No appetite and food just doesn't taste good.

Hi everyone!

I am on day 9 of my first whole30 and I'm feeling pretty great for the most part.  The headaches are no longer around, but I'm exhausted all the time.  My biggest issue is my loss appetite and when I eat, things I enjoyed even a week ago do not taste good.  I even tried eating carrots and even that made me want to stop eating.  I know I need to eat regardless of how my appetite is, but for the past two days I just haven't wanted to.  I did eat breakfast and dinner yesterday , but today I haven't ate yet because nothing seems appetizing.  Is this normal? Any tips? 

Hi Sousten!

Thank you for posting this question. I'm a newbie also, day 10, and I am having the same problem. I checked my calories out of curiosity and I am barely making it above 1,000 calories most days. Before Whole30 I was eating about 2,000 a day, so I should be STARVING!!! 

Somebody, please help us!

:)

Guys, some loss of appetite is fairly normal as your hormones start to settle. Our advice is to continue to plate up template meals and eat as much of them as you can - ensuring you get some of each food group - and then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able (ie. don't wait for the next meal). Your appetite will soon come around again. As tough as it sounds NOT eating only perpetuates the problem,

To help maybe try some new recipe with strong flavours, or opt for comforting foods like mashed root veg, chicken soup (this one from StupidEasyPaleo is really good) etc...

So glad I found this post.  I'm feeling really good but have struggled with loss of appetite.  First was in the beginning; now, day 20 I'm meh about any food.  I've had a couple compliant hot dogs and an apple today and honestly, I'm not hungry and don't feel like having anything more.  Maybe just an off day?  My tummy has been rebelling a bit today so I'm trying to avoid too much raw veggies, and that's pretty much the only way I like them.  Later tonight I may zap a potato and put an egg on it.  

The way out is . . . through. Plate and eat three template meals and your appetite will be back in a day or two. The worst thing you can do is not eat your three meals a day--that will just perpetuate the problem. 

(When I hit the loss of appetite stage in my Whole30 mustard, hot dogs and fresh sauerkraut helped jumpstart my appetite.)

Yup - I'm there too. Day 17. I feel fantastic, but I'm really not eating much and I'm never really hungry. Each meal (and one snack) is tiny - way, way less than I was eating before I began Whole30.  Fruit salad, tea/water & a little leftover chicken for breakfast during the work week, eggs & veggies on the weekends. Drinking a good amount of water during  the day, but nothing outrageous. At lunch, I've got my raw veggie salad with compliant balsamic vinaigrette & some baked chicken/turkey. I immediately devour the protein like it's my job, then graze on the raw veggie salad at my desk for the next hour or so; just picking at it because it's there. When I get home, I have a handful of red grapes and/or a small skinless white potato sliced & baked w/olive oil, sea salt & some homemade ketchup. (Yes, I know that snacking is discouraged, but it's such a small indulgence, it's always totally compliant and yummy; honestly - how bad can it be?) I then make a small compliant dinner an hour or so later, which I pick at for a while until I'm sick of it. I'm totally following the template, my portions are just much, much smaller. I'm not starving, but I doubt I'm eating enough. I feel fine, sleeping great, feeling the tiger blood and plugging along, but I'm worried I'm setting myself up for a crash......thoughts?

32 minutes ago, MarnieFabulous said:

thoughts?

You have to push through it.

Plate three template meals and eat from them what you can, then rather than snacking/grazing go back to the template meals as soon as you feel able. There is no other way. Doing what you've always done gets you where you'v always been.......

I'd also recommend you switch the breakfast fruit for some veg. And fat. You don't really make mention of fat anywhere.

On 5/17/2017 at 6:25 AM, MarnieFabulous said:

I immediately devour the protein like it's my job, 

Oooooh, you made me laugh soo hard. I know exactly what you mean! 

So I ended up blowing it at the three-week mark and I'm starting over today. Grrr.... Just kept feeling like crap even though I was following all the rules. I also hadn't lost a single pound (yes, I know this isn't a weight loss plan), so I decided if I'm going to be fat, I'm doing it with a glass of wine/beer/cocktail in my hand. Four margaritas later, I decided this was a bad call... So here we go again...

Going to keep digging around for advice and hopefully, I will make it through this one. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 3:40 PM, HLN.WLX said:

so I decided if I'm going to be fat, I'm doing it with a glass of wine/beer/cocktail in my hand.

Love this! You are hilarious! 

