Maltodextrin

Kathi62

I had quit taking my calcium chews when I started whole 30.  When I saw my doctor he gave me a hard time about not taking my calcium supplements.  So I picked up some calcium tablets.  It didn't even occur to me to see if they contained any offensive products.  My stomach as upset tonight several hours (7-8) after taking the calcium supplement which made me wonder if there was some non-whole 30 item in it.  To my shock it has maltodextrin.  I'm assuming this is part of the coating of the tablet.  I just finished day 23 of my whole 30 does this mean I have to start all over again??  I already started over once whenI found out on day 6 I was accidentally given coconut milk with sugar when I had asked it it was unsweetened.  I was looking forward to the re-entry phase to see the effects the foods I had ellimated on my body.  I am also really tired of eggs for breakfast.  I usually don't have any left overs that I can have for breakfast because my family eats them all while I'm at work.

Maltodextrin is a sweetener/thickener/stabilizer produced from a variety of sources (namely wheat, corn, rice or potato), so if it's bothered you having taken so little then it may be that your gut re-set has been re-set..... 

It sounds like the idea of starting over is difficult for you, and ultimately you get to decide, so if you're looking to just continue on then I'd be inclined to leave it for quite some time before reintroducing gluten & non gluten grains.

I'm assuming you've read >this article<...?

4 hours ago, Kathi62 said:

Yes, I read something similar in the book and I want the full benefit of whole 30 so I am going to have to give it some serious thought.

Did bloodwork show that your calcium levels were extremely low? Just wondering why your Dr was so concerned with the supplement, especially if you're just giving it up for the 30 days. Maybe adding some more calcium rich foods to your diet would eliminate the need for a supplement at all!

Yes, I have osteopenia & the injection I get for it every 6 M requires to to take calcium with vitamin D. I normally take chewable calcium but it contained sugar. It didn't even cross my mind that there would be additives in the tablet form

I know that Whole30 generally doesn't class non-prescription supplements as part of the "doctor's orders" exemption, but I think that if it's required in addition to a prescription injection you get that it would be allowed. Just try to find one with as few off-plan ingredients as possible. It's not likely that you'll be waking up in the middle of the night to go have more calcium tablets to get your sugar fix. If your supplement has sugar as the only non-compliant ingredient, that would be better than one that contains gluten or soy. 

Archived