I hate that this is so hard!

luvbnhealthy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day #8. I must say that I am now starting to miss some of the foods I use to eat. I watched my family eat the smoked sausage, rice, beans, and cornbread last night, and I really wanted to have some. Living in the South, this is a staple and a favorite meal. But I didn't partaike. I couldn't decide what to eat so I sort of scouraged around without a plan, eating a little of this and a little of that (Whole30 approved, of course). Then I just went to bed. Last two night of sleep were not very good unfortunately.

Day #9 - Observing when my weak times are and it's 3:00 and nighttime. I'm starting to get bored and long for some of the things I use to eat. Still not giving in though. I need to shake it up, but not sure how.

I know that feeling. Those were always my weak times as well. Long ago and far far away, I was a night time forager. 3pm..interesting..is that when the kids come home from school and dive into carby snacks? How about some new recipes? Is there something you can do like do something with a friend or join a club or take up a hobby? Have you tried Kombucha?

I get the munchies pretty regularly around 3-3:30 too. I know ideally you should be able to eat enough at each meal to make it to the next, but the afternoon thing seems almost hardwired to me. And I have a long stretch from lunch to dinner, so I usually have a snack. What has been working for me is a few slices of Applegate salami (post-30) and a few nuts, or a spoon of coconut butter, or a handful of black olives, or sometimes a can of V-8 (borderline ok on W30 I think? -- drinking your food isn't encouraged, but in a pinch it might get you through a rough spot). A snack of protein and fat really calm my urge to go off road, plus I am more likely to take time to make a good dinner if I'm not starving when I get home from work. The first couple weeks of my W30 I had Lara Bars and dried pineapple, but gave those things up when I felt more stable bc they were too much like getting an afternoon candy fix.

@slw600 - No, normally, I'm at work around 3:00 and the urge just hits. Like Ann said, it's like it's hardwired to be "hey! 3:00! Time for a snack (of processed carb or chocolate). And yes, I really like Kombucha. I only drink it about twice a week, though. It's just those old eating habits and cravings that are still with me that I haven't shaken yet. It really helps to get on the forum and post what I am feeling. If I express it, I feel as though it helps me avoid messing up. This is Day 10 and I just keep reminding myself that I only have 3 more weeks to go, but I would love to have some chocolate or those thin crispy pretzels or Stacy's pita chips (my 3 snack mainstays). :unsure: But I'm not going to do it!

Today was easier somehow. Before, I just couldn't seem to get satisfaction from my food no matter what I ate. I knew if I ate something I wasn't suppose to that that feeling would go away. Two things I've noticed since being on Whole30 - the upper part of my thighs (a problem area) are thinner and my nails are healthier. I've had nail problems forever. My nailbeds are smooth and pink and my nails seem stronger. So those are definite positives!

@slw600 - No, normally, I'm at work around 3:00 and the urge just hits. Like Ann said, it's like it's hardwired to be "hey! 3:00! Time for a snack (of processed carb or chocolate). And yes, I really like Kombucha. I only drink it about twice a week, though. It's just those old eating habits and cravings that are still with me that I haven't shaken yet. It really helps to get on the forum and post what I am feeling. If I express it, I feel as though it helps me avoid messing up. This is Day 10 and I just keep reminding myself that I only have 3 more weeks to go, but I would love to have some chocolate or those thin crispy pretzels or Stacy's pita chips (my 3 snack mainstays). :unsure: But I'm not going to do it!

It will get easier and those habits and cravings will lessen and lessen. For me, it was always when the house was quiet and people went to bed. Yeee Haawwww...time for me to forage. :)

OK, this was certainly hard in the beginning, but my body is starting to adapt to no processed foods, dairy, or grains. Even though I still want some of the bad foods, the cravings are getting less. I still cannot picture my life without some of the yummy foods I enjoy - cake, ice cream, etc, but I will make these items myself so I know what's in it. Had a couple of strange food dreams. The first one was of me dipping a bread cube in melted butter which is odd since I'm not that big of a bread eater! :huh:

Spoke too soon! Last night, I was tired but had to can the last of our crop of various hot peppers (I pickle them). So while I was compliant, I had a banana and a Larabar before going to bed. I wasn't hungry. I should have just gone to bed. Today has gone well. Just have to remember to go to bed when tired not eat!

