Can't believe I used to believe this crap

Tasha

Most of us did believe what was taught during the low fat era because the information came from "experts". I use to work for Weight Watchers. I actually lost 25 lbs. using their methods, but a lot of it was from getting off the couch and reducing the portion size of my meals. WW does advocate for healthy fats now and have taken out some of the bad advice like it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay within your points (ie. a processed granola bar over a healthy banana). But the thinking has to be changed with so many people in and out of the medical community. As I always say, eat close to God (or nature) and you can't go wrong. Eat what man provides, it will make you sick.

I am canceling my WW membership today. I am on day 18 and am glad to be enjoying avocados again. I did lose 20 or so lbs. on WW in the past. Never worked counting points just used core or simply filling. Put most back in a year.

Do not feel weight loss yet on Whole 30 but am staying away from the scale . The weather is warmer so I will get out and walk more.

Eating foods as God made them is delicious and healthy. I saw too many videos, in college, in the 70's about factory grown food and now it is even worse.

• 3 weeks later...

I received the GoodHealth magazine in the mail today from my health insurance company, Blue Care Network. There is an article on good fats. Olive, canola, soybean and corn oils, nuts and fish oils are listed as the good. No mention of avocado or coconut oils.

Then they go on to say that "instead of buttering your toast, choose a soft tub margarine that lists unsaturated liquid vegetable oil as the first ingredient."

"When it comes to raising LDL cholesterol, saturated fats are the worst. These fats are found in fatty meats and whole fat dairy products."

Wow.

I have had to get over my anger about being "fed" a bill of goods all these years, because if I didn't I'd be mad almost all the time. I work in an office full of thin women who do nothing but complain about being "fat" but then eat all the disgusting and unhealthy food that seems to be readily available for sharing. (I work at a university, so there are daily emails about "free food from such-and-such event in the faculty lounge," blah blah blah.) Then I have a family that tortured me for my entire life about my weight, but they continue to tell me that moderation is the key and I just haven't figured that out yet. (Did I mention they usually say this while tearing into a bowl of potato chips and sour cream dip?) And don't even get me started on all the marketing messages that continue to push whole grains and dairy.

Okay so maybe I'm still a little mad. :angry:

But in all seriousness, I sort of see this in the same way that I see the changing tides for gay rights. The antiquated homophobic belief system is largely held by a generation that is older than I am, whose numbers are starting to dwindle. I wonder if that will be the case with ideas about what is/is not healthy in terms of nutrition.

Unfortunately, conventional wisdom still reigns supreme, as this evaluation of the most effective diets shows. This has probably been posted before but I'm new so bear with me :)

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets

I found that through a link from a New Zealand online newspaper, weeks ago, before I had any interest in paleo or knew about the Whole 30. The diets aren't evaluated for weight loss, rather for health. It all sounded very sensible to me at the time!

WW ranks at #3, paleo at #28.

I'm just rounding out my first week so I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination (bumbling noob would be a better description!), but what I can say is I have eaten no preservatives or additives for the past week, stuffed myself with fresh vegetables, enjoyed the tastiest meat and eggs I have ever made for myself (hurrah for fat!) and I feel great. I have energy, I'm sleeping well, I'm not constantly looking for my next snack. I feel better right now than any other diet I've been on (and yes, I've done WW. I thought the reason I couldn't stick with it was because I was weak willed and lazy).

I totally get the anger about the lies we've been told. I could draw that stupid food pyramid with the 6-7 daily servings of grains at the bottom off by heart, that's how embedded in me it is. I'm just so glad I have come across this knowledge and that I was able to see past all the conventional wisdom to at least give it a go. It's not surprising so many people can't do that when the experts have been telling us otherwise for so long!

I received the GoodHealth magazine in the mail today from my health insurance company, Blue Care Network. There is an article on good fats. Olive, canola, soybean and corn oils, nuts and fish oils are listed as the good. No mention of avocado or coconut oils.

Then they go on to say that "instead of buttering your toast, choose a soft tub margarine that lists unsaturated liquid vegetable oil as the first ingredient."

"When it comes to raising LDL cholesterol, saturated fats are the worst. These fats are found in fatty meats and whole fat dairy products."

Wow.

Before I left New Zealand in December, there was an ad running on TV which was pushing parents to swap butter for plant-based (ie seed-based) spreads. "Look at all this saturated fat you won't be stuffing into your kids! A+ for parenting!".

(I may have changed the script slightly).

I'm two weeks into my first whole30, and I'm realizing now how deeply imbedded those "low fat" thoughts were in my brain and daily habits. I originally started whole30 because I saw a coworker have such amazing success with it, and because I knew I had an addiction to sugar that I needed to do something about. So for these two weeks, my main focus has been on purging my sugar demons and I have probably been too sparing with the fats these last 15 days. (I too have done the WW thing again and again and that low fat mantra hasn't quite been silenced yet.) I bought ghee on the first shopping trip, but it has sat in my cupboard until today (my brain just kept telling me that olive oil was enough/healthy/etc). I busted out that ghee on my green beans this morning and almost had a foodgasm at the kitchen table. My stomach ache of the last two days is gone, and I'm feeling way better - my poor body was probably begging for that fat. Thanks for this topic - it's really made me rethink what my body needs.

Archived