Starting 5/14

ChristinaL

Hi! I am getting ready to start my Whole 30 journey on Monday, May 14th. I am a bit nervous as originally my daughter and husband were going to join me on this journey but I don't believe they are now. However, I am only making one meal at night, so they will be eating at least somewhat compliant for at least one meal a day:)

I plan to spend this Friday meal planning for next week and shopping/prepping on Sunday - so any tips, advice or encouragement would be great!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh good!  I'm a little nervous about the whole thing.  I haven't gone grocery shopping yet and plan to on Saturday.  I have a few friends who have been very successful with W30, and hope that I can be also.  

Stress is a big factor in my life, so that's usually my excuse to eat poorly.  I need to take control of that!

We Can Do This!!

My husband says he is going to "try" to do this with me. I can't get him to understand that he has to commit to be successful. But he has more weight to lose than I do.

i am really just nervous about making it through the first week or so - sounds like the first 10 days can be rough.

I'm nervous about the first week too!  Expect the headache and lack of energy as I've tried to kick the sugar addiction more times than I like to admit.  Don't know how the wheat/dairy will affect me.  Not much of a drinker so don't have to worry about that.  I have shopped so think I'm pretty much ready.  Prep over the weekend!  We can do this!!!!

I'm starting monday as well :) 

I'm not nervous, per se.... I've done tons of elimination diets in the past, so that isn't an issue for me.   All of my issues stem around proper planning and traveling.   If I could find the time to adequately plan in advance for the weeks that have heavy travel, I'd be way ahead of the game.  

14 hours ago, ChristinaL said:

My husband says he is going to "try" to do this with me. I can't get him to understand that he has to commit to be successful. But he has more weight to lose than I do.

i am really just nervous about making it through the first week or so - sounds like the first 10 days can be rough.

in my experience, any elimination diet will have a detox period.   The worst for me was went I went raw vegan.   I felt like I had been hit by a mack truck for 2 weeks.  After that I felt AMAZING!!   So, stick with it.   You'll likely feel like crap (especially if you are coming off of sugar and gluten) but it will pass and you WILL feel better... I promise!   I've been GF for years and whenever I slip and eat gluten, I can barely walk the next day.   It's crazy.

I am starting today, and could really use the support.  I did a whole 30 last year that  turned into a whole 60! I've never felt better in my life. Somehow over the last year, but especially since December I've gotten way off track. I've tried to start a few times and seem to be making a lot of excuses for myself. Checking in with a group will hopefully address that.  I am looking forward to feeling good again!  

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Avd said:

I am starting today, and could really use the support.  I did a whole 30 last year that  turned into a whole 60! I've never felt better in my life. Somehow over the last year, but especially since December I've gotten way off track. I've tried to start a few times and seem to be making a lot of excuses for myself. Checking in with a group will hopefully address that.  I am looking forward to feeling good again!  

Hey there - As per forum rules, please do not copy/paste and cross post the same post to multiple topics.  I've left this post here and removed the other three duplicates.

I'm starting Monday.  Shopping pretty much done.  I'm going to attempt the mayonnaise this afternoon and will start prepping a few things.  My first time at whole 30 so am a little anxious and know I will need some support as I go along.

I'm also starting tomorrow! I have had several false starts over the last 2 years (two years!) and many whole3s or whole5s but that's it. I also have an 8-month-old baby who nurses a lot, and I do crossfit 3-4 times a week. My BIGGEST hurdle BY FAR is meal planning and preparation. I cook for myself and the 3 kids ages 5, 2, and 8 months (fortunately my kids eat anything and everything so I will not have to modify for them or make them separate meals).

I will be checking in a lot!

What's everyone's first meal going to be? I plan on scrambled eggs, sweet potatoes, and spinach/kale, all cooked in ghee. Extra ghee added at the end, too, for more fat.

Just because you are a good planner doesn't mean you can stick with it.  I'm already running into obstacles.  Was planning on the tomato spinach frittata with avocado and fruit for breakfast but I am taking a friend to the doctor's at 8:15 tomorrow morning.  A little early for that so will probably have a boiled egg and fruit for breakfast.  Thankfully, I am well stocked in the grocery department so lots of options for lunch and dinner.  My first attempt at homemade mayonnaise was a failure.  It separated as I'm sure I got in hurry adding the olive oil.  I googled separated mayonnaise and am going to try their fix with water.  Wish me luck.  

• Moderators

Advice to those choosing to eat one or two eggs and only fruit for breakfast.  This is not recommended and will do you more harm than good, regardless of how quick it is.

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... that's 3-4 to start for most people.  Fruit is not meant to push veggies off your plate and you need to add fat to all three meals...

@pilatesfan and @ChristinaL - make sure you're familiar with the template and make all three meals a day match, starting with your first one within an hour of waking.

