May 22nd Start Date- Who's In??

Caroline22

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like we've lost a lot of people since the beginning, at least here on the thread. I haven't had much of an appetite for about a week, and not much food seems appealing. I just looked and I'm right on schedule with the Whole30 timeline. Doing this for a second time has been interesting. As we move toward the finish line, I feel more boredom than tiger blood. First time around, the tiger blood was amazing! I'm dealing with some difficult personal issues, which probably kills the tiger blood somewhat. I haven't been able to exercise because of a foot injury, but the scale and mirror are calling regardless. (There's that calendar again). I need to make a giant batch of something tonight to have more food for the rest of the week, and I am not looking forward to it. Didn't get to prep as much as I usually do on Sunday. 

In summary: whine, whine, moan, moan. We're almost there!!

This week has been hard...lots of cravings and food boredom, but I'm still on plan.  I haven't exercise since last week and maybe that is why I'm feeling the way I do right now.  I can't wait for my leg to be better.  I went for 3 miles walk twice last week and the rest of the afternoon the leg was supper sore, so I started to listen to the doctor and I'm just resting the leg as much as possible.

Yesterday, I made soup and salad for today and tomorrow's lunch and the fridge is stocked with lots of goodies for dinners this week.

I feel much better today. I made a big double batch of tuna zoodle casserole last night. I love meals like this because you get your veggies, protein and fat all in one. I've been dealing with some cravings in the past few days, but I'm pretty sure that's because I wasn't eating as much as I needed to and my meals didn't follow the template like they should ideally. But this casserole has been kind of a game changer. I imagine it's pretty quick if you have a spiralizer, but I did not, so it took me some time with the julienne peeler. I think next time I'll get creative with spices, etc. But the original is great, too. Here's the recipe:

http://www.cottercrunch.com/paleo-tuna-green-chile-zoodle-casserole/

We're in the home stretch, guys! Keep it up!

29 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

I feel much better today. I made a big double batch of tuna zoodle casserole last night. I love meals like this because you get your veggies, protein and fat all in one. I've been dealing with some cravings in the past few days, but I'm pretty sure that's because I wasn't eating as much as I needed to and my meals didn't follow the template like they should ideally. But this casserole has been kind of a game changer. I imagine it's pretty quick if you have a spiralizer, but I did not, so it took me some time with the julienne peeler. I think next time I'll get creative with spices, etc. But the original is great, too. Here's the recipe:

http://www.cottercrunch.com/paleo-tuna-green-chile-zoodle-casserole/

We're in the home stretch, guys! Keep it up!

Thanks so much for the recipe!

I had a great time with my sister and her kids Friday night, but the rest of the weekend was a bust. Felt really down in the dumps. Decided to re-watch Suits before they start up again and could.not.stop.watching. My self control goes out the window when my mood is bad. But fortunately, not with food this time! Even though i barely cooked and didn't do much prep, I had done enough work earlier in the month (and leftovers from friday) to have good options on hand. I ate too much fruit, but I'm back to a better template this week. 

I am also suffering food boredom, but this recipe seems really exciting! I haven't used the wide slicer disc in my spiralizer (which was a impulse buy at Target, I wish I had done some research b/c I'm sure I could have found a better one, this one is pretty crappy) and it's much "lighter" than the pot roast I was considering (even if I can't make it in a slow cooker). The ginormous spike in heat and humidity where I live has not helped my mood. I'll probably make it tomorrow night, and make a kale, chicken and bacon caesar salad tonight. I think I found the recipe I'm going to use for compliant dressing. 

Just 1 week to go! 

M1: Breakfast salad with chicken sausage

M2: Beef and butternut chili, cilantro slaw (W30 Book)

M3: Napa slaw with fried egg (W30 Book)

Workout: HIIT

Sorry my posts are so short. I just post daily to stay accountable. I am glad to see a few of us still hanging in there.

Hi all,

Just wanted to check in and say hi!  I'm still hanging in there, glad to see you are too.  Someone mentioned a strange thing is feeling like a meal should have veggies.  That's happened to me!  I never thought I'd eat veggies for breakfast but I absolutely love wilting some fresh spinach in bacon grease and eating it with fried eggs.  Sometimes I add some butternut squash if I'm extra hungry or have a big day ahead of me.  I'm not tired of the food but I'm tired of cooking and doing dishes.  The nice trade-off is the extra energy has me keeping up with all the dishes.

