jvitya2111

Recipes with limited resources

Hello! I would really like to start a whole 30 not to lose weight but to start feeling better. I had a baby 5 months ago and I live in Ukraine and I have just felt so low in energy and unhappy the last month. I am coming back to the US next month but for now, I have limited food sources in Ukraine. Things are pretty expensive here sometimes and I need recipe ideas. Things that are easy to get are beans, lentils, carrots, cabbage, potatoes, beets, squash, pumpkin, and many fruits. Also, eggs are very easy and straight from the farm! Indian spices are difficult to find and are expensive. Please send me some ideas!

Ok, lentils are out as they are a legume but the other foods you mentioned are good. How is your access to meat? Chicken & Pork I'm sure are easy enough? You don't have to be making complicated recipes every day - just cook up some meat, add herbs & spices for flavouring, serve with whatever veg (roasted, sauteed, raw etc) you have on hand, and add some fat. Or adjust your tried and tested recipes to be compliant - keep it super simple and you'll succeed!!

7 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Ok, lentils are out as they are a legume but the other foods you mentioned are good. How is your access to meat? Chicken & Pork I'm sure are easy enough? You don't have to be making complicated recipes every day - just cook up some meat, add herbs & spices for flavouring, serve with whatever veg (roasted, sauteed, raw etc) you have on hand, and add some fat. Or adjust your tried and tested recipes to be compliant - keep it super simple and you'll succeed!!

and beans... beans are out too ;)

17 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

and beans... beans are out too ;)

Although green beans are fine - along with sugar snap & snow peas - very confusing! :lol:

34 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Although green beans are fine - along with sugar snap & snow peas - very confusing! :lol:

Yep... I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that beans in the same breath as lentils means split peas etc... ;)

I thought this is a vegetarian forum?  Why is chicken and pork being recommended when vegetarians do not eat meat?  I have the Whole30 shopping list for vegetarians and vegans right in front of me and it's written that various beans ARE allowed - properly prepared (soaked, boiled, etc).  You can also use organic tempeh, natto edamame, and tofu.  I can share some lentil and other legume recipes if you are still interested....I cook Indian food (using minimal spices) with alot of veggies and some legumes quite a bit.  I also modify some of their recipes in the book.  For example, I make the ground beef and spinach frittata and just remove the ground beef....maybe just add another veggie in place of it, like tomato or artichoke, and it's delicious.

7 minutes ago, Cindy5048 said:

I thought this is a vegetarian forum?  Why is chicken and pork being recommended when vegetarians do not eat meat?  I have the Whole30 shopping list for vegetarians and vegans right in front of me and it's written that various beans ARE allowed - properly prepared (soaked, boiled, etc).  You can also use organic tempeh, natto edamame, and tofu.  I can share some lentil and other legume recipes if you are still interested....I cook Indian food with alot of veggies and some legumes quite a bit.

Hi - you're quite right... looks like maybe Julie and I didn't notice it was in the vegetarian section of the forum.