Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

On 6/7/2017 at 0:21 PM, angiej936 said:

I miss Sprouts!  We don't have one up in our area but when we lived in SoCal it was a great place to go.  It's good to see these stores are carrying compliant bacon.  I'm not obsessed with bacon, but when a recipe calls for it, I like to include it.  Thanks!  And good luck with your baseball game.  Maybe find some carbonated water or something.  That helps me feel like I'm having a little more of an indulgence (especially since there are so many carbonated water alcoholic beverages now!) - if it's the drinks you're concerned about.

Sorry that you don't have Sprouts :-(.   I assume you don't have Whole Foods either.  Baseball game was a blast.  They switched out a coke for a bottled water for me and I drank it through the game.  I don't drink, so this part of the cleanse is a breeze.  I had a great time and the hometown Rockies won.  

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I poached salmon tonight with balsamic vinegar. It was perfect.  am going to make my favorite chicken vegetable soup this weekend.  It's hearty and compliant. Just need to make my mirepoix with ghee and it's a winner.  So what if it's 90 degrees.  Before we know it we'll be 33% done. 

21 hours ago, HopingtoHeal said:

@Ginsky The aerial silks sound so much fun! I used to work in a studio that was all set up for that, but sadly didn't ever get a chance to have a go!

@Shawnni So sorry to hear about your mum, I lost my mum 10 years ago (the day we finish our whole30s will be a decade to the day), also in the midst of chaos with some other significant losses. It does get better, but it's never the same. Much love to you as you walk through it.

Today has got off to a good start meal wise with scrambled eggs (the best I have made yet), half an avocado, a tomato and a nectarine. Feeling satisfied. Otherwise the morning has left me a little anxious. The day after we finish I go off to be on team at a residential youth camp for a week where I won't be fully in control of what I eat, I hadn't given it a lot of thought  when we were starting out but now that I know how much better I feel already I am so worried about jeopardising the reintroduction phase. I have had some correspondence with the cook this morning and I have said that I will be gluten and dairy free, I am trying not to allow myself to feel awkward about that, but I feel like such a burden! I figure that legumes are easy to pick out (its definitely not the kind of camp that will serve up humous or falafel or things I can't extract the legumes from!) and I should be able to avoid some grains by what I choose for breakfast. My main worry is that I totally sabotage 30 days of hard work and hard-earned improvement in the inflammation I deal with (no joke I used to look 6 months pregnant all the time with inflammation, and in the space of a week I have lost all of that bloat which is such a relief, I've had so many people ask when I'm due, which is a kick in the teeth when we are dealing with infertility, it had started to affect my confidence in social situations). I am sure the cook will work with me to do what she can but the reality is I am not going to have the reintroduction that I should. Anyway... I have 22 days to work it all out!

Hey, @HopingtoHeal I can't remember if I replied to this last night.  I'm sorry to hear about your Mum somedays' I'm OK and some days it's like I lost a psychological appendage. It seems like a real growing period for me.  <3 

16 hours ago,  Jane3797 said: 

@HopingtoHeal I think your efforts by speaking with the cook as well as having 22 days to prepare is going to keep you right on the reintroduction phase of this program.   And you give me great encouragement by describing your own progress.  Thank you so much.  I have fingers crossed for you (my generic way of saying I'm praying) that your efforts will yield everything you hope for.  With your username, Hoping to Heal, it's an excellent sign.  I just saw a poster yesterday on Pinterest that said, "Once we are able to hope anything is possible".  It was a scripture, maybe in Psalms?

@Shawnni Thank you and have a good rest.  I keep forgetting my day is your night and vice versa, and applies to many of us.

@Ginsky THAT IS SO COOL.  I had no idea what you were talking about!  I first saw these in a music video of Pink and thought, wow, to be in such great shape!  If this program does what I am hoping it will, I will try those also!  I made an awesome ground turkey meatloaf with shredded carrots, mushrooms, a pair of eggs and onion which I have been eating with a large plateful of cauliflower or string beans and a huge thumb-sized dollop of ghee spread and melted around.  I made scrambled eggs with a chicken and green peppers sausage I found that was compliant and a side of spinach, again with ghee.  Occasionally I add a quarter avocado, most of which I lost also.  Next batch I am going to make a large amount of guacamole that should keep better.  Thanks for sharing so freely, I am going to try acupuncture as well as the sleep stuff.  

