Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

Day 19 I can't believe I'm this far in. Feeling much better @Jane3797 I think it was bananas. I've had three over the last three days, but two days with nuts and today was banana only and he jitters came on again. But they didn't last nearly as long as the last two days. Maybe this is was @SugarcubeOD warned me about. 

My meals have been awesome as of late, last night was a chicken breast and roasted cauliflower and broccoli. I also made some of the avocado dressing out of the It Started with Food Book.  

This is morning was a veg omelette with 1/2 and avo, and lunch was a homemade beef stew. Pumpkin thickens up soup nicely! 

I'm chefing tint for the family and I have no plan. I'm not sure what I will make them...maybe a beef stroganoff and I'll eat left over chicken and veg. 

What at are you all having for dinner?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dinner yesterday was baked chicken legs and a vegetable dish where I sauted onions, red peppers, mushrooms and green beans. Added some salt and pepper.

I saved some of the green bean dish for lunch today, and had that with cabbage salad (like a cole slaw) and griled chicken breast.

Tonight's plan is almond crusted chicken breast (coat the chicken in potatos starch, then dip in egg and then ground almonds), and fried.

together with sweet potato fries (sweet potatoes cut in the shape of fries , drizzled with olive oil and baked) and avocado salad (cubed avocados, tomatoes and a bit of sliced purple onion with some lemon juice and salt)

Tomorrow's plan is stew-  turkey (cubed), potatoes, carrots with tomato sauce and spices. roast broccoli on the side.

Wednesday will be sheperd's pie  and grilled zuchini 

That's all I have planned so far :)

13 hours ago, Ginsky said:

What do you mean by internal shakes?  Is that in reference to digestive upset or do you actually feel like your body is vibrating out of sync?  

Hi Ginsky, It's like my body is vibrating out of sync. It's almost painful but mostly just extremely annoying which makes me a bit cranky. I've discovered the that both bananas do the same thing so I've taken them both off my list. 

3 hours ago, Kaylee1 said:

Dinner yesterday was baked chicken legs and a vegetable dish where I sauted onions, red peppers, mushrooms and green beans. Added some salt and pepper.

I saved some of the green bean dish for lunch today, and had that with cabbage salad (like a cole slaw) and griled chicken breast.

Tonight's plan is almond crusted chicken breast (coat the chicken in potatos starch, then dip in egg and then ground almonds), and fried.

together with sweet potato fries (sweet potatoes cut in the shape of fries , drizzled with olive oil and baked) and avocado salad (cubed avocados, tomatoes and a bit of sliced purple onion with some lemon juice and salt)

Tomorrow's plan is stew-  turkey (cubed), potatoes, carrots with tomato sauce and spices. roast broccoli on the side.

Wednesday will be sheperd's pie  and grilled zuchini 

That's all I have planned so far :)

Man that sounds yum! Love your suggestions!! 

@HopingtoHeal thanks for the meal plan doc.  I've now got meatballs with tom sauce and getti on the radar.  The hash sounded tempting too.  It's boiling in Sussex at the moment, so lots of salad on the menu.  How's the temperature in Scotland.

@Shawni I hope the shakes settle down.  That's one bad banana.

@Kaylee1 - your eating plan sounds fabulous.  Great tip for the almond coated chicken.

I'm doing really well with the food at the moment.  Sleep is a bit patchy but I have a decision to make about whether to go into a new business venture, so that's enough to keep anyone up at night. 

Hottest day of the year and I've decided to roast a chicken and bake a tomato sauce.  I would change the plan but that chicken will be knocking on the fridge door to get out if I leave it there another day. 

Have a great day 19 everyone.

Day 19.  Great weekend.  The birthday cake was a hit according to those that ate it.  Stopping myself from licking my fingers while baking was the hardest part -  not that I wanted to, but more out of habit.  I enjoyed my open faced hamburger along with a few strawberries for dessert.  Still feeling good and my pants felt even better this morning.  I'll soon be able to get back in to all my work pants (I've been wearing only 4 pairs for a while now because they were the only ones I could get by with).

10 hours ago, Pippin1 said:

Well done for keeping fingers out of your mouth.  A good practice :)

I agree. Today I almost had a slip up. My son is home for a couple of days and I was making him eggs with sausage. I decided to sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over it. I always pop sone in my mouth when I do this. I got a few inches away from my mouth before I caught myself. Yikes!

