Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

29 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I feel like I'm the only person on this forum who isn't obsessed with mayo lol.) 

Give it time. Soon you too will be assimilated. :) Seriously, it's just so versatile, from aioli to chipotle to dump ranch. 

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, 3/4 through day 2.  Took my lunch with me when I had to go out today and didn't eat it until 2pm.  My breakfast lasted me that long and I wasn't yet starving but I was happy that I brought something with me because that became my focus instead of "Oh!  I'm out!  Where should I eat out at?"  Very cool.  

I have a little bit of a headache but I'm thinking water might help flush it out.  Going for my 1ltr bottle now. :)

Hi all, I started my second round of Whole 30 on 1st June so would like to join such an active group. Did the first round 11 months ago and got to Day 68 (after a restaurant used flour to coat my potatoes in so had to restart!)  All was well after - until it wasn't.  The sugar monster returned - along with the weight, food obsession and body disappointment.  

But I'm back and post breakfast Day 2 and good luck to all with our own personal versions of the timeline :)

1 hour ago, Pippin1 said:

Hi all, I started my second round of Whole 30 on 1st June so would like to join such an active group. Did the first round 11 months ago and got to Day 68 (after a restaurant used flour to coat my potatoes in so had to restart!)  All was well after - until it wasn't.  The sugar monster returned - along with the weight, food obsession and body disappointment.  

But I'm back and post breakfast Day 2 and good luck to all with our own personal versions of the timeline :)

Welcome! Glad you are here!  Frustrating about the restaurant using flour! Hope this round is successful! 

Its ts the end of day 2 for me and I'm feeling pretty good. A little headachey still but nothing terrible. In bed by 9pm and ready for the sleep to come may. 

Yesterday was great. I mean, really good until the end of the evening before bedtime. I was a little hungry, and thought I would have a few cashews. I ate them. I did not read the label, but if I did - I would see they were made with peanut oil. One tiny, unintentional oops is bringing me back to the beginning today. 

Lesson: read those labels, all the time. 

16 hours ago, Jane3797 said:

@ginsky:   You sound in great shape.  I am also, but have a question.  Today is my start date although I have been on the program for quite a few days.  I did get side tracked and have not completed the book, so I wonder what all the fuss is about with the broth?  Thanks.  Jane3797

For me the broth helps with the nausea and not feeling well on the 1st week. Also it is great to have in the freezer for recipes, and to make a quick 1 portion soup.

Hi everyone. I have decided to join up today. This looks like a great group and everyone is supporting.  I have a lot prepped it is just keeping myself from going out to breakfast for fast food. That is my Achilles heal. I have been trying to get back on this program for some time. Glad to be with you, this is my day 1.

Day 1 completed successfully and without any cravings.  Day 2 is one third done and I do have a little headache, but nothing I can't overcome.  Meals are filling and at this point, rewarding.  It feels good knowing you are eating real food!

Day 1 done. Grilled some veggies and got a piece of grilled chicken from the deli. The chicken had sugar in it .... the glaze was the culprit. Just ate veggies. Woke up with a bad headache, but this day going well so far !

Wow - our group seems to have grown...so excited to see how everyone is doing and does during this journey.  I need the weekend to do much more prep but stayed compliant so far. 

Carolyn H.....I too am focused on wellness - and health but also some weight loss.  I will be 63 in August and want to feel strong and healthy and be my very best.  I use canned coconut milk as my "creamer" for my coffee.  It really is good.  Just read the label and find the ones that only have coconut and water.  I use a whisk to mix it really well in a smaller bowl with screw on lid and then it is very easy to use each time I have a cup of coffee.

I have allergies to preservatives so read labels a lot.  For a breakfast "sausage"...I purchase fresh ground pork from the meat counter (just like you get ground chuck, etc.) and then I add my seasonings.  Some times I choose only salt and pepper - other times I add sage and other spices.  You can google ideas too.  Anyway, I make in patties and usually try to cook in complaint leftover bacon fat.  So good and they reheat really well in wax paper in the microwave - so a quick protein I can bring to work.

Wishing everyone a great day two!~

Good afternoon! I hope all that are suffering with headaches are managing and they subside quickly! I found today to be pretty easy so far. Although, I had to run to the store to get a few extra things for a last day of school party and and I really wanted all the treats I saw! I resisted and feel pretty good about it! I came home and had a few blueberries as a treat :)  I made a chicken stew in the crockpot for this evening, loads of veggies chicken, smells fantastic! 

Have a great day! 

20 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I wasn't the best at getting the fat in last time. (I feel like I'm the only person on this forum who isn't obsessed with mayo lol.) 

LOL, well, I wouldn't say "obsessed..."   but it does come in handy for recipes and for meeting fat intake goals and it's fun to make.  I also like to get fresh coconut to use a side dish and give me some healthy fat.  (I'm severely allergic to avocado unfortunately)  Olives are another fat option; I toss them into salads and veggie dishes all the time.  

