I hate that this is so hard!

luvbnhealthy

Mmm yum those cupcakes sound good!! Sometimes in a weird kinda way I am happy I was diagnosed with Celiacs disease, it just puts so many of those sugary, sweet treats, pizzas etc in the NO basket because sometimes the gluten free ones don't usually taste as good and are not as widely offered as the others.

I'm on day 2 of my first whole30 today and I didn't find my 1st day too difficult, the worst time for me is after dinner :P I wanted to have a sweet treat, but I just went to bed instead so that was fine.

Has anyone else here just started a whole30? I realize it kinda isn't the best time w/ christmas and new years apon us ... but mainly my family doesn't go overboard on the sweets anyway, the only thing that worries me a bit is all the alcohol with the parties etc coming up.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SarahEmily - I've actually restarted another Whole30. Ah, the Sugar Dragon! My trouble is sweets (sugar), your's alcohol (a form of sugar). I am never tempted by alcohol. The book suggests that you get club soda and put lemon/lime/olives into it so it looks like you have a drink.

Luvbnhealthy, how far into your whole30 are you now? yeah i guess everyone has to have a weakness, its funny though, if i have too much alcohol im weak to everything :P

How was your day 2 Katie? Lol your location says Malborough, there is a Malborough in New Zealand where I am ... but I guess that's not where your from? haha and yay I guess we better look at this as a positive of celiacs disease :P

glad to hear you are both doing good!!

and katieoz same!! after dinner I always feel so hungry, but after reading the book (it starts with food) i found that we are meant to be most satisfied at this time.... i must have something going wrong cause i am most definitely not!! but i am going to add some starchy veges to my dinner tonight because I didn't know that there were any starchy veges except potatoes/sweet potatoes and yams until i googled some of the ones listed on the whole30 shopping list today... seriously that sounds so silly and naive of me, but I have eaten heaps of veges all my life, just never squash (which is called pumpkin in New Zealand), parsnips and some of the other veges listed i had never heard of either. also i had to start my whole30 again because i had a coffee with cream and completly forgot that i wasnt supposed to have dairy... I don't even no how i did that!!!!

anyway i hope this will help me... do either of you have any other suggestions??

OK, well...I'll be finishing out these final three days. I caved a little too much on my road trip. Stayed mostly compliant, but then we wound up in Austin - a land of wonderful food. I had one piece of fabulous white pizza (actually made my stomach hurt some), a to-die-for (lol) cupcake, and a mini DQ Blizzard on the way home (standard road trip treat). The thing that is really amazing is while the pizza tasted good, I decided I didn't miss it at all. Now the cupcake and Blizzard...well, that's another story, although, this is the first time I ever bought a mini Blizzard and was completely satisfied with it. I am still really happy with how well I managed on the trip though. Looking forward to doing another 30 - this time completely compliant!

I'm confused...are you doing a whole 30 right now; and eating pizza and cupcakes? Or are you starting a whole 30 soon?

I was wondering the same thing too. I'm actually shocked that while the cravings/temptations are there (donuts in the office, traveling, coworkers ordering wine and desserts at business outings) I haven't caved once. Don't think I didn't highly highly consider it, but I just did NOT want to start over again.

As long as I get my orange or apple once a day, I seem to be good with the sugar now (Day 10). Funny how fruit now starts to taste sweet enough for you 10 days without pies, cupcakes, etc.

I'm worried now about rejoining the world after this time has passed. Have any of you guys (or previous champions of this program) successfully merged back into the real world without undoing all of the good the W30 has done?

Have any of you guys (or previous champions of this program) successfully merged back into the real world without undoing all of the good the W30 has done?

All I will say is that it is a process! Last night I had a nibble of some "chocolate cake" my son made at scouts--all I could taste was sugar and I was upset I even bothered. (Though, my son did make it and offer it to me.) Then, I had a bite of my dughter's fudgesicle. There was no excuse for that!

Will I undo all the good I have done? I hope not. That is within my control, however.

Mostly.

