Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

36 minutes ago, Pippin1 said:

I made it to about day 24 when the restaurant sabotaged my potatoes!  ........

This time round I intend to do 30 then reintroduce in a more formal way.  That's the intention anyway. 

Did you ask about the potatoes and inform the server and kitchen of your dietary restrictions?  It's frustrating when error on their end costs us our well being.

Your ending sounds like you're already mentally giving yourself permission to fail at the end.  I strongly encourage you to stay on target and, even in your own mind, to use committed phrasing for success.  It makes a difference.  Keep telling yourself you will do the reintroduction phase as outlined here https://whole30.com/step-two-finished/ or the following page of the slow roll but please read that carefully, it may not mean the casual "take it as it comes" it may seem at first glance.  

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ginsky LOL about your story!  Poor doggy.  Hahaha.

I am super cranky today.  Going to the store seeing all the things I can't have made me want to quit.  Doesn't help that husband bought some delicious looking non-compliant baked goods.  I nearly caved but am having a fruit salad as a treat instead.  yes, I know we are not supposed to have fruit as a substitute for sweet treats but I figure it's better than falling face first into a pie.

Hi, I started on June 1 after a couple of weeks preparing my mind and home. So far so good. There have been occasional challenges when I keep looking for food that I'm not really hungry for but a few frozen grapes fixed that. I guess I should be at "kill all the things" but with the lack of added sugars, and as I don't drink a great deal of caffeine, I haven't had the energy to want to kill anything. Right now it's a nice, soft pace and calm acceptance, aka 'I just want to nap". I am having fun looking up and planning meals and recipes and looking forward to what the coming days have in store.

I think i suddenly realized I'm more irritable today than I thought.  I have no patience for certain things and am just avoiding them entirely.  I think the avoidance was a subconscious decision that somewhat prevented me from fully acknowledging how I was feeling.  

At least my chili turned out delicious, served it to myself over a bed of spaghetti squash.  Had some coconut on the side.  Must get more coconut, I love this stuff!  

I don't know whether to be lazy and have more chili for dinner or make something else.  I mean, it's a lot of chili I have now.  hehe  I'm not looking for advice, just putting my thoughts out to demonstrate how I'm feeling at the moment.  

On 04/06/2017 at 2:51 AM, Ginsky said:

@cristinamt, your chili lime chicken burgers sound delicious, hope they were every bit as wonderful as they sound.  

@SharpieI relate to not liking to be "that person" with tons of special questions and requests and usually find something on the menu that either fits my needs as is or only require a minimal adjustment such as no bun or no sauce, etc.  I am allergic to so many things so dining out at any time is nerve wracking for me.  Also, I keep a list on my phone of all my allergies so I can show it to the server and chef.  I keep meaning to get cards printed out.  It helps keep track of everything.  Some chefs and servers are familiar with Whole30 by the way, some have even done it before so don't be afraid to mention it by name.  

@Srini, I'm sorry to say if you had regular peas yesterday then yesterday is day 1 again for you.  Green beans, snap peas, and snow peas, (maybe Romano beans but I'm not absolutely sure on that one) are the only exceptions to the no-legumes rule.  

@Shawnni, big hugs and congratulations for getting through the event last night and giving thought to your emotional experience instead of falling into food reaction.  Please recognize that progress and triumph in that.  I'm sorry it happened and you came away feeling like that and I do hope you uncover your answers.  

@Lizzard, congrats on resisting the office treats.  It's definitely easier to resist the junk when your body is so satisfied from healthy eating.

@HopingtoHeal, I hope you managed to escape the hangover entirely.  

Well, my dog and I were up and out the door early again.  I had bison filet mignon with ginger zucchini soup (Well Fed 2) for breakfast and split a coconut with my dog.  It's almost lunchtime already, time flies!  I'm glad I have an excuse to have more soup soon.  

