Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

Hey there everyone!  I did decide to intro sugar yesterday, had a total of about half a bar of dark chocolate (soy and dairy free, etc) through the day.  It wasn't all that satisfying or uplifting after all.  Anyway, back to Whole30 rules today, still haven't reached any confident decision on easing up on the SWYPO issues now for the reintro phase.  

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Jane3797 said:

And I also agree....don't eat the bunnies!  Dr. Gundry, the Plant Protocol guy, found a 'Barely Bread' he advocates made from almond meal.  You can buy mail order buns, sliced loaf, etc. that I am pretty sure is a yeast bread so wouldn't have that rock heavy effect on your stomach that almond meal can have...but I would bet @Ginsky could devise a recipe for us.  Ahem....

Actually, I don't try to recreate things like bread.  I have celiac and gave up trying to dance on the edge of bread eating life style long ago.  I do use things like lettuce, collard greens, nori, etc to wrap things sometimes though.  

For those who are still on this thread: congratulations on all your victories! My victories were getting a tremendous boost in energy--all-day, stable energy, much appreciated at 64--which has allowed me to increase my work-outs considerably. I only lost a few pounds (but my BMI is normal, down from slightly overweight) and I know I am muscling up, so I am not concerned about the weight. My clothes are looser, yay! Biggest take-away was how mindlessly I was eating--not even pausing to consider nutrition.

Since this was my second Whole30, my reenter was a little of everything over the first two days, thanks to parties and visitors. Definitely going to stay 90% compliant.  And hubby and I have decided to do this every June for a tune-up.

Enjoyed the social support here and wish you all a happy, healthy life!

Congratulations to all on your multiple victories. 

@LesTodd that's great you and hubby and going to make this an annual event - enjoy those new muscles!

@Ginsky - Brave move starting with sugar, albeit virtuous high cocoa content choc.  I know what you mean about SWYPO stuff.  Sugar for me is one of those things, and it can be fine for a couple of days - small amounts, no cravings, then one day BANG as my brain roars at me to get it, get it, get it now! 

I'm planning on the official reintro in 12 days but having 3-4 days in between food item reintroductions.  I didn't have dairy or gluten before W30, so I'm going to have an experiment and see what happens if I have them again.  I'm also going to treat sugar as a reintro item.  I'm pretty nervous about it now the sugar cravings have gone, and truly my life would be fine without it, but I think that's unrealistic over a lifetime, so knowing how to keep it 'moderately immoderate' is my aim.

Hi all!

I was posting a few weeks ago, but life got hectic and I wasn't able to blog - I've been reading all  your posts on my phone, however, and I just want to offer a big congrats for getting through the other side of the W30! Yay! Everyone's stories have been motivating and inspiring.

I'm on Day 26 so only a few more days to go. I've not been able to give any thought to reintroduction, and my in-laws come to stay with us tomorrow (nice people but high maintenance, which stresses me out). It's going to be really tough to maintain W30 for a few more days and then reintroduce, mostly because negotiating 5 other people's (high maintenance) desires for restaurants is a total headache. We also have a small apartment, and the mother always watches and micromanages (i.e. when I'm in the kitchen), so making my own food on the side will entail a ton of explanation (I hate having to explain myself)... anyway, it's all good. I know it will be possible to maintain another few days and then do appropriate reintroduction, it's just going to be the most challenging test of the W30 for me so far! I suppose I at least have the strength of 25 days behind me. :-)

@Heather_r Hello and was wondering how you were doing.  Aren't you the one who actually started this particular thread, "Start Date June 1"?  I was thinking that your W30 could be an opportunity to show your MIL something new, although I know that is not always possible with micromanagers.  I wish you all the best with that situation and where you are in the program.  It sounds like you have done really well.  I am grateful for having been told about this.  I no longer suffer from acid reflux (chronic x many years) or sinus headaches (agin chronic with annoying post-nasal drip).  I thank the omission of milk in my green tea which I do notplan to reintroduce and the lack of sugar in my life.  I don't need that either since protein does in part convert to sugar.  I learned a lot of clever ways to keep veggies on my plate at every meal and my energy is so much better and on the rbound from adrenal exhaustion.  