G'Day All!

Thanks, @Jane3797 .  Yes, it's like that Days/Nights Winters/Summers...  It can be mind boggling sometimes.    I'm also a day ahead and then there's the language barrier.  Yes Aussies speak English but they speak Aussie slang. It's  Laugh! :P

12 hours ago,  Srini said: 

I bake white fish (grill Salmon)..... I had Halibut last night - pan seared on each side for about 2 minutes and baked at 450 for 7min. Put a herb dressing of ghee, with Chives, thymes, shallots and cilantro.

@SriniMan, That's making my mouth water just thinking about it!  Thanks for the great ideas, times and temperatures as well. Awesome!   I do wonder if we have halibut here though.  I think a lot of the shops serve Flake but I won't be eating at those shops for a while.  I think Salmon is on the agenda this weekend. :)

16 hours ago,  Georgina2 said: 

My last round i made the pesto from the whole30 book subbing pine nuts and almonds for the walnuts since I'm allergic. It was delicious. The cookbook has a arugula pesto recipe that sounds really good.

I feel horrible today. I felt sick last night too but today is terrible. Could the carb flu be hitting me late? Feel like i got hit by a truck.

Oh that's no good @Georgina2.  I do hate being sick.  I'm wondering if that's what's wrong with me on Day 5 or 6... Hmmmm.  

Your pesto recipe sounds good too. I do love arugula and walnuts.  

Let us know how you are going tomorrow. <3

11 hours ago, Heather_r said:

Hi Heather from Heather! And hello all!

I'm starting my 1st round today (June 8th). I did start my own thread seeking others who are starting today, but since it's kind of a random day (not the 1st of the month or a Monday), I'm not certain if anyone else starting today exists! I noticed this thread and just thought I'd say hello and read through all of your great posts. If ya'll don't mind, I'll hang on the periphery here until other folks join my thread. :-)

I started today because I'm a university professor and yesterday was my last day of teaching for the academic year. I was commuting 1.5 hours one way on 3 forms of public transportation, and so with a total of about 9 - 12 hours a week of commuting, I was really relying on convenience foods (usually at cafes, hence croissants or scones and cappuccinos). Also, it's been a hectic year finishing my PhD, some personal stuff, and starting a new somewhat stressful position, and so I was turning to a lot of comfort foods this past year and I've seen a pretty major decline in my energy and health (and an increase in clothing sizes!) This is all to say that I'm rewarding myself for finishing up the school year with a round of Whole30, since of course, our biggest gifts to ourselves are really not the comfort foods but good health!

I've eaten Paleo many times in the past, and so am pretty accustomed to the meals outlined in Whole30 (and accustomed to the labor of preparing them as compared to convenience foods!). What will be new for me in Whole30 is refraining from making Paleo desserts and breads! It makes a lot of sense why we're to cut them out, and I do look forward to evaluating my need for these comfort foods and hopefully breaking my cravings for them.

I hope everyone's first week has been going well! And thanks for letting me pop in even though I'm starting on a different day!

PS. I did notice someone reference Thrive.com. I've been purchasing many of my healthy staples through them for about 3 years and it's been really affordable and convenient (I price compare and they're by far cheapest for most things). They also do a lot of good work with donating free memberships to families in need and I think with lobbying to change rules surrounding using EBT for buying food online. So they're a good business to support from what I've seen (and worth the annual membership fee - try it out for 30 days free!) 

Hey there @Heather_r Yes, welcome! :)   Where are you from?  I understand the comfort foods thing.  I didn't know how reliant I was on food to make me feel better.  It's amazing!  Great reward though! :) Wow Thrive.com sounds like an intersting place!  Hope your first week is a good one!

10 hours ago, LesTodd said:

Hi all,

I am embarrassed to say this, but I haven't been on a forum before and so don't know if I am posting correctly. I have been reading all the posts from our June 1st group, and I have experimented with posting, but don't know if they are showing up in the right place. Can't find any directions, so I am now guessing that the plus sign top right is the indicator that my post will add to this June 1st thread....

