I hate that this is so hard!

luvbnhealthy

I keep saying to myself, "I'll start tomorrow." I start off really well, then get a craving or see something and decide to cave. Normally, it's sugar related. I've been eating my Greek yogurt as my only dairy maybe 1-2x per week, but I'm fairly sure I can cut that with no problem. As far as grains/pasta - I eat them maybe twice a week so pretty sure I can cut those. But it is the sugar!!! What a demon it truly is! I think I am getting a hold on it, and it rears its ugly head. It started with my husband's birthday, then my son's birthday. Up until then, I was weaning myself off, but now it has struck back with a vengeance. Yesterday, Ice cream and chocolate chip cookie. Those chocolate eggs with the creamy centers (3 today!). It's been something just about everyday since last Tuesday. I am not beating myself up over it, but I just want the temptations and cravings to go away. I love to eat clean. I know it makes me feel better, but everytime I think of not having a particular food I really enjoy, it makes me want it. Yes, I know I'm an adult, but I guess the kid comes out in me when I think of giving up sugar. I'll just keep working on it. Tomorrow is another day. :(

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. I've been right where you are. You just have to start thinking of the consequences, and how much more you want the results of the Whole30 MORE and just go for it. The thing is, it's not gonna stop between now and Christmas, and that's a lot of cost to you.... So why not shift in the other direction?

It really does get easier the longer you stay away from it. There was a thread started by someone...I forget who. He was talking about how hard not partaking in Happy Hour like his friends. We all decided that it's the anticipation of all the naughty stuff more than actually eating/drinking the naughty stuff. Anticipation is fun!

Well, I am luckier than most when it comes to the holidays. While we do celebrate Thanksgiving, I decided several years ago it was just another day of food and not that big of a deal. And we do not celebrate Christmas; therefore I do not attend parties so this time of the year is not a hardship on me. As long as I don't bake it or bring it home, I am fine. However, I have a family who do not see things as I do healthwise so that is where the difficulty lies. I am not going to force my choices on others. I just have to keep working on it. Just thinking about it makes me want to go get some ice cream or something!

I just pulled the trigger at 10 am one morning. I knew that so far that day I hadn't had anything non-compliant so I just did it (like they say in the book, just do it. Start now. Right now. This instant. )

I had a major sugar dragon, so I know what you're talking about. The beauty of starting it, once you stop you have a built-in excuse to just keep going. In the beginning, it took awhile to break the habits but then it was second nature. And it is SO FREEING to not be held victim by the sugar urges. Once you break it, you will be overjoyed.

I found the "limitations" of the W30 helpful, because it took away the "everything in moderation" aspect that tends to become all moderation, all the time.

I said to my sister, I gave up alcohol/sushi/soft cheeses/caffiene/etc when pregnant, for my babies. I gave him dairy when I nursed them because it hurt them. I was quick to give up stuff for my kids because I knew it was better for them, but sooo sloowww to give it up for myself.

Do it for yourself.

And tell yourself, this stuff isn't going away. It will still be there after 30 days. So if it's a party, or a wedding, or a birthday or whatever, you can throw yourself a party with champagne and birthday cake when you are done. At the end, you will be surprised it went so fast.

You can do it!

Sugar is an addiction, corporate America relies on it.

As with any addictive behavior, the three questions you need to ask yourself are:

1) is what I'm about to do going to hurt me?

2) is what I'm about to do going to hurt anyone else?

3) if I do it anyway, can I live with the consequences?

Well if the answers in the case of sugar addiction are 1), type 2 diabetes, hypertension, possible obesity, plethora of other ailments...... 2) setting bad examples for my loved ones, too sluggish to enjoy my family, mood swings.....3). Guilt, self loathing,depression, self medicate with more sugar to feel better.....

You will surprise yourself at just how strong you are, and how much you can take..... Everyday you refrain from the addiction you become more and more powerful..... And if you slip up, no big deal, just get right back on the right track.....

