Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

42 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

It doesn't really work that way, altho if you skimped breakfast, you may need to eat more in general at lunch :)

I had a feeling it wouldn't work that way.  I'll be more careful not to repeat it.  I seem to be doing okay, didn't get hungry before lunch and lunch went well.  I made some rib eye steak with creamy mushroom sauce and ate that with roasted sweet potato.  It was good to use the leftover mushrooms from the other day as well as the other half of the coconut cream.  

For anyone interested, I didn't measure anything or use a recipe.  I pan seared my steak, removed it from the pan to set then sprinkled some balsamic vinegar into the pan, reduced heat a bit since this was a cast iron skillet, added some ghee and thinly sliced onion, then the mushrooms (shitake and maitake because that's what I had), salt, pepper,  herbs de provence (by simply organic), coconut cream.  

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

@GinskyHere's a picture of the spices with the rice concentrate in it.  I can't believe manufactures switched to that so they could keep it "organic."  The Whole30 is definitely a wakeup call for what manufacturers are doing with food.

image1.JPG

It is actually pure luck that this didn't happen to me.  Last time I ran out of chili powder I didn't have time to replace it with organic and just bought what my local grocery store had, one of the non-organic silicone dioxide-using brands.  I kid you not, I just ran out of chili powder and put it on my shopping list.  You saved me from getting the wrong stuff!  I am not sure I would have read the ingredients again to notice the change either.  You're so right about this being such a wake up call.  

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Okay ya, you're defo not eating enough!  Procuitto is more of a condiment because in order to get 1-2 palms, you'd be eating like $50 worth... Also, there is no veggies in your M1.

M2 is an unknown amount of soup... where's the protein?  Where's the veggies?  Where's the fat?  soup is a tough one because if you want to have it ONLY for a meal, you need to load it up. (btw, I LOVE borscht so I'm coming over with my own spoon!)

M3, no idea how much steak or chorizo you ate but you have no non starchy veggies in this meal (or in the entire day actually).  

Other thoughts... coffee is an appetite suppressant so you may want to ease up on that.  Fruit should not replace veggies, regardless of the season.  You can eat more fruit during summer because it's local, available and seasonal but you still need to eat veggies.

Careful with the giant chunks of coconut, they're tasty but they can cause you no end of digestive problems once you hit your limit... 

Take another look at the template and really try and make your meals match... it's where the magic is.

Thanks @SugarcubeOD. Meal1, you are right no veggies. I will work on that. The borscht contained a ton of red cabbage, carrots, and beets plus flank steak.

I tend to focus on starchy veg because of my depression but i will work on getting more green in. I have a lot of allergies which makes it challenging but not impossible. Today for lunch i had salad with lettuce, cucumber, red cabbage, and carrots with two skewers of grilled chicken.

Oh, and my stomach is killing me today so yeah i probably overdid it on the coconut. I haven't had a real one in years and it tasted so good it probably bordered on swypo for me.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Ginsky said:

I thought canola was against recommendation but not against rules.  From everything I've read about canola being allowed (recommended in limited quantities of course) this shouldn't actually wreck your Whole30 unless it had soybean, corn, or peanut oil in it.  It's still very shady of them to do that, what jerks!

Ya, in small infrequent quantities it's fine, but really, when people are doing this for health and to really determine what affects them, the more we leave out ALL the inflammatory items for 30 days the better... 

1 minute ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Ya, in small infrequent quantities it's fine, but really, when people are doing this for health and to really determine what affects them, the more we leave out ALL the inflammatory items for 30 days the better... 

was the first time this whole 30. Thanks for the clarification. Been using Avacado and Olive oil exclusively at home for cooking and baking. 

3 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Okay so what was the salad for?  Was that a side dish to the omlette or was that supposed to be a stand alone meal?  If the latter, where's the protein?  You're probably ravenous because it looks like you're not eating enough.  If you would like help, please post (in words) what you've been eating including portion sizes, specific veggies, fruit, fat, protien, workouts, water intake etc... 

Isn't salmon protein?

Breakfast was the omelette which I made with 3 eggs, an onion, two handfuls of spinach, a tomato and two mushrooms and used ghee in the pan. I also had a coffee with almond milk.

Lunch was the salmon and salad, so that was a palm sized portion of salmon cooked in the oven with lime and chilli and served with lettuce, a handful of spinach, cucumber, 3 radishes, 1 carrot, half a yellow pepper and a tomato. (It filled a dinner plate).

And at 3.30ish I had a tangerine and a closed handful of macadamia nuts.

Today I have drunk 1.5 litres of water so far which is probably not enough.

I haven't worked out at all the last two days.

What I have realised is that in the parts of the day where I was busy leading workshops I didn't once think about whether I was hungry, and I wonder if the ravenous feeling is actually more psychological because both days it has come off of the back of prolonged periods sitting at a desk (which I am not used to and not good at!)

I did walk 3.5 miles on saturday after teaching all day and then 7 miles on Sunday, so also not sure if it's that catching up with me.

Thanks for responding :)

3 hours ago, MrsWinstonSchmidt said:

@HopingtoHEAL wow! I have never thought this about any W30 meal pic, but the egg(?) tomato mushroom thing above the salad? Looks darn good! Palatable! LOL

Aw thanks! I was inspired by the frittata in the whole 30 book but I would say what I made was an omelette, 3 eggs, 1 tomato, 1 onion, 2 fairly large mushrooms and 2 handfuls of spinach. There was spinach cooked in as well as uncooked on top to serve. Enjoyed how it looked just as much as how it tasted!

