Weird stomach sounds?

Hey all! 

I am on day 6 of my first Whole 30 and have been feeling really good! The past two days, though, I have been noticing that my stomach has been making rumbling sounds - constantly. I feel like there's an emptiness in my stomach. I've been eating a good amount of food - probably about the same amount as I did before Whole 30.  It's not painful at all, It's just annoying. I've been trying to avoid snacking, but my stomach feels like it's empty, even though I'm not hungry. I'm not sure if I had just been eating so poorly before that my stomach was never really digesting anything correctly until now? Has anyone else had this happen? And any reasons why? It's not anything bad, just kind of annoying haha. 

• Moderators

It's possible that your stomach is asking for food but that your 'not hungry' signals are telling you otherwise.

The only way for us to give any directed advice is to know what you've been eating in portion sizes related to the template, specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits, water intake, workouts, pre and post workout snacks etc...

I have been doing my best to follow the template for portion sizes. I have been eating the same amount of food a day. This is what I ate today: 

For breakfast I had 2 eggs and veggies. For lunch I made an omelet with kale, sweet potatoes and bacon and some fruit. I had a Larabar for a snack and then for dinner I ate brussel sprouts, cauliflower rice and 4 chicken tenderloins. I have also been drinking alot of water so maybe that's why I don't "feel" hungry - but my stomach does? My stomach has been doing this right after my meals as well, so I don't think that it's because I'm hungry

• Moderators

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most poeple that starts with 3-4.  You also have no fat in your breakfast. 

The omlette sounds good, but it's hard to tell how much actual veggies you had and how many eggs.  If you had to eat a Larabar for a snack, that tells me that you're not eating enough.  Larabars are also only approved for emergencies... if while you're figuring out your meal composition you need to eat between meals, make it fat and protein, not fruit/nuts/bars.

Your dinner doesn't show any fat either and how did the tenderloins match your palm's widthxlengthxthickness?

In all I would say you are not eating enough and the grumbling sounds is your stomach asking for more food.

The fact that this is only happening now is for a couple of reasons... first, nutrition is cummulative so if you've been undereating for the last week, it's not surprising it would catch up with you.  It could also be complicated if you are on the week before or of your period... many women find themselves eating one or two whole extra meals during this time... if this is where you are at, that plus the undereating may be the cause.

You're probably right! I just haven't been as hungry as normal, so I've been eating as much as my stomach feels like it can hold. 

Since your response I've been eating a lot more with no snacks and no stomach grumbles!! Haha. I'm just learning as I go, really. I plan to do another Whole 30 this year - and hopefully it will go a lot smoother now that I have this experience under my belt. Thank you!

Archived