Starting 5/14

ChristinaL

As a note ladies who don't want to eat until theyget to work, eggs + microwave = scrambled eggs.   Scramble them, put them in for 30 seconds, scramble again and do 30-60 more.  I mix in apple chicken sausage and avocado, eat some fruit and veggies (tomatoes work well) and bam.  Keeps me full! 

Tessamae salad dressings (always double check) are compliant and I just take it with me when I go places.   The creamy ranch is WONDERFUL.   

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breakfast and lunch down the hatch!   I had scrambled eggs in some organic coconut oil and blueberries.  Lunch was protein salad with chicken, boiled eggs, celery, homemade mayonnaise and a mandarin orange served on a bed of lettuce.  I am cooking green beans for dinner and will probably have salmon and a sweet potato.  Husband is eating lasagna.  He'll eat some of what I'm eating but doesn't care for fish unless it is fried.

I was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis and am probably the oldest on board (69).  I've tried PT on my shoulder and knees and haven't seen much improvement.  Am hoping this will have a positive effect.  So glad to have all of you for support as have stated before I am severely addicted to sugar and carbs.

I think the hardest part will be preparation.  I don't know how those of you who work and have children do it.  Weekend prep is probably the key!  Stay strong!

Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind if I join your group.  I started my first whole 30 yesterday after reading ISWF and taking a couple of weeks to get organized and ready to tackle this challenge.  Historically, I have ate fairly "clean", but over the past year or so it has just been a downward slope leading to sugary breakfasts, followed by mediocre lunches, only to end the day with crackers upon crackers and cheese for suppers, followed by an endless mound of cookies.  I believe this has led to an overall sluggishness that I can't seem to shake and a lack of desire to cook or eat well.

I am hoping that the program will help me get back on track to feeling better with higher energy levels, and also get back in the habit of eating real meals, 

I originally hadn't planned on joining the forums, but as I have been reading everyone's comments I can see that it will be a great tool!  It will be very helpful to share and read our successes and challenges, realizing we're not doing this on our own and that we can get through this!  

Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone!

Day one 2/3 done...

I do crossfit and also nurse my 8-month-old (a LOT, day and many times through the night) and I also am a habitual grazer/snacker, so adhering to the meal template and spacing is a big challenge. Trying to do mini-meals as "snacks" but I'm also maybe too dependent on my coconut chocolate rx bars...

On 5/10/2017 at 9:27 AM, KelliW said:

I will start on Monday also.  I have tried and tried WW, but just can't seem to stick to it.  

Let's pair up and hold each other accountable!

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, KTH1010 said:

Hi everyone!

Day one 2/3 done...

I do crossfit and also nurse my 8-month-old (a LOT, day and many times through the night) and I also am a habitual grazer/snacker, so adhering to the meal template and spacing is a big challenge. Trying to do mini-meals as "snacks" but I'm also maybe too dependent on my coconut chocolate rx bars...

We recommend to breastfeeding women that they eat at least 4 meals a day and often to keep fat supplies up, recommend sipping on canned coconut milk during the day. You're right to make mini meals between meals, but do ditch those rx bars, they're for emergencies only and being hungry between meals every day is not an emergency... there's a lot of info on the pregnant and breastfeeding board about meal composition, milk supply etc... have a read through there :)

4 hours ago, ErikaA said:

Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind if I join your group.  I started my first whole 30 yesterday after reading ISWF and taking a couple of weeks to get organized and ready to tackle this challenge.  Historically, I have ate fairly "clean", but over the past year or so it has just been a downward slope leading to sugary breakfasts, followed by mediocre lunches, only to end the day with crackers upon crackers and cheese for suppers, followed by an endless mound of cookies.  I believe this has led to an overall sluggishness that I can't seem to shake and a lack of desire to cook or eat well.

I am hoping that the program will help me get back on track to feeling better with higher energy levels, and also get back in the habit of eating real meals, 

I originally hadn't planned on joining the forums, but as I have been reading everyone's comments I can see that it will be a great tool!  It will be very helpful to share and read our successes and challenges, realizing we're not doing this on our own and that we can get through this!  

Good luck everyone!

Welcome!

Kitchen is officially closed for the day.  I guess that means no bedtime snack??  (kidding)  Slight headache this afternoon but after I walked 2.5 miles and ate dinner it eased up.   I know the major headache is coming with the sugar withdrawal.  I've got my difuser going with a headache blend.  Can't hurt.  Plan on soaking in tub with epson salts and probably early to bed.  I tend to be a grazer and 10:00 seems to be my time so will try to nip that habit early on.  Haven't quite got my menu together for tomorrow but have leftover protein salad, green beans and boiled eggs in the refrigerator.  I'm thinking I'll make the spinach frittata and the curried chicken breast looks good.  Depends on how my time goes.  I have pilates at noon and have promised to check on a friend that had minor surgery today.  Hope everyone had a good day as we continue our journey.

I just started today also.  Following a clean eating program myself, my husband doesn't share the need for it or any possibility of giving up his multitude of carbs in every imaginable form, so I cannot "cleanse" my kitchen of anything not on the program.   Actually, I have to fix it for him, and he really is on the skinny side.   So with this constant temptation, bread and rolls and coffee cakes falling out of the cupboards, watching him eat ice cream after dinner, beer with dinner, and twice as much on his plate of everything at every meal, whipped cream in his coffee, etc., I will just have to steel myself and do my own shopping, and individual preparing.  My goal is to bring my sugar count down.   I get my blood tested every 8 weeks for reason of cancer, and they tell me each and every time I am close to prediabetic.  Now the Drs. at the Cancer Treatment Center of America do not stress my weight, or losing weight, and have been very happy with me being at 208 (5'5") and a size 18 and staying steady at that weight.   But I, myself, would be happier being under 200 and closer to my proper BMI.  I limp with a weak leg and think weight loss would help that.  

