Starting 5/14

ChristinaL

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, cristinamt said:

And I don't believe green beans are compliant because it's more legume than pod, right?

Nope... more pod than bean ;)  Green beans, snap peas, snow peas, sugar peas are all exempt from the no legumes rule because they're more pod/fibre than actual bean/pea.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whew! Got through yesterday but it was tough.  Need to rethink my template as I was really hungry last night and nothing seemed to calm it down.  I think not enough fat and too much fruit.  May have been short on the protein too ....shrimp with steamed spinach topped with a boiled egg.  I started to make a tossed salad but didn't.  That would have probably helped.  Just when you think you got it figured out you need to regroup.

Today will be better.  Chicken and steak prepped for salads and leftover cooked vegetables.  Breakfast continues to be a challenge.  Tired of eggs so it may be more meat and vegetables.

I switched this morning for breakfast I fried an egg served it over a bed of sauteed spinach and had sausage.  It was a change from scrambled or an omelet.  For lunch I made the sweet potato soup.  It went together quickly and was delicious.  In addition I had a salad with leftover steak with the homemade ranch dressing.  I threw in some chopped olives for a little added fat.  I don't want a repeat of yesterday as it seems like I was hungry every two hours.  Not enough fat and too much fruit.  Tonight I'll have grilled chicken, squash, rutabagas  that are leftovers from the weekend.  Hope everyone's day is especially good.

Happy Monday!

Today has been a bit of a rough start.  I didn't eat enough for breakfast, but I managed to hold off and will now go make some chicken salad with added avocado.  I had planned to use yesterday as a prep day, but my husband got called into work, so that threw everything off.  Will have to do some of that tonight.  Luckily I still have some leftovers.

I'm with you about the eggs.  I couldn't eat both hard boiled eggs this morning - had to throw the last 1/2 of one away.  I'm planning to make a potato egg bake soon that will last me a while.  

Has anyone compared the homemade mayo vs. the Primal one.  I have two of the Primal flavors, and there is something in there that I just don't like much. Just wondering if I go through the effort to make it , if it will just taste the same.

I am planning to make the egg roll bowl tonight or tomorrow.  That just sounds delicious and I know my hubby will love it!

Stick with it everyone!  8 days left!  We can do it!  (well, I  have added 10 days to mine since I screwed up, but that's OK)

I desperately want to snack right now so I am going for a walk instead.  Changing those habits.  Miss my carbs but don't want to break down for a pretzel. 

This morning I made a super yummy ground turkey cabbage hash with onions, garlic, ginger and herbs.

Yesterday I tried my hand at the butternut squash soup but luckily when I was about to add the chicken stock from a cube I looked at the ingredients and sure enough it was loaded with sugar.  I was just about finished slow cooking cuban pork so I used some of the fat/liquid from that - it was okay so I loaded it down with ginger and let it really cook until it ended up being more of a mash than a soup - ended up pretty good.  I also made some cauliflower mash so lots of soft this week - which might be part of why I am craving crunchy right now lol!

I'm actually super nervous for day 31.  

I've only had the homemade mayonnaise so can't compare.  I think the ghee had a funny smell/taste so when I finished what I had bought I did my own clarified butter.

i've not followed any other forums but know I'll need to follow something/someone to keep myself accountable.  I so don't want to go back to my major sugar addiction but can't see myself doing totally without.  My plan is to end the mindless sugar grabs but make it be something occasionally worthwhile.

I also don't belong to any other forums.  I'm all for continuing this one, but there may also be more support in others.  I do belong to two facebook groups and they are super helpful!  It really helps keep my eye on the prize.  There are lots of before/after pics, menu ideas and other tips.  Might be something for you guys to think about.  It has really been a benefit to me - I may not have made it this far without seeing all those comments and pics.

I'll have to try making my own clarified butter.  The ghee I have isn't all the appetizing to me.

I stopped at Fresh Thyme market on my lunch hour to grab a few things and picked up the Tessame BBQ sauce, ketchup and two of the salad dressings - Balsamic Vinegar and Caesar.  They were buy one get one free, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased all of them.  The Caesar is good!

Back to work!

• Moderators

Once the 30 days is over, you're welcome to stay together as a group, we just ask that you move to the reintro section of the forum for 'life after whole30' so it's not confusing to people coming along... the main boards are for 100% compliance.

My head is pounding this morning.  I think it might be because I had almost no water yesterday (which might have something to do with my tremendous almost overpowering cravings).  Are we allowed to take motrin or ibuprofen? 

1 hour ago, Vguck said:

My head is pounding this morning.  I think it might be because I had almost no water yesterday (which might have something to do with my tremendous almost overpowering cravings).  Are we allowed to take motrin or ibuprofen? 

I'm pretty sure yes. I've taken some. So hopefully yes, otherwise I'm not sure what day I'm on lol 

sorry you have a headache!! :(

Ibuprofen should be fine.  I have needed it for my knee and other things.  Necessity - esp for headaches!

I didn't eat enough fat for dinner, so I ended up snacking later - compliantly though.   

I ate a yummy breakfast of bacon, mixed zucchini strips and chicken and apple sausage.  Lunch will be chicken salad again.  Dinner is yet to be determined.  I'm hoping to get some cooking done today so I can be prepared for the rest of the week.

