Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

I'm also starting tomorrow (June 1) with my husband. I am really excited for the chance to reset our diet, that has increasingly become dependent on pasta for easy lunches and dinners and sweets at the end of the night. Here's my biggest concern going in - we have two small daughters (2 and 4) and I'm thinking I want them to do it too, but I know that they are going to be a lot more hesitant about all of the cooked veggies. They love the raw stuff. They are also going to really miss the yogurt and cheese and noodles that have become dominant in their diets. 

does anyone have any experience in going this with small kids? 

I should add that husband is a chef so cooking dinners will be the easy part - its the rest of the meals, the work lunches, snacks at the staff meeting and the chances I get to have lunch with friends during the week that make me the most nervous. I'd love any advice anyone has on how to navigate dining out for lunch or avoiding the snacks but not the celebrations at work :) 

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
14 minutes ago, rberlin7 said:

I'm also starting tomorrow (June 1) with my husband. I am really excited for the chance to reset our diet, that has increasingly become dependent on pasta for easy lunches and dinners and sweets at the end of the night. Here's my biggest concern going in - we have two small daughters (2 and 4) and I'm thinking I want them to do it too, but I know that they are going to be a lot more hesitant about all of the cooked veggies. They love the raw stuff. They are also going to really miss the yogurt and cheese and noodles that have become dominant in their diets. 

I should add that husband is a chef so cooking dinners will be the easy part - its the rest of the meals, the work lunches, snacks at the staff meeting and the chances I get to have lunch with friends during the week that make me the most nervous. I'd love any advice anyone has on how to navigate dining out for lunch or avoiding the snacks but not the celebrations at work :) 

You may want to spend some time in the Whole30 with Kids section of the forum... MANY people have done this with children of various ages.  You can also loosen up on the swypo items for children so something like a banana egg pancake would be okay (for them, not for you and hubby).

@RBerlin7: There is a cookbook called The Sneaky Chef full of recipes for exactly that.  They describe what can be incorporated into what and never noticed by them.  Have fun in the kitchen!

3 hours ago, rberlin7 said:

I've watched my young nieces while doing previous Whole30s and fed them what I was eating.  The spiralized zucchini noodles were a huge hit.  I don't think they grasped the part where I called them zucchini to be honest, they just focused on them being noodles and kept asking for more.  I gifted my sister a spiralizer after that because she could never get them to eat veggies before.  

And as far as going SWYPO for the kids (but not for yourself), you might be able to appease them with some faux cheese recipes that use gelatin and butternut squash or zucchini to further sneak in veggies.    

Hey y'all! I have decided to start tomorrow, June 1st as well. I have been doing the autoimmune protocol for paleo since May 15th (paleo minus eggs, nightshades, and nuts/seeds). I have two autoimmune diseases as well as depression and anxiety, and this diet was recommended to me by my functional medicine doctor. I did well the first few weeks and have been sticking 99% to the diet -- the only times I have gone off have been accidental (had no idea black pepper was a nightshade!) but lately I've been struggling with the Sugar Dragon. Maple syrup, coconut sugar, honey are allowed on AIP and I have been hitting them all a little too hard lately as well as paleo-ifying muffins and pancakes. I want to regain control, heal my body, and maybe even lose some weight while I'm at it. Looking forward to starting my first Whole30 tomorrow with y'all!

So here I am with 55 minutes left until Day One and I am actually just feeling totally ready and excited for it! The last couple of days I have eaten whole30 for half of my meals to try and ease myself in and actually have realised I feel better after those meals than after the others. On a Wednesday night every other week we meet together in a bible study group and always eat together, tonight we had pasta, garlic bread and salad and followed by cheesecake and I've come home with a headache. What a great way to remind myself why I am doing this and why it is the best thing for my body. I've set up a blog to journal my way through it too and just generally feeling ready for it! Hope you are all feeling positive too! We can do this!

Today's my Day 1.  It's 9:27 am and I'm feeling positive and motivated.  I made my chicken broth last night and have put some in the fridge and some in the freezer.  I think tomorrow I will make my beef broth just to stay ahead of the "game".

