Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

1 minute ago, Ginsky said:

I'm winding down from a fun although sweaty evening with friends on aerial silks and lyra.  We got a new double lyra so naturally I'm sure I've overdone it and will pay for it tomorrow and especially Friday.  I think we all will.  I don't care, it was fun!  I had dinner before I went, simple rib eye steak and salad with black olives.  I had some more when I got home and am about to hit the shower before bed.  

Hooray, we've made it through our first week and are charging fiercely into week 2!  Bring it.

That sounds so fun!

Tonight was my daughter's talent show and I was super emotional, not just for her but for all the kids.  Several of them nearly made me cry, they were just so precious and trying so hard and being so inspirational!  Yep, my hormones are definitely messing with me.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jane3797 said:

@ShawnniI just came in from my first time at an Asian store.  They had everything I needed for Ginsky's Thai recipe that I wanted to try...galagal, lime leaves, lemongrass.  I'm unemployed at the moment so find myself knee deep in the Whole30.  I don't say much in the forum but I read everybody's posts from the June 1 start thread.

Wow, very deepest condolences for your recent losses, most particularly Mum.  The world will never be the same without her.  I completely believe we will all be together again in that better place on the other side so keep your chin up.  There is no need to rush there, because now you get to learn how to deal with life without her physical presence.  It is a rite of passage of sorts, although the secret is, she is still with you.

You really do have this program, just keep zeroing in on that bullseye, the winnings are immeasurable.  The whole forum is batting for you and I am here, mostly silently unless you ring my bell.

Jane

Thanks @Jane3797 you're a treasure.  WOW Nice! I do love a great Asian shop, I don't think there is anything like them.  I'm often taken back to the time I spent in Viet Nam when I go although structurally different somethings are still the same. :) <3 

Thanks again for the condolences, 2017 has been…well trying to say the least it was 6 weeks of…chaos to put it nicely.  Three deaths, a "child" (22 year old) with a broken arm, emergency surgery and a cyclone.  I agree though, Mum  will always be around me.  I am now thankful to hear her voice echoing in my ears telling me what's best for me.  She and I had a very difficult journey to where we are now, but I know and understand, she did the best she could just like all of us.  I am pleased she has found peace both mentally and physically.  RIP.

Yes we do have this.  In efforts to stay on board, I made more sweet potato with ghee for myself to take away, got some kale (O.M.YUM!) and made some PESTO WOO HOO!! :P I'll spend the afternoon tomorrow making sure I have something to take with me for the weekend where we will reunite with DH.  

Cheerio! :)

11 hours ago, Ginsky said:

I remembered to toss some black olives into my green beans and ground turkey breakfast this morning before heading out, plus I sauteed them in olive oil rather than steamed them this time.  Fat accomplished.  I probably really needed it because my dog and I got caught in another downpour but at least this time we were a little closer to the car and she was wearing her raincoat.  

@Shawnni, how wonderful that you were being recognized but I am sorry to know there as bad news and stress involved.  I am glad you made it through and hope today is a little better. I know it's hard to increase fat after it's been pounded into us to avoid it.  I still have to keep reminding myself to add a little more fat here and there.    

@jiffylush, I find that I need more magnesium in spite of doing my darnedest to eat a healthy varied diet.  I use Natural Calm brand.  The powdered form does wonders for me when tablets never did.  It really helps me sleep.  I take iodoral as well which super helped me with sleep but not during Whole30 even though I "think" they are compliant.  Better safe than sorry.  I am pretty sure that after taking it consistently, I will be okay with a 30 day break.  

Hi @Ginsky thanks and it's ok. :)  I recognise and acknowledge I need to change my language at least when I talk to myself if not when I talk to others.  Always an evolving process this growing business.  Today has been better, exciting things are happening for me and things that are not what I expected are happening which at first felt disappointing but I realise the universe has given me that experience as a motivator.  

Yes fats seems to evade me sometimes too but I am learning and gratefully so. :) 

I hope your day/evening/night are going really well. :)

@Shawnni Good morning and thank you for the kind words.  I ran across a delicious sounding pesto offered up by one of the health doctors whose specialty is polyphenols.  He says basil is one of the most nutritious plants.  What did you use in yours?  I think in lieu of Parmesan cheese I will use nutritional yeast (if anyone knows that this is non-compliant please tell me).  It has a similar consistency and taste (okay that's a stretch but one can acquire the preference).