Thanks @Ginsky I hadn't really thought about it as a triumph.  Hmmm I'm letting that sink in and it feels good.  I'm starting to feel like the other womans behaviour was important for her becasue she felt less than.  Why I tried to make that about me well I think was because I felt less than from an interaction she and I had 4 years ago.  Time to let that old $h!t go.  Acknowledged, assessed and set that stuff free! <3 :) That feels good. :)

On 04/06/2017 at 6:56 AM, Ginsky said:

@C. Page Way to go on your first frittata!  I grew up eating them as a dinner food and actually never had a western omelet until I was an adult.  lol  

Palm size is a recommendation for your protein.  It's not a strict rule so you can have a bigger or second serving if you need it.  Rules and recommendations are very different things so don't stress it if you vary a bit on your portion size.  I don't weigh or hold my palm over every serving of protein but I try to make fair estimates.   I do load my plate with healthy veggies.  Did you see the meal template available for download?   https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

@Shawnni, I'm so sorry to hear your morning is so unpleasant.  

Thanks again @Ginsky WOW, that was a wild ride :blink: I ate very little yesterday due to having such a queasy stomach and my headache turned into a migraine which I don't think helped my stomach at all.  I even had the trembles?   I finally caved about 5 pm and took 500mg of acetaminophen I slept from 6 pm until 7:30 am.  I'm feeling much better but the idea of eating is difficult.  Nothing sounds good - not even coffee.  Although I fantasised about many many different foods last night.    I think I will just try a banana and a cup of ginger tea and see how I go.  How are you going?

@Shawnni, that sounds terrible, all of it but I'm glad the acetaminophen helped you sleep.  I hope you will be able to have at least a small meal soon.  Perhaps some protein and fat is just what you need.  I'm coming along, working my way through some moods and aches.  I made chili for lunch and was tempted to have more of it for dinner since one batch yields so many servings. I somehow managed to motivate myself enough to make some Tom Kha Gai because I had lemongrass in the fridge that needed to be used asap.  

Day 4, and while I dont want to kill all the things, Im definitely more irritable then normal. 

I do find myself obsessively thinking about food, either when its time to eat next (even if Im not hungry) or what Im going to cook in the future, or worried that dinner wont satiate me and I'll be cranky and hungry and won't be able to not eat something off plan...yeah basically food is on the brain constantly.

I dont know if this is part of sugar withdrawal or just my anxious, obsessive mind, or a combination of both...

@Ginsky your scallop and shrimp diablo sounds amazing!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Shawnni said:

Thanks again @Ginsky WOW, that was a wild ride :blink: I ate very little yesterday due to having such a queasy stomach and my headache turned into a migraine which I don't think helped my stomach at all.  I even had the trembles?   I finally caved about 5 pm and took 500mg of acetaminophen I slept from 6 pm until 7:30 am.  I'm feeling much better but the idea of eating is difficult.  Nothing sounds good - not even coffee.  Although I fantasised about many many different foods last night.    I think I will just try a banana and a cup of ginger tea and see how I go.  How are you going?

As much as you may not like this, not eating begets feeling sick and not eating... it's possible that your migraine is actually FROM not eating.  I know, easier said than done when you feel like crap, but I"m telling you, it's not helping to not eat.  Try and think of something you llike... chicken salad, maybe some soup... mashed potato and ghee with some chicken salad?  It doesn't have to be a huge template meal and it doesn't have to be epicurean but it does have to be more than a banana... the trembles, upset stomach and headache are all likely from not eating... it may not have started out like that and you probably did just feel gross, but it's now exponentially worse because your body is starving.  Also make sure you're drinking the 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight because dehydration doesn't help either...

@Ginsky I know the first few days are really rough, but just hear me out - your changing your eating habits and it's a shock to the system. But if you're just running on a banana and tea because you feel so terrible, how is that going to really make you feel better?

I'm sure the moment you start to increase your portion sizes while adhering to the meal template guide as much as possible, you will start to feel better. Be sure to keep some easy, pre-made things ahead of time like hard boiled eggs or even an RXbar, but always go for real food first. Lastly, drink extra fluids. Try some unsweetened coconut water to boost your electrolytes if you're feeling woozy. 