I plan to stay awhile deciding what to do.  I am going to reintroduce Stevia .  I miss cheese but it's not good for us.  Maybe I will try a veggie cheese if compliant.

23 hours ago, Heather_r said:

Hi all!

I was posting a few weeks ago, but life got hectic and I wasn't able to blog - I've been reading all  your posts on my phone, however, and I just want to offer a big congrats for getting through the other side of the W30! Yay! Everyone's stories have been motivating and inspiring.

I'm on Day 26 so only a few more days to go. I've not been able to give any thought to reintroduction, and my in-laws come to stay with us tomorrow (nice people but high maintenance, which stresses me out). It's going to be really tough to maintain W30 for a few more days and then reintroduce, mostly because negotiating 5 other people's (high maintenance) desires for restaurants is a total headache. We also have a small apartment, and the mother always watches and micromanages (i.e. when I'm in the kitchen), so making my own food on the side will entail a ton of explanation (I hate having to explain myself)... anyway, it's all good. I know it will be possible to maintain another few days and then do appropriate reintroduction, it's just going to be the most challenging test of the W30 for me so far! I suppose I at least have the strength of 25 days behind me. :-)

@Heather_r How nice to see you again.  Posting can be just one more thing to do when life is busy and you're doing all that W30 chopping.  I'm going to be here for another 10 days getting ready to reintroduce.  I TOTALLY get not wanting to explain yourself.  It gets me really grumpy if I get any 'eye rolling'.  Good luck with your guests and kitchen/restaurant challenges. Just 3 more days till re-entry :)

@Jane3797 It's so nice to see you're planning to stay awhile.  I've got used to everyone's unfolding stories and am wondering how reintroductions are going.  I'm supposed to be moving in 14 days (but who knows really with conveyancing delays) so will work on reintro once everything is moved out and in as I'm not sure I'll be able to separate moving symptoms from dairy ones! I'm so pleased you've experienced some relief from your symptoms.  A sugar-free life would be great, but maybe not completely practical.  I've made some jam with just plums and chia seeds that T really loves and I'm waiting to sample in a couple of weeks!  Hemsley and Hemsley also do a really good banana bread recipe with no added sugar - not even a date! http://www.hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipe/banana-bread-2/

I never ended up having that hard cider I was planning for today, maybe tomorrow.  I also plan to try to do a day for teff reintro.  In previous Whole30s I never got around to testing that one specifically, I gave up after one by one other grains proved disastrous.  Now I feel ready to finally isolate and evaluate teff on its own.  I am not sure when exactly, perhaps this weekend.  I have to go out and actually buy some teff first.  

Thanks,  @Pippin1, I wanted to get that out of the way to see how it goes.  I agree, it's a sneaky kind of thing that takes a while so once I'm done eerything I'll be keeping a close eye on it.  

@Heather_r, good luck with your company, your final days, and your reintro!  

@Jane3797, I was contemplating trying to reintro a vegan soy free fake cheese that does use pea protein to see how that goes.  I don't have high hopes but I'd rather do it in a controlled way so I can show myself for sure rather than get tempted down the road and not be so aware of negative effects it's having on me.  Then I'm going to try playing around with some paleo fake cheese recipes I've found that use gelatin.  

Hi folks, I'm looking forward to reading through all your updates from this week now that I am headed home from my week at camp. Food this week has been a lot more challenging than expected and a proper reintro has been really impossible. I do think I have identified that rice is not my friend though. My plan now is to start a fortnight of whole30 eating tomorrow to reset a bit and then tackle reintro by the book. I am absolutely craving whole30 food and can't wait for a proper breakfast tomorrow - this week has been fruit, coyo and nuts which has been utterly depressing! Glad that my mindset is very much that I want to be back to compliant eating!