13 hours ago, Pippin1 said:

I'm curious, why did you decide to do more than 30 days for your first Whole30 instead of doing the reintro tests after 30 days?  How did your reintroductions go after you finished that round and how long are you going to be doing this round?  

@EJSmadhatter, I'm also big on prepping so I don't get caught in a lazy moment and make a bad choice or careless mistake.  Welcome to the bunch, so glad we all have each other as we make our way through this month.  

Day 2 is about done for me.  I had a slight headache this morning but it went away before noon.  I'm not sure if it was Whole30 related or if it came from allergies or even the change in weather.  I went to the market after acupuncture and picked up some fresh seafood and a couple coconuts to mix in with everything else currently in the fridge.  I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend filled with good food.  

I made a double batch of silky ginger zucchini soup from Well Fed 2.  I'm such a soup addict so no, I won't be freezing any.  It will go quickly. 

Just finished my dinner for day 2. I woke up with a bad headache that stayed till about 10am. Had eggs whites and veggies for breakfast (will make it whole eggs starting tomorrow - mistake). Had a mixed green salad with tons of veggies, olive oil and vinegar for lunch. Came home and made an awesome stew with potatoes, fresh tomatoes, peas, carrots and chicken for dinner. Thrown cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric and Cilantro on top. Ate a massive bowl and i feel FULL, awesome and think this will be less stressful than i anticipated. Good food dates better, especially when one puts in the effort to make it from scratch.

First thing i am doing post my dinner - is this post. This forum is huge and bigly !!!!!!! Thanks everyone - keep at it. 2 down, 28 to go....

Hi all a quick check in on the morning of Day 3.  My breakfasts are annoying me as in when I cook my sweet potato they are still crunchy when I eat them, completely NOT a fan.  I am too impatient to cook them first. I think it's time to go back and steaming and whip them.  Such a first world problem. Ha.

Cooking beef bone broth this morning to keep my supplies up.

Since most of my eating is emotional eating (or has been in the past) my why for this round is to recognise the emotional things that are challenging me and why I want to eat.  

Last night I had an art gallery exhibit to go to in support of a fellow local artist.  I ate before I went because I knew there would be non-compliant food and beverages there.  I felt great to go in and not have the worry of "what could I eat" but this morning I'm having emotional thoughts and wanting to comfort myself with foods (nothing I can put my finger on, just food) because I ran into an old nemesis who felt it important to fawn and cuddle all over the woman I was talking to and give me the cheeky smile and wink as if to say….something… I'm not sure what it was she was trying to say or what my mind wants to believe she is saying….  

Anyway today it is on my mind.  I'm trying to figure out exactly WHY it's bothering me….  Is it a mirror of myself and my own behaviour or is it reflection of my childhood "your not good enough" $h!t coming up.   I seriously need to squash that crap, it only holds me back.  

Anyone else here have a why similar to mine?  Emotional eating?

I have always said that I could live on avocados.  I love having 1/2 to 1 avocado with my meals.  I have discovered drizzling balsamic vinegar on my avocado is amazing!  Headache went away quickly today and I have finished all my meals and I'm not hungry.  Today was even National Doughnut Day and of course someone brought them in to the office.  I easily stayed away because 1) I'm committed, and 2) I wasn't hungry after my healthy breakfast.   I think I can say day 2 was a success!  Yeah!

16 hours ago, Pippin1 said:

Pippin1, I urge you to do a proper reintroduction this time around. The reintroduction is more important than the 30 days because it will tell you exactly how the eliminated foods affect you and that information makes it MUCH easier to design an eating plan so that your lost weight won't return and your NSVs will continue.

6 hours ago, Shawnni said:

Hi all a quick check in on the morning of Day 3.  My breakfasts are annoying me as in when I cook my sweet potato they are still crunchy when I eat them, completely NOT a fan.  I am too impatient to cook them first. I think it's time to go back and steaming and whip them.  Such a first world problem. Ha.

Cooking beef bone broth this morning to keep my supplies up.

Since most of my eating is emotional eating (or has been in the past) my why for this round is to recognise the emotional things that are challenging me and why I want to eat.  

Last night I had an art gallery exhibit to go to in support of a fellow local artist.  I ate before I went because I knew there would be non-compliant food and beverages there.  I felt great to go in and not have the worry of "what could I eat" but this morning I'm having emotional thoughts and wanting to comfort myself with foods (nothing I can put my finger on, just food) because I ran into an old nemesis who felt it important to fawn and cuddle all over the woman I was talking to and give me the cheeky smile and wink as if to say….something… I'm not sure what it was she was trying to say or what my mind wants to believe she is saying….  

Anyway today it is on my mind.  I'm trying to figure out exactly WHY it's bothering me….  Is it a mirror of myself and my own behaviour or is it reflection of my childhood "your not good enough" $h!t coming up.   I seriously need to squash that crap, it only holds me back.  

Anyone else here have a why similar to mine?  Emotional eating?