I have to tell ya - 

I watched my best friend of 25 years literally disappear in front of my eyes over the course of 2 months this past winter. She hates exercise as much as I do, so I had to know her secret. On our way to a concert at the end of April, she claimed she dropped the weight while "loving this new 30 day paleo hummus and flavored water thing." She's hilarious. When she realized these items are not part of Whole30 while actually paying attention to the Whole30 website on our way back from that same concert, she shrugged it off, laughed out loud and said "oh well, who cares - still worked for me."  Again, hilarious. But I have to admit, I was intrigued right away. Since when is hummus a bad thing? Inconceivable! The next few days I did a little research on my own and instantly felt totally overwhelmed and totally discouraged. What would this Whole30 program look like? Feel like? Can I really do this? It took me a couple of days, but I finally decided that the only way I would make it through this Whole30 thing was that I had to trust myself do it my own way, and on my own terms. Any choices I make will directly impact my results, and I made my own peace with that. I adopted the philosophy that Whole30 is liberating, not restrictive, and the whole process immediately became less.......intense, I guess. The only painful part of my Whole30 was being so bored and sooooo sober - I literally went to bed early a bunch of times just so the next day would come that much faster. That was the only really sucky part for me, so I totally hear ya on the margaritas! Oh yeah - I was also struggling with a raging, decades long Diet Coke habit. That withdrawal process was a nightmare. No joke.

In the interest of full disclosure - I made it through the Whole30 program this past May by modifying what I already eat everyday without weaving in all those really weird foods (ghee) and without making all those really super fancy recipes (homemade mayo-really?) I experienced some of the emotional/physical stages mapped out on the website, but not all of them and some worse than others. 30 totally compliant days later, I celebrated 20lbs lighter and binged on anything I wanted for the next 4 glorious days; I never got sick, never had any adverse reactions, never slowly reintroduced foods and loved every single minute of it because I earned all of it. It's an awesome feeling to complete something so incredibly hard and so incredibly selfish like the Whole30. Made it all worth it. Who knew being selfish could be such a healthy feeling? Freud ain't got nothin' on Whole30. Now, I'm back on track for round 2 with my end date being July 4th weekend. Trust me,  there will be many, many frozen strawberry margaritas in my belly that weekend; and BBQ wings, and potato salad, and corn-on-the-cob, etc.. My advice? Celebrate all your good days and go to bed early as often as you can. Make a plan to celebrate at the end, whatever that celebration may look like for you. You're the only one who will know if you fall down - or even care if it counts. Rock this Whole30 thing your own way - it will last longer and will increase your chances of success, however you define it. Hope this helps, as I am no expert, and, after reading this back to myself, I'm now convinced there is probably a gaggle of Whole30 purists somewhere out there gnawing on a carrot & kale sandwiches while using a bucket of ghee to burn my name in effigy ...... 

Good luck!!!  :) 

If Paleo hummus looks something like mashed vegetables, oil, and spices, there is no reason for it not to be compliant. Flavored water is also allowed, so long as all the additions are compliant and it doesn't veer towards being juice.

I'm glad the lack of re intros  worked for you, but I would strongly suggest people follow the re intro schedule for their own benefit.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MarnieFabulous said:

Love this! You are hilarious! 

I have to tell ya - 

I watched my best friend of 25 years literally disappear in front of my eyes over the course of 2 months this past winter. She hates exercise as much as I do, so I had to know her secret. On our way to a concert at the end of April, she claimed she dropped the weight while "loving this new 30 day paleo hummus and flavored water thing." She's hilarious. When she realized these items are not part of Whole30 while actually paying attention to the Whole30 website on our way back from that same concert, she shrugged it off, laughed out loud and said "oh well, who cares - still worked for me."  Again, hilarious. But I have to admit, I was intrigued right away. Since when is hummus a bad thing? Inconceivable! The next few days I did a little research on my own and instantly felt totally overwhelmed and totally discouraged. What would this Whole30 program look like? Feel like? Can I really do this? It took me a couple of days, but I finally decided that the only way I would make it through this Whole30 thing was that I had to trust myself do it my own way, and on my own terms. Any choices I make will directly impact my results, and I made my own peace with that. I adopted the philosophy that Whole30 is liberating, not restrictive, and the whole process immediately became less.......intense, I guess. The only painful part of my Whole30 was being so bored and sooooo sober - I literally went to bed early a bunch of times just so the next day would come that much faster. That was the only really sucky part for me, so I totally hear ya on the margaritas! Oh yeah - I was also struggling with a raging, decades long Diet Coke habit. That withdrawal process was a nightmare. No joke.

