Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

That's really frustrating about the spices. I wouldn't think to check a regular spice although i do check blends. 

I'm still really tired and the sugar Dragon is killing me this round when it didn't really bother me last time. I'm finding myself eating a lot more fruit; part of that is seasonal because berries are available and they are pretty much the only raw fruit i can eat so i always have lots in June/July. But just in general I'm craving sweet way more than usual.

Make sure you're still eating those fruits WITH a meal... there's loads of seasonal fruit available right now but the recommendation still applies that you're not eating it on its own... Are you eating enough fat?  Not eating enough fat can be a trigger for the sugar dragon because it knows how to get easy fuel so if you're not giving it the long burning fat, then it's going to start asking for things it knows about... 

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shawni I often throw in some olives to soups, or add a swirl of extra virgin oil before serving.

Good luck with the weekend away - I can empathise with the long suffering  looks from my family.  I keep it really simple when away.  Tinned tuna in extra virgin oil, chicken cooked ahead, packs of prepared stir fry mix and salads, then buy in oil, eggs and fruit/extra veg when I get there.

3 hours ago, Pippin1 said:

Shawni I often throw in some olives to soups, or add a swirl of extra virgin oil before serving.

Good luck with the weekend away - I can empathise with the long suffering  looks from my family.  I keep it really simple when away.  Tinned tuna in extra virgin oil, chicken cooked ahead, packs of prepared stir fry mix and salads, then buy in oil, eggs and fruit/extra veg when I get there.

Great suggestions ! Thank you. :)

Hello Everyone!

I started the Whole30 journey on June 1. Really feeling encouraged by all the levels of support including my husband who started on the same day.

I have awareness of some bad eating habits which included eating small portions at meal time but grazing and eating throughout the day. I have been at the grocery store much more, but we are really excited about the meals we have been putting together. Will get the book today or tomorrow. Some health issues hoping to see improvement with include high cholesterol, low thyroid and PMDD. 

Cheers!

Nancy

8 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Make sure you're still eating those fruits WITH a meal... there's loads of seasonal fruit available right now but the recommendation still applies that you're not eating it on its own... Are you eating enough fat?  Not eating enough fat can be a trigger for the sugar dragon because it knows how to get easy fuel so if you're not giving it the long burning fat, then it's going to start asking for things it knows about... 

I think I am eating enough fat, but maybe not eating enough overall?  What do you think- this was yesterday (I know I'm not supposed to be snacking- working on that):

Meal1 8:30 prosciutto, coconut, raspberries, coffee

Snack 11:00 pint of strawberries, coffee

Meal2 1:00 borscht

Snack 5:30 2 pieces coconut, coffee

Meal3 8:30 chorizo, steak, sweet potato with ghee, bacon

And breakfast this morning- for portion comparison.  I realize the protein portion is small here, at any other meal I'd eat more protein but I really struggle to eat meat in the morning.  I only ate about half the blackberries.  That big white thing is raw coconut.  The beef and sweet potato is swimming in ghee.

18921673_1870953933159450_88419911514190

12 minutes ago, Georgina2 said:

I think I am eating enough fat, but maybe not eating enough overall?  What do you think- this was yesterday (I know I'm not supposed to be snacking- working on that):

And breakfast this morning- for portion comparison.  I realize the protein portion is small here, at any other meal I'd eat more protein but I really struggle to eat meat in the morning.  I only ate about half the blackberries.  That big white thing is raw coconut.  The beef and sweet potato is swimming in ghee.

18921673_1870953933159450_88419911514190

I am still new to all this but I think the idea is to eat the strawberries with a healthy fat as it lessens the blood sugar spike? And that could then make you feel hungrier or crave more? Also, perhaps allowing the body to not fully shift to fat as fuel instead of sugar?

14 minutes ago, HopingtoHeal said:

I am still new to all this but I think the idea is to eat the strawberries with a healthy fat as it lessens the blood sugar spike? And that could then make you feel hungrier or crave more? Also, perhaps allowing the body to not fully shift to fat as fuel instead of sugar?

Yeah... I intended to have the strawberries with my lunch but they were sitting on my desk warming up (I don't like how they taste cold from the fridge) and they smelled so good...  I will be better today.  I also brought an avocado today since I don't think the borscht has that much fat even though it's oily.  

@Georgina2 I'm also finding fat hard to add. Shops were super low on avocado both days we've shopped and the ones we did buy weren't great and didn't last. I don't like olives although I've tried to eat them many times so that's no use for me either. Today, like yesterday I'm ravenous again despite a huge plate and lunch and dinner. Pictures below and all help welcomed!!!

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG

@HopingtoHeal avocados are so hit and miss. I will buy 8 at a time and sometimes the whole lot of them are bad. So frustrating. What about drizzling oil onto your meal? Or ghee? 

Alright - my wife Nancy is on the forum as well. She is a champ - been cooking some amazing stuff. Doing this together has been fun and makes it easier. We have been cooking together and eating meals together as a family (I am addicted to watching TV at dinner to decompress from my day).

So we had Cod with herbs and coconut milk and roasted veggies for dinner. The cod was a wasted effort - would have been better off just baking it and squeezing lemon on top. Came out bland. Ate a fruit for dessert to complete the meal. So far not feeling any hunger or withdrawal issues. Key is to eat well..... this is about eating well and healthy, not less and starving.

