Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

thank you Georgina2!     Sometimes nitrites dont like me, so I have to be careful.

However, after your last reply I googled 'bacon with no sugar or honey' and up came this!!  https://whole30.com/2012/03/whole30-approved-bacon-is-here/

However, its VERY PRICEY but if I get desperate enough I might just have to order some.

...Or just drive over to WalMart!   :P

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nitrates and nitrites are allowed?!  How did I overlook this?  I carry around that sheet in my purse wherever I go and am always referring to it. I've avoided those before the Whole30 and I still wouldn't buy them (in bacon, deli meats, hot dogs, etc.). They are not good for you.  U.S. Wellness and Naked Bacon. I just looked at them recently. U.S Wellness has a $75 minimum order (too much for me just to get compliant bacon) and call me an idiot but I couldn't figure out how to get to my cart on the Naked Bacon website. I figured out how to add items, but couldn't get to it and check out. I emailed them to let them know and haven't heard back. Not good for business but for bacon, I guess I'll wait. 

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

Nitrates and nitrites are allowed?!  How did I overlook this?  I carry around that sheet in my purse wherever I go and am always referring to it. I've avoided those before the Whole30 and I still wouldn't buy them (in bacon, deli meats, hot dogs, etc.). They are not good for you.  U.S. Wellness and Naked Bacon. I just looked at them recently. U.S Wellness has a $75 minimum order (too much for me just to get compliant bacon) and call me an idiot but I couldn't figure out how to get to my cart on the Naked Bacon website. I figured out how to add items, but couldn't get to it and check out. I emailed them to let them know and haven't heard back. Not good for business but for bacon, I guess I'll wait. 

Nitrates and nitrites are not specifically called out in the Whole30 but many many people choose to avoid them anyway, so you're in good company.  Good luck with the bacon, but if you don't figure it out, it's only 30 days ;)

2 hours ago, angiej936 said:

I wanted to make the kalua pulled pork from nom nom but without the bacon I don't know what to sub it with. I already bought the pork. 

I've made it without bacon and it's been fine. You could always try prosciutto if you wanted to use *something*...?

4 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

I've made it without bacon and it's been fine. You could always try prosciutto if you wanted to use *something*...?

I'll try it without. I was looking at other types of pork, including prosciutto but couldn't really find anything conpliant so I just gave up. 

Working hard not to panic eat or hanger eat at present.

coping with bad news and a public event where I'll be publicly acknowledged for something positive I did for the community. Not my cuppa tea :o.

Focusing on breathing, steamed veg, curry powder fried mince and an egg cooked in ghee. Thought 1/4 avo would be too much. Focus, focus, foooocuuuussss. 

16 minutes ago, Shawnni said:

Thought 1/4 avo would be too much.

Definitely not if you're steaming your veg!! Ensuring you eat adequate fat is more likely to prevent you from caving in to panic eating, or to suffer from hanger - fat is satiating & pleasurable - enjoy it!!

3 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Definitely not if you're steaming your veg!! Ensuring you eat adequate fat is more likely to prevent you from caving in to panic eating, or to suffer from hanger - fat is satiating & pleasurable - enjoy it!!

Home from event so proud I didn't eat any of the food that was on offer at the event except one thin slice of watermelon. Even in winter Queensland offers fruit ❤️

Home now, bad news is worse and DH has to fly out for 3 days. Going to just breathe and take it one minute at a time. 

Day 7!

How normal are sleep issues?

I am working out slightly more than normal after starting the diet (was doing 4-5 spin classes a week for a couple of months, did a double yesterday, lots of extra walking w/ the doggo) and I am having trouble staying awake in the evening, but then in the morning I am waking up WAY before my alarm goes off.  Like this morning I woke up at 4:45am and was planning on getting up at 6:00 to take a nice long walk with the dog, cook a nice breakfast, and shower and whatever.  I am drinking caffeine (3-4 cups of coffee) but I switch to herbal teas (no caffeine) along with constant water a little after lunch.  

The food has been mostly going great, I've been planning ahead which is essential.  I had a mood issue yesterday afternoon which I assume was exacerbated by the diet but I can't blame everything on it. 

13 hours ago, katrine77 said:

ok, what I really want is BACON!!!!  I love Applegate sunday bacon and have been eating it for years, but it has sugar or honey in it!  