Anyway, I am very happy with my progress into my eighth day and have experienced the 1st day headache, the third day hit-by-a-truck fatigue, and some, uh, digestive healing.  I have spent an obscene amount of money on groceries, but assume I will get smarter about this with time. I've cooked every meal except two lunches at a local Greek restaurant where I can get 100% compliant meals --and it is so nice for some to cook for ME : ) I am finding I have steadier energy throughout the day, whereas before I was exhausted by 7 pm.  My  pants are much looser : )

Best wishes to all--I am following your posts, even if you don't see mine~I hope this one works.

7 hours ago, Ginsky said:

By the way, when I was at the checkout at the organic market, I noticed some kind of treat on display and almost casually reached for it.  I usually ignore those things but this time my brain was already streaming a movie of me opening the box and shoving the contents into my face.  Luckily, this was all imaginary and I stayed away from whatever the thing was.  I don't even know what it was, probably something I'm deadly allergic to for that matter.  

Guess what I just found????  MULTIQUOTE :o Sighs...  I'll eventually get there!   So see @LesTodd absolutely No need for you to be embarrassed!!!  After 9 days I'm still learning things!!! LOL  

Very well done @Ginsky.  I like what you said, "my brain was already streaming a movie of me opening the box and shoving the contents into my face." YES!!!  This is me!  I do the same thing.  Movie in my brain.  I like this analogy and so I can recognise it for what it is and change it! :) Thanks :)

Ok So  My day 9.

I'm feeling absolutely brilliant, the puffiness has gone from my body a lot, face, stomach, feet.  I didn't know it was even there, but in selfies, I took before and then yesterday I could see a differents.  (Yes, I still take selfies :P

I'm pleased to say I stayed on track with all of my foods today and I didn't crave, even when I was in a meeting where the foods to be had were chocolates and little savoury biscuits or Shapes as we call them here. 

I'm wearing jeans that last month I refused to wear because of the slightly larger than socially acceptable "muffin top" display.  I have now moved to the socially acceptable "crumpet top" :P LOL 

My challenge at the moment is fear based.  

I go to the beach house (read fish and chips and lazy house) and I need to change my perception of it.  I'm taking prepped foods, buying more W30 foods on the way down there and making arrangements with a friend (who will be supportive) to meet up and only do coffee with me. :)  So Day 10 and 11... I can do this, I can do this, I CAN do this.  Taking my journal to journal my thoughts and feelings and track and plan.  A bit of micro-managing I guess but if it helps. 

I'll hope to log in when I'm gone but with little to no reception it might be Day 12 before I do.  Have a great weekend. <3

38 minutes ago, Shawnni said:

Hey, @HopingtoHeal I can't remember if I replied to this last night.  I'm sorry to hear about your Mum somedays' I'm OK and some days it's like I lost a psychological appendage. It seems like a real growing period for me.  <3 

Definitely a season for growing, and that is a great mindset. Sounds familiar, if I have learned anything about grief is that it is unpredictable and the best thing to do is just go with the flow and when the hard days come just to let them run their course.

Sounds like you are seeing great progress with Whole 30! I hope that your time away is refreshing and that sticking on plan turns out to be easier than anticipated! Have a great time!

I've woken up this morning with a headache :( I could feel it coming on when I went to bed last night and I am fairly sure it's coming from the muscles in my shoulders and neck and is probably because I didn't stretch off thoroughly after Body Attack last night. (The instructor, who is brilliant, changed the cool down routine and I am fairly sure there was nothing upper body about it).

Day 8 was a really good one for me and I thoroughly enjoyed all of my meals. I made butternut squash soup (from the whole 30 book) which I added some curry powder to and served with spinach on top and it was so satisfying! I have two more portion of it too, one for work lunch tomorrow and one in the freezer, and last night my husband made burgers from turkey mince, onion and garlic which were delicious! I had mine in a sort of lettuce wrap with some whole 30 mayo - never in a million years would I have thought I would enjoy a bunless burger but I am a total convert! We had a big salad and sweet potato wedges alongside too. There was an extra wee bit of mixture so I have a wee burger to have for lunch today too, and I will probably bulk it out with a hard boiled egg and lots of salad. 

I think I am going to try and go to a yoga class this evening, normally I like Body Balance on a Friday morning but our car is in the garage getting the brakes checked today so I can't get to my gym, but I should have the car back on time to do 5pm yoga, hopefully that will help my sore shoulders/head. Other than that I have some planning to do for classes tomorrow, will wander down to our greengrocers for some more avocados and some fruit and I will most likely spend a lot of time watching the fall out of the General Election on tv, I actually feel like I've sat up all night watching the results come in! 