Good for you! That's one hard. I have tried not to take things that I've loved in the past from other people, but you don't want to hurt their feelings either. But you also want to do what's best for you. So in the freezer (or in the garbage) they will go when I get home.

I just make you aware of day 21. Around this day - doesn't need to be exactly day 21, but there will some be some pretty hefty cravings. These are your body's last stitch effort in getting you to give into your old style eating habits. Don't listen. Treat it as a good sign, You have almost slayed that pesky sugar dragon. If you are doing well now you should be able to handle it without any problems.

Carlaccini, thanks for the heads up. I must admit that I've caved to the bananas and Larabars to keep the Sugar Dragon at bay. I haven't abused them, but it has helped me not to cave. Then two days ago, reading the Whole9 facebook page about Larabars, people kept referring to making them. And I'm like, "Well yeah! I can do that." So I did and they are to die for - macadamia, almond, apricot, and coconut. Gotta be careful with them, but they are so much better than Larabars!

Alana, you're right about the brain! Man, is it deceitful! Likes to tell you pretty little lies like "a little won't hurt!" My son asked me last night, "Mom, are you still on that 30 day diet? Because this ice cream is really good. You need to taste some." And I said, Yes, I am still on it, and I'm sure it is very good, but I cannot try it now." I wanted to. Temptation is ALL over!

I here you on the sugar dragon bit! I'm day 11 of my second whole 30 and I am noticing my sugar dragon lurking in the most horrible places. Especially at night. I admit for the most part I eat 2 fruits a day. But sometimes it just isn't enough. 1 to 2 more fruits sometimes just jump in there to keep the dragon at bay. Recently I had to put a stop to dried fruit (Raisins) as they were really leaking into my diet at a large capacity and just feeding the sugar dragon.

With regards to the homemade Lara bars - yep they are sooooo much better than the store bought variety. I've had one prepakaged one, was disappointed (because I had been spoiled by my homemade ones already). But I've had to limit myself making them. They became too much "snack" as opposed to an emergency meal fix.

Yep, can't make any more of my own "Larabars" for a while! They see too good and I enjoy them too much. Almost broke down last night and ate some pumkin roll. I actually opened it then quickly rewrapped it and shoved it back into the freezer.

Now the real challenge! Road trip! Donuts for breakfast that I avoided. Snack foods in the form of pretzels and puts chips. Argh!

Road trips are definitely challenging. I've stayed 97% compliant. Since I didn't bring coconut milk for coffee, I have used cream but no sugar. We went on a bit of a hike yesterday. I forgot my bag of nuts, coconut, and dried fruit so wound up eating some pretzels. Then I purchased some soft mint candy from Cracker Barrel that I use to love, are one piece, and decided I didn't care for it anymore. So...day 23, and the cravings aren't there. Yay!

OK, well...I'll be finishing out these final three days. I caved a little too much on my road trip. Stayed mostly compliant, but then we wound up in Austin - a land of wonderful food. I had one piece of fabulous white pizza (actually made my stomach hurt some), a to-die-for (lol) cupcake, and a mini DQ Blizzard on the way home (standard road trip treat). The thing that is really amazing is while the pizza tasted good, I decided I didn't miss it at all. Now the cupcake and Blizzard...well, that's another story, although, this is the first time I ever bought a mini Blizzard and was completely satisfied with it. I am still really happy with how well I managed on the trip though. Looking forward to doing another 30 - this time completely compliant!

OK, definitely going to start a new Whole30 tomorrow. I've been mostly compliant through the 30 days, however, with some backsliding. I can feel differences in my body with some foods, but one thing I found out today is if I don't plan my meals and just eat a normal meal then I snack all day looking for that something that will satisify me. Once I eat a complete meal, that does the trick. We are such creatures of habit...

Archived