Ate a omelette with 5 different veggies for breakfast and 2 cups of coffee. Feeling good - 5 down 25 to go !!!!!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Georgina2 said:

Okay ya, you're defo not eating enough!  Procuitto is more of a condiment because in order to get 1-2 palms, you'd be eating like $50 worth... Also, there is no veggies in your M1.

M2 is an unknown amount of soup... where's the protein?  Where's the veggies?  Where's the fat?  soup is a tough one because if you want to have it ONLY for a meal, you need to load it up. (btw, I LOVE borscht so I'm coming over with my own spoon!)

M3, no idea how much steak or chorizo you ate but you have no non starchy veggies in this meal (or in the entire day actually).  

Other thoughts... coffee is an appetite suppressant so you may want to ease up on that.  Fruit should not replace veggies, regardless of the season.  You can eat more fruit during summer because it's local, available and seasonal but you still need to eat veggies.

Careful with the giant chunks of coconut, they're tasty but they can cause you no end of digestive problems once you hit your limit... 

Take another look at the template and really try and make your meals match... it's where the magic is.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, HopingtoHeal said:

@Georgina2 I'm also finding fat hard to add. Shops were super low on avocado both days we've shopped and the ones we did buy weren't great and didn't last. I don't like olives although I've tried to eat them many times so that's no use for me either. Today, like yesterday I'm ravenous again despite a huge plate and lunch and dinner. Pictures below and all help welcomed!!!

Okay so what was the salad for?  Was that a side dish to the omlette or was that supposed to be a stand alone meal?  If the latter, where's the protein?  You're probably ravenous because it looks like you're not eating enough.  If you would like help, please post (in words) what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, fruit, fat, protien, workouts, water intake etc... 

Day six and I'm feeling really good.  My energy is coming back which is great.  Hit spin class last night and then again this morning before work.  Made two ny strips last night (cast iron skillet w/ homemade ghee), had one for dinner with a sweet potato and sauteed spinach and arugula.  Had the same thing for breakfast (1/2 a steak) and now I'm eating the same for lunch.  I'm having an egg free day because I don't want to tire of them.  Going to head downstairs to the farmers market for some cucumbers and to see what other interesting things they have at reasonable prices.

Good day!

Good morning, nearly noon, everyone.  I was up and out early as usual.  I only realized now as I sad down to consider lunchtime that I didn't really add fat to my breakfast this morning.  I'm not sure if I should double up on fat at the next meal or if it doesn't really work that way.  

@Georgina2 and anyone else having a problem with fat...I have been using plenty of olive oil, coconut oil, or ghee in the pan whenever I cook something there, and/or add a healthy dollop on my vegetables (about the size of my thumb as instructed).  I now do this with the knowledge that our brains are relearning the use of fat for energy as opposed to sugar!  Which almost killed us!  Always add the fat, on top of your veggies, fish, chicken, etc.  We now HAVE to have it.  In fact, an infnt's brain requires fat to develop and is vital during the first 3 years.

Pissed off ..... ate salad with chicken in the cafeteria and popured a healthy portion of Olive Oil. I find out later that they put Canola Oil in the bottle marked Olive Oil - to save money !!!

Wrecked 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ginsky said:

Good morning, nearly noon, everyone.  I was up and out early as usual.  I only realized now as I sad down to consider lunchtime that I didn't really add fat to my breakfast this morning.  I'm not sure if I should double up on fat at the next meal or if it doesn't really work that way.  

It doesn't really work that way, altho if you skimped breakfast, you may need to eat more in general at lunch :)

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Srini said:

Pissed off ..... ate salad with chicken in the cafeteria and popured a healthy portion of Olive Oil. I find out later that they put Canola Oil in the bottle marked Olive Oil - to save money !!!

Wrecked 

Oh NO!  That's terrible!!  Also, extremely shady .... 

Its so irresponsible. No wonder half the population walks around sick and unhealthy. I lost my cool and yelled at the manager. Now i am wondering what I have been really eating the past 6 years, when I thought i was eating a healthy salad with balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil. 

Will keep going and make this a Whole 35

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Srini said:

Its so irresponsible. No wonder half the population walks around sick and unhealthy. I lost my cool and yelled at the manager. Now i am wondering what I have been really eating the past 6 years, when I thought i was eating a healthy salad with balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil. 

Will keep going and make this a Whole 35

Good for you for having a good attitude (extending) about it and I would have flipped out at the manager also!

I guess the point is to inculcate this into your eating habits for good ...... I actually like eating like this. Motivation for me to start was seeing so much cancer around me. Too many good people I know recently diagnosed. I am 47 and need to get my sh1t together and get healthy. 

1 hour ago, Srini said:

Wrecked 

I thought canola was against recommendation but not against rules.  From everything I've read about canola being allowed (recommended in limited quantities of course) this shouldn't actually wreck your Whole30 unless it had soybean, corn, or peanut oil in it.  It's still very shady of them to do that, what jerks!

@GinskyHere's a picture of the spices with the rice concentrate in it.  I can't believe manufactures switched to that so they could keep it "organic."  The Whole30 is definitely a wakeup call for what manufacturers are doing with food.

image1.JPG

Archived