Hello everyone:  Good to hear from those of you who are still around.  The Whole 30 has been a saving grace to me and I will always be grateful for its invaluable lessions and for bringing to my inbox great support and input from all of you.  I am still avoiding sugar, legumes and dairy, and have reintroduced gluten-free grains in extreme moderation and soy cheese without effect.  I began a program of intermittent fasting and the weight is going down.  My first meal is after 2 p.m.  I still follow the Whole 30 template but have increased my fat a bit and decreased my protein a tad since that converts in part to sugar.  I am feeling really well.  I do love those sweet potato fries !

@HopingtoHeal Congrats for making it through what sounds like a miserable feast at camping and glad you are able to maintain your drive to continue Whole 30 compliance.

@Pippin1 Thank you for the banana bread recipe although for reasons beyond me I cannot have bananas according to Blood Type A protocol, and it is true that they do not agree with me.  I started using them again at the onset of Whole 30 and it was reinforced that they are not my friend.  However I will replace the bananas in the recipe with something else, not sure what yet.

@Ginsky I did reintroduce soy cheese that has not bothered me but I have not been using it much at all.  Oddly enough, moderate soy products are actually recommended for A Blood Type; apparently we are a rare breed.  I used soy milk often in the past and got along with it but eliminated it entirely for the Whole 30.  I do suffer from joint aches from the hips down but have a pinched nerve root lower back and a left ankle past trauma.  Still, as difficult as it will be I do intend to discover what causes what.  Everything I eat now is in intense moderation except for healthy fats, proteins and vegetables, and a few choice fruits, all that have been advocated on the 'superfoods' or 'neutral' lists by A Blood Type protocol.  I would jump at the chance for the paleo cheeses but gelatin is on the 'toxins' list for me.  Let me know how you're doing.

On 01/07/2017 at 3:24 AM, Pippin1 said:

@Jane3797 thanks so much for taking the time to put this together.  I'm forwarding to my friend who will, I know, be very grateful.

@Srini and @Jane3797 - I think I'll join you in October.  I plan to spend the next month reintroducing, then will go freestyle August and September - seeing if I can retain a paleo approach for the majority of the time.

@HopingtoHeal That's not nice having bad back and head, but you made it to the 30 and it sounds like your tape measure is about to tell you some good news.  I too don't weigh myself - and didn't measure anything - and don't wear tight clothes!  So I'm going to go with the mirror and the fact that my pyjames seem to be hanging a bit looser.  Simple pleasures.  Just dinner to go and Day 30 is in the bag.

@Shawnni Thoughts will be with you as you hit the road.  It would be great to hear how you get on.  7.5 lbs is a nice result.

I'

On 01/07/2017 at 10:13 AM, Ginsky said:

And day 30 is essentially done!  Congrats to us all; we made it.  

I've had no appetite today but I did manage to have 3 template meals, salmon burger/mixed salad at breakfast, egg-drop w/spinach soup midday, ending my 30th day with shrimp scampi and green beans/kalamata olives for dinner.  

In the famous words of Rocky Balboa:
"Yo, Adrian, I did it!"  

On 01/07/2017 at 10:38 PM, HopingtoHeal said:

So I measured this mornin and my middle has shrunk by 12centimetres!!! (That's 4.7 inches). I am thrilled! The list of victories is of course much longer than that too. What an overwhelmingly positive experience! Glad to have shared it with you all! I'm on my way to camp now so we'all see how that goes, I trust the cook though and I think she gets where I'm at so hopefully it won't be too far off a good reintro plan!

Hi all,  Congratulations to everyone here who made it through.  I like your quote @Ginsky  Thank you so much @Pippin1 It was quite the emotional journey the Whole 30 was.

WOW @HopingtoHeal That's fantastic!  

Sorry that I haven't been able to read everyone's post and reply to them all.  I've been home a week from my trip and while it was wonderful and adventurous.  It was difficult not slamming my body with, what I call, negatively charged foods.  

I have, absolutely, and undoubtedly been able to see what foods have affected me and where and I'm NOT a fan.  This time sugar is not giving me headaches like it used to but it's waking me up at 2:30 - 3:00am and keeping me up until 5:30 or 6:00am.  The times when I sleep my deepest.  

