Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@C. Page Way to go on your first frittata!  I grew up eating them as a dinner food and actually never had a western omelet until I was an adult.  lol  

Palm size is a recommendation for your protein.  It's not a strict rule so you can have a bigger or second serving if you need it.  Rules and recommendations are very different things so don't stress it if you vary a bit on your portion size.  I don't weigh or hold my palm over every serving of protein but I try to make fair estimates.   I do load my plate with healthy veggies.  Did you see the meal template available for download?   https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

@Shawnni, I'm so sorry to hear your morning is so unpleasant.  

Hi Everyone!

I'm on day 3 and I'm shocked that I haven't struggled as much as I thought I would. I had such bad habits, I skipped breakfast and lunch then gorged at dinner (always eaten while watching TV) and would graze right up until bed time. I frequently snacked on cookies and candy before bed. I was going to bed super late and sleeping in til all hours and was always lethargic during the day.

I knew I needed to change my life and the Whole30 program just spoke to me. I'm terrified of not being strong enough, of letting a future craving win but right now, today, I'm taking joy and satisfaction in what I have achieved so far. I've never gone 2 whole days with no sugar, dairy, grains, etc in ever lol.

You're doing great!   I'm on Day 3 as well.  I agree with you in that I haven't struggled as much as I thought I would, but I'm having fun planning meals for my family, so I'm throwing my energy into that.   I'm trying foods I've never purchased before - although I've always spent the bulk of my time in the produce section anyway, but I'm loving that summer is here and there are farmer's markets everywhere!  

12 minutes ago, Ginsky said:

Way to go on your first frittata!  I grew up eating them as a dinner food and actually never had a western omelet until I was an adult.  lol  

Palm size is a recommendation for your protein.  It's not a strict rule so you can have a bigger or second serving if you need it.  Rules and recommendations are very different things so don't stress it if you vary a bit on your portion size.  I don't weigh or hold my palm over every serving of protein but I try to make fair estimates.   I do load my plate with healthy veggies.  Did you see the meal template available for download?   https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

@Ginsky Thanks for the reply!!! The OCD math teacher in me keeps trying to take over when I'm measuring (not measuring) my serving sizes! LOL I actually have the meal planning rubric hanging on my refrigerator and I've caught my husbands "she's finally lost it" looks when I'm holding my hand over my plate.  

Luckily I love cooking and trying out new recipes so I am having a ton of fun with that aspect. I went to my local farmers market today and bought my first pastured organic beef, holy smokes eating healthy is expensive! But Im sure it will be super tasty, and combing the farmers market for just the right ingredients was fun. 

48 minutes ago, Shawnni said:

Morning of day 4 for me and I feel absolutely sick. :( 

Headachey and nauseous. Using lavender oil and peppermint oils and drinking water in hope it passes. 

I feel you ... I too have struggled with withdrawals ---- I was a gallon of sweet tea a day user ... not to mention all the other foods with sugar in them.   Lemon water has been my saving grace these past few days! 

@WholeCourtney, it's great you joined the forum before you hit any of those hurdles.  Welcome to Whole30 life!  I am a big fan of advanced preparation and planning.  If you already have compliant options in the house when weak moments, or rather strong cravings and temptations hit, you can ride them out better and come out successful. You don't want to be out of food and need to go shopping right as you are in the midst of that.      

@missmarilyn88, it's so awesome how many new foods you discover! 

@C. Page, that's  a riot!  I do admit to having a kitchen scale on my counter to help me figure out portions with some things and yes, I've weighed eggs and then weighed their empty shells in the past to get an idea of how much egg I was actually using.  

27 minutes ago, Lizzard said:

@C. Page the Frittata recipe says it's for two servings but I could only eat 1/4 this morning.   I made mine with onions tomatos and broccoli. It was delicious.  Added compliant bacon for more protein.  

I added onions, tomatoes, green peppers, and spinach to mine.   (I'm not a big kale person.)  I used the Aidells Chicken & Apple sausage to mine.   I think I read somewhere that it was W30 compliant.  

