Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, checking in.  Still plugging along quite well here.  I'm SO glad to say that the jitters have completely gone and I'm feeling pretty fantastic. :) I'm having a few NSV, I'm into the smaller of my small clothes (so the really tight fitting size down clothes) and the thighs are feeling pretty loose and comfortable!  No jitters a definite NSV I'm not focused on eating rubbish food and I'm not craving it either.  Making good food choices all around and feeling like this was not so bad at all even though I had some very sick moments. My headache is gone too. Winning! :) 

Hope everyone is going well. <3 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Ginsky said:

Thanks, I have a hard time figuring out which lists to believe since the summer squash are sometimes on starchy lists and even carrots have bounced around depending on who I'm reading.  

Ya, I think carrots are like a bonus 'not really' item but they are high in carbs... not so much starch but they'll do in a pinch... 

I mean you can eat zuke and summer squash obviously but one of the clues to whether it's a starch or not is how watery it is... does it steam down to nothing? Then it's not starchy... :)

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Ginsky said:

Thanks, I have a hard time figuring out which lists to believe since the summer squash are sometimes on starchy lists and even carrots have bounced around depending on who I'm reading.  

Here's a good list and it has the carb grams so you can see which are higher carb choices and which are lower where you might want to mix a few to get a good carb intake :)

http://balancedbites.com/PDFs/BOOK_EXTRAS/PracticalPaleo_GuidetoPaleoCarbs.pdf

11 hours ago, Shawnni said:

Hi all, checking in.  Still plugging along quite well here.  I'm SO glad to say that the jitters have completely gone and I'm feeling pretty fantastic. :) I'm having a few NSV, I'm into the smaller of my small clothes (so the really tight fitting size down clothes) and the thighs are feeling pretty loose and comfortable!  No jitters a definite NSV I'm not focused on eating rubbish food and I'm not craving it either.  Making good food choices all around and feeling like this was not so bad at all even though I had some very sick moments. My headache is gone too. Winning! :) 

Hope everyone is going well. <3 

I'm so pleased for you.  No headaches, jitters or tight thighs sound like vote winners to me.  Long may it continue for you

Hi y'all--I'm still going strong but have a lot of stomach upset (very unlike me) and fatigue. I generally have to take a nap by noon--having exercised in the morning--but I have never been a napper. My stomach has been cramping mildly for three days. At first I thought I caught a stomach virus, but I have no other symptoms except this fatigue and the cramps. Does anyone have any similar experiences? I've been 100% compliant, drinking water, tea and coffee, and sparkling water...but maybe not enough? Would appreciate any insights.

Hi all, glad to see we're all still hanging in there as we approach our final week before introductions!

I am dealing with hormone and cramp-driven cravings but managed to avoid going too overboard with dinner.  I cooked some brown turkey with thyme then tossed in an apple that I'd sliced and cut into cubes.  I added some broth to simmer and reduce a bit then cashews at the end and served it all over fresh spinach.  It was tasty.  

I still want non compliant junk and I don't want to get out of bed tomorrow and internally cringed my whole way through my workday today.    

Oh, I kind of hate admitting this but I've been feeling better since stopping all coconut.  I feel and look a lot less bloated in spite of it being a time when I'd typically be MORE so.  

I've been a bit quiet on here the last few days, - time just disappears! Things have continued well and I'm noticing that I fall asleep quicker at night and wake more easily in the morning. I had a bit of a skin breakout in the week which was a bit odd but I think has/is settling down. I managed 4 workouts this week with only Tuesday off and my food has all been compliant and satisfying. Have been pretty blue the last 24 hours and think the week ahead may be a bit like that as we approach our day 30 which will mark the 10th anniversary of my mum's passing. There is something really significant for me in completing this programme and taking hold of my own health on the same date that marks my poor mum losing the battle for her own. For the past 10 years I have eaten my feelings and lived with a constant fight/flight response, now I am learning to reduce stress, nourish my body and become strong. They don't lie when they say it will change your life!

