A Birthday Present for my Body: My Whole30 Journey, June 3rd- July 2nd

Hi, people I don't know!

My name is Kirsti and I am going to be starting Whole30 on June 3rd. The reason why my log/ forum is called "A Birthday Present for my Body" is because my 25th birthday is on July 3rd. For a few years now, I have had consistent digestive issues. I have seen a doctor and been prescribed laxatives, which I found out can further mess up my colon. I have diagnosed myself with IBS with constipation, although sometimes I have diarrhea. And right now, I don't feel good, which I think is a result of too much yogurt and slightly undercooked pizza. So what better present to give my body than a complete reset for its quarter of a century anniversary!? I am looking forward to seeing how the Whole30 program changes my health and eating habits.

Happy Friday evening to anyone who reads this!

It is still a week and a half from my Whole30 start date, and my body is ready to start already! I have felt sick all day- my digestive system (really my entire abdomen) has felt bloated, swollen and queasy all day. It has been terrible. I have a feeling it's the pizza I ate last night. I cooked it all the way this time, but I think i'm seeing a theme here... anyways, unfortunately, I can't start any earlier because of my budget (aka I make $10/hr and i'm out of food money for the month) so I have to wait, but this gives me time to research some super cool awesome sauce recipes, and also gives me a chance to educate myself on the program and the foods I will be eating (because let's be honest, I know way more about cake than I do about peppers). I am really looking forward to this!

My problem right now is that I don't have a support system and i'm not great with discipline. So, if you're reading this, please be my friend! Now I am off to figure out who in my physical life (no offense, internet people) will be willing to keep me accountable.

Hello Kirsti, you will be your strongest ally for this because you are doing this Whole30 for yourself and you are the one who will be rewarded with so many benefits by the end of it.  And then you'll have this place in the moments when your own inner support and other RL network is not feeling like enough.  

Many of my go to quick and easy meals involved frozen cut green beans.  Sometimes I add in a can of soy-free tuna, sometimes ground beef.  Instant meal and pretty darn budget friendly.  Oh, and sardines are something I never touched until my first Whole30 when I discovered they are also a fantastic pantry item and way tastier than I ever imagined.  FYI: beware that most popular canned tunas contain soy even when it's not directly listed under ingredients.  You need to carefully read the entire can because sometimes it's not in the ingredients but elsewhere the label does give an allergen warning that it contains soy. I have no idea why it's like that.  

Yes! Actually, I started on Thursday. I was really eager to get started because I was tired of being tired and my food making my stomach hurt. The first day was great, but the last three have been difficult. I love fruit but not vegetables so much, so it has been hard for me to eat more vegetables. There are some veggies I just don't like- tomatoes, bell peppers, butternut squash. I just can't choke down veggies for breakfast. Some veggies make me want to gag when I eat them, and that has been a problem. My main issue has been sugar cravings. I miss sugar so much and it's hard to not go and buy ice cream since it's been so hot in Missouri!

Hi everyone! It is day 5 of my whole30 and it has been really difficult so far. Sugar has been the hardest thing for me to withdrawal from. The second day was especially hard- I had dreams of sugary foods when I slept and I couldn't stop thinking about desserts, especially ice cream. On day 5, I am especially irritable and frustrated with the food I have. I have a bunch of butternut squash, which I discovered I don't like. I made egg cups and on the 3rd day I was gagging them down. I'm having trouble enjoying my food and fruit has been my only saving grace, along with Lara bars. I just can't eat veggies for breakfast. Any advice!?

find a veggie you do like.... sometimes I am with you - gets a bit much.   I love cabbage so I make cabbage bowls - gr meat with onions, seasonings and then shredded cabbage, with a broth and coconut "gravy"    had that this morning.  I also eat salads for breakfast because I like salads.   there are some veggies I can't do either.. I tried to be a grown up and make roasted beets......DISGUSTING !!  Tossed all of it in the trash.  No remorse with tossing that in the garbage.

Good luck - have to run back to work but can post some more suggestions later tonight

Thanks for the advice, Tina! This past week, when I went to the grocery store again, I was more practical with what I bought. I think for the first week, I tried to introduce too many new veggies that I didn't know if I would like or not. The hard thing for me is getting rid of things I don't like because when I waste food, I waste money and I have a pretty tight budget so that is a big deal to me. When I went to the store the second time around, I bought some broccoli because I can deal with broccoli if it's prepared a certain way. My mom found this great recipe for roasted broccoli that is whole30 compliant- It's olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic, and I absolutely LOVE garlic. I also bought some canned black olives because I had a revelation one night that one of my favorite things in the world, my dad's garlic olives, are whole30 compliant!!! It's just olive oil and garlic powder. So, this week is going a bit better!

Hi Everyone! So it is day 10 or 11 of my whole30, not sure which, but it is going okay. My greatest hurdle has been my budget- I have been trying to buy packaged things at Aldi and produce/ fresh things at Lucky's market, a local Whole Foods type store. They have great deals on produce, and it's generally fresher and tastier too. I have also been getting specialty things from here like compliant white wine vinegar and bulk stuff with no added sugars. But I am almost at my grocery budget limit and I am not even halfway through! I have been thinking of stopping my Whole30 early because of this. My goal in the beginning was to feel better and figure out what foods have been bothering my colon/ stomach. So far, I definitely feel better. I accidentally bought almonds roasted in peanut oil and that hasn't had any major effect on me. I have also tried parmesan cheese on my zoodles and feel completely fine. So, I have by accident and by choice been reintroducing some small things, and also partially out of rebellion because I like to do my own thing, and make trends my own/ have them fit what I need to be doing for myself. Any thoughts on this?

Archived