Starting 5/14

ChristinaL

Does anyone get hungry around this time of day?  

I just had a handful of cashews and a cup of tea as a snack.

I got up at 4:30 am and could not make myself eat that early in the morning.  It was a rough night for sleep last night for several reasons (all family related) and I am sluggish today.  I ate around 7 am and had: 1 egg, a small turkey burger with herbs, and some fruit (no veggies I realize).   I ate lunch of pork tenderloin, broccoli, sweet potato and kale at 11.  I am thinking maybe there was not enough protein as it was mostly a huge plate of veggies.  Dinner is planned for 5:30 pm and is going to be rosemary chicken with asparagus and leftover kale and broccoli.   

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, Vguck said:

I got up at 4:30 am and could not make myself eat that early in the morning.  It was a rough night for sleep last night for several reasons (all family related) and I am sluggish today.  I ate around 7 am and had: 1 egg, a small turkey burger with herbs, and some fruit (no veggies I realize).   I ate lunch of pork tenderloin, broccoli, sweet potato and kale at 11.  I am thinking maybe there was not enough protein as it was mostly a huge plate of veggies.  Dinner is planned for 5:30 pm and is going to be rosemary chicken with asparagus and leftover kale and broccoli.   

Are you adding fat to your meals, more than what you're cooking in? Fat is important, it will help keep you full longer. Take a look at the meal template, and add one or two of the fat options in addition to what you've cooked your meal in and see if that helps. 

Do try to eat within an hour of waking up in the morning -- if you can't stomach a whole meal, try to eat what you can and then finish the meal as soon afterwards as you can. This article explains a little bit about why we stress eating breakfast as soon as you can in the morning. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Vguck said:

so what time of day is it for you?  Where I am it's 11:39am.  

You didn't eat fat with either of your meals this am and then breakfast as you know had no veggies... if you were also short on protein like you said, then that would be why you're hungry... 

Make sure you're making all three meals a day to match the template and if you do need to eat between meals until you get the meal sizes down, eat protein and fat, not fruit and nuts on their own.

@ShannonM816 Thanks.  For some reason I had it in my head that the fat and protein were the same.  That guide will be a huge help.  I read the book but there was just so much.  Love the links!

@SugarcubeOD I am on the East Coast.  It is almost 3:00 here.  I got really hungry around 2 but help off until 2:30.  I will definitely use the template as my guide.  

Thanks so much!!

58 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

so what time of day is it for you?  Where I am it's 11:39am.  

You didn't eat fat with either of your meals this am and then breakfast as you know had no veggies... if you were also short on protein like you said, then that would be why you're hungry... 

Make sure you're making all three meals a day to match the template and if you do need to eat between meals until you get the meal sizes down, eat protein and fat, not fruit and nuts on their own.

OK, I'm feeling like a real dummy here!  I just want to add a new post but I can't seem to find where to do that.  I can only reply to other messages...help...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Allison Stofer said:

OK, I'm feeling like a real dummy here!  I just want to add a new post but I can't seem to find where to do that.  I can only reply to other messages...help...

Go to the main home page of the forum, find the section you want to post in and click on it, and then you should see a button at the top right that says "Start a new topic."  Click that and it should take you to a page where you can fill out the subject and put in your post.

Thanks goodness for this forum.  I really am not losing my mind!  I've woke up the last two nights HOT and sweaty.  This morning I had leftover spinach frittata and cantelope.  No added fat which now explains why I was hungry at 10:30.  Ate a hard boiled egg with a little of my homemade ranch dressing.  I knew I had a busy day with a 2 hour appointment at 12:00.  So I had my lara bar and a few walnuts/almonds....no fat.  I had a packet of almond butter but was not sure about the palm oil so passed on eating it.  Home at 3:00.  Large salad with chicken and ranch dressing.  Dinner was leftover grilled coconut curry chicken, green beans, cauliflower with some added beets.  I've felt relatively good today.  Not as tired as yesterday.  Walked 2 miles.  All in all a good day.  

@pilatesfan  Thank you for saying something about being hot.  It's such a weird feeling! 

It's been a rough day.  Tired and my stomach is still iffy.  I have kept at it, though.

For dinner I made spaghetti for the family.  I was going to make a spaghetti squash, but was just too tired.  So, I improvised. I found a Whole30 compliant jarred spaghetti sauce, added lots of ground beef, portabella mushrooms and put it over a small baked potato that I cooked in the microwave and some left over pork loin.  I was still looking at the pasta longingly, but didn't even take a taste, instead ate more broccoli.

Day three - almost over, thank goodness!

Good evening everyone,

I have been waking up super hungry (I have always been a big breakfast person). Today I had my leftover egg bake for brekakfast (includes veggies), half of an avocado, and a few strawberries and blueberries. For lunch I had leftover chilli with half of an avocado. And for dinner I had steak with half of a potato and half a plate of veggies  

I was hungry before eating all my meals, but I'm worried I may be eating a bit too much. I am going to really try to listen to my body when eating to try to make sure I'm getting just enough.

