W30 Day 1 (for the 3rd time in 3 days!! eek!)

samantha

Hi Everyone!

So, for the past 3 days I have been telling myself I would start the W30- that is I have reset my "Whole 30 Daily" for the past 3 days as well. It's so sad. Every night I crave candy (maybe because it's halloween?) and have found myself grazing my pantry and going to the candy store like a monster. I've decided I need to be accountable, so I will use this Forum and this space to do so!

I woke up this morning and had two apple cinnamon egg muffins from the Practical Paleo cookbook and am feeling much better. I do however miss my usual smoothies consisting of almond milk, bannana spinach and nut butter or spinach, lettuce, celery, water 1/3 bannan, 1/3 apple, 1/3 pear.... does anyone have any w30 approved smoothie recipes or suggestions? I have a feeling I will miss these in the morning... and oatmeal!

Thanks so much everyone!

Samantha

Good for you for persevering! I suggest you spend some time reading the guidelines before you really dive in. They will tell you that paleofied baked goods are not compliant, nor are smoothies, even if the individual ingredients are. The idea is that you need to get your body and brain used to ingesting Real Food. Fortunately, Real Food is delicious and there are many, many options, as you will see from participating in this forum.

Hey there! Welcome!

I am sorry to do this to you Samatha, but I am going to give you some tough love here. Muffins are NOT part of the idea of the whole 30. You should not be "paleo-ifying" your foods to meet your previous diet. It is regarded as SWYPO (or sex with your pants on). Also smoothies are also not recomended as a complete meal as your body recognizes liquid and solids differently. Liquids do not fill you the same as real food would. That being said you can have your smoothie along with something else such as a protein and a vegtable.

Some ways to get around the evening munchies - have some fat. Weather it be olives, avocado, coconut butter, etc. When you are craving sugar like that your body is looking for energy. You are giving it the wrong type of energy in the simple form of sugar. Your body (you will find this out yourself) runs more effeciently on fat. So please give it some. I also have found that a naturally sweet flavour tea helps me - such as rooibos.

You can do this. It does get easier.

Thanks Everyone for all the great info!

I do want to clarify that the egg muffins where eggs, cinnamon, chopped apples and a teaspoon of coconut flour to hold it together and tossed in the oven! Do I still have to start over?! What a drag... ;) I fealt seriously ill last night and I think it's from the lack of exercise and abundance of crap I was eating. Hopefully a few more nights of in bed early will do the trick :) I can't wait for this program to start working!

Thanks again,

Samantha

Great advice. I also wanted to ask about sugar cravings. I have intense ones after dinner and find myself eating alot of fruit - ie 2 apples and 2 mandarin oranges.... any suggestions for this? Would this be considered "cheating" too? hmmm....

Thanks again!

Samantha

Second what slw600 said. I had a massive sugar dragon to slay during my Whole30 and during the first couple of weeks, even berries with coconut milk could set off intense cravings that were hard to resist (thankfully, I did). My personal recommendation (I'm not a Whole30 mod or anything, just someone like you who has been there and finished) is to ditch the fruit completely for the first couple of weeks. Try it again later and if you have a craving, stay off it longer. I can do fruit now (in moderation) without a sugar craving, but it took some time.

Archived