Work and Study - Is it okay to have snacks?

Hello guys, I'm on my second day and I've been learning a lot here in the forum but there's something I'm not getting. 

I study and work. I usually have breakfast around between 7 and 9, it depends on the day, and lunch at 12:10 because I have to leave home at 12:30 to get to work and I only get back around 19:30. It seems that ˜7 hours (6-hour shift + transportation) is too much for a gap between meals. If I don't eat a small snack around 16:00, I get home starving and can't control my actions haha. Should I really try not snacking or that is normal? I get home and need to study a little bit more until 23:00 almost every day, so no early dinner :/ 

• Administrators

The general recommendation is not to snack. By "snack", we mean the hand-to-mouth all day grazing that so many people do. We certainly don't mean not to eat. :) For people that are very active or who have especially long days, they likely need more than the 3 meals. We want you to go 4-5 hours comfortably between meals. Your duration between lunch and dinner is longer than that so yes, eat something. You'll get the best mileage if you make it a protein + fat or protein + veggie (or ideally, protein, fat AND veggie). We call this a mini-meal.

Alternately, if you are very active and you need the nutrition, you are free to have four meals in a day. Just make sure to avoid the all-day gnoshing that we're all told to do by conventional wisdom. 

• Administrators

Oh, no worries! Everyone (english or not) calls it snacking. It's just that most of the time the media portrays snacking as eating constantly little bits and bites of (normally) junk. We prefer people to just recognize actual hunger and then eat actual food that serves their goals. :) 

Archived