Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all!  I want to join this JUNE 1 starting party.  I went shopping yesterday; did pretty good until I got to the meat department.  Holy Mother of God and all the Saints in Heaven, there's A LOT of crap in sausage.  Sugar, sugar, everywhere.  Might have to buy my own livestock (she says, knowing her neighbors wouldn't approve. at all.)

Good luck everyone.

15 minutes ago, KBru said:

Hi all!  I want to join this JUNE 1 starting party.  I went shopping yesterday; did pretty good until I got to the meat department.  Holy Mother of God and all the Saints in Heaven, there's A LOT of crap in sausage.  Sugar, sugar, everywhere.  Might have to buy my own livestock (she says, knowing her neighbors wouldn't approve. at all.)

Good luck everyone.

If you have a Whole Foods Market anywhere near you their sausages seem to be compliant. Although, they are about triple the price of the sausage I would normally buy! That said we had a wee taste of one on Sunday and oh.my.days they are delicious - it is definitely true that you get what you pay for when it comes to sausages! I think they will have to be a treat now though rather than a staple of our weekly menu!

How's everyone getting on with Day One?

I have just been at the gym for my usual Thursday evening Body Attack class and I definitely haven't followed the Pre and Post Workout guidelines in the book, largely because it seems complicated and overwhelming. Has anyone had any thoughts on what they will do pre and post workout?

Otherwise today has been pretty straightforward for me, just waiting on dinner cooking and very much ready for it! We had a wee mishap where husband substituted red wine vinegar (which he read on the label had sulphites in) for "normal vinegar" in his marinade for the potatoes which on further pressing turned out to be malt vinegar which of course I can't have! Thankfully I had a huge stack of sweet potatoes on hand so I've cut one into wedges and they are in the oven! Anyone else had any mishaps?

@KBru I hear you, but really... just think. If you're adding all this extra stuff to make let's say black coffee taste better, why are we adding the extra stuff in the first place? Our taste buds are going to change, but right now it feels like going for coffee bare bones is hard. I get it. I find cold brew to be a bit more mild and easier. Today I ordered a grande cold brew black after breakfast and I barely touched it. I told myself I wanted coffee, I had to eat first. And because I ate a solid meal, I didn't really care for the coffee as much as I thought. 

Welcome to Day 1!  

I'm so proud of all my prepping that I rewarded myself with a sunrise trip to the beach with my dog and we had a blast.  Fritatta covered both breakfast and lunch for me so we had that much more time to enjoy ourselves.  

All my non compliant stuff is either gone or out of sight.  I made two pots of broth yesterday and have my freezer, kitchen, and pantry so well stocked I could actually finish my Whole30 successfully without a single future trip to the store.  That's also thanks for my weekly produce delivery subscription.  Trips to the store can be done at my leisure whenever I want some fresh seafood or atypical produce item.  Nothing I'll need to rush or worry about not having anything good to cook if I don't.  

I hope everyone is feeling good about the days and weeks to come.  We got this.  

@ginsky:   You sound in great shape.  I am also, but have a question.  Today is my start date although I have been on the program for quite a few days.  I did get side tracked and have not completed the book, so I wonder what all the fuss is about with the broth?  Thanks.  Jane3797

Day 1 and I have a massive headache! Likely attributed to the caffeine I was drinking every other day prior to this! ugh! Drinking water through it and reminding myself it will pass!  

Sounds like most are doing really well! 

I am not a huge breakfast fan and have been working on it for years...what kinds of things are you all eating for breakfast? Thanks 

21 minutes ago, Jane3797 said:

@ginsky:   You sound in great shape.  I am also, but have a question.  Today is my start date although I have been on the program for quite a few days.  I did get side tracked and have not completed the book, so I wonder what all the fuss is about with the broth?  Thanks.  Jane3797

Thanks, yes I'm pretty active. Personally, I love soup and already have silky ginger zucchini soup on my meal plan plus a few sauces for other dishes but also, bone broth is really healthy plus healing for your gut.  I'm a lifelong soup maker/eater, I feel naked if I don't have broth in the kitchen.  

6 minutes ago, B.B. said:

Day 1 and I have a massive headache! Likely attributed to the caffeine I was drinking every other day prior to this! ugh! Drinking water through it and reminding myself it will pass!  

I am not a huge breakfast fan and have been working on it for years...what kinds of things are you all eating for breakfast? Thanks 

Sorry to hear about your headache, I hope it passes soon. You don't have to eat anything traditionally associated with breakfast if you don't like those foods.  I often eat regular dinner type meals like steak and veggies for breakfast.  

29 minutes ago, B.B. said:

Same here on the headache.  I am missing that caffeine already but have also drank lots of water!  

I'm not much for breakfast but I got up early this morning and did a hash with potatoes, peppers, onions, spinach and eggs.  Not my favorite, but it seemed to be a good start to the day.  

6 hours ago, B.B. said:

Good morning, happy Day 1! 