It's Day 2 of Whole 30. I'm working slowly to increase the size of my meals. Sort of. My breakfast is still a struggle. I'm going with the mini meals approach until I'm comfortable eating bigger meals first thing. Also, I am trying to eat out. I was "that person" today at b.good - going for a bunless burger with salsa and avocado, but veggies that could of be confirmed how they were cooked. I passed on those, but munched on sugar snap peas on the way home. Tonight we're doing chili lime chicken burgers from Traded Joe's with guacamole, salsa and broccoli. 

Today is day 5 for me and I feel very unhungry. Food doesn't sound or look appetizing at the moment and I'm not really sure why, but I recall it is a common thing for some people on the Whole30; on the other hand my boyfriend says all he can thing about is food and he's starving. 

Generally, he eats a lot of chipotle mayo/ranch/mayo/fat rich sauces, so I don't think it's the lack of fat in his diet.

I know for me it just supposed to eat the three meals a day, but it's there a way to help my boyfriend feel full?

@cristinamt, I'm actually excited hearing about your burgers.  Maybe i should do something about my lime addiction.  lol  Nah.  Great job on navigating your way through a restaurant meal!

@SommerM, What do his meals consist of now?  He might need bigger servings of one or multiple things if he's having legitimate hunger.  I think the mental test is to ask yourself if you are hungry enough to eat hard boiled eggs.  If not, then it could just be cravings and not hunger.  If it's hunger, then perhaps he should go ahead and have the hard boiled eggs.  

I had a big lunch, made some sort of shrimp and scallop diablo with diced tomatoes, coconut milk, spinach, black olives, garlic, paprika, tiny dash of habanero, salt, pepper, and of course shrimp and scallops.  I didn't use a recipe or measure anything but it was delicious.  I sauteed the shrimp and scallops in a mix of ghee and coconut oil before adding the other ingredients, then removed the seafood while reducing the sauce a bit.  Unsurprisingly, I had a side serving of the zucchini soup with it.  

Lunch was big and I'm not really hungry for a big dinner so I think I'm just going to do something small in a bit, like an egg and more soup.  Yep, just a single egg.  Did I mention lunch was big?  

• Moderators
3 hours ago, C. Page said:

I added onions, tomatoes, green peppers, and spinach to mine.   (I'm not a big kale person.)  I used the Aidells Chicken & Apple sausage to mine.   I think I read somewhere that it was W30 compliant.  

You REALLY need to check packages of food you're eating for yourself instead of relying on thinking you read somewhere that it's compliant.  What if they were compliant but they changed recipes, or one variety is and you bought the other.  Don't rely on memory or the internet to tell you if something is compliant.  If it doesn't have the Whole30 approved logo on the package, then flipp'r over and read the ingredients.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Lizzard said:

@C. Page the Frittata recipe says it's for two servings but I could only eat 1/4 this morning.   I made mine with onions tomatos and broccoli. It was delicious.  Added compliant bacon for more protein.  

Bacon is considered a fat on Whole30, not protein - for future reference :)

• Moderators
3 hours ago, SommerM said:

Today is day 5 for me and I feel very unhungry. Food doesn't sound or look appetizing at the moment and I'm not really sure why, but I recall it is a common thing for some people on the Whole30; on the other hand my boyfriend says all he can thing about is food and he's starving. 

Generally, he eats a lot of chipotle mayo/ranch/mayo/fat rich sauces, so I don't think it's the lack of fat in his diet.

I know for me it just supposed to eat the three meals a day, but it's there a way to help my boyfriend feel full?

Is he using his own palm size for protein serving sizes, or your palm size?  Often in a couples instance where the partner cooks, they use their own body metrics for measuring and if the partner is a bigger person, then that partner should be eating more... making two identical matching plates for two different sized people isn't going to work.  As well, if he's more active than you, he'll need to eat more.  Again, this is an individual experiment for each person, so he should be doing the same as everyone else, if your meal is not getting you 4-5 hours between, eat more.  Eat more protein, eat more fat, eat more starches, eat more in general at meals.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, C. Page said:

First time Whole30 .... I made my first fritatta today (Yay me!) and was pleased by how it turned out!!! How do you know how much you can eat, though --- do you do the palm size because of the protein, or do you do a plate size because of the veggies? (Having a hard time with the whole hand measurement thingies...) :)

If your frittatta is veggie with eggs, then the serving size is 3-4 eggs worth... so if you made the thing with a dozen eggs, each serving would be 1/4 to a 1/3 of the bake.  You are also probably going to need to add more veggies to your meal and a fat source (altho you said you had bacon in another post so that would count).