Hey Shawnni, I hear you on emotional eating! I have been doing it for more than a decade, fuelled by my mum getting ill and passing away initially and then a miscarriage just shortly after I got married two years ago. For me it has become so ingrained that I don't even realise I am doing it half the time. I am finding the rules here really helpful because I am just not a rule-breaker but I also have worked hard over the past year or so to get my mental health in order so I feel I've come into this stronger. Have you tried just writing out everything you are feeling? Sometimes I find that helps to just get it out my head? Also getting out for a walk in those times I find helpful as well.

i see you are an artist, I work in theatre and I think the lifestyle of work in the arts can make food tricky too - when I've been freelance I find I keep odd hours and work can be quite lonely sometimes because you are either working alone or in and out of many places, in some ways for me I think it has meant I've not had accountability cause no one was consistently seeing what I was eating, does that make sense?

As for day two, I felt it went well, I can't say that how I felt matched the timeline (which I'm thankful for) but not sure if I have that still to come. Post breakfast on day 3 and I'm feeling good, I got up this morning more easily than I expected for an earlier than usual Saturday morning start (I am teaching 3 classes today and my husband has the car for a course today so I'm on the bus!) I went back to my day one breakfast which I think will be my default as it fits well with getting ready in the morning too - showered, made coffee, cooked, ate and packed my things within 45 minutes!

lunch will be leftover soup from yesterday (the sweet potato one from the book) and leftover lemon and garlic chicken and salad for dinner.

hope your day 3 is going well/has gone well Shawnni!

14 hours ago, Srini said:

Just finished my dinner for day 2. I woke up with a bad headache that stayed till about 10am. Had eggs whites and veggies for breakfast (will make it whole eggs starting tomorrow - mistake). Had a mixed green salad with tons of veggies, olive oil and vinegar for lunch. Came home and made an awesome stew with potatoes, fresh tomatoes, peas, carrots and chicken for dinner. Thrown cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric and Cilantro on top. Ate a massive bowl and i feel FULL, awesome and think this will be less stressful than i anticipated. Good food dates better, especially when one puts in the effort to make it from scratch.

First thing i am doing post my dinner - is this post. This forum is huge and bigly !!!!!!! Thanks everyone - keep at it. 2 down, 28 to go....

Not sure what kind of peas you used but regular green peas are not allowed because they are a legume. This got me my first time around. Sugar snap and some others that are more bean like are allowed, i think out lists them out in the book. 

Yesterday, I had a meeting at a coffee shop. I was kind of worried about what I could have, but I just got an espresso and it was great. I feel like I kind of try to avoid social situations while on Whole30, because it's just so much easier to manage everything at home. I hate being that cliche person who has a million questions and substitutions for the waiter. A friend I haven't seen in a while wants to meet up for a drink next week. I guess I'll just drink water while she drinks?

@cristinamt, your chili lime chicken burgers sound delicious, hope they were every bit as wonderful as they sound.  

@SharpieI relate to not liking to be "that person" with tons of special questions and requests and usually find something on the menu that either fits my needs as is or only require a minimal adjustment such as no bun or no sauce, etc.  I am allergic to so many things so dining out at any time is nerve wracking for me.  Also, I keep a list on my phone of all my allergies so I can show it to the server and chef.  I keep meaning to get cards printed out.  It helps keep track of everything.  Some chefs and servers are familiar with Whole30 by the way, some have even done it before so don't be afraid to mention it by name.  

@Srini, I'm sorry to say if you had regular peas yesterday then yesterday is day 1 again for you.  Green beans, snap peas, and snow peas, (maybe Romano beans but I'm not absolutely sure on that one) are the only exceptions to the no-legumes rule.  

@Shawnni, big hugs and congratulations for getting through the event last night and giving thought to your emotional experience instead of falling into food reaction.  Please recognize that progress and triumph in that.  I'm sorry it happened and you came away feeling like that and I do hope you uncover your answers.  

@Lizzard, congrats on resisting the office treats.  It's definitely easier to resist the junk when your body is so satisfied from healthy eating.

@HopingtoHeal, I hope you managed to escape the hangover entirely.  

Well, my dog and I were up and out the door early again.  I had bison filet mignon with ginger zucchini soup (Well Fed 2) for breakfast and split a coconut with my dog.  It's almost lunchtime already, time flies!  I'm glad I have an excuse to have more soup soon.  

I just discovered k-cup bone broth - this stuff is the answer to my 'I'm hangry' dilemmas.  Being W30 compliant, it was the cherry on top of my successful grocery trip this morning.  Just saying :D

On 6/1/2017 at 2:30 PM, Ginsky said:

Fritatta covered both breakfast and lunch for me so we had that much more time to enjoy ourselves.  

First time Whole30 .... I made my first fritatta today (Yay me!) and was pleased by how it turned out!!! How do you know how much you can eat, though --- do you do the palm size because of the protein, or do you do a plate size because of the veggies? (Having a hard time with the whole hand measurement thingies...) :)

Archived