I haven't noticed a huge effect on the dairy side of things in regards to hard cheese but milk is definitely NOT my friend.  I have found it easy to (oh so easy) to go back to black coffee.  Wheat, I think, has been a big thing for me in regards to sinus issues - but - I was in the desert and it was dusty and so I think largely (while I was in the desert) that was my issue.  But being back at home, sinus is still a problem and so I'll be making the move to gluten free bread then back to none with sweet potatoes as my main carb.  

Since being home, I've decided that a pre-mix hot cocoa drink would be great.  Boy, was I wrong!  ***Apologies if this is TMI***  but two days following the hot chocolate/cocoa I ovulated.  It was back to being very painful, I was much more emotional (teary) this month than last month AND my "girls" were VERY sore.  I'm sure this was because soy was involved.  I'm fine.  I'll stick with my 1 square of 90% dark chocolate a night.  I don't' need hot chocolate to survive.   I'm feeling very lethargic since coming off the Whole 30 and I miss the energy I felt during June.  

I'm keen to come very closely back to a Whole 30 but I still want to have a square of dark chocolate a night if I want.  I wonder if there is a support group for that? :P  

Is there anyone else still around?  How are you going? @Jane3797

@Shawnni hello there stranger. Haven't heard from anyone in a while.  I have moved on (for now) and am doing intermittent fasting and ketosis.  This is vey similar to Whole 30 but extreme:  first meal of day 2-3 p.m., last meal 8-9 pm, 2 meals a day, high (healthy) fat, low carbs, no sugar.  My allergies have been delineated by the Whole 30:  dairy causes immediate sinus response, coughing and sneezing; sugar returns my decade-long acid reflux; grains mess with my digestion etc.  I will never test legumes, peas or peanuts.  On occasion I have the dairy and always notice the symptoms.  Fact of life now.  I am dropping the weight fairly rapidly in ketosis as my body uses fat for energy.  It was also on Whole30.  I feel better eating less and await anxiously for what many ketosis advocates call 'sixth gear'...a far cry from my (also) decade or two-long journey with adrenal burnout.  

So, to recap, I feel the Blood Type Diet has derived invaluable lists for me regarding physiology that we can't readily feel (tried and true); Whole30 is unbeatable for kick-starting us along the same avenue and helping us learn to take control f what does and doesn't go into our mouths; and ketone diet with intermittent fasting really sets the stage for a powerful recovery, if one is going to recover at all, and at my age (65), there is no more fooling around.  

I plan to do a Whole30 October 1 with a few others here.  By then I will know where I stand with my back issue, hips, and oh yeah, forgot to mention I have a fracture of the talus in my left foot since 1990's, will be getting that repaired before summer's end (the price of irrational responsibility).  Ah, to turn back those stubborn hands of time!

So happy to hear from you!  Will be looking for you throughout, and hopefully October 1st!

Jane 

Hi there @Shawnni and @Jane3797 - it's so good to see your posts. 

@Shawnni - that is a very distinct message your body gave you with the reintro foods.  It's good to know you've still got your square of 90% to take the edge off.  I really hear you with the call of the over-stimulating foods.  I've just started reintroducing yesterday but the build up has been one of biscuit and cake hallucinations - which I've ignored!!  They are, after all, just old messages from a bunch of faulty wiring.  I'm glad you had a great adventure and it's good to see you back here.  I might post a few re-intro tales to keep me real. 

@Jane3797 I love your breakdown of food approaches and their role in your wellbeing.  I had a jolt of recognition with so much of what you said.  I am 55 and determined to nail these food issues, plus back, hip and left foot problems!  How strange.  I hope to join you on October 1st.  It will be another 4 weeks for me doing re-intro as I am planning to leave at least 3 days between items.  Did you ever find anything to replace banana with in the banana bread?

Well, the first item to have a go with was legumes.  Peanuts were not very kind, punching me in the stomach for much of the morning.  Chickpeas no problem (so far).  There's nothing I can see about reintroducing things like vegetable oils.  Do you think they come under the remit of gluten-free grains, or have their own category?

Archived