Propolis spray - honey as an ingredient.

Mulata

I've just under taken a therapy for my ms (actually watered down chemo) and I've embarked on a whole 30 after to try and get my body healed from what is a pretty intense therapy. It's destroyed my immune system so it will stop attacking my body. Unfortunately it means I'm also at risk of catching pretty much everything. 

Ive heard that propolis spray is good for keeping the nasties at bay. Unfortunately the only propolis spray I seem to be able to get hold of in the UK contains honey as one of the ingredients (I've found a compliant one but it's Canadian and I don't think I can get hold of it). Considering one spray in your mouth probably gives you about 1ml of spray and honey is the third ingredient can I have this on my whole 30? Do I put my general health ahead of the whole 30?

• Moderators

If you can get your doctor to say that you need to take it (not just shrug and say whatever, but actually say that you will benefit from this and he recommends you take it) then it could fall under the, doctor's orders trump whole30 rules exception.

It looks like if you aren't treating very specific conditions with it, such as cold sores or mouth or throat pain, its benefit is mainly that it is thought to be anti-inflammatory. Whole30 itself is anti-inflammatory,  so while treating inflammation is certainly helpful to healing, you will already be doing that by eating this way, so skipping the propolis for 30 days shouldn't be a big deal.

That said, you are an adult and get to decide for yourself what is important to you. There are no Whole30 police around to watch what you eat or what supplements you take. If you feel like this item is important to your health and that you are better off taking it than not, that is your decision.

Thanks for the reply. Think I'm just having an ms related freak out. I just so desperately want to feel better. As it is I didn't buy the spray (before I'd read your reply - I figured I could work until next month when I'll be back at work with people who tend to work through being sick so they can go sick when they're well and enjoy the time off), somehow got a UTI and have been trying desperately not to have a relapse (I feel it's coming anyway). Today has been a bad day when I've eaten nakd bars for fun because I'm feeling sorry for myself. So tomorrow I'm starting my whole 30 over - even though I was already 12 days in. The only person I'm cheating is myself, but I haven't made wise choices even though technically no non compliant ingredients have passed my lips. Sorry for me going on a bit, just felt I needed to come clean. The spray will wait. 

Archived