Heather - I originally started my first Whole30 on November 1 them got detailed on a Thanksgiving roadtrip.. Despite the fact that I messed up, I got back on the wagon and finished it out. I have restarted another Whole30 this past Monday. This was my place to chronicle what was happening during my first try. It helped me. On one day during my first Whole30, I had one piece of pizza and one cu.pcake. So, now I've committed to a new Whole30.

Road trips are definitely challenging. I've stayed 97% compliant. Since I didn't bring coconut milk for coffee, I have used cream but no sugar. We went on a bit of a hike yesterday. I forgot my bag of nuts, coconut, and dried fruit so wound up eating some pretzels. Then I purchased some soft mint candy from Cracker Barrel that I use to love, are one piece, and decided I didn't care for it anymore. So...day 23, and the cravings aren't there. Yay!

OK, well...I'll be finishing out these final three days. I caved a little too much on my road trip. Stayed mostly compliant, but then we wound up in Austin - a land of wonderful food. I had one piece of fabulous white pizza (actually made my stomach hurt some), a to-die-for (lol) cupcake, and a mini DQ Blizzard on the way home (standard road trip treat). The thing that is really amazing is while the pizza tasted good, I decided I didn't miss it at all. Now the cupcake and Blizzard...well, that's another story, although, this is the first time I ever bought a mini Blizzard and was completely satisfied with it. I am still really happy with how well I managed on the trip though. Looking forward to doing another 30 - this time completely compliant!

Just some tough love..... I see you started another W30

There is no "97%" complient version...it's 100% or nothing. If you can't go 30 days without pizza,cupcakes,blizzards..... Then you are not getting the physical/ emotional/ mental benefits the program has to offer..

The key Is to go the full 30 ( or in a lot of cases longer) then slowly according to protocol, reintroduce in a scientific and healthy way food groups one at a time, only once every four days, to see which foods are irritants/ triggers/ not worth it ..... No way to do it if your binging.... And according to your posts you are making excuses and emotionally binging.... Then after you experimented and came to what you can and can't tolerate, you still make healthy choices.... There is a great flow chart on this site for that.

I wish you good health and success in your new attempt at whole30.... Sorry to come of hard , but my mentality is do it 100%... Acknowledge being human and messing up, that's not failure,that's personal growth.... Own your health and well being and restart like you did and give it your all....

Others were beating around the bush, I just had to come out and say it....

Fenderbender - Not offended at all. I was 100% compliant until days 24 and 25. Got back on the wagon knowing I was no longer compliant but making sure I did not continue those bad habits. I didn't have to write it on this forum if I were trying to make excuses. Who would know except me. But like I said, I put it out there not only to help myself but maybe help others in their struggles. It wasn't emotional binging - at least not in my mind - but I was with my family on a roadtrip and became weak while out having fun. Normally, I wouldn't have been quite so mindful on a trip so I was very pleased with the results of my first Whole30. After all, I am trying to change a lifetime of less than stellar eating habits. So, as the saying goes, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"

Sorry if I took your posts to mean that you were eating off program the entire time

24 days is a great accomplishment you should be proud of.... The only reason I even posted is because I do feel passionate about this, and in a way feel a connection to everyone who participates. I only stuck my big mouth in because I care and for the first time in my life I feel free. Free from diets. Free from scales. Free from meds. Free from pain. Free fr depression and anxiety and I owe it all to the food I eat and this amazing community

I see now that you did post to take ownership of your slip...

I truly wish you great success and health and I will continue to give tough love weather you want it or not.... Lol

• 2 years later...

Sugar is an addiction, corporate America relies on it.

As with any addictive behavior, the three questions you need to ask yourself are:

1) is what I'm about to do going to hurt me?

2) is what I'm about to do going to hurt anyone else?

3) if I do it anyway, can I live with the consequences?

Well if the answers in the case of sugar addiction are

1) type 2 diabetes, hypertension, possible obesity, plethora of other ailments......

2) setting bad examples for my loved ones, too sluggish to enjoy my family, mood swings.....

3) Guilt, self loathing,depression, self medicate with more sugar to feel better.....

You will surprise yourself at just how strong you are, and how much you can take..... Everyday you refrain from the addiction you become more and more powerful..... 

Excellent post.

Archived