Looking forward to getting deep with my brain on this journey and finding out the "why's" to my food choices.  Sure to be an interesting one! :)

3 hours ago, Daniellee said:

Hey y'all! I have decided to start tomorrow, June 1st as well. I have been doing the autoimmune protocol for paleo since May 15th (paleo minus eggs, nightshades, and nuts/seeds). I have two autoimmune diseases as well as depression and anxiety, and this diet was recommended to me by my functional medicine doctor. I did well the first few weeks and have been sticking 99% to the diet -- the only times I have gone off have been accidental (had no idea black pepper was a nightshade!) but lately I've been struggling with the Sugar Dragon. Maple syrup, coconut sugar, honey are allowed on AIP and I have been hitting them all a little too hard lately as well as paleo-ifying muffins and pancakes. I want to regain control, heal my body, and maybe even lose some weight while I'm at it. Looking forward to starting my first Whole30 tomorrow with y'all!

I didn't realize that about black pepper either, eek! I mostly avoid nightshades, although i let myself have white potatoes because i feel i need them for the carbs- too few carbs is also bad for my depression. I have nut and seed allergies so i mostly avoid those too. I was originally thinking of doing AIP because i have such bad inflammation (arthritis, fibromyalgia) but i forgot. So no eggs either? 

Hello all! 

I am also starting Whole30 tomorrow and would love to join this group for additional support. 

I'm a stay at home mom with two kids. My husband and I successfully completed the Whole30 in January! It was tough, but more than worth it! I have read that going a second round after having relapsed back to an unhealthy lifestyle is really difficult - so I'm nervous! I can try to help share my experiences from my first round if it's helpful :) 

Have a great evening, looking forward to Day 1! 

Hi All! 

Me too! Tomorrow is the big day for me as well. I actually did a round in March and half of April and then totally flipped a switch and reverted back to bad habits.... not good. So, tomorrow is the new start and my goal is to embrace feeling great again and having boundless energy- trust me, it was there and it was great. Sending positive thoughts to all who begin and those continuing this incredible journey. Life changing  for sure .

11 minutes ago, B.B. said:

Hello all! 

I am also starting Whole30 tomorrow and would love to join this group for additional support. 

I'm a stay at home mom with two kids. My husband and I successfully completed the Whole30 in January! It was tough, but more than worth it! I have read that going a second round after having relapsed back to an unhealthy lifestyle is really difficult - so I'm nervous! I can try to help share my experiences from my first round if it's helpful :) 

Have a great evening, looking forward to Day 1! 

5 hours ago, Daniellee said:

Black pepper is not a nightshade.  Who told you it was?  Peppers are nightshades but black pepper comes from peppercorns which are not nightshades in spite of the similar sounding names.  Having severe latex allergy, nightshades are something I also have to be very wary of.  

Best of luck on your AIP Whole30!  

I am starting this program on June 1st.  Looking forward to working with others on this forum.  I am using a screen reader, so sometimes it is difficult to navigate around the computer screen.  Best health to everyone.

I'm starting the Whole30 June 1st as well....a little nervous...but committing to it...I'll be 60 years old on June 30!!!!  Wellness is my goal!!!  I'm fortunate to have a daughter that will support me and several women at work. 

I'm starting tomorrow, well, in 16 minutes, also. Unfortunately, I haven't done any prepping as it's been a crazy month with trips and graduations. We've been getting rid of non-compliment foods slowly, I just haven't really bought many compliment foods. I'll start my day with avocado and eggs, sit down with RealPlans and then go shopping. I trained myself to drink black coffee a few months ago, so that won't be a problem, but I do love having cocktails or wine with cheese in the evening with my husband. That will be one challenge. Another challenge is our "dates" usually involve a walk around the lake and then a visit to a beer pub and food truck or restaurant. We will have to come up with other ways to entertain ourselves. 

I'll also have to train myself to eat three times a day. I usually skip breakfast, throw together a pseudo lunch (sometimes), and then eat mostly for dinner and snacks. This isn't working for me as it means I don't make the best food choices when I wait so long to eat. 

Even though im not as prepared as i would like to be, I'm excited to start.  

Those of you talking about Real Plans, I thought it was a food delivery organisation.  I'm just looking at it now - a girl in the Australian bush can dream ;p  But which option do you use?  Keto? I'm not familiar with AIP.

It's nearly the end of day 1 and I'm feeling confident, but just a little tired.  My oldways would have had me bouncing a bit off the walls.  Thankfully I can do power nap instead. :)

2 hours ago, Shawnni said:

Real Plans... which option do you use?  Keto? I'm not familiar with AIP.

There should be a Whole30 compliant option.

Whole30 is not intended to be a ketogenic diet (and in fact we'd recommend at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg, daily), and AIP is only for those who have been diagnosed with an auto immune disease which require the exclusion of certain foods, or they suspect they might benefit from doing so.