So far, so good, but really hungry for dinner, and wondering WHAT?  Canned tuna and spinach?  I had a banana and a butternut squash for lunch, a protein powder coffee drink with coconut oil for breakfast.  I need to eat more meat, and basically am a meat-free person.  I dislike eggs, having dieted with eggs ALL MY LIFE to the point I almost cannot swallow them.  Chemo has made me lose some of my teeth, so chewing meat is difficult.  So I have some difficulties, to be sure, but I think I can do this. 

=============================================

Sandra,
Good for you! I applaud your effort. I too have a spouse who isn't into this. He's not so much into sweets, but will have beer and pizza and any cheesy gooey thing he can find in a pinch. I started prepping my meals for the week ahead of time. It was a lot easier once you portion them out into little Tupperware containers. Then when it's time to eat just heat it up. No need to make a decision because it has already been made for you. I have been doing some sort of egg thing for breakfast for the last two weeks and wanted something different. This week I made a pumpkin banana custard with roasted pecans. I found the recipe on pinterest - actually, I've found a lot of recipes on pinterest. It's still a struggle two weeks in, but it feels good to know that I haven't cheated and am committed to finish what I've started. Just take it one day at a time. We're all rooting for you!

This evening I roasted veggies - sweet potatoes, mushrooms red onion and zucchini (next time I'll leave out the zucchini because it was mushy), roasted potatoes and made a pork tenderloin.  I also made a huge salad so the kids could eat it instead of the veggies (I know better).  They ate a lot!  And - I have lots of leftovers! I certainly can't make a meal like this more than twice a week with our schedule, so leftovers will work wonders!

Now is the hardest time for me.  I am used to eating something sweet between now and bedtime.  Anyone have ideas?

49 minutes ago, KelliW said:

This evening I roasted veggies - sweet potatoes, mushrooms red onion and zucchini (next time I'll leave out the zucchini because it was mushy), roasted potatoes and made a pork tenderloin.  I also made a huge salad so the kids could eat it instead of the veggies (I know better).  They ate a lot!  And - I have lots of leftovers! I certainly can't make a meal like this more than twice a week with our schedule, so leftovers will work wonders!

Now is the hardest time for me.  I am used to eating something sweet between now and bedtime.  Anyone have ideas?

Drink water lol.   The eating before bedtime is one of those habits you are trying to break.  When you are eating enough on whole 30 you should only need to eat three times a day. I had dinner at 4:30 yesterday because of Mother's Day and I wasn't hungry again.

Its critical to make sure you add your healthy fat to every meal to be satiated.  So put some ghee on that food.  Add avocado or olives.  Use oil / vinegar for dressing.  

Your meal sounds great! Drink some water and rough past those cravings! 

Good morning!! Starting the day off right with a delish egg scrambled with cherry tomatoes, spinach, mushroom and rib eye, nom! Leftover spaghetti squash and meat marinara sauce for lunch with some watermelon sliced up and a boiled egg for the afternoon munchies.  The leftovers were so good that I think they're going to be dinner as well:) What do the rest of you have planned?  Have a great day all, we can DO this!

12 minutes ago, Allison Stofer said:

Good morning!! Starting the day off right with a delish egg scrambled with cherry tomatoes, spinach, mushroom and rib eye, nom! Leftover spaghetti squash and meat marinara sauce for lunch with some watermelon sliced up and a boiled egg for the afternoon munchies.  The leftovers were so good that I think they're going to be dinner as well:) What do the rest of you have planned?  Have a great day all, we can DO this!

I made an egg bake on Sunday filled with sweet potatoes, peppers, asparagus and sausage - I will be eating this for breakfast all week, alongside a small serving of fruit.  For lunch and dinner I will be having leftovers from the chili I made last night, topped with the Dreamy Avocado Dressing from ISWF.  

9 hours ago, KelliW said:

@Lea Mint

Thank you!  Still struggling.  Think I'll get some hot decaf tea and hit the hay. 

I definitely think that going to bed a bit earlier than normal definitely makes it easier to fight off the cravings!  I also find that when a sweet craving hits, it helps if I find something to keep me busy - whether it's walking our dogs or cleaning or starting laundry.  

1 hour ago, Allison Stofer said:

My left over lunch is the same as yours :) go us! Sounds yummy!

meal 1 for me was leftover spinach frittata with some strawberries and avocado. 

Meal 2 is leftover spaghetti squash and meat marinara 

meal 3 is seared chicken breasts with roasted potatoes and cabbage slaw. 

Im feeling pretty good so far. My appetite is weird though, I get hungry, make my meal and then I'm not so hungry anymore. So I'm not eating in the amounts I usually would. Not sure if that's normal or not. But I'm not forcing myself to eat more than I feel like I can like I used to. 

1 hour ago, ErikaA said:

I definitely think that going to bed a bit earlier than normal definitely makes it easier to fight off the cravings!  I also find that when a sweet craving hits, it helps if I find something to keep me busy - whether it's walking our dogs or cleaning or starting laundry.  

I went to bed earlier last night too so I could avoid the munchy cravings I get in the evening. This whole30 will really be helping me all around because I'm getting more sleep too lol

Archived