have dinner, then go back.

The countdown is on to getting this done, and I'm looking forward to reintroducing dairy. Unfortunately when I think of the 30 days being over, I still am drawn to the idea of pigging out on chocolate, so I still have a way to go before I'm able to say I've kicked the chocolate addiction. I have a feeling that chocolate is something I'm never going to be able to eat in moderation, but I'm not yet at a place where I can say I wont eat it anymore.

I'm tossing up doing a 30 days on 30 days off whole 30 program. During the 30 days off I'd still be eating primal, but would eat dairy, which I would then remove from my eating plan for the next 30 days. I seem to lose more weight when I'm not eating dairy. I'd hit a roadblock with weight loss while eating dairy and had been stuck for 3 weeks at the same weight. Now I'm not eating dairy, I can see the weight is coming off, without checking the scale.

Back tomorrow.

Day 17 is turning out to be tough. I'm teary again and I just feel like giving up. Usually when I have an emotional day I eat chocolate. Not having that to turn to is difficult for me. I had a nap in the afternoon, but I still feel tired and hungry. I have dinner in the oven, but have just had some carrot and celery sticks to see if I can hold off on eating anything off plan till dinner.

I have a lot going on in life generally, and although I've found it easy up until now to fit the eating plan in with the things I need to get done, today it all feels too hard. I'm tired, stressed, and hungry, even though I've eaten as much as I have over the past few days. I also have to stay up to pick my daughter up from work at 11 again, so no possibility of an early night.

I haven't achieved anything today. Will post again after dinner if I'm still struggling.

Have you tried coconut butter? If you warm it up a tiny bit (in the jar in the microwave for 15 seconds, or in a pan of water), a spoon of softened gooey coconut butter can sometimes satisfy a craving for chocolate. Sometimes. Or a date dipped in warmed coconut butter, Mmm. Hope things feel better for you soon. Hang in there.

Caz I think I read that it is common to experience this in the middle of the whole30 so hang in there! I bought my first jar of coconut butter last week... Worth getting an organic one from the health food shop I reckon. I use it for curries and steak but ghee for eggs and tomato based dishes. Oh, I just saw on a video yesterday that even though milk is low gi, lactose the milk sugar has the same effect on insulin response as white sugar... Not sure if it's true but it would explain weight gain. I can't tolerate milk protein, finally decided the symptoms aren't worth it after eating paleo for two weeks then trying it again! So I am not thinking about dairy (on purpose) but I am thinking often of being able to have hot water cocoa drinks again, and dark chocolate!

Keep your fat content up to reduce cravings, and have a few extra eggs perhaps? Good luck and stay strong!

Hi Juzbo,

I ended up having half an avocado plus quite a few nuts last night and it seems to have helped. I'm still irritable today, but not as fragile, and not as hungry as I was yesterday. I think I'd lowered my fat content a bit too much and there were 2 meals a few days ago where I hadn't planned ahead and there was nothing available for me to eat without going off plan. It was probably a combination of both that caused yesterday to be so difficult. I'd also run down my stocks of paleo foods, so have been shopping today. Yesterday I also cracked an egg and it was filled with mould. The membrane was intact, but I think the shell must have been a bit cracked. It sort of put me off my eggs a little. It's never happened before though so the next carton should be ok.

Tonight for dinner I'm having steak, mushrooms and salad with sweet potato. I've hardly eaten any carbs since starting here, so I think adding a sweet potato might help settle things down a little.

I'm a little lost without dairy. I thought it might have been causing some sinus issues I've had all my life, but so far there hasn't been any improvement. It is hayfever season though. It also hasn't stopped my gastric issues, but I think they might be due to my gallbladder being removed a couple of years ago. I'm planning on looking into ox bile to see if we can buy it here, or something similar if we can't.

Back later.

It is hard to eat enough fat when we are used to restricting it and when we don't have gall bladders! I think it took 7 years for me to adjust.. That's when I started eating meat again anyway I had mine out at 24.

Sweet potato is a good idea, pumpkin too! I try to have one or the other most days especially when exercising. Raw carrots seem to help me too.

Day 19 is over. It was definitely easier than day 17.

Tomorrow is the first of the planned tough days. I have the kids dancing concert and need to leave home around 12.30 and will get home around 5pm. I'd thought to take some nuts to keep me going if I need them but found out one of the kids is highly allergic to nuts (anaphylactic reaction) so it's a nut free zone. Will have a big meal before I leave home and have something quick ready to go when I get back. I'll probably be too busy helping backstage to get hungry anyway.

I don't think I ate enough again today. Life is very busy at the moment, so finding time to prepare meals and eat is a little harder than normal. I had more snacks today than I'm supposed to and didn't really have 3 definite meals, but at least what I ate was allowed.

Not sure if I'll get time to update tomorrow, but will if I get time.

Day 20 is over and went well, though I didn't eat as much as I should have.

I'm ROFL today. One of my pairs of pants that were miles too small are like clown pants on me today. They keep falling down. It's the first definite sign I've seen that my body shape is changing. Looking in the mirror my body looks different, but seeing clothes getting too big is fantastic. Although I didn't start this as a weight loss diet, I was hoping as a side effect I'd get back into the healthy weight range for my height. I think I'm getting close to that now and expect when I weighin at the end of my 30 days I'll be in the healthy weight range again.

Today is day 21 and is another challenging one, with a dance concert on tonight at 6pm. I've already had 3 eggs fried in olive oil for breakfast, and will have chicken wings with salad and nuts for lunch and have mince ready for a quick mince dish for dinner which will probably be after the concert.

I didn't sleep well last night. Yesterday's concert was a bit of a shambles with other peoples kids not getting changed in time for their items and tonight both my kids have very quick changes and I wont be backstage to make sure they get done in time as I'm in the audience. I've been stressing over it all night with little sleep. I know it's not good for me to stress out like that, but none of my stress management techniques worked overnight. I'm going to spend the day preparing everything I can for tonight and hope it will all go well because when it comes down to it it's out of my control. Once I leave them backstage, I can't help them so I have to trust in other people to help them when they need it.

Will be back tomorrow with an update. It feels like the end is really close now.

Archived