4 hours ago, Ginsky said:

@Shawnni, that sounds terrible, all of it but I'm glad the acetaminophen helped you sleep.  I hope you will be able to have at least a small meal soon.  Perhaps some protein and fat is just what you need.  I'm coming along, working my way through some moods and aches.  I made chili for lunch and was tempted to have more of it for dinner since one batch yields so many servings. I somehow managed to motivate myself enough to make some Tom Kha Gai because I had lemongrass in the fridge that needed to be used asap.  

@Ginsky Thanks for this.  I am feeling much better and I'm very (read: extremely) happy to say that I managed to have some healthy fats and proteins for a late breakfast.  2 eggs and 1/2 an avo on a bed of spinach and cherry tomatoes with a black coffee.   Yum!  Tom Kha Gai, is it hard to make?  I have lemon grass growing in my back yard that needs to be used, I might google that recipe and see if I can find one that is compliant to make!  Chili is it the chocolate chili or something different?  As it's cool here I'm looking for a few good ideas, can you tell? ;):) 

Thank you @SugarcubeOD I agree with you, I kept having this conversation with myself yesterday when I was feeling so poorly. These are some really good ideas too.  Thanks, <3  I went to the shops today and got some whipping cream, I'm going to make some ghee today, I have laid out chicken to have and I've also recruited my husband to make me a veggie soup iwth the chicken stock base I have made a few days ago.  He will be under my watchful eye.  I'll be honest though, I have a fear of Mash potatoes ever since my first W30 adn they were a no go.  I'm afraid they will turn into sugar and make me crave more.  Is that nuttery talking or??  I'll be happy with Sweet Potato and ghee though.  Are two tablespoons at lunch or dinner too much?  I think on my 2nd W30 I was eating it too much.  I'm curious.

It's time to make Ghee. :D

2 hours ago, cristinamt said:

@Ginsky I know the first few days are really rough, but just hear me out - your changing your eating habits and it's a shock to the system. But if you're just running on a banana and tea because you feel so terrible, how is that going to really make you feel better?

I'm sure the moment you start to increase your portion sizes while adhering to the meal template guide as much as possible, you will start to feel better. Be sure to keep some easy, pre-made things ahead of time like hard boiled eggs or even an RXbar, but always go for real food first. Lastly, drink extra fluids. Try some unsweetened coconut water to boost your electrolytes if you're feeling woozy. 

@cristinamt I think that was me.  I did the tea and the banana. :) Thanks. <3 

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Shawnni said:

@Ginsky Thanks for this.  I am feeling much better and I'm very (read: extremely) happy to say that I managed to have some healthy fats and proteins for a late breakfast.  2 eggs and 1/2 an avo on a bed of spinach and cherry tomatoes with a black coffee.   Yum!  Tom Kha Gai, is it hard to make?  I have lemon grass growing in my back yard that needs to be used, I might google that recipe and see if I can find one that is compliant to make!  Chili is it the chocolate chili or something different?  As it's cool here I'm looking for a few good ideas, can you tell? ;):) 

Thank you @SugarcubeOD I agree with you, I kept having this conversation with myself yesterday when I was feeling so poorly. These are some really good ideas too.  Thanks, <3  I went to the shops today and got some whipping cream, I'm going to make some ghee today, I have laid out chicken to have and I've also recruited my husband to make me a veggie soup iwth the chicken stock base I have made a few days ago.  He will be under my watchful eye.  I'll be honest though, I have a fear of Mash potatoes ever since my first W30 adn they were a no go.  I'm afraid they will turn into sugar and make me crave more.  Is that nuttery talking or??  I'll be happy with Sweet Potato and ghee though.  Are two tablespoons at lunch or dinner too much?  I think on my 2nd W30 I was eating it too much.  I'm curious.

Okay so ghee is made from butter, not whipping cream... once you have the ghee, 2 tablespoons AT EACH meal is about right and yes, sweet potato is fine in replacement of the white potato.  It's not nuttery talking but potatoes were never disallowed because they're a bad food, only because of the potato chip/french fries issue... when the rule was changed to include potato but continue to disallow chips and fries, it added a nutrient rich food back into the program.  If potato is a food without brakes for YOU, then leave them out, but they don't 'turn into sugar' anymore than sweet potato does and they shouldn't be a sugar dragon waker upper.