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. @Tasha, you are absolutely correct. Start right now. So yesterday, I subscribed to the Whole30 Daily. I actually drank my coffee this morning with just coconut milk (no coconut sugar like normal). It was actually not bad at all. A definite first for me to have coffee without sugar.

@Fenderbender, I am not quite that addicted. There are days when I can totally avoid it. Then the cravings hit and nothing seems to satisfy but sugar. Luckily, I have no health issues. But then, I don't want any. That's why I want to try this.

I'm totally there with you, I've been off grains for ages, dairy... Well, that's harder as I milk my own grassfed cows, but I gave it up without too much pain, coconut milk is a godsend. Sweets... AHHHHH, I'm such a sweet addict! I mostly quit sugar a while ago but stevia does just the same thing for me, and God forbid I go over to visit someone who eats sweets, I will ransack their pantry and frig for yummy stuff... I don't know why cravings get worse when I'm away from home, probably because I don't have sweet stuff here. Whole 30 worked wonders for me on the sweet cravings, I'm still not "cured", but I managed halloween last night without even a nibble, though I knew if I had even a nibble that would have been the end and I would have eaten the whole bag. I've found that if I "just say no" I can handle it, if I have even a taste, I'm completely gone and wallowing in sugar :) You will notice that fruit does it for you quite well after you get over the initial withdrawal, though I have to be careful to limit it as it sets me off on the whole carb/sweet craving cycle if I'm not careful. And I'm with you on the coffee, I don't like bitter things, but I've found that I really enjoy coffee with just coconut milk, but only super expensive fair trade organic Guatemalan coffee made with a french press, that cheap stuff is just nasty! Previously I could only drink coffee if it was basically syrup. The main thing I'd recommend is get it all out of the house if possible, if you have family who's not on board make them put everything non-compliant in a safe place as far away and hidden as possible. Or just say, screw you, if I can't have it you can't either and throw it all in the trash :)

You have to decide, really decide, and commit to yourself that you are going to do it. Just for 30 days. It is a deep promise.

And it does get easier once you get days under your belt! For me, the first five are the hardest.

Thanks Marie! You hit the nail on the head. If it isn't around I'm fine without sugar. And my family isn't on board because I haven't told them I am doing this. They think I eat weirdly as I've always eaten a fairly clean diet, and as long as I don't force it on them they just tease me about it. I am ok with that. I just talk to my sons quite a bit about why it is important to eat healthy. I try to lead my husband by example but he loves his carbs - bread, pasta, etc. Most of what they eat I can avoid. Ice cream is a hard one especially certain flavors. But I subscribed to the Daily and I am going to come to the boards when I am feeling weak. And I just have to tell myself, "It's only 30 days! I can do anything for 30 days."

though I knew if I had even a nibble that would have been the end and I would have eaten the whole bag. I've found that if I "just say no" I can handle it, if I have even a taste, I'm completely gone and wallowing in sugar :)

This is true for me too--I have to be all or none (so none) with sugar.

Ya, I guess I switched my husband over slowly, when I started eating paleoish about two or so years ago, he was like "whatever, crazy women and crazy diets"... But I stay at home and do all the cooking, and shopping, so I just started cooking super yummy food sans grains. He was totally okay with that, as long as it tastes good who cares what's in it. The kids are young enough, 6,4,2, that they don't have a choice :) Now he's completely on board, well, except he still eats burgers or whatever he can get while at work, it's really hard for him to pack a lunch as he doesn't get a lunch time and is in a truck all day long. But he's always been a health freak, just had to learn that grains doesn't equal healthy, so not too big a deal. And hopefully he's noticed that I'm no longer "run you out of the room gassy" (I loathe beans, who would ever eat beans as a choice knowing what it does to you? that's coming from a 30 year vegetarian and beanaholic) along with weighing less and it being muscle instead of "skinny fat" and having twice as much energy and the house is actually clean most of the time because of that!