I'm sure you have, but is anyone checking out the timeline? https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ I found it helpful my first time around. It really helped prepare me for what I might be feeling and also allowed my mind to accept my moods swings and tiredness, etc. because it was "normal".  

Have a great day everyone,   

For my first Whole30 I printed out each day's description on separate pages and placed them all in order with the appropriate number of blank pages after them for each day of my written journal.  It helped a lot.

Now, I keep a shorthand version of the timeline in the memo app of my phone.  

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

I'm sorry to hear about the headache. Yes it will pass. 

I consistantly have a veg omelette even when I'm off the W30. 

Thanks also for the timeline link you posted. A great reminder.

so glad I didn't binge on rubbish food days before. 

Day 2 here and it's time for breakfast. Yay for the prep! 

Today I'm on day 3 and it's going somewhat better than my last whole30. I had a major headache on day 1 and a minor one on day 2, but the accompanying exhaustion I experienced last time is nowhere to be seen. 

This go around I'm logging my food, but not for the purpose of tracking calories rather it's for finding out what my diet is missing. During my last Whole30 the exhaustion made me think it was carbs; so I ate a lot of sweet potatoes, potatoes, and roughage, but the exhaustion seemed to continually persist. Im really hoping that logging my meal plan this time will help skirt the exhaustion phase.

Does anyone have any advice for prevention? 

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, SommerM said:

Today I'm on day 3 and it's going somewhat better than my last whole30. I had a major headache on day 1 and a minor one on day 2, but the accompanying exhaustion I experienced last time is nowhere to be seen. 

This go around I'm logging my food, but not for the purpose of tracking calories rather it's for finding out what my diet is missing. During my last Whole30 the exhaustion made me think it was carbs; so I ate a lot of sweet potatoes, potatoes, and roughage, but the exhaustion seemed to continually persist. Im really hoping that logging my meal plan this time will help skirt the exhaustion phase.

Can you clarify, prevention of what exactly?

On 5/28/2017 at 5:10 PM, Shawnni said:

I can relate. My husband and sons will still be eating all things. On my first Whole 30 I put all those things in a cupboard, to them where it was and willed. Yield nt to go in that cupboard- kind of out of sight out of mind.

Hope you find what works for you. 

In our pantry, I have designated myself a shelf.  I will have to try to avoid eye contact with the other shelves for a while!

On 5/28/2017 at 11:30 AM, cristinamt said:

@Jahupla I think the best thing to do is to remember why you started. It might be hard to clean out the cabinets completely, but maybe make a section just for you. Don't be tempted to eat things that will only set you back from reaching your best self. 

I'm designating a shelf in our pantry to Whole30 options for me.  My focus is definitely on healing my body.  I'm excited to see how I feel in 30 days.  Thank you!

On 5/31/2017 at 11:42 AM, Ginsky said:

@Jahupla, when i did my first Whole30 I separated all the non compliant items to shelves that were still easily accessible to my daughter. That was enough to help me focus on the other shelves of things that I could have.  It was easy to train myself to ignore "her" shelves and she didn't mind the reorganization especially since every item on EVERY shelf was available to her.  I was the only one banned from certain shelves of the pantry and fridge.  lol  

Thank you!  I'm giving myself a shelf in the pantry which is at eye level for me!

On 5/28/2017 at 1:55 PM, HopingtoHeal said:

Hi Jahupla, I am in the same boat as you, my husband isn't going to be fully following the plan with me so there will still be bread and cheese in the house and that will be a struggle for me - my default is always toast and cheese!!! 

I hope your first day is going well.  I cleared off a shelf in the pantry for my Whole30 foods...at eye level for me so hopefully I won't look up or down!

1 hour ago, SommerM said:

Prevention of exhaustion?  Are you sleeping well?  Taking powdered form magnesium helps me with that.  

Is it possible you aren't eating enough fat?  

I am starting june 1 as well. Today was my first day. Was a breeze. This forum helps a lot....... i have done the master cleanse a couple of times before. This makes a lot more sense. I am excited at all the stuff i can eat and the junk i can eliminate. Totally ready for a system reboot !

14 minutes ago, Srini said:

I am starting june 1 as well. Today was my first day. Was a breeze. This forum helps a lot....... i have done the master cleanse a couple of times before. This makes a lot more sense. I am excited at all the stuff i can eat and the junk i can eliminate. Totally ready for a system reboot !

Welcome to the party!  It's a lot of fun discovering new ways to eat/cook and new foods to try.  

I've also done the master cleanse several times in the past but it never taught me even a quarter as much as what I learned about myself and food through doing the Whole30.  I guess that makes sense since it's not designed to do what the Whole30 does.  

Today's the first day of my second Whole 30, and I have to say today was delicious. My first Whole 30 went really well, but then I went on vacation and I kind of need to reset. This time I'm going to try to do a better job of replicating the meal template for every meal. I wasn't the best at getting the fat in last time. (I feel like I'm the only person on this forum who isn't obsessed with mayo lol.) 

Archived