Hope everyone has a great Day 9!

Good afternoon to all.  Morning exercise was fun and not interrupted by rain so that was a bonus.  I'm headachey today but it's not keeping me down. My breakfast was simple eggs over easy with a cucumbers and spinach in "dump ranch dressing."  I was making mayo anyway so figured I'd try this dump ranch everyone keeps mentioning.  I used half chives and half parsley for the herbs, totally love it!    And bonus is that I didn't have to clean the immersion blender after the mayo, just put it right into the other jar to complete the dump ranch.  Two birds with one stone!  Now if I can just manage to run out of both at the same time from now on...

@HopingtoHeal,  I hope your headache is gone.  Your soup and burger sound great, I can almost taste that soup.

@Shawnni, what a great NSV!  And thanks, I have that book, keep forgetting what recipes are in it.  

@Lizzard, I don't worry about any imaginary rules about hot soup in the summertime either.  It sounds wonderful and worthy of enjoyment year-long.  

@Heather_r, good luck with your car hunt, I hope you find something good, reliable, affordable.  I got mine last year from a car rental agency, love it.  

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Yes, the last day that you consumed HFCS via these pickles or anything else would be day 0 with the following HFCS-free and fully compliant day being day 1.

HI all.  I've been keeping up with you but not posting as had to view on my phone which wouldn't allow me to 'like' :(

All things are well.  I'm sometimes having something a little extra outside the 3 meals when I've expended loads of energy.  Day 9 nearly under my belt with a turkey hash prepared and ready to heat up. 

@Shawni So sorry to hear about your bumpy time, but inspired by you sticking to the whole30.  Have a great time by the beath

@Heather_r  Good to have you with us.

@grandma karen Sorry to hear this happened to you.  If you hate the idea of day 1 you could just decide to call your journey a 'whole38' ;)

@Ginsky What you've been doing with your body is mind-boggling.  Even being that high up would make me nervous, never mind the acrobatics.

@Shawnni and @Pippin1 Thanks for your kind welcome!

I just realized my location isn't listed in my profile yet - gotta put that in there! I currently live in San Jose, CA after 7 years living in Oakland, CA (1 hour north of here). Been here for 3 months now, and still gaining my bearings. There's a lot of great bars and restaurants around here (which admittedly and thankfully I got my fill of, so as to not feel I'm missing out while doing Whole30), and have also located the Farmer's Markets and yoga classes nearby, so those will be my go to's for sure.

And thanks for your well wishes regarding finding a car, @Ginsky ! I have heard about buying from rental agencies - I should look into that!

16 hours ago, Lizzard said:

Sorry that you don't have Sprouts :-(.   I assume you don't have Whole Foods either.  Baseball game was a blast.  They switched out a coke for a bottled water for me and I drank it through the game.  I don't drink, so this part of the cleanse is a breeze.  I had a great time and the hometown Rockies won.  

Oh yes, we have a lot of good stores:  Whole Foods, PCC, Trader Joe's, a lot of farmer's markets, and even some of our grocery stores are having a lot of better options.  I think Sprouts is really the only thing missing, although I feel like it's between Trader Joe's and PCC so it's okay.  And when I went to check for compliant bacon, I was at my local grocery store.  Need to go back to PCC.  I really don't like going to multiple stores for different items but I also don't like to spend a lot of money on groceries either.  I can't have it all and the Whole30 forces me to go to multiple stores if I want to stick to a budget, and the plan.

And congrats on your success at the game.  Sounds like a fun time.

I made the stew of all stews last night ....... getting hungry thinking about it. Onions, garlic, peppers (yellow and red), potatoes, okra, carrots, snap peas, green beans and Chicken. Cooked in avocado oil. Cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper and a little salt. Avocado on the side. 

Ate a sensible spinach salad with Avocado, veggies and tuna with Olive oil as dressing. No cravings, no hunger. I am liking this. My gut looks less gross in my polo shirt and I am ready to go hang out with my Son and walk 6-10 miles. High School is doing a relay for life, to raise money for cancer. Walking/running in relay - 3pm to midnight.

Lest I look like a big eater - a clarification. The stew was last night and the salad was for lunch. Breakfast is standard now - omelette with 4-5 different veggies. Cafeteria tells me they now have REAL olive oil and are cooking the omelette in it.

i generally would add a spoonful of brown rice into any stews i ate before starting whole30. I don't miss it anymore. 

