Newbie - Day 5... Woah

amjeser

Okay, so I'm gliding through the first four days of my first whole 30! More energy, better mood, clear headed and just healthier, then came day five. It actually started last night on the evening of day four. I was so tired, I had all of these plan for my Sunday night (my usual rituals to prepare for the week which includes grocery shopping) but I couldn't move once I sat on the couch. I was so exhausted I ended up in bed at 8pm then slept until 6am and am still exhausted. On top of it all, my stomach and bowel movements seem to be... not the best. 

I know in the blog article about what to expect, this can be normal. Curious if you all experienced this too and if you have any ways to stay energized while you go through this phase.

Thank you!

What have you been eating @amjeser? Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily? Are you salting your food? Adding fat to every meal? Perhaps if you could provide us with a little more detail we could suggest some tweaks that will help you feel better....

Hi @jmcbn. I can definitely give you more insight. So far I've found myself incorporating 1/2 an avocado into two out of three meals daily. When I haven't I'm relying on the cooking fats to get that intake (so breakfast yesterday was eggs and roasted sweet potatoes (both cooked in coconut oil with salt) and an apple). 

I drink a lot of water but today I'll pay closer attention to the amount because maybe it's not as much as I think. 

Protein is coming from eggs and fish, haven't had a ton of time to get super creative with my meals but hoping to switch up some recipes this week. Portion wise, yesterday I had about 10 small shrimp as my serving of protein. 

Does this help? Maybe I need more fat when not incorporating avocado? Instead of just relying on cooking fat?

Yep, you need to add fat over and above what you're using to cook with - this will help with satiety & energy, and also the bathroom department. 

10 small shrimp also sounds like too little in terms of protein - how do those relate to the size of your palm? You should be aiming for at least a palm sized serving (width, length & depth), more if you are active - and on that note if you ARE active you may need pre and/or postWO meals too...

Are you salting your food? And this may sound daft, but are you getting adequate sleep?

Archived