In the interest of full disclosure - I made it through the Whole30 program this past May by modifying what I already eat everyday without weaving in all those really weird foods (ghee) and without making all those really super fancy recipes (homemade mayo-really?) I experienced some of the emotional/physical stages mapped out on the website, but not all of them and some worse than others. 30 totally compliant days later, I celebrated 20lbs lighter and binged on anything I wanted for the next 4 glorious days; I never got sick, never had any adverse reactions, never slowly reintroduced foods and loved every single minute of it because I earned all of it. It's an awesome feeling to complete something so incredibly hard and so incredibly selfish like the Whole30. Made it all worth it. Who knew being selfish could be such a healthy feeling? Freud ain't got nothin' on Whole30. Now, I'm back on track for round 2 with my end date being July 4th weekend. Trust me,  there will be many, many frozen strawberry margaritas in my belly that weekend; and BBQ wings, and potato salad, and corn-on-the-cob, etc.. My advice? Celebrate all your good days and go to bed early as often as you can. Make a plan to celebrate at the end, whatever that celebration may look like for you. You're the only one who will know if you fall down - or even care if it counts. Rock this Whole30 thing your own way - it will last longer and will increase your chances of success, however you define it. Hope this helps, as I am no expert, and, after reading this back to myself, I'm now convinced there is probably a gaggle of Whole30 purists somewhere out there gnawing on a carrot & kale sandwiches while using a bucket of ghee to burn my name in effigy ...... 

Good luck!!!  :) 

LOL... I can't quote all the funny things you said cause I"m on my ipad, but you crack me up!  Good for you for getting through the 30 days.  When I did my first Whole30 going on 4 years ago, I did it with nary a sauce, barely a condiment and it was glorious... you definitely don't need the 'specialty' foods to be successful altho you may want to look into mayo... for the sole purpose that it's so amazingly delicious it'll change your life!  (and as easy as pour, dump, sprinkle, crack, bzzz, done!).

All of that kudos said, since you are committing yourself to the 30 days and doing something really hard, you may want to read up on re-intros... it could come out that you're a unicorn that can eat and drink anything with no adverse side effects and that's fine, but you've done 90% of an experiment... the last 10% is where the info is!

I hope to never have to eat a carrot and kale 'sandwich' and I hope no one wastes ghee by burning a bucketful in your name :)

Of course, SugarcubeOD. Quote away. 

Just to add some additional clarity to my previous entry, here are a few cringe-worthy ways I personalized my own Whole30 experience: the purists out there might want to skip over this part......

1.) I always eat my lunch for over an hour at my desk everyday. I'm grazing on it right now as I type yet another random Whole30 forum entry. My lunch is always totally compliant in content and template, I just eat my lunch really, really slowly.......

2.) I snack on fruit 2 -3 times every single day. A banana, bunch of grapes, nectarines, fruit salad, compliant fruit smoothie, you name it! I have definitely slayed that nasty sugar dragon, (that 4-day headache was a nightmare) but I quickly started partying with his delicious fruity little cousins with reckless abandon.....no regrets there. Gets me through many, many moments of hard core sugar cravings.

3.) White potatoes 3-4x/week. Cut like french fries and tossed with olive oil, salt & pepper then baked on parchment paper = HEAVEN! Totally helped satisfy my carb attacks. I admit I did eventually broke down and made my own ketchup, and, in the interest of full disclosure, I also have to admit I now prefer my own ketchup more than my old favorite store bought brand. Wait - what in the world is happening to me? Am I going to have to move to northern California and stop shaving my pits? Who am I right now? Yeesh.

4.) Chili - I basically lived on chili. Chili is my favorite food friend of all time.

5.) No exercise. This also may have to do with the fact it's been raining in Boston for the last 5 consecutive weeks - even my dog has been laying around the house smelling up the furniture since May 1st. Time to start getting the both of us outside (or at least open some windows). :wacko:

6.) No reintroduction program. Just didn't have the patience after Round 1. Wanted to devour everything in sight on Day 30. Some might say I actually did the Whole29. Fine with me. Maybe someday in the future I'll shed my unicorn wings and come back to earth with some honest data around how food effects my mind and body. The sooner the better - I definitely need to slay that awful, snarling, drooling menopause demon beast before my husband throws me out of a 2nd floor window.

In all seriousness, these forums have been a real support system for me since I started May 1, 2017. Great place to visit and hang with my fellow Whole30 soldiers. Good stuff. Thanks for letting me join the party.

Now if I could only quit smoking.......

Archived