I wish my family would want to make more changes to their diets too.  I'm making small changes for them though, like tonight I made homemade fruit snacks for my son instead of buying the kind from the store.  Is plain gelatin Whole30 compliant?  They're just that and 100% fruit juice.  They turned out so cute!  

I made some coconut milk and chia pudding to eat this morning and got really gassy and bloated for the first time since I started.  No more chia for me!  I was thinking maybe this kind of reaction is what might happen when I add non-compliant foods back in.  It was interesting to me how obvious my problem was, and how aware I was of it and what caused it.  I was worried I wouldn't be able to identify food sensitivities but feeling more confident now.

I had to ask my son to hide my scale.  In a moment of weakness I tried to get him to tell me where it is, but he refused, even when I tried to bribe him.  

I made brownies with him Monday and didn't have even a teeny tiny taste.  I was proud of myself!  And then Tuesday we took the kids to see Wonder Woman at the theater and I didn't have a single piece of popcorn.  Win!  I brought raspberries and pistachios as a treat instead.

Here is a link to a buffalo chicken casserole I made this week.  I even made the homemade mayo and homemade ranch to go with it.  I halved the buffalo sauce and only used a little bit of chicken so it's more of a side than a protein.  It's spicy but a nice, flavorful change.  I'll be sorry tomorrow when I finish it.  http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2016/01/27/paleo-buffalo-chicken-casserole/ 

I've been marinating chicken and grilling a bunch and then reheating.  Here are two amazing marinades.  They both list sugar as an ingredient but I left it out completely, no replacement with fruit or anything, and both recipes turned out delicious.

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/thai-coconut-milk-grilled-chicken/

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/grilled-lime-coconut-chicken-with-coconut-rice-top-pinterest-find/ (Instead of soy sauce I used coconut amino, and obviously I didn't make the rice, though I briefly considered cooking riced cauliflower in coconut milk.)

I always thought sugar was necessary, but so many things have been just as good without any added sweeteners.  I plan to continue leaving them out after we're done and only adding sweeteners to things that truly need them.  One more weekend to go!  Best wishes to you all!

4 hours ago, Elizabeth3645 said:

I'm having major food boredom, too.  I actually bought sardines the other day. Any one have a recipe? Haha

I like sardines. I usually put them in a salad, or on toast with mashed avocado (obviously you can't use bread, but maybe use half of a sweet potato or a huge tomato slice).

M1: Eggs and Greens

M2: Moroccan chicken and carrot salad (W30 book)

M3: Mexican salmon cakes with pineapple salsa (W30 book)

Workout: HIIT training

Dude, 5 days left! I'm definitely thinking I might extend it for a bit...

M1: Breakfast protein salad and handful of nuts

M2: Jamaican Jerk chicken with raspeberry sauce and plantains (W30 book)

M3: Green beans and mushrooms with fried egg

Workout: none, saving my energy for tomorrow

Today's lesson: Do not eat too much kale in such a compressed period of time! I had a big plateful with breakfast and lunch and it did not agree with me! Sorry if that's TMI. 

@diamonds422 the zoodle-tuna casserole was great. Thanks again for the recipe. It really hit the spot and I have leftovers for dinner tonight and probably enough for a partial meal tomorrow. I wish had made a double recipe like you, but I couldn't have anyway since my grocery store was literally out of zucchini. I was forced to buy the more expensive organic and they didn't even have many of those! (I know it's better for us, but... meh.) 

Now that we are counting down the days, has anyone thought about their reintroduction? 

M1: Sweet potato and blueberry hash (this site's recipe under Eggless Breakfasts) with chicken sausage

M2: Protein salad

M3: Shrimp, snow pea, and shiitake stir fry (W30 book)

Workout: spin class, stretch class, 3 mile walk

On 6/16/2017 at 1:20 PM, GayleG said:

Today's lesson: Do not eat too much kale in such a compressed period of time! I had a big plateful with breakfast and lunch and it did not agree with me! Sorry if that's TMI. 

@diamonds422 the zoodle-tuna casserole was great. Thanks again for the recipe. It really hit the spot and I have leftovers for dinner tonight and probably enough for a partial meal tomorrow. I wish had made a double recipe like you, but I couldn't have anyway since my grocery store was literally out of zucchini. I was forced to buy the more expensive organic and they didn't even have many of those! (I know it's better for us, but... meh.) 

