No sugar dragon, but snack/meal dragon??

Day 10 of my Whole30 experience is just about over, but for these two days, I've realized that I really crave food - not junk food like I'd expect, but I'd totally go for an extra bowl of salad (usually spinach + lettuce, avocado, raisins, and balsamic vinegar) during meals. I realized that even though I wasn't hungry, I was still getting really excited and expectant for dinner so I'd go and get a huge salad like the one mentioned before with grilled chicken and roasted red potatoes and essentially stuff myself.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it the avocado or raisins? I also have sunflower seeds quite often. I feel like my previous sugar dragon just turned into a full-out meal craving!

Do you have experiences like this? How do you deal with it? I know that the Whole30 program doesn't want us to count calories, but I feel like "eating until I'm full" is definitely more calories than I probably should have...

Eat until you are satisfied. If you're going 4-5 hours until your next meal, no worries. If not, eat more!  Forget about calories and focus on nourishing your body and feeling satisfied.

But do limit your nuts to an occasional serving, as they are a food without brakes for a lot of people. When you eat a salad make sure it's more than just greens and that it's it's in a HUGE  bowl. And don't forget your 1-2 palms of protein. 

If you're following the meal template you won't be hungry and you needn't worry about quantities. 

Just now, ArtFossil said:

Eat until you are satisfied. If you're going 4-5 hours until your next meal, no worries. If not, eat more!  Forget about calories and focus on nourishing your body and feeling satisfied.

But do limit your nuts to an occasional serving, as they are a food without brakes for a lot of people. When you eat a salad make sure it's more than just greens and that it's it's in a HUGE  bowl. And don't forget your 1-2 palms of protein. 

If you're following the meal template you won't be hungry and you needn't worry about quantities. 

I am a bit confused about the fruit and nuts in relation to the meal template -- it says to throw in an "occasional" serving of fruit, and from what I've gathered around the forum, seems like the same goes for nuts and seeds. What would "occasional" be like? Is it like one a day, or more like one every couple days? 

Also, I'm just afraid that my "satisfied" is actually what other people would consider "stuffed". If I would eat more salad, does that really indicate I'm hungry, or does that mean my snacking food just shifted from unhealthy, sugar-loaded things to healthier things (that would still be unhealthy in large amounts)?

Sorry for throwing all these questions at you, thank you for responding so quickly! It's great knowing that there is an active and supportive community on this forum. :)

One serving every other day is closer to occasionally--but just make sure that you're limiting your nuts and you are not snacking on fruit or letting it crowd veggies off your plate. 

Otherwise, eat! It is very hard to overeat protein, fat and veggies! Let your body know you are nourishing it and don't worry about the amounts you eat at a meal.

Trust your body and eat until you are satisfied.  

Cool, thanks. I just feel like I'm overeating because I'd be eating around two plates of salad plus two pieces of grilled chicken (around 4 ounces each?) when my friends are having about a half plate full of things total without feeling unsatisfied. Wish I could just have a smaller stomach, but I guess that would be doing portion control and Whole30 doesn't recommend that, right?

On 5/13/2017 at 6:31 PM, swarelle said:

Cool, thanks. I just feel like I'm overeating because I'd be eating around two plates of salad plus two pieces of grilled chicken (around 4 ounces each?) when my friends are having about a half plate full of things total without feeling unsatisfied. Wish I could just have a smaller stomach, but I guess that would be doing portion control and Whole30 doesn't recommend that, right?

I'm 46, 5'5" and about 145 pounds, and I can eat this much per meal on the W30 (more than my husband, often!). It's hard to switch the mindset about this, I think. Two pieces of chicken seems gluttonous to me, but I used to not think twice about two slices of bread or a bun or 2 cups of pasta with a piece of chicken--and calorie-wise, all those things have higher energy density (calories) than the extra piece of chicken. Two plates of salad might just mean your body really wants a lot of greens right now! Which, to me, seems normal and good in the springtime. I think we've all been so brainwashed by the USDA Food Pyramid, which recommended we get the vast majority of our calories from grains, and it's hard to overcome that programming to eat enough and satisfying amounts of protein and veggies. But I feel so much better eating Whole30 style! And it really fixes my digestion, which gets so messed up from gluten.

how much do you think about the food that you are eating as you are eating it? - because usually it takes the stomach around 20 minutes to send a signal to the brain that it's full. 

I don't think you can get it wrong, but it's also about listening to your body, so try to focus on that and take the time to enjoy everything you eat as well. 

Good luck!

Archived