Thanks Marie! You hit the nail on the head. If it isn't around I'm fine without sugar. And my family isn't on board because I haven't told them I am doing this. They think I eat weirdly as I've always eaten a fairly clean diet, and as long as I don't force it on them they just tease me about it. I am ok with that. I just talk to my sons quite a bit about why it is important to eat healthy. I try to lead my husband by example but he loves his carbs - bread, pasta, etc. Most of what they eat I can avoid. Ice cream is a hard one especially certain flavors. But I subscribed to the Daily and I am going to come to the boards when I am feeling weak. And I just have to tell myself, "It's only 30 days! I can do anything for 30 days."

Yes, I'll have to really work on my husband. He loves meat and veggies, but boy does he like sugar and cream in his coffee! He is a big pasta, milk and cheese lover, too. Ah well, one thing at a time. I have to admit I love beans - especially black, red, and kidney beans. They don't cause me problems, but I will cut them out - as well as my Greek yogurt, quinoa, brown rice, and whole wheat pasta. :huh: One day at a time!

OK, the Daily says I should be feeling the cravings, feel like I need a nap, and kinda sluggish. But right now, I feel great. May have been this morning's 36 mile bike ride. It's getting close to Sugar Dragon time, but right now, I am not feeling it. But then, I just ate last nights leftovers of grassfed ground beef, onion, butternut squash, and fresh roasted green beans!

Don't you just love it when someone brings home something you like but can't have. My son bought 4 bags of mixed Halloween candy (Kit Kat, Almond Joy, Reeses, etc. for $1.00 a bag. I promptly removed it from my sight. My other son proceeded to eat a dark chocolate bar (this is really the kind I love) yesterday and offered me some. I was proud of myself for being able to resist it. Even when he waved it in my face a few times!

Have you told your family you're doing this? If not, TELL THEM. This is so very important and speaks volumes to how successful you're going to be.

I think the reason we don't tell people we're close to that we're taking on a big change like this is that somewhere inside we're afraid to fully commit to it, or we're afraid we're going to fail. But, YOU decide if you're going to fail. You have that power. So, seriously, for your benefit, you must tell your family that you're doing this for 30 days. You may find that they'll help you out by not tempting you unnecessarily, especially if you tell them what you need from them. More importantly, you will have committed to this in front of the people you love.

The sugar demon is a hard one to slay, I know because I'm a ridiculous sugar addict. But, I did a Whole30 recently with zero slips. I think if I can do that, anyone can. Really! You just have to commit to it fully and live it for the 30 days. Sounds like you're working on that. Getting the daily was definitely a smart move (I found it to be so useful). Now, you gotta tell people you're doing this! :)

@CaseyD, I did inform my son who was waving the dark chocolate bar in my face that I was trying something for the next 30 days and couldn't have anything but meat, veggies, fruit, and healthy fats. His response, "Why? You already eat well. This isn't going to hurt you." :rolleyes: My husband doesn't question or tempt me and my other son doesn't care. They are use to what they would call "my strange eating habits", and as long as I don't expect them to follow along, it's ok. I am fully committed to doing this. I really didn't eat horribly before deciding to do Whole30. No soda, fried foods and minimal processed foods. But I participate in sprint triathlons, long distance bike rides, 5k to half marathons, and taekwondo; I teach fitness classes and have no health issues but I wanted to see what really clean eating habits would do for my body and my training. The biggest change for me in all this is the sugar. I usually ate dark chocolate whenever I wanted it, sometimes I would go on ice cream binges, eat a couple of cupcakes if they were available. So I do plan on getting through the 30 days - well, 26 now!

Yep, young son made a coconut fudge milkshake tonight and wanted to know if I wanted any. I said, "No. You know I'm not eating that stuff." Then he said, "But it's creamy and yummy, coconutty." I just told him to stop. But I didn't cave and I so love coconut ice cream! Instead, I ate cold roasted chicken and homemade chipotle mayo!

I am going to beat my youngest son! No, not really, but last night, what does he have in his hand? A dark chocolate bar - my absolute favorite - then proceeds to offer it to me. Argh! But I didn't cave. I love my son! ;) But honestly, right now, it hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be to resist. I guess my mind is really set that I am going to do this. I don't know if we are ever really sure how we will react until a challenge is placed before us.

Archived