Now that we are counting down the days, has anyone thought about their reintroduction? 

Glad you liked it! How funny, my Kroger was totally out of zucchini when I wanted to make it. There were only pre-made zoodles, which were overpriced. So I went to Sprouts and couldn't find any there, just some special Italian squash that looked a lot like zucchini. Peak season is June-August. What's the deal??

Not sure if I'm gonna do reintroduction this time. The only thing I found last time is that dairy makes me produce more mucus. There's really not a delicate way to say that haha. I'll just try to stay Whole30-ish until a meal comes up that's worth it. My husband and I were talking about doing 2-3 Whole30's every year. We'll see!

Today is the last day! Congrats people!! I've just got one more meal to make it through, which will be leftovers of that awesome, awesome slow-cooker Moroccan beef and cauliflower rice from the W30 Cookbook. (I made it even easier by using frozen cauliflower rice and just adding the spices & raisins from the recipe.)

@diamonds422 since you've done a reintroduction previously, maybe you can answer a question. How do you adjust the meal template when using off-plan items? Do you just add to it or replace something?

HI!!  I started my Whole30 after you guys (11 June), so I'm on Day 10 today.  But I'd love to be a part of this.  I'm perusing your posts to get some tips.  Today is my first frustration day.  I tried making more mayo and it was a flop!  I think I need a day of "prep", as I'm not eating lunch until like 2pm each day.  I am currently on summer break as a teacher, which is why I'm doing this now.  But I really want to learn some good habits that I hold onto forever, not just a 30 day experiment.  Hope that makes sense!  Thanks for all your posts.

Connie

4 hours ago, GayleG said:

Today is the last day! Congrats people!! I've just got one more meal to make it through, which will be leftovers of that awesome, awesome slow-cooker Moroccan beef and cauliflower rice from the W30 Cookbook. (I made it even easier by using frozen cauliflower rice and just adding the spices & raisins from the recipe.)

@diamonds422 since you've done a reintroduction previously, maybe you can answer a question. How do you adjust the meal template when using off-plan items? Do you just add to it or replace something?

Yes, congrats to all! We made it!

I don't think it matters if you add or replace. But I do know that it's recommended on the forum that you consume the reintro food multiple times a day. For example, if it's dairy, don't just have milk in your coffee in the morning. Have some cheese with lunch as well. If it's the day for non-gluten grains, have some rice with your lunch (instead of cauli rice?) and some popcorn later. There is also the option of the slow-roll reintroduction, where you keep eating Whole30 until a time comes when you consciously make a decision to go off-plan. 

I didn't find that I was sensitive to anything except the aforementioned dairy stuff. But I do know that when I don't eat Whole30, I don't feel nearly as good as I do right now. So my strategy is to remain Whole30-ish when I'm not on vacation, and to try to do a few Whole30's a year to stay on track. It's June and I've done two so far this year, so I feel pretty good about things. Fingers crossed I keep it up!

22 hours ago, Fishmama said:

HI!!  I started my Whole30 after you guys (11 June), so I'm on Day 10 today.  But I'd love to be a part of this.  I'm perusing your posts to get some tips.  Today is my first frustration day.  I tried making more mayo and it was a flop!  I think I need a day of "prep", as I'm not eating lunch until like 2pm each day.  I am currently on summer break as a teacher, which is why I'm doing this now.  But I really want to learn some good habits that I hold onto forever, not just a 30 day experiment.  Hope that makes sense!  Thanks for all your posts.

Connie

Well, we're done with ours now so this thread is going to be pretty quiet, if not completely dead. I'd recommend finding or starting a thread for people with your start date or close to it!

I had a busy week and decided to disconnect from the web.  Congrats to all that stay on plan until the end and I hope everything goes well with reintroduction foods.

I was glad I was able to stick to plan until the end! my plan now is to remain W30-ish for most of the time. 

So far I have reintroduced:

milk and cheese - didn't notice any difference

Chips, bread, and pasta- I got bloated, tired, heartburn, and I even had an asthma flare up

• Moderators

Congrats to everyone who finished.  For those still around who would like to do reintros and stick together, we ask you make a thread in the Post Whole30 log section.  You can all share it and talk about your re-intros but we ask you don't do it here on the main boards as it gets confusing for new people coming along seeing all the off plan goodies you're testing.

Archived