Whole 30 and sinus/allergies!!

Hi guys! I'm on day 22 of my first whole30. I've always have seasonal allergies that have been a pain. Early in my whole30 (days 3-10), my allergies were SO MUCH BETTER. Since then, they have gotten progressively worse. I'm wondering if there are any foods I am eating that could be worsening my allergies? I eat pretty much anything and everything allowed on Whole30, because I like diversity in my meals. Anyone know of any foods that can exacerbate allergies, or had similar issues, with any suggestions? I still take my allergy meds every day, but I almost feel like my allergies are worse than they were before I started whole30!!! And, I know I'm not at day 30 yet, so I'm being patient, but would like any help I can get in the meantime!!!

• Moderators

Hey there -

It's more reasonable for you to list the foods you're eating in higher quantities for us to take a look at than it is for us to research and list every food that might be a trigger.

Ok, let's see... Lots of proteins (chicken, chicken sausage (without any additives that aren't allowed), ground turkey, shrimp/other fish, eggs 3 times a week on average, ground beef maybe once a week, paleo bacon once every other week), lots of veggies (cauli, broccoli, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, cabbage, sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, leafy greens, brussels sprouts - all eaten often; white potatoes eaten a couple times a week), fruits 2x a day (usually lots of avocados? (can't remember if fruit or veggie, haha, all berries but mostly strawberries and raspberries, bananas, apples, occasionally cherries or grapes), occasionally almond butter, walnuts, compliant LaraBars (I work with small children and am VERY busy with long days at work, so Larabars are for occasional snacks when I don't have time to eat anything else in between sessions with kids, maybe have these 3 times a week - I always go at least 4-5 hours between meals, but sometimes I have 7 or so hours between meals because of busy work schedule and commuting time, which I can't really change sadly!), and I cook with mostly olive oil and coconut oil, and occasionally with ghee, and of course I use various spices when making meals as well. Oh and when I have salads I use a compliant balsamic vinegar on them, or salsa.

I'm eating more squash... more meat because I used to eat beans as protein at some meals (not a huge meat eater, but I can be when I need to!), and more almond butter (I usually use peanut butter because it's less expensive, even though I like almond butter), and more avocados. Are any of those foods ones that could trigger? It could be the outdoors just making me sick, haha. Wouldn't be a first. I just wanted to see if there was ANYTHING I could do to help me cause I'm miserable - so much congestion, mucus, throat clearing, sneezing, etc. Thanks for your help!

• Moderators

Avocado can cause runny nose and seasonal allergy type symptoms...

Almonds and almond butter can cause itchy skin rash,sneezing, wheezing, a runny or stuffy nose and itchy, watery eyes.

You may want to reduce the amounts you eat of these, and with anything that you're eating, you can google 'XXX allergy symptoms' and find out if that item can be contributing.  I'm not going to do that for everything you've listed, but you can :)

Archived