Hi all, I'm Samantha and I also started June 1! Day 5, woo! So far, so good (I think). Although almost lost it a leeeetle yesterday when my mum dragged me round the grocery store and took the longest time ever in the ice cream aisle. So glad this forum is here for support!

20 hours ago, Ginsky said:

Did you ask about the potatoes and inform the server and kitchen of your dietary restrictions?  It's frustrating when error on their end costs us our well being.

Your ending sounds like you're already mentally giving yourself permission to fail at the end.  I strongly encourage you to stay on target and, even in your own mind, to use committed phrasing for success.  It makes a difference.  Keep telling yourself you will do the reintroduction phase as outlined here https://whole30.com/step-two-finished/ or the following page of the slow roll but please read that carefully, it may not mean the casual "take it as it comes" it may seem at first glance.  

Thanks Ginsky. Yes I was quite thorough with the restaurant. That was why it was so galling.

I realise I may not have been clear about my intention for reintro.  I promise I have no intention of failing.  I just might do a little more than 30 days if it feels good or opt to do the official reintroduction route - rather than my own order.  I don't usually eat much gluten or refined sugar, so need to think that through a little more.

Hope everbody's doing okay on Day 5.  So far, I've been free from the timeline glitches.  Maybe the first round got me in a better place for this year :)

Small slip up on the 3rd... where I added a few green peas into a stew - was otherwise compliant. Marching on ! Very proud of myself for the weekend (always tough to keep cravings at bay). Kept compliant and felt pretty good. Had energy to do a solid workout and walk 18 holes of golf. Last night was awesome. Ate a seared tuna steak and veggies. Other than a few random body aches in the morning, so far I feel pretty good and without serious cravings. Keeping apples around, to combat it.

Loving eating the occasional potato and whole eggs - had given it up.

Day 5 is here.  I had a horrible headache on Day 3 evening and felt a bit sick to my stomach.  I went to bed and was fine in the morning.  I think I've made it over the caffeine hurdle.  I tried the Crio Bru just to have a coffee like drink (even though no caffeine), but I did not like the taste at all.  I also tried coconut milk, almond milk, and straight black coffee, but they were all pretty gross.    I figured nothing was better than any of those options.  I'm glad I made it through my first weekend - even went out to lunch with my husband and was able to stay compliant.

14 hours ago, cristinamt said:

You have me mistaken for someone else.  I'm deadly allergic to bananas and ate very well yesterday, 3 meals pretty well on target to template standards.  Plus, this is my 5th Whole30.  

@Ginsky  Looking forward to your recipes.  I don't think I will like the chocolate chili and I don't eat nightshades, so if it's still a go I'm interested in at least seeing those, but the Thai dinner sounds scrumptious.

And welcome to the newbies @YoginiRN et al.  I don't respond much but I do read everyone's comments as they are delivered to my inbox.  I do like to drop in and show myself for accountability.

12 hours ago, Shawnni said:

I'll be honest though, I have a fear of Mash potatoes ever since my first W30 adn they were a no go.  I'm afraid they will turn into sugar and make me crave more.  Is that nuttery talking or??  I'll be happy with Sweet Potato and ghee though.  Are two tablespoons at lunch or dinner too much?  I think on my 2nd W30 I was eating it too much.  I'm curious.

I'm so glad to hear it, I hope the good trend of feeling improved continues.  The soup was easy to make since I always keep broth around.  How luck you are to have lemongrass in the yard!  It's easy enough to use just about anyone's tom kha gai recipe and make it compliant by exchanging soy sauce for coconut aminos. I don't even really follow any particular recipe, I just throw it together from memory and by taste.

Yes, the chocolate chili recipe I used is from Well Fed.  I love it.  

By the way, I still feel weird about potatoes being allowed in Whole30.  lol  

Archived