Hi all, have been cooking up a virtual storm with both chicken and turkey broths; freezer is full.  Made the Tom Kha Gai and it disappeared very quickly.  Made the silky ginger zucchini soup and OMG soooo good just like most of you said.  Iran across it on Cook Lisa Cook and will say she uses toooo much black pepper...so I am using the second half of it as a sauce over my morning turkey bacon, scrambled eggs and avocado to fulfill the veggie requirement.  Have had lower back and hip issues for a while so have been busy outside the kitchen taking care of those matters.

@Lizzard A thinner face is a fine NSV.  I am lookout forward to that!

@LesTodd I hope your stomach cramping clears up.  I am wondering if it could be some food you have been eating that is new to your diet that does not agree with you.  For example, I learned years ago through the Eat Right for Yor (Blood) Type that a food allergy for me as a Type A blood type is caused by olives and also coconut.  These symptoms are often not obvious and can express themselves in your physiology.  The website offers a list of superfoods, neutrals, and toxins according to your blood type.  The Whole30 has been the icing on the cake for me(no pun intended) but I did have the advantage to know that there are certain foods that are not ideal for me because of bllod type A.  I still, however, made and ate the Tom Kha Gai which is coconut-based and noticed a reaction but it passed without incident.  You will Mohave to learn these things through your own investigation.  Others have spoken of carb flu but I don't know about this.

@SugarcubeOD Thank you soooo much for the chart of carb grams. This is just what I was looking for.

@Ginsky Thanks again for the great recipes and can you tell me how you got your signature with quote to appear at the bottom of every post?  Another cool thing you share.

@HopingtoHeal You have done more than a great thing for yourself and I too notice the synchronicities in my life spoken about by Carl Jung.  I have great hopes and faith for .you as well by your sensitivities, strength and power of example.  I will always watch for your posts to hear good news in the future.

@Shawnni it's been a long time since either of us have posted and I did miss your updates in my inbox.  I am happy to see you are doing so great!  

Does anyone know how someone managed to get a picture of healthy fats below her personal picture and above her location in the margin?  I love this technical stuff.  Thank you all for being here!

3 hours ago, Jane3797 said:

@Ginsky Thanks again for the great recipes and can you tell me how you got your signature with quote to appear at the bottom of every post?  Another cool thing you share.

I went to the drop down menu next to my profile pic and username at the top right of the page then selected account settings.  From that page I selected Signature from the menu on the left.  I typed in what I wanted my signature to say and saved it.  

21 hours ago, Ginsky said:

I'm still here and on track, just kind of wiped out and short on time.  Still bummed at facing the reality that coconut is not my friend but happy to be feeling better.

That does stink! :( 

With only 6 days to go I think Im going to miss the rules and rigidity of the program. Something I did NOT think I would be saying lol. I am very interested to see what foods I might reintroduce to my diet and what will be no-no's. We're almost there ladies!

Day 25 and I'm still here.  Went on a rafting trip with the kids and managed to not only stick to the diet but to enjoy two really awesome meals out in restaurants.

I'm in a weight-loss competition with some guys from work so I will be going beyond 30 with some modification.  Namely I plan to enjoy some friggin sugar free gum!  I'm sure there will be more but that one seems significant for some reason.

19 minutes ago, jiffylush said:

Day 25 and I'm still here.  Went on a rafting trip with the kids and managed to not only stick to the diet but to enjoy two really awesome meals out in restaurants.

I'm in a weight-loss competition with some guys from work so I will be going beyond 30 with some modification.  Namely I plan to enjoy some friggin sugar free gum!  I'm sure there will be more but that one seems significant for some reason.

What type of gum/sweetener do you plan to use?  Some sugar free gums contain ingredients much worse than sugar.  

Yesterday was pretty hectic.  

I made more cucumber gazpacho soup but this time I blended 2 cucumbers with some raw almonds and cashews and tossed in a bit of cinnamon apple sauce.  I can't get over how satisfying it is after working up a sweat/thirst.  