11 hours ago, HopingtoHeal said:

I've woken up this morning with a headache :( I could feel it coming on when I went to bed last night and I am fairly sure it's coming from the muscles in my shoulders and neck and is probably because I didn't stretch off thoroughly after Body Attack last night. (The instructor, who is brilliant, changed the cool down routine and I am fairly sure there was nothing upper body about it).

Day 8 was a really good one for me and I thoroughly enjoyed all of my meals. I made butternut squash soup (from the whole 30 book) which I added some curry powder to and served with spinach on top and it was so satisfying! I have two more portion of it too, one for work lunch tomorrow and one in the freezer, and last night my husband made burgers from turkey mince, onion and garlic which were delicious! I had mine in a sort of lettuce wrap with some whole 30 mayo - never in a million years would I have thought I would enjoy a bunless burger but I am a total convert! We had a big salad and sweet potato wedges alongside too. There was an extra wee bit of mixture so I have a wee burger to have for lunch today too, and I will probably bulk it out with a hard boiled egg and lots of salad. 

I think I am going to try and go to a yoga class this evening, normally I like Body Balance on a Friday morning but our car is in the garage getting the brakes checked today so I can't get to my gym, but I should have the car back on time to do 5pm yoga, hopefully that will help my sore shoulders/head. Other than that I have some planning to do for classes tomorrow, will wander down to our greengrocers for some more avocados and some fruit and I will most likely spend a lot of time watching the fall out of the General Election on tv, I actually feel like I've sat up all night watching the results come in! 

Hope everyone has a great Day 9!

Awesome post .... thanks for sharing. That is some good eating and workout schedule. I am inspired to start lifting weights again. 

Theresa Moron ... err May, should do Whole30 to recover from her bubu !

So bummed... was doing great until this morning. At tennis match and finished my water. Without thinking reached into cooler and grabbed a Gatorade and chugged half the bottle before I realized what I had done.... proceeded to lose the match too!! Oh well, knocked down but not knocked out. back to day 1 for me! Best of luck to everyone else... keep going!!!

My day is winding down.  I had king crab leg with yellow squash and black olives in a ghee and lemon sauce with basil for lunch before work.  Work is done and so is dinner.

I had a quick mahi mahi with lemon and a mango pineapple salsa, chomped down on celery sticks in dump ranch as I prepped.  

I think my headache is finally done.  yay!  I'm so tired now, I really hope I wrap up all my odds and ends and get myself in bed and sleeping early tonight.  

@Cathy_J, I am so sorry to hear of your mishap.  It's amazing how many things we eat and drink without even thinking about it.  

@Srini, your stew sounds wonderful!  That's so great that you've gotten into the breakfast habit.  How's it feeling?  

25 minutes ago, Ginsky said:

My day is winding down.  I had king crab leg with yellow squash and black olives in a ghee and lemon sauce with basil for lunch before work.  Work is done and so is dinner.

I had a quick mahi mahi with lemon and a mango pineapple salsa, chomped down on celery sticks in dump ranch as I prepped.  

I think my headache is finally done.  yay!  I'm so tired now, I really hope I wrap up all my odds and ends and get myself in bed and sleeping early tonight.  

@Cathy_J, I am so sorry to hear of your mishap.  It's amazing how many things we eat and drink without even thinking about it.  

@Srini, your stew sounds wonderful!  That's so great that you've gotten into the breakfast habit.  How's it feeling?  

Feels fabulous.... i am never hungry. 

So, it turns out the last day I consumed HFCS was Wednesday so I started over again yesterday since I was fully compliant and was again today.  I'm using Real plans to plan my meals and being extra careful to read all my labels.  Having Roasted Potatoes with Sausage and Peppers for dinner.  I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes and am going to a Diabetes Prevention Program at the local YMCA.  One of the things I have to do is weigh in weekly.  Not doing so is not an option and we paid a pretty penny for the class before I decided to do Whole30.  I am also limited to 33 grams of fat a day.  I am tracking my food because that is what I have been told to do.  Is this a deal breaker, as the saying goes? 

The program is a year long.  Other than that I am being fully compliant with the rules.  So far so good except for the mishap with the pickles.

Archived