WOW you went to Vietnam Nam?  I hope not during the war.  But otherwise what an interesting place that must be.  I worked with a young man from Vietnam Nam for a time and he was the most cheerful character.  I find the older I get the more sense these various experiences make.

@GinskyGetting a produce delivery today (60 days free delivery) and can't wait to make the silky ginger zucchini soup and the Tom Kha Gai this week.  I intend to try the chocolate chili eventually too.  I found valid replacements for tomato sauce during my investigations:  umeboshi and mango for 2 examples.  

"Today is the first day of the rest of our lives" (Charles Dederich)

@Ginsky The aerial silks sound so much fun! I used to work in a studio that was all set up for that, but sadly didn't ever get a chance to have a go!

@Shawnni So sorry to hear about your mum, I lost my mum 10 years ago (the day we finish our whole30s will be a decade to the day), also in the midst of chaos with some other significant losses. It does get better, but it's never the same. Much love to you as you walk through it.

Today has got off to a good start meal wise with scrambled eggs (the best I have made yet), half an avocado, a tomato and a nectarine. Feeling satisfied. Otherwise the morning has left me a little anxious. The day after we finish I go off to be on team at a residential youth camp for a week where I won't be fully in control of what I eat, I hadn't given it a lot of thought  when we were starting out but now that I know how much better I feel already I am so worried about jeopardising the reintroduction phase. I have had some correspondence with the cook this morning and I have said that I will be gluten and dairy free, I am trying not to allow myself to feel awkward about that, but I feel like such a burden! I figure that legumes are easy to pick out (its definitely not the kind of camp that will serve up humous or falafel or things I can't extract the legumes from!) and I should be able to avoid some grains by what I choose for breakfast. My main worry is that I totally sabotage 30 days of hard work and hard-earned improvement in the inflammation I deal with (no joke I used to look 6 months pregnant all the time with inflammation, and in the space of a week I have lost all of that bloat which is such a relief, I've had so many people ask when I'm due, which is a kick in the teeth when we are dealing with infertility, it had started to affect my confidence in social situations). I am sure the cook will work with me to do what she can but the reality is I am not going to have the reintroduction that I should. Anyway... I have 22 days to work it all out!

Good morning all.  Morning outing with my dog was cut short due to rain again but I think we both needed a light morning anyway.  My breakfast was the last portion of the rib eye with mixed green, cucumber, and ranch dressing.  

I'm still feeling the metal curve of the lyra against my pubic bone from flipping over the top of the hoop to do this...topofdoublelyra.thumb.jpg.8af2debf8515c0fc44cf3ed0f20dbd2a.jpg

Yes, it hurt then and it still does now.  The other lyra is either thicker metal or is wrapped better.  I'll get used to it. Glad I already scheduled acupuncture for this morning.  My acupuncturist is familiar with my shenanigans from always being up to something.  

@Georgina2, how wonderful that you were so moved at her show!  I'm sure she was just as proud as you were.  

@Shawnni, I am relieved to see you expressing some positive outlook and hope for things to come.  Also, I love pesto, maybe I'll stop at the store today for a bunch of fresh basil...  mmmmm  so much yum.  

@Jane3797, good luck with your recipes.  I think I've seen pumpkin used in some recipes and also beets used in some tomato free recipes.  I'll be interested to see what you come up with for yours.  Produce delivery is so wonderful.  Mine came yesterday too.  

@HopingtoHeal, I'm sorry you previously didn't a chance to try the silks but maybe you can go sign up for a class to give it a try.  A lot of places offer a free trial class, might be worth calling around.  I have silks at home for daily practice but not a high enough ceiling to practice everything.  

Hi all quick post as I am off to sleep soon.

Good day today really , so happy with my food choices and very proud of myself!!

Pesto was awesome straight out of the book. 

This weekend will be interesting to say the least. 

Busy day tomorrow but food prepped and ready for the day! 