Thanks for the advice.  Any comments are helpful being this is my first time and there are a LOT of things to learn.  So I'm assuming that I can add avocado to breakfast along with 3 or 4 eggs?  

I rescued the mayonnaise!  

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, pilatesfan said:

Thanks for the advice.  Any comments are helpful being this is my first time and there are a LOT of things to learn.  So I'm assuming that I can add avocado to breakfast along with 3 or 4 eggs?  

I rescued the mayonnaise!  

Yep!  Add avocado, the eggs and then find some veggies and stick them in there too!

I hope you don't mind if I join too!  I'm a single mom who started today... trying to get my kids to come along for the ride!

Super excited (my kids are fighting (and won) the battle with milk and cheese for lunches) but aside from that, I completely cleaned out ALL the non-compliant food from my cupboards, fridge and freezer!

I was up this morning to make mayonnaise! Something I never thought I would do!

Good luck everyone!

Hi.  I would love to join your group.  I have tried several times to start the Whole 30 in the past 3 weeks but something has come up - birthdays, mother's day, family trip for ice cream.... I am serious this time and would love the support. 

Good Morning Everyone!  What a great group for support here!  This helps me a lot!

I usually don't eat breakfast until I get to work, so I just brought the hard boiled eggs and grapes into my office.  The hardest thing is coffee with no creamer.  It's just so bitter!  I brought all kinds of stuff for lunch - Thank Goodness I started to appreciate avocados!

I found a kind of "Beef Jerky" at the store name brande "Epic"  They have dried/flavored Chicken and Pork.  They are Whole30 approved.  I haven't opened the package yet, but a friend says they are good. I did a bit of prep yesterday, but not nearly as much as I had hoped.  I want to try the Mayo (thanks for the tips Pilatesfan!)

My high school daughter is also doing a slightly less restrictive version of Whole30 to try to conquer her sugar addiction too.  This is a big help. 

Here we go!!!

I'm starting today but need some advice. I don't remember reading anything about when you're sick. Sorry for the tmi! But I was up all night and this morning with an upset stomach and diarrhea.  Do I still start off with my first meal as soon as my stomach is settled? Any thoughts anyone, or MODS? 

Maybe I should switch this to the trouble shooting forum?

• Administrators
Just now, CaLorraine said:

I'm starting today but need some advice. I don't remember reading anything about when you're sick. Sorry for the tmi! But I was up all night and this morning with an upset stomach and diarrhea.  Do I still start off with my first meal as soon as my stomach is settled? Any thoughts anyone, or MODS? 

Maybe I should switch this to the trouble shooting forum?

We don't really have any specific guidelines on being sick, mostly because there is no medical counselling done here. I realize an upset stomach and diarrhea isn't a "medical issue" perse, but just so you know why there are no specific guidelines. :) 

That said, listen to your body. If your stomach is feeling stable, try eating a bit of something easy like scrambled eggs and mashed sweet potato. Some bone broth if you have it would be nice.  Probably take it easy on that first meal, size-wise, and then eat again when you feel hungry if that all stayed stable. Once you're past it, you can go back to forming your meals to the template for size and timing.

Does that help?

Hi there!

I am starting today so I'm on board!  I have tried the Whole30 in the past, but without support, and only made it to day 17.  So I am going to use this online support system to help me stay accountable this time around (3rd time's a charm, 4th time...)  I will say the other reason I didn't make it until the end was the FOOD PREP!!  I did great the first couple weeks and then kind of left it to chance.  Not a smart move.

I have severe insomnia which is why I am planning on following this through.  I wake up a bit after midnight and am restless until about 5am when I can fall back asleep.  Unfortunately I'm a teacher so I have to get up at that time!  Whole30 eating does wonders for my sleep.  I think it's  a combination of no sugar and no alcohol - my body isn't awake trying to metabolize the junk.  Also the lack of sleep gives me anxiety.  With Whole30/clean eating all of that disappears.

On another note, I am an almost 40 :D mother of 4.  

Look forward to speaking with you all!

Nikki

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

We don't really have any specific guidelines on being sick, mostly because there is no medical counselling done here. I realize an upset stomach and diarrhea isn't a "medical issue" perse, but just so you know why there are no specific guidelines. :) 

That said, listen to your body. If your stomach is feeling stable, try eating a bit of something easy like scrambled eggs and mashed sweet potato. Some bone broth if you have it would be nice.  Probably take it easy on that first meal, size-wise, and then eat again when you feel hungry if that all stayed stable. Once you're past it, you can go back to forming your meals to the template for size and timing.

Does that help?

Yes that is a lot of help! I made my frittata because I was feeling hungry but once it was done and time to eat my stomach started feeling iffy. I've been taking small bites and I think I'll save the rest for later when I'm feeling more improved. 

That makes sense with the medical advice. I totally get it. I appreciate your input! :)

Archived