I also made more silky gingered zucchini soup but actually used more yellow squash than zucchini.  I've done it before with this recipe, it's all about what's in the fridge.  

I made a new pot of chocolate chili today (using ghee instead of coconut oil) and finally got around to doing all of yesterday's dishes in addition to today's.  It's amazing how it can pile up so fast once you get busy and think you'll just be one meal's worth behind but catch up at the next meal.  

So, I've been making my mayo with stick blender but feel like I just can't get it as thick as with the blender so tonight I'm going to make it in the blender.  I'll see if my memory just romanticized the blender method or perhaps the weather is the culprit and not method.  

On 24/06/2017 at 0:45 AM, Ginsky said:

I'm still here and on track, just kind of wiped out and short on time.  Still bummed at facing the reality that coconut is not my friend but happy to be feeling better.

I hear yah, I have a feeling that tomatoes might be causing my skin breakout (which is fierce and raw tonight). Potentially nightshades altogether but I'm going to start with cutting back on tomatoes this week and see how that goes. Gutted cause tomatoes with a tiny sprinkle of sea salt have become my new absolute favourite! 

1 hour ago, Ginsky said:

So, I've been making my mayo with stick blender but feel like I just can't get it as thick as with the blender so tonight I'm going to make it in the blender.  I'll see if my memory just romanticized the blender method or perhaps the weather is the culprit and not method.  

Looks like my ninja blender does indeed give a creamier mayo.  The stick blender does a great job but the ninja still beats it.  I will probably use the stick blender much of the time since it's a faster process plus easier clean up.  

1 hour ago, HopingtoHeal said:

I hear yah, I have a feeling that tomatoes might be causing my skin breakout (which is fierce and raw tonight). Potentially nightshades altogether but I'm going to start with cutting back on tomatoes this week and see how that goes. Gutted cause tomatoes with a tiny sprinkle of sea salt have become my new absolute favourite! 

I'm sorry to hear about the tomatoes. I was thinking of doing an AIP Whole30 later this year.  I also have nightshade issues and have to avoid having too much or too many over the course of a week or so. 

On 24/06/2017 at 5:55 AM, Jane3797 said:

Darn that dreaded auto spell!

I'm still here, still plugging along and still feeling really great as long as I eat. If not the hanger comes out, the fainting feels start. 

I feel really good about setting out with the mission to find out WHY I am eating and I've had a few "ah-ha!" Moments. My husband I have seen him be more encouraging the closer I get, even cooking me meals and telling others I am in the W30 with only 4 days to go. 

I have a bit trip planned to go camping and to the Simpson desert on my 30th day. I'm not sure how my reintroduction will go but I'm sure I will manage. 

My phone reception between now and July 10th will be touch and go too. 

I do plan to weigh myself on the 29th day and post what ever successes I have had. I won't have reception very well on the road in the great Australian out back. 

It will be interesting to see how I go from the 1st on out. 

Day 25 crisis averted!!!!  :huh:

Went to the lake with the fam today and made chicken salad... one bowl W30 compliant and the other family friendly. "Mom!!!! This is really good --- take a bite!" And, before I knew it, the fork was in my mouth and I had swallowed the bite!!!  

Have you ever had that awful, SICK feeling in the pit of your stomach when you realize you've made a HUGE mistake? 

"DID YOU GET THAT OUT OF THE GLASS CONTAINER OR THE PLASTIC ONE?!!!!!!!!" Praise Jesus! It was the W30 glass container --- Restart Crisis AVERTED!!!! 

Anyway, this simply reaffirms the fact that the W30 foods/menus are not diet foods, but rather amazing meals!! The pickiest of all picky eaters tells you the chicken salad is amazing AND the hubs brags on your W30 compliant meatloaf to the in-laws!! Makes my heart smile!!! (And, a small NSV ... last year's bathing suit is too big this year!!!) :D

Archived