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You REALLY need to check packages of food you're eating for yourself instead of relying on thinking you read somewhere that it's compliant.  What if they were compliant but they changed recipes, or one variety is and you bought the other.  Don't rely on memory or the internet to tell you if something is compliant.  If it doesn't have the Whole30 approved logo on the package, then flipp'r over and read the ingredients.

Sound advice ... I did double check and there was no sugar or "-ites"  

How's everyone doing this Sunday/Day 4?  I thought I was feeling kind of crabby and irritably last night but that feeling was completely absent this morning.  My dog and I were out early, slightly before sunrise but had to cut things short when the rain began about 90 minutes later.  We had a fun little run in the rain to get back.  I say "fun" lightly.  I was very happy to have soup waiting for me at home!  (Once I toweled off my dog and got her comfy of course.)  So breakfast was tuna salad with celery and a side of the last of my zucchini soup.  I have a pot of chocolate chili on the stove simmering, possibly for lunch or maybe not until dinner.  I have to do something for a few hours right around lunchtime so I'm not sure whether to have lunch early or late.  I'm leaning toward late but we'll see what happens.  

I have a funny story from last night, a little adult oriented so I hope it's okay.  I bumped into my friend and neighbor last night while walking my dog and she asked if I had plans for the night.  I told her honestly that my only plan was to go home and make mayo but as I did this, I absentmindedly mimicked using the stick blender with my right hand.  I only realized what I was doing, how it looked, and how it made my statement sound when I saw the look on her face.  I laughed so hard as I tried to explain to her I make my own mayonnaise with a stick blender and that I really did mean that I was making a batch of mayonnaise and was not speaking code.  All the while she was covering her dog's eyes in jest.  

14 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Bacon is considered a fat on Whole30, not protein - for future reference :)

I'm pretty sure I did not know this, glad to know it now.  ...and this is why I still come here.  Always learning.

I'm curious, why did you decide to do more than 30 days for your first Whole30 instead of doing the reintro tests after 30 days?  How did your reintroductions go after you finished that round and how long are you going to be doing this round?   

@Ginsky - A Good question. 

I made it to about day 24 when the restaurant sabotaged my potatoes!  So the 68 days included those before my restart.  A friend was they going to do a 30 and I thought I'd keep her company and see if I could go for 90 days.  But she caved after 3 days, so I stopped and intended to do the 'as it comes along' re-introduction.  That didn't work out so well as things didn't come along so I ended up going way off road before introducing.  This time round I intend to do 30 then reintroduce in a more formal way.  That's the intention anyway. 

On 03/06/2017 at 3:10 AM, ArtFossil said:

Pippin1, I urge you to do a proper reintroduction this time around. The reintroduction is more important than the 30 days because it will tell you exactly how the eliminated foods affect you and that information makes it MUCH easier to design an eating plan so that your lost weight won't return and your NSVs will continue.

That is so true.  I intended to do the slow and steady version last time when foods turned up. But they didn't turn up naturally and I ended up caving in to less than helpful behaviours.  I intend to do a more structured approach this time and to stop at 30 so it doesn't all become too much.

27 minutes ago, Pippin1 said:

That is so true.  I intended to do the slow and steady version last time when foods turned up. But they didn't turn up naturally and I ended up caving in to less than helpful behaviours.  I intend to do a more structured approach this time and to stop at 30 so it doesn't all become too much.

Maybe you should or could meal plan the 10 days or more after the official 30 to include the cycle of reintroduction day then two control days and decide in advance during the meal planning which groups are being introduced on which days if you don't follow the order given as an example on the website.  If you are so focused on this being a 30 day challenge, your mind might work hard against you for the reintro phase so keep reminding yourself that it's 30+10 minimum, could be 30+14...

Archived