Container Gardening

Any of you live in an apartment and grow veggies and fruits from your balcony? If so, I could love to learn what has and has not worked for you. I would love to grow stuff on my balcony! We are also looking into community gardening. Just itching to get back into gardening like we did when I lived at home.. although at home my parents had a five acre garden. I miss it. :(

• 1 month later...

One of the members of my gym asked me if he could do a presentation for the members on "Square Foot Gardening."

I agreed and attended just to be polite. I didn't realize I was even interested.... BUT Oh My Wow. It was amazing. He taught us how to make a 4ft by 1 ft garden that would make salads for two (all toppings - not just lettuce) for weeks at a time. Check it out! It was really cool.

If space is a challenge, I highly recommend growing microgreens!

There's a great how-to book called Microgreens: a guide to growing nutrient-packed greens by Eric Franks and Jasmine Richardson. According to them, it's believed that there's twenty to fifty times as much of the phytonutrient sulfuraphane in broccoli four days after it's germinated than fully grown. Microgreens aren't second best! If you've got a bit of space, some trays, some soil / compost, some water and some seeds, you'll all set.

• 4 months later...

I currently have some plants starting so when summer is here I will have a few things ready to put out. I am growing sweet peppers, and hot peppers (though they are mostly failing), and herbs. This year I am starting from seed, though last year was the first time I tried it, and I bought started plants. I found basil was one of the most versatile. Also had a lot of luck growing peppermint, though had little use for it. Used a lot of fresh thyme too. All my plants died over the winter even though I brought them indoor

I don't exactly have a green thumb though so some of my plants are flopping already, I might still go to a nursery to pick up some started plants.

We've been container gardening for the last three years. Mint, cilantro, green beans and potatoes have worked well for us every year. Our cherry tomatoes have never ripened on the vine, but we did manage to get them to ripen in the house last year. We got decent carrots last year, but they were really small. We had a brilliant crop of spinach and lettuce greens our first year, but haven't had the same luck since. No joy with courgettes, aubergine or chili peppers though.

We haven't started any growing yet as we weren't sure about the weather yet, but I'm planning to try some chard and kale this year, as those are hard to source in the supermarket.

I've got 3 purple bean plants that are growing well. I have 3-5 sweet pepper plants (not sure which color as I planted chocolate, red and orange) and so far only my white habanero is growing out of probably the 2 dozen peppers I planted. Not sure if I over watered, under-watered, didn't provide enough heat, or light, or what.

My stevia, thyme and oregano plants are starting well, and my purple basil, cinnamon & lemon basils are growing well too. My sweet basil fell off the shelf and onto the floor, so it is gone, and I over watered my thai basil, so that is dead too.

I have some strawberry seeds to plant, and I am trying to grow goji berries this year too.

I've thought about trying to container or square foot garden, using a table and putting the containers off the ground so that the rabbits can't reach. Think this might work? I'm pretty sure my landlord will be ok with it.

That's what I'm doing. Those are kale, chard, turnip, and beet babies.

Archived