12 hours ago, Lizzard said:

Day 19.  Great weekend.  The birthday cake was a hit according to those that ate it.  Stopping myself from licking my fingers while baking was the hardest part -  not that I wanted to, but more out of habit.  I enjoyed my open faced hamburger along with a few strawberries for dessert.  Still feeling good and my pants felt even better this morning.  I'll soon be able to get back in to all my work pants (I've been wearing only 4 pairs for a while now because they were the only ones I could get by with).

Fitting into clothes that were too tight before is the best. Congratulations!

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Fiddi said:

I agree. Today I almost had a slip up. My son is home for a couple of days and I was making him eggs with sausage. I decided to sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over it. I always pop sone in my mouth when I do this. I got a few inches away from my mouth before I caught myself. Yikes!

Good catch!  Changing habits is haaaard!  Kudos for that one!

Well, Day 20 is here and nearly done  (I'm continuing with my idea of it being 20 days and will add 13 extra at the end to cover coconut amino gate).

How's everyone doing?  I'm eating well and really enjoying my meals - and enjoying stopping after my meals.  Breakfast today was on the run so a bit light in terms of the template.  Leftover tomato sauce and roasted cauli, with half a tin of tuna and bite of raw carrot.  Lunch, large egg salad with homemade mayo and peaches.  Dinner coming up salmon and stir fry veg with cauliflower rice and a bit of coconut oil.  Probably some seasonal fruit salad after.  No starch today but it's a one off.

Am I the only one that doesn't like Ghee?  It just smells and tastes rancid to me.  Yet when I've eaten it in Indian restaurant dishes in the past, I've not had the same experience.

Can I ask a techy question?  I've tried on several occasions to upload a photo, or an image from the internet and am always told it is too large.  Can anyone help?

at my daughter's kindergarten they decided to have a trip with the parents, to celebrate the end of the year. So today we went to a really nice farm, where they also had some small rides for the kiddos.

They gave out breakfast- bagels and ice coffee (for the parents). It was ice cold (and boiling hot outside) and so tempting. But then the temptation passed, and looking back, I don't even know why I would want to eat that junk!

So I had a vegetable frittata for breakfast, a fruit while on the trip at the farm.

For lunch I had tuna (with avocado), some salad and a big bowl of vegetable soup. I turned on the air conditioner for that meal, but it was worth it! I was really full and satisfied at the end of it.

2 hours ago, Pippin1 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like Ghee?  It just smells and tastes rancid to me.  Yet when I've eaten it in Indian restaurant dishes in the past, I've not had the same experience.

Can I ask a techy question?  I've tried on several occasions to upload a photo, or an image from the internet and am always told it is too large.  Can anyone help?

Try a different brand of ghee, or better yet, make your own.  I just use it to cook with.

As for the photos, there are several options for you.

1)  If you are using an IPhone, first email the photo to yourself and it will ask what size you want it emailed (and it should tell you the size of each option).  Just be sure the selection is under 9.5 MB.  Then use that to upload.

2)  If you have photo editing software, open the file there and choose the resize option.  Select to keep the aspect ratio.  Try reducing by 50% - that should do it unless your photos are 20 MB.  Do a "save as" to keep the original plus the new sized picture.

3)  Select a lower resolution on your camera/phone so when you snap the picture, it isn't as large.

Hope this helps!

@Pippin1 Yes, roasting in Glasgow too! A bit cooler tonight which I am very thankful for, all day in an airless office today was not enjoyable! I don't think you are alone with the ghee. To begin with I really struggled with the smell but I love the taste it brings to my favourite breakfast omelette and potatoes roast deliciously in it too. I persevered a bit despite my aversion to the smell because coconut oil really doesn't agree with me and I have to say I no longer have a strong reaction to opening the tin like I used to! I wonder if perhaps we are using the same brand, both being in the UK. Ours is the East End one which is the only brand they had in Asda. Is that what you've been using?

Can you believe it is day 20 already? I read back through some of my early blog posts last night (i've been blogging every day) and it is amazing to see the way my mindset has grown and changed in the 20 days and how my meals have evolved. I just love this journey!

We're almost there!! Hard to believe this journey is almost over. I can't believe how much my life has changed in the past 20 days. Not just food wise either. For the first time in as long as I can remember I have energy. I'm exercising daily, I'm constantly on the go, Im on a normal schedule, I'm sleeping well and waking up feeling rested. 

Had some great food this week. Made the most amazing pulled pork. If you search Smashed Plantain Pulled Pork Sliders on Pinterest you'll find it. Also had Chili Lime Taco Fish Bowls with Citrus Crema (also courtesy of Pinterest). The Crema is out.of.this.world. delicious.  Also made a tasty gazpacho, one of my all time favorite summer dishes and I found a recipe for Ranch that doesnt use coconut milk (didnt care for the coconut milk recipe). First I made my own almond milk then added it to homemade mayo, red wine vinegar, and a bunch of spices and I swear it tastes like totally authentic ranch.