@HopingtoHeal I think your efforts by speaking with the cook as well as having 22 days to prepare is going to keep you right on the reintroduction phase of this program.   And you give me great encouragement by describing your own progress.  Thank you so much.  I have fingers crossed for you (my generic way of saying I'm praying) that your efforts will yield everything you hope for.  With your username, Hoping to Heal, it's an excellent sign.  I just saw a poster yesterday on Pinterest that said, "Once we are able to hope anything is possible".  It was a scripture, maybe in Psalms?

@Shawnni Thank you and have a good rest.  I keep forgetting my day is your night and vice versa, and applies to many of us.

@Ginsky THAT IS SO COOL.  I had no idea what you were talking about!  I first saw these in a music video of Pink and thought, wow, to be in such great shape!  If this program does what I am hoping it will, I will try those also!  I made an awesome ground turkey meatloaf with shredded carrots, mushrooms, a pair of eggs and onion which I have been eating with a large plateful of cauliflower or string beans and a huge thumb-sized dollop of ghee spread and melted around.  I made scrambled eggs with a chicken and green peppers sausage I found that was compliant and a side of spinach, again with ghee.  Occasionally I add a quarter avocado, most of which I lost also.  Next batch I am going to make a large amount of guacamole that should keep better.  Thanks for sharing so freely, I am going to try acupuncture as well as the sleep stuff.  

G'Day All!

My last round i made the pesto from the whole30 book subbing pine nuts and almonds for the walnuts since I'm allergic. It was delicious. The cookbook has a arugula pesto recipe that sounds really good.

I feel horrible today. I felt sick last night too but today is terrible. Could the carb flu be hitting me late? Feel like i got hit by a truck.

2 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

My last round i made the pesto from the whole30 book subbing pine nuts and almonds for the walnuts since I'm allergic. It was delicious. The cookbook has a arugula pesto recipe that sounds really good.

I feel horrible today. I felt sick last night too but today is terrible. Could the carb flu be hitting me late? Feel like i got hit by a truck.

The timeline can vary for everyone, and for every Whole30,  There's no way for me to guess whether it's Whole30 related or something standard and unfortunate going around that  you caught. I hope you get over whatever is making you feel sick soon.  Do your best to follow template recommendations, it really makes a difference.  

On 6/6/2017 at 7:33 PM, Shawnni said:

Can you bake salmon? If so how long? What herbs/spices? 

I bake white fish (grill Salmon)..... I had Halibut last night - pan seared on each side for about 2 minutes and baked at 450 for 7min. Put a herb dressing of ghee, with Chives, thymes, shallots and cilantro.

3 hours ago, Jane3797 said:

@HopingtoHeal I think your efforts by speaking with the cook as well as having 22 days to prepare is going to keep you right on the reintroduction phase of this program.   And you give me great encouragement by describing your own progress.  Thank you so much.  I have fingers crossed for you (my generic way of saying I'm praying) that your efforts will yield everything you hope for.  With your username, Hoping to Heal, it's an excellent sign.  I just saw a poster yesterday on Pinterest that said, "Once we are able to hope anything is possible".  It was a scripture, maybe in Psalms?

Thanks Jane. I heard back from her again and it seems it is infinitely less complicated because she won't need to make me dairy free desserts as I will try and stay as sugar free as possible. Thanks for your encouragement! And thanks for praying! I googled the saying, apparently it was Christopher Reeve! But I think there are biblical principles there! I feel that doing Whole 30 was very God-led for me so I am expectant of healing! Hope you are having a good day!

Hi Heather from Heather! And hello all!

I'm starting my 1st round today (June 8th). I did start my own thread seeking others who are starting today, but since it's kind of a random day (not the 1st of the month or a Monday), I'm not certain if anyone else starting today exists! I noticed this thread and just thought I'd say hello and read through all of your great posts. If ya'll don't mind, I'll hang on the periphery here until other folks join my thread. :-)

I started today because I'm a university professor and yesterday was my last day of teaching for the academic year. I was commuting 1.5 hours one way on 3 forms of public transportation, and so with a total of about 9 - 12 hours a week of commuting, I was really relying on convenience foods (usually at cafes, hence croissants or scones and cappuccinos). Also, it's been a hectic year finishing my PhD, some personal stuff, and starting a new somewhat stressful position, and so I was turning to a lot of comfort foods this past year and I've seen a pretty major decline in my energy and health (and an increase in clothing sizes!) This is all to say that I'm rewarding myself for finishing up the school year with a round of Whole30, since of course, our biggest gifts to ourselves are really not the comfort foods but good health!