10 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

I didn't realize that about black pepper either, eek! I mostly avoid nightshades, although i let myself have white potatoes because i feel i need them for the carbs- too few carbs is also bad for my depression. I have nut and seed allergies so i mostly avoid those too. I was originally thinking of doing AIP because i have such bad inflammation (arthritis, fibromyalgia) but i forgot. So no eggs either? 

Apparently I was wrong! I thought I had read multiple locations that black pepper was a nightshade but I guess not! Eggs are definitely a no-go unfortunately :( did you decide to do an AIP Whole30?

9 hours ago, Ginsky said:

Black pepper is not a nightshade.  Who told you it was?  Peppers are nightshades but black pepper comes from peppercorns which are not nightshades in spite of the similar sounding names.  Having severe latex allergy, nightshades are something I also have to be very wary of.  

Best of luck on your AIP Whole30!  

You're right! Good to know. Hope I didn't misinform anyone!! I guess I was a little confused because I never see it in AIP recipes and in one of the AIP support groups I'm in on Facebook, the group was talking about what they have replaced black pepper with for AIP.  Thank you :) 

1 hour ago, Daniellee said:

Apparently I was wrong! I thought I had read multiple locations that black pepper was a nightshade but I guess not! Eggs are definitely a no-go unfortunately :( did you decide to do an AIP Whole30?

I did decide to go AIP. We can help each other!

i woke up late and didn't have time to prep breakfast or lunch so i threw a roast beef, head of lettuce, box of strawberries, and olives in a bag with some oil and vinegar in a Tupperware. I'm have the berries, beef, and olives for breakfast at my desk and will make a salad with the rest for lunch. Not the best meals according to the template, but at least they are compliant.

Okay, Team June, let's do this thing!

I bought my groceries yesterday and signed up for Real Plans, which looks awesome. I was easing into the program the last couple days, so it wouldn't be such a shock to my system....then at the last minute yesterday, I remembered we had signed up for a multi course wine-pairing dinner at our favorite Greek restaurant for last night! That decision was made long before I decided to do Whole 30 this month... I tried to be careful over the three-hour meal, but I did nurse one glass of wine while drinking lots of water....And...I woke up with strep throat.  BUT HEAR THIS: I have absolutely no intention of NOT being 100% compliant this month, and I am going to prep foods this morning instead of going to the gym. Very excited about Real Plans.

Hi all. This is my second attempt at Whole 30. I started one Jan 1 and had great success until day 28... so sad, I know! I think the stress of "re-entry" side lined me and I threw in the towel. Anyway, I'm back and ready to rock. I look forward to sharing this journey with all of you and I wish you the best of luck and good health!

After eating way too much cookie dough yesterday, I decided at 10pm last night to start today on Round 2.  I did Round 1 in January and have been trying to stay compliant 75% of the time, but lately it's been more like 10%.   I have a lot of stuff on hand already, so I'm just going to jump in with the new month!  

Good morning, happy Day 1! 

I am not as prepared as I could be, but I'm actually excited to grocery shop today. I did not know about the meal plan site, thank you for the tip! I use pinterest loads for ideas. My husband is going to join me, which should make meal planning easier not to make multiple meals or have tempting foods in the house. I'm cleaning the pantry and fridge to be all compliant and just have one shelf for the kids with some non-compliant items. I have a few events coming up, last day of school party, graduations, birthdays, travel, but I really want to do this! Someone mentioned wine, a glass of wine will be difficult to give up! During my first whole30 I did not work out, in fact, there are few things I dislike more than working out! But, I am going to try to do something active at least 3-5 days a week during this whole30.

I'm sure you have, but is anyone checking out the timeline? https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ I found it helpful my first time around. It really helped prepare me for what I might be feeling and also allowed my mind to accept my moods swings and tiredness, etc. because it was "normal".  

Have a great day everyone,   

1 hour ago, Georgina2 said:

I did decide to go AIP. We can help each other!

i woke up late and didn't have time to prep breakfast or lunch so i threw a roast beef, head of lettuce, box of strawberries, and olives in a bag with some oil and vinegar in a Tupperware. I'm have the berries, beef, and olives for breakfast at my desk and will make a salad with the rest for lunch. Not the best meals according to the template, but at least they are compliant.

Awesome! As long as you are doing what you can, I think that's what's most important!

Archived