On 6/19/2017 at 0:02 AM, Shawnni said:

Day 19 I can't believe I'm this far in. Feeling much better @Jane3797 I think it was bananas. I've had three over the last three days, but two days with nuts and today was banana only and he jitters came on again. But they didn't last nearly as long as the last two days. Maybe this is was @SugarcubeOD warned me about. 

My meals have been awesome as of late, last night was a chicken breast and roasted cauliflower and broccoli. I also made some of the avocado dressing out of the It Started with Food Book.  

This is morning was a veg omelette with 1/2 and avo, and lunch was a homemade beef stew. Pumpkin thickens up soup nicely! 

it's amazing how much we learn about cooking and appreciating flavors while doing a Whole30.  

On 6/19/2017 at 9:36 AM, Shawnni said:

Hi Ginsky, It's like my body is vibrating out of sync. It's almost painful but mostly just extremely annoying which makes me a bit cranky. I've discovered the that both bananas do the same thing so I've taken them both off my list. 

That sounds awful yet great that you've been able to identify it so you can avoid those reactions in the future.  I'm glad it didn't get too severe before you noticed it.    

@Kaylee1, I love sweet potato fries!  If you ever need help finishing them, I'm happy to offer my assistance and will even bring my own fork (or fingers because I'm not all that refined) ;)  That's great that you said no thanks to the freebies.  

@Pippin1, your meals sound wonderful!  I laughed over here reading about your hot day cooking.  Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.  

@Lizzard that's wonderful that you resisted such an established habit and that you've opened your wardrobe options up!

@Fiddi high five about catching yourself before you ate that!  

@HopingtoHeal I have never been able to stomach even the smell of eggs in coconut oil but light olive oil works in a pinch if ghee is handy.  

@WholeCourtney  the chili lime fish bowls with citrus crema sounds divine.  It's awesome to see you having so much fun with your meals and finding such delicious foods.  

I thought I posted yesterday but I guess not.  Yesterday I woke up early to make breakfast+lunch.  I used my mandolin on a yellow squash and zucchini while I cooked some bacon in a cast iron skillet and browned some beef with sliced onion and garlic in another, added some broth, tomato paste, and Italian seasonings.  I set the bacon and about half the bacon fat aside then assorted all the yellow squash slices to completely cover the bottom and sides of the skillet.  I put in the ground beef and sauce mix, threw on some sliced black olives and spinach, covered with a layer of zucchini slices, drizzled the bacon fat on that and popped it in the oven.  Once I took it out (I forgot to check time, went by my nose and eyes but probably was in the range of 20 minutes) I put the bacon over top and had half for breakfast.  Other half was lunch, made some new slices of bacon for the lunch serving because... bacon.  hehehe   Sometimes I make this dish with tuna or whatever else, I like to play with it but I think I almost always get bacon involved.  

I made nom nom paleo's salmon patties (pg 181), using almond and water chestnut flour instead of coconut flour plus made a bigger batch so each patty would be adequate single protein serving and more like burgers.  I also made the Louisiana Remoulade from pg 63, or something inspired by it, I always end up deviating to suit my personal tastes and moods, to go with it as suggested on the recipe page.  It really does go well together if you haven't tried it.  I served that over green beans with a few olives.  I wrapped 4 patties for the freezer and put the other 3 in the fridge.  

Breakfast was an exact repeat of last night's dinner.  Sometimes I think eating leftovers for breakfast is nearly as nice as being served breakfast in bed.  

For lunch I seasoned some ground beef with herbs de provence by Simply Organic and shaped it into an O shaped patty.  I fried it in a small cast iron skillet on both sides before I cracked and egg in the middle, added a splash of water then covered to let the egg steam cook.  That was served over cucumber salad.  

Chicken soup for dinner.  I really didn't care how hot and humid it was, I wanted hot soup.  I had a small bit of cashews while that simmered.  

I am not sure I will begin reintroductions at the end of 30 days.  I might wait longer if I feel like I need more time to be clear of coconut since that will be part of my reintro this time around.  If I do that, i might start relaxing on SWYPO rules after my 30 days but otherwise keep all my ingredients compliant.   I haven't decided yet how I'm going to handle this coconut experiment that I started mid-whole30.