37 minutes ago, KelliW said:

@pilatesfan  Thank you for saying something about being hot.  It's such a weird feeling! 

It's been a rough day.  Tired and my stomach is still iffy.  I have kept at it, though.

For dinner I made spaghetti for the family.  I was going to make a spaghetti squash, but was just too tired.  So, I improvised. I found a Whole30 compliant jarred spaghetti sauce, added lots of ground beef, portabella mushrooms and put it over a small baked potato that I cooked in the microwave and some left over pork loin.  I was still looking at the pasta longingly, but didn't even take a taste, instead ate more broccoli.

Day three - almost over, thank goodness!

Your dinner sounds delicious! I'm definitely going to keep it in mind when I'm thinking up dinner ideas!!

2 minutes ago, ErikaA said:

Good evening everyone,

I have been waking up super hungry (I have always been a big breakfast person). Today I had my leftover egg bake for brekakfast (includes veggies), half of an avocado, and a few strawberries and blueberries. For lunch I had leftover chilli with half of an avocado. And for dinner I had steak with half of a potato and half a plate of veggies  

I was hungry before eating all my meals, but I'm worried I may be eating a bit too much. I am going to really try to listen to my body when eating to try to make sure I'm getting just enough.

Follow the meal template and don't worry about eating too much! It's more likely you are undereating, and if you are you won't get the best results. When eggs are your only protein eat as many as you can hold in your hand--3 or 4. For other proteins it's 1-2 palm size pieces. Depending on what size bowl you had you probably didn't have enough protein at lunch. And you don't mention any fat at dinner. Mix up your fats--include mayo, ghee, olive oil, olives, etc--and don't just eat avocado. Have  1-2 fats at every meal. And FILLyour plate with veggies.

You can find the template here.

4 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

Follow the meal template and don't worry about eating too much! It's more likely you are undereating, and if you are you won't get the best results. When eggs are your only protein eat as many as you can hold in your hand--3 or 4. For other proteins it's 1-2 palm size pieces. Depending on what size bowl you had you probably didn't have enough protein at lunch. And you don't mention any fat at dinner. Mix up your fats--include mayo, ghee, olive oil, olives, etc--and don't just eat avocado. Have  1-2 fats at every meal. And FILLyour plate with veggies.

You can find the template here.

Thanks for the tips!! The egg bake has 2-3 eggs per serving plus some sausage. But you're right, I was missing the extra fat for dinner. Thanks again

My dinner was the most satisfying thing I have had yet!! I used to think I made flavorful meat, not anymore! I made the brisket with butternut squash and a garden salad with home made Italian dressing. Holy smokes friends, my new favorite meal. 

First of all, I have never tried butternut squash before, that is a delicious veg. So filling and tasty! Second, I seared the meat and then threw it in the crockpot with the onions and garlic. So dang flavorful!! I had cucumbers, carrots and olives in my mixed greens for the salad, a big bowl full with my dressing. And I had a serving of raspberries after. 

Im not hungry or craving after that meal. So good. And I have leftovers for tomorrow! 

I hope you all had a successful day! We finished day 3! Hooray! 

2 hours ago, ErikaA said:

Thanks for the tips!! The egg bake has 2-3 eggs per serving plus some sausage. But you're right, I was missing the extra fat for dinner. Thanks again

I was going to reply the same. Remember.  Don't worry about eating too much. You are eating Whole Foods. You are eating things that are dense in nutrients with less calories than the carb-packed processed foods before.  

It might FEEL like a lot of food.  But a Pile of veggies isn't many calories.  An 8oz chicken breast isn't many calories. 4 eggs is only 320 calories and the rest of your meal is veggies with maybe 150 cals of healthy fat. 

So don't focus on 'too much'. Simply eat what is allowed according to the template, eat until you are full. Eat enough to go 4-5 hours. 

And enjoy it! 

How is everyone doing on this fine Thursday?!  I'm feeling a little slow out of the gate, had a great sleep but woke up a bit head-achey and then had some technical difficulties in the tummy department so stayed in at lunch today instead of going to the gym; things have since settled down, whew!   I'm super hungry today.  Started off with scrambled eggs, cherry tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms and steak fry up with a cup of green tea.  Had a kiwi and a banana and an orange throughout my work day (will pack veggies tomorrow) and leftover chicken, steamed veg and sweet potato mashed with coconut milk and curry powder for lunch.  Drinking loads of water.  Made yet another run to the grocery store to make sure I have everything I need for dinner , etc.  - I have never grocery shopped this much!  No cravings for anything but feeling obsessed with food (the good kind) looking up recipes, compliant foods, etc.   Amazing how many commercials on TV are for things to eat and drink!  Looking forward to see what challenges await this weekend!