@SugarcubeOD - can we move this whole forum there or do we just individually go to that section?

Have a great day!

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, KelliW said:

Ibuprofen should be fine.  I have needed it for my knee and other things.  Necessity - esp for headaches!

I didn't eat enough fat for dinner, so I ended up snacking later - compliantly though.   

I ate a yummy breakfast of bacon, mixed zucchini strips and chicken and apple sausage.  Lunch will be chicken salad again.  Dinner is yet to be determined.  I'm hoping to get some cooking done today so I can be prepared for the rest of the week.

@SugarcubeOD - can we move this whole forum there or do we just individually go to that section?

Have a great day!

Usually one person makes a thread for the group and then comes here and posts the link and whomever wants to stay together and go there can... 

I think my headaches are related to how much I am drinking.  Is everyone just drinking water?  I have a cup and a half of coffee in the morning, some (not enough) water during the day and a cup of tea before bedtime. 

• Moderators
Just now, Vguck said:

I think my headaches are related to how much I am drinking.  Is everyone just drinking water?  I have a cup and a half of coffee in the morning, some (not enough) water during the day and a cup of tea before bedtime. 

The recommendation is 1/2 oz of straight water per pound of bodyweight... then add in your coffee, tea etc... sparkling water can account for some of the oz, but yes, plain, clear water is where it's at!

I hope everyone has had a good day.  I've been sticking with it and have felt really good the last two days.  I've about decided that bananas are a trigger food for me, especially when I eat with breakfast.  Seems like I'm hungry all day.  So going forward I will try to stick with the berries.  Husband grilled steak and chicken Saturday night with extras for me to have the last two days.  Certainly cut down on meal prep time.  Tomorrow I'll have a fresh start with fish probably for dinner. A friend dropped off green beans, zucchini squash and a cucumber.  I will cook the beans tomorrow.  I need a really good recipe for the zucchini.  I usually make zucchini bread but that is a definite no.  Saw the water drinking comment and although I am a good water drinker, I don't get near enough if you go with the recommendation.  I'll have to try harder.

What brand of bacon are you buying?  I haven't found anything that was compliant.  Need to keep looking I guess.

Pederson bacon.  I have found it at Fresh Thyme market.  Although I heard that Sams might have some complaint bacon also.  It's good, but definitely fatty.

I realized that I had been drinking caffinated iced tea all day, so I need to drink more water.  Might help those sugar cravings I've been getting.

Hope you all had a good day!

Lately I have been really busy so it is nice to know I can do this on autopilot as long as there is food in the fridge.  For breakfast I had a burger with mushrooms and onions, an apple and some green beans.  Lunch was cabbage hash with ground turkey, veggies and an orange.  For dinner I had tenderloin, tomatoes and sweet potato with ghee.  I have been relying on a cup of tea to help wind down at the end of the day but tonight I skipped that.  Even made my son an apple pie with apples which were going soft and didn't feel the need to eat any.   

My biggest weakness right now is on my way to work - I pass a bakery which has ginger scones.  I can't see or smell them but I know how good they are.  After I pass the location, I don’t think about it again until the next morning.  Also, I was a huge gum chewer before the Whole30 because I like having fresh minty breath. That has been a big change - now I keep a toothbrush at the office.

Well, another day in the books.  Hope everyone is doing well. (I made my water quota and feel great!)

Wish I could say I made my water quota.  I need to work at that today.  I need that extra push to get through these last days.  A lot I like about Whole 30 but really do miss my oatmeal.  It will probably be the first food I try to reintroduce and see how it affects me.  I had sausage, green beans and a pear for breakfast.  Just couldn't do the egg this morning.  I have an acorn squash I'm going to bake.  I'll probably have half with my lunch and the other half for dinner.  I'm leaning towards salmon for my protein source.  A neighbor gave me kale out of the garden.  She started Whole 30 yesterday.  She said she makes chips with the kale.  Toss with a little olive oil and sea salt and bakes in the oven until crispy.  I might give it a try and then I might just saute it.  As you can tell I'm kind of "wishy, washy" with my menu today.  After watching my husband eat a Bojangles fried chicken breast and a biscuit last night, my flounder, salad. and green beans didn't quite make the mark!  I need to go the grocery store.  

Things have been going great since we figured out I wasn't eating enough. I definitely have tigers blood and am so optimistic. I've gotten compliments on my skin and how bright and fresh I look :) NSVs for the win! 

Can you believe we are in the single digits?! We've come really far! @Vguck I feel the same way about autopilot! I threw together chicken tacos in a lettuce wrap for lunch the other day. I was so proud of myself, I even made homemade taco seasoning! Taco seasoning in the pouches has sugar :/ what's up with that?! 

This morning for meal 1 I had bacon and 2 eggs.  I was still hungry so I added a banana, a nectarine, and a Larabar. Then I remembered there is supposed to be vegetables so I included green beans.  

I feel so great, I am nervous to add sugar back in for fear my mood swings will return.  However, I cannot imagine no ketchup or any of the other myriad of things "they" add sugar to.  Ugh.  

Archived