@Ginsky - I agree with you about the leftovers. I have last nights dinner packed up now and ready for lunch today, and it was so easy. Much better than coming up with a new meal idea, and preparing it!

I generally have one meal a day with a starchy vegetable . But I want to switch it up a bit, because I'm eating too many potatoes and sweet potatoes. Any other ideas?

We're 2/3 of the way through - starting to think about reintroduction...

21 hours ago, Lizzard said:

Try a different brand of ghee, or better yet, make your own.  I just use it to cook with.

As for the photos, there are several options for you.

1)  If you are using an IPhone, first email the photo to yourself and it will ask what size you want it emailed (and it should tell you the size of each option).  Just be sure the selection is under 9.5 MB.  Then use that to upload.

2)  If you have photo editing software, open the file there and choose the resize option.  Select to keep the aspect ratio.  Try reducing by 50% - that should do it unless your photos are 20 MB.  Do a "save as" to keep the original plus the new sized picture.

3)  Select a lower resolution on your camera/phone so when you snap the picture, it isn't as large.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this Lizzard.  I'll spend some time and see if I can figure out the shots.  None of them are on my phone but on the laptop.  i'll see if I can edit the shots.

Yes, to ghee or not to ghee. Maybe I can suggest a sniff before you buy as it's a costly mistake.

Congratulations on your ever increasing selection of pants to wear!

21 hours ago, HopingtoHeal said:

@Pippin1 Yes, roasting in Glasgow too! A bit cooler tonight which I am very thankful for, all day in an airless office today was not enjoyable! I don't think you are alone with the ghee. To begin with I really struggled with the smell but I love the taste it brings to my favourite breakfast omelette and potatoes roast deliciously in it too. I persevered a bit despite my aversion to the smell because coconut oil really doesn't agree with me and I have to say I no longer have a strong reaction to opening the tin like I used to! I wonder if perhaps we are using the same brand, both being in the UK. Ours is the East End one which is the only brand they had in Asda. Is that what you've been using?

Can you believe it is day 20 already? I read back through some of my early blog posts last night (i've been blogging every day) and it is amazing to see the way my mindset has grown and changed in the 20 days and how my meals have evolved. I just love this journey!

Still roasting here today as the temperatures have topped the charts.  I'm not sure what brand of ghe I used, as it's now left the house, but I know I bought it at a supermarket.  So maybe we have used the same one. 

Anyway a nice refreshing shepherds pie this evening.  I wish they'd announce heatwaves before I plan and shop for my weekly menu.

Stay cool in Glasgow.  Day 21 soon in the bag - 2/3 of the way there!

@Ginsky  Your meals sound delicious as ever.  I've taken a note of your yellow squash and zucchini dish.  That one's going on my list.  I understand the hot soup thing. Even in blistering heat, a bowl of soup for brekkers always works for me.

@WholeCourtney - you're blazing the way.  I've copied your whole post to add to my recipes folder which I should now call either 'The Courtsky or Gintney Cookup.

12 hours ago, Kaylee1 said:

@Ginsky - I agree with you about the leftovers. I have last nights dinner packed up now and ready for lunch today, and it was so easy. Much better than coming up with a new meal idea, and preparing it!

I generally have one meal a day with a starchy vegetable . But I want to switch it up a bit, because I'm eating too many potatoes and sweet potatoes. Any other ideas?

We're 2/3 of the way through - starting to think about reintroduction...

Squash of all sorts make excellent starch servings.  Sometimes I see only winter squash included in starchy vegetable lists but other lists do include zucchini and yellow squash.  

Hi, @Pippin1, that's great that you're collecting ideas and getting inspired for future meal plans.  I'm afraid I don't have anything new to contribute today, keeping it simple.

I just had eggs over easy and spinach and a handful of olives for breakfast and then some ground beef with onion and garlic with some sliced sweet potato for lunch.  Dinner's most likely going to be a salad with a salmon patty/burger.  

I am pretty sure some hormonal cravings are beginning to kick in.  

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Ginsky said:

Squash of all sorts make excellent starch servings.  Sometimes I see only winter squash included in starchy vegetable lists but other lists do include zucchini and yellow squash.  

Zuchinni and yellow squash or 'summer squash' are not starchy veggies... 

winter squash, beets, carrots, parsnips, plantain, other root veggies :)  

56 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Zuchinni and yellow squash or 'summer squash' are not starchy veggies... 

winter squash, beets, carrots, parsnips, plantain, other root veggies :)  

Thanks, I have a hard time figuring out which lists to believe since the summer squash are sometimes on starchy lists and even carrots have bounced around depending on who I'm reading.  

Archived