Today has been kind of up and down.  I got up slow moving, ate breakfast and got a lot done until around 11:00 a.m. then had another slump.  Haven't had the major headache yet that I have been expecting.  Allison, I know what you mean about grocery shopping.  I think I have everything but then realize I'm missing one ingredient.  I added a fried egg in ghee to the spinach frittata this morning.  It did the trick as I did not have that 10:30 hunger attack.  I had a big salad with grilled chicken with the whole 30 ranch dressing for lunch.  I made the chicken meatballs recipe but used ground pork instead of the chicken thighs for dinner.  Very flavorable.  I find the seasoning right on with all the recipes I've tried.  Added spaghetti squash with ghee, green beans and cantelope to the meal.  All in all I'm pretty satisfied.  I went through the recipes again today and made a list of 10 that I want to try.  I'll have to admit it's a lot of cooking but good food.  Not only are there food commercials on tv but I can't even get on facebook without seeing more food and recipes.  I'm just scrolling thorough.  Did pilates this evening and I left hot and sweaty....unusual for me.  Hormones adjusting I guess.  

Happy Thursday!

Allison - I completely understand your "obsession with food" I've been feeling the same way - constantly on the look out for W30 recipes and food!!

Its day 5 for me and I'm feeling pretty good so far. But am nervous for the weekend, I think it will be a challenge for me since I don't have my typical "schedule" to stick to. I am sure we will all get through it though!!

Hi all! Today had its challenges, but I did well. There were donuts from the local bakery in the copier room which I passed at least 20 times. Didn't even peak although they smelled incredible! 

I had  a huge salad with leftover pork loin, greens, kale and my oil and vinegar. 

I'm just getting home from my sons baseball game, so I'm glad I ate almonds at 5:30. They tied me over. Now another salad. 

The bad news is that the vinegar I've been using is from one of those speciality stores. It is cranberry flavoured and it dawned on me that it is probably sweetened. Not sure what to do- I've used it 3 times now. Ugh!

1 hour ago, KelliW said:

Hi all! Today had its challenges, but I did well. There were donuts from the local bakery in the copier room which I passed at least 20 times. Didn't even peak although they smelled incredible! 

I had had a huge salad with leftover poem loin, greens, kale and my oil and vinegar. 

Im just getting home from my sons baseball game, so I'm glad I ate almonds at 5:30. They tied me over. Now another salad. 

The bad news is that the vinager I've been using is from one of those specialty stores. It is cranberry flavored and it dawned on me that it is probably sweetened. Not sure what to do- I've used it 3 times now. Ugh!

Is there anyway to check the ingredients? Maybe it's possible it contains "natural cranberry flavour", and then you won't have anything to worry about. 

Nice work on on avoiding those donuts!!

Hey friends. I worked my 12 hour shift today, which was a real test with my dedication for this. It was a difficult day. I've been so stressed and anxious on waiting to hear back if I've been accepted into the nursing program here and I've not been handling it well. Only because my usual coping mechanism is emotional eating and I wasn't doing that. Yesterday I was off of work so I cleaned my house, today I just had to figure out how to distract myself while at work. A coworkers dad brought in cookies, a pie and cinnamon roll, uh yeah, those looked yummy, the hard thing to turn down was the chips and salsa though. My favorite. 

Anyway, this program is going to help in so many ways because I'm going to have to figure out new ways to handle and cope with stress. 

I was good on the food front though! And my meals held up to my work day and I got hungry around the acceptable times. Oh and my coworkers drueled over my lunch (the brisket, sweet potatoes and salad)! A lot of them had lots of questions and were very interested. It was nice to share my knowledge and realize how much has stuck with me from reading the book.

well carry on my friends, we completed day 4!!

Great job @CaLorraine !

@ErikaA  I will look up the shop for the vinegar and call today. 

Does anyone one know if I have to start over if it has sugar in it?  I've joined a couple FB support groups and they seem to think if you go off plan st any time, you need to start over. 

Thoughts?

@KelliW According to the book, if you go off plan you are supposed to start over.  That being said, I am wondering if you really "went off plan".  According to the rules "Nearly all forms of vinegar, including white, red wine, balsamic, apple cider, and rice, are allowed during your Whole30 program. (The only exception is malt vinegar, which generally contains gluten.)".   

Good morning,

I hope everyone is having a good start to their Friday. 

I woke up with lots of energy this morning - I typically have always struggled to wake up in the mornings, constantly hitting the snooze button, but today, I managed to wake up right as my alarm started going off, which is a big win for me!  For breakfast this morning, I had my typical egg bake, with a piece of canteloupe and, per the tips by @ArtFossil, to switch up my fat intake, I tried adding a tablespoon of coconut oil to my coffee along with a bit of coconut milk and it was DELICIOUS!  I have always drank my coffee black, but this may be a game changer for me!

I hope everyone else is feeling good.  Wishing you all a great day!

Archived