I've eaten Paleo many times in the past, and so am pretty accustomed to the meals outlined in Whole30 (and accustomed to the labor of preparing them as compared to convenience foods!). What will be new for me in Whole30 is refraining from making Paleo desserts and breads! It makes a lot of sense why we're to cut them out, and I do look forward to evaluating my need for these comfort foods and hopefully breaking my cravings for them.

I hope everyone's first week has been going well! And thanks for letting me pop in even though I'm starting on a different day!

PS. I did notice someone reference Thrive.com. I've been purchasing many of my healthy staples through them for about 3 years and it's been really affordable and convenient (I price compare and they're by far cheapest for most things). They also do a lot of good work with donating free memberships to families in need and I think with lobbying to change rules surrounding using EBT for buying food online. So they're a good business to support from what I've seen (and worth the annual membership fee - try it out for 30 days free!) 

@Shawnni and Srini ...Lordy Lordy there are so many awesome salmon recipes out there!  I am pan frying salmon tonight after coating generously with:  olive oil, s&p, coriander, cumin, paprika, onion powder, then the recipe calls for serving it topped with: sliced red onion, thin-sliced avocado, juice from 2 limes, olive oil, fresh cilantro...but I am serving mine with Mayo Tzatziki:  1/2 c Whole30 may, 1/4 c. Full-fatted coconut milk (whisk these), 1/4 large English cake, seeded and diced, 2 tbsp freshly choppped parsley, 2 tbsp freshly chopped dill, pinch of Himalayan pink salt, and zest of one lemon.  Mix them all then add the lemon juice of that one lemon slowly, according to taste.

another recipe that has been a hit with my son and me is a broiled salmon:  1 scallion, 2 tbsp soy (now coconut aminos), 1 tbsp rice vinegar (replace for compliance), 1 tbsp honey (simply omit), 1 tsp minced fresh ginger, 1 pound center cut salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces, and 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds....whisk ingredients up to ginger ina bowl.  Place salmon in a ziplock bag with 3 tbsp mixture, refrigerate x 15 minutes or more.  Reserve remaining sauce for topping later.  Preheat broiler, line a small baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.  Place the fillets skin side down, discarding the marinade from the bag.  Broil 4-6 inches from the heat source until cooked through, 6-10 minutes.  Drizzle with reserved sauce and top with toasted sesame seeds.  (To toast sesame seeds, heat ina small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.  Transfer to a bowl and let cool.  

There is also a salmon frittata recipe and just scads of others.  You can do anything to a piece of salmon that you would do to chicken, pretty much, in my opinion.  It is the small things we do, I think, that make a meal particularly enjoyable, like the toasted sesame seeds.

For a veggie there is a recipe that piqued my interest called spinach artichoke quiche, totally compliant using almond meal for the crust.  Mediators is this a compliant food category?

@Heather_r welcome!  You can tag along here for sure.  In fact my start date of 6/1 was nixed because I still suffer adrenal burnout so I must have a 30 grams protein shake in the a.m. within 30 minutes of rising.  So since I went back to that I am not actually counting, for now.  I understand your life of round-the-clock commuting, working, sleeping, repeat so your health has paid the toll.  Good for you doing this for yourself.  

Yes it was me who mentioned Thrive Market, I am actually just starting my 2nd year with them.  Last year I saved over $600 and I expect it to nearly double this year.  A few days ago I placed an order, got a free avocado oil, used a 15% off entire order from RetailMeNot.com, and they owed me a small credit from the previous order.  So I paid $79 and saved $101.  And free shipping on any order over $49.  Great stuff.

Hi all,

I am embarrassed to say this, but I haven't been on a forum before and so don't know if I am posting correctly. I have been reading all the posts from our June 1st group, and I have experimented with posting, but don't know if they are showing up in the right place. Can't find any directions, so I am now guessing that the plus sign top right is the indicator that my post will add to this June 1st thread....