I went out to eat with my hubby for the first time during my Whole30 journey (on day 26 :D) and ordered a garden salad with a fresh, naked, hot, salmon filet on top. After my initial inquisition, the server claimed they could use olive oil to cook the fish; whether this was true or not, I'm fully aware there is no such thing as a "perfect Whole30," especially when ordering out. Once I determined their house guacamole was compliant, (our server was veeeery patient & we tipped her veeeery well) I actually dumped a bunch of the fresh guac on the salad as well - kind of like a salad dressing alternative. Once I mashed everything together, added a little salt & pepper, it was the most delicious and satisfying meal I have ever had. I mean it - this salad changed my life! Simultaneously yummy, filling and flavorful, the Whole30 program has changed the way I read a restaurant menu forever.  Now - I need someone to validate that this is a Whole30 compliant meal so I can order it again! Also - has anyone else used compliant guacamole (or compliant salsa) as a salad dressing alternative? 

@MarnieFabulous, your meal sounds wonderful, congratulations on your great discovery.  

Well it's a good thing my produce delivery is tomorrow.  While I have loads of frozen green beans and spinach in the freezer, I'm down to one yellow squash, an onion, a red skin potato, and two sweet potatoes in the fridge. 

I made a pretty big detour on my way to making dinner.  I was going to be lazy and throw some frozen green beans in the pan to add some tuna but when I reached into the pantry I noticed a jar of green olives and decided I wanted them.  So I ended up making chicken instead.  I brought some chicken broth to room temp, added gelatin and let it sit while I threw some chicken, basil, salt, sliced garlic into a pan.  I added the broth and olives once the chicken was about done.  I let it simmer and reduce, removed the chicken and decided to add some coconut milk and further reduce it so it would be more saucy.  I added a bit of apple cider vinegar to pull it together and match my mood.  That did the trick.  I tossed the chicken back in when the sauce was as thick as I liked and served it to my happy self. I didn't even make green beans, i decided to just go ahead and use the leftover potato, zucchini, squash, and onion that I had shredded for yesterday's hash browns.  I try not to let things get forgotten in the fridge so it's not unusual for me to have half one day and half the next day or even for two meals on the same day.  

7 hours ago, Srini said:

Pissed off ..... ate salad with chicken in the cafeteria and popured a healthy portion of Olive Oil. I find out later that they put Canola Oil in the bottle marked Olive Oil - to save money !!!

Wrecked 

That's friggin RUDE!!!

I'm sorry :/

3 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Yes... yes it is... I glanced at the photo and thought it was a huge glob of thousand island dressing.... my bad!

LOL! That's something I would do :P 

Day 7 feeling good. A little kill all the things. Poor husband and son.

slept like a baby last night. A bit cranky because it's cold in my normally warm/hot place. It's our three weeks of winter. I'll get over it. 

Yoga today too. ❤️

38 minutes ago, Shawnni said:

Can you bake salmon? If so how long? What herbs/spices? 

I usually wrap it in foil and bake at 375 for about 8 or 9 minutes if it's a small 4oz serving.  I vary my choice of oil/fat and seasoning depending on my mood.  Go with however you like it.  You can put a couple thin slices of lemon on and/or under it as well.  I do that with different fish sometimes.  Lemon and dill is one of m favorites, simple but good.

On 6/5/2017 at 1:33 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Sounds great!  It's hard to say if it's enough... I have no idea how much 3 oz is... 3 shots I guess ;)  it's enough if you can get 4-5 hours between meals... eat it, judge your hunger at 2, 3 and 4/5 hours and see how you do.

Hi, @SugarcubeOD ... I didn't realize how much "boredom" eating I was doing before I started W30! At about 2-3 hours, my brain (in its habitual mode) is telling my stomach that it's hungry.  But, I don't think I'm really hungry.  Is there anything other than water that you would suggest when this little demon creeps into the day?

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, C. Page said:

Hi, @SugarcubeOD ... I didn't realize how much "boredom" eating I was doing before I started W30! At about 2-3 hours, my brain (in its habitual mode) is telling my stomach that it's hungry.  But, I don't think I'm really hungry.  Is there anything other than water that you would suggest when this little demon creeps into the day?

Distraction is really all I can offer... if you know you're not hungry and it's just boredom or habit, then you just have to ignore it and keep going... easier said than done of course, but any food item that you eat, even fat or protein is going to keep those habits alive.  water, tea, bath, bed, walk, call a friend, read a book... basically, anything other than eating :)

ok, what I really want is BACON!!!!  I love Applegate sunday bacon and have been eating it for years, but it has sugar or honey in it!  

Does anyone know of a bacon with no sweetner? (and of course no nitrates, nitrites, and other non-compliant additives)

We use Bende bacon.  It's dried, cured and smoked.  Warning, it's made in America but doesn't taste like American bacon really. We buy it from an import store but I'm shocked at a Google search that they carry it at Walmart!  Ingredients: pork salt garlic powder sodium lactate ascorbic acid (vitamin C) sodium nitrate

0f6c7bd9-8ae4-4941-b972-3fc37f5270c6_1.8

Archived