Anyway, I am very happy with my progress into my eighth day and have experienced the 1st day headache, the third day hit-by-a-truck fatigue, and some, uh, digestive healing.  I have spent an obscene amount of money on groceries, but assume I will get smarter about this with time. I've cooked every meal except two lunches at a local Greek restaurant where I can get 100% compliant meals --and it is so nice for some to cook for ME : ) I am finding I have steadier energy throughout the day, whereas before I was exhausted by 7 pm.  My  pants are much looser : )

Best wishes to all--I am following your posts, even if you don't see mine~I hope this one works.

Hi Jane3797! 

Thanks for your kind welcome!

I wish you the best with your adrenal issues; I too have suffered from adrenal burnout and know what a toll it takes - good for you for taking care of yourself!

And yes, Thrive has been great! I hadn't heard about RetailMeNot - I'll have to check that out! I usually wait until Thrive sends me the email with 10% or 15% off codes, but sometimes it means waiting longer than I'd like or I receive them on days I'm too busy to purchase... so will check out RetailMeNot - thanks! 

@LesTodd yes your post worked perfectly and you're in the right place!  Welcome and congrats for doing this and doing it well! Say a few words here and there so we can support your efforts and help you stay enthusiastic!

HI, @Heather_r, welcome to your day 1.  Happy to have you joining in even if you do find others that started today or nearer to it.  We're all here for you and each other on good days and bad, even on the neutral days where you just want to share with someone that you're still here.  I'm going to have to check out this Thrive market now that I see what you and @Jane3797 have to say about it!

I had a pretty mellow day once I got back from acupuncture and the market.  I did steamed little neck clams and zucchini and yellow squash in a tomato and fresh basil sauce.  I added coconut milk and black olives to the sauce rather than rely on the ghee in the clam sauce to give me my fat for the meal.  

I had another kitchen detour. I got up to make crab and spinach and ended up deciding to cook up my remaining ground turkey and added it and some shitake mushrooms to some baby bok choy in a ginger garlic brown sauce I threw together.  And since I was of the mind to do a little fridge clearing, I didn't bother adding fat to my actual dinner and just spoon fed myself what was left of my mayo as I cooked so I could wash the jar and make a fresh batch tomorrow-ish.  

I'm glad I already wrote in a previous post what I had for breakfast because I couldn't remember and needed to put it in my Whole30 log.  hahaha  (This is actually one of the reasons I usually post what I ate right after I ate it, thank goodness I didn't also forget what I had for lunch or I'd be staring into my fridge hoping to figure out what's missing.)

I'm going to try to go to bed early tonight.  I'm tired and my cat has no respect for that in the morning.  

Be well everyone!  

Thanks, @Ginsky

Your meals today sound delicious and inspiring!

Still looking for an acupuncturist in my new area, but have found a sliding-scale Yoga studio (such a blessing in the high-costing Bay Area). I'm going to go to the Restorative Yoga class this evening, very much looking forward! :-)

By the way, when I was at the checkout at the organic market, I noticed some kind of treat on display and almost casually reached for it.  I usually ignore those things but this time my brain was already streaming a movie of me opening the box and shoving the contents into my face.  Luckily, this was all imaginary and I stayed away from whatever the thing was.  I don't even know what it was, probably something I'm deadly allergic to for that matter.  

2 minutes ago, Heather_r said:

Thanks, @Ginsky

Your meals today sound delicious and inspiring!

Still looking for an acupuncturist in my new area, but have found a sliding-scale Yoga studio (such a blessing in the high-costing Bay Area). I'm going to go to the Restorative Yoga class this evening, very much looking forward! :-)

I was so happy to find community acupuncture in my area because all the private ones are so expensive, way more expensive than my private acupuncturist where I used to live.  I hope you find something soon.  I tell people that I'm held together with acupuncture needles.  

@Ginsky

I love community acupuncture! I went religiously to a community acupuncture place in Oakland, but alas, there aren't any in San Jose, where I now live. I'm in the market for a used car right now, and will drive to the nearest one as soon thereafter as possible! 

Archived