Does anyone know of a bacon with no sweetner? (and of course no nitrates, nitrites, and other non-compliant additives)

Pederson's has sugar free whole30 compliant bacon.  I've found it at Whole Foods and similar groceries as well as other brands at local organic and gourmet grocery stores.  I recently just bought some sugar free uncured (no sweeterners, no sulfites or nitrites, etc either) from a local grocer, the brand is Garrett Valley.  I've seen other brands before but can't recall names at the moment.  Bring your reading glasses and read lots of labels.

@jiffylush Wow you sound like a powerhouse and seem to be doing all the right things.  Count your blessings with the sleep, some of us haven't slept through the night in years; okay, I'm speaking for myself.  Sounds like maybe you just don't need more sleep than that?  Congratulations on a great start!

@Shawnni Hang in there, you got this!  Not sure what the bad news is that got worse but I see you're going to be alone so keep writing about it, take walks, get busy with that do-it-yourself project, etc.  Be well!

I remembered to toss some black olives into my green beans and ground turkey breakfast this morning before heading out, plus I sauteed them in olive oil rather than steamed them this time.  Fat accomplished.  I probably really needed it because my dog and I got caught in another downpour but at least this time we were a little closer to the car and she was wearing her raincoat.  

@Shawnni, how wonderful that you were being recognized but I am sorry to know there as bad news and stress involved.  I am glad you made it through and hope today is a little better. I know it's hard to increase fat after it's been pounded into us to avoid it.  I still have to keep reminding myself to add a little more fat here and there.    

@jiffylush, I find that I need more magnesium in spite of doing my darnedest to eat a healthy varied diet.  I use Natural Calm brand.  The powdered form does wonders for me when tablets never did.  It really helps me sleep.  I take iodoral as well which super helped me with sleep but not during Whole30 even though I "think" they are compliant.  Better safe than sorry.  I am pretty sure that after taking it consistently, I will be okay with a 30 day break.  

On 5/30/2017 at 10:02 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

You can definitely add a fat to this meal - the bacon counts for some, but I'd probably throw a few olives or a 1/4 avocado on there.  We generally don't count cooking fat as much stays in the pan and unless your coffee is superhumanly strong, the color tells me you didn't use a ton of almond milk.  Bacon normally is considered a fat but this particular kind is more meat than fat, so you could do with a bit more. Looks delish tho!

Well, you're better than me, that is for sure. I scramble three eggs with olive oil, salt & pepper and shove 'em in my mouth at dawn, then grab a banana and a cup of chai tea on my out the door. Yes, I know, this is bad, but I'm working on it. Some days are better than others, no matter how hard I plan. Whatever. Better than the 24oz of Diet Coke and the yummy over-stuffed bagel sandwich I used to lovingly devour every morning as I wondered why my bra strap was DIGGING into my stomach.....

14 hours ago, angiej936 said:

I found bacon at Sprouts that was marked with the Whole30 logo.  I haven't tried it yet, but it wasn't any more expensive than bacon from Safeway/Vons, etc.  If you are having trouble checking out at the Naked Bacon site, it's most likely your browser.  Try Chrome or Firefox if you were using Explorer/Edge.

Just an update:

I'm enjoying my Whole 30. Since I live alone, I can make each recipe last for three meals which makes things a little easier. I actually like meal planning and prep. I know, I must be crazy.

I am still working on the no snacking thing. I have a fast metabolism and some days are better than others. I do feel like adding fat has been helping me, but I'm always starving by hour three after a meal. 

Oh, and I finally tried making mayo, and it worked out perfectly. I didn't have light olive oil, so I mixed regular and avocado oil. I'm not normally a big fan of mayo, but this tastes so much better than the regular stuff. 

Day 7 already.  Heading to a baseball game in a suite no less.  Eating lunch before I go so I can just have water while I'm there (and maybe some fresh fruit if they have any.  This is a BIG test for me.  

24 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Just an update:

I'm enjoying my Whole 30. Since I live alone, I can make each recipe last for three meals which makes things a little easier. I actually like meal planning and prep. I know, I must be crazy.

I am still working on the no snacking thing. I have a fast metabolism and some days are better than others. I do feel like adding fat has been helping me, but I'm always starving by hour three after a meal. 

Oh, and I finally tried making mayo, and it worked out perfectly. I didn't have light olive oil, so I mixed regular and avocado oil. I'm not normally a big fan of mayo, but this tastes so much better than the regular stuff. 

I'm so glad your mayo turned out so to your liking!  Once you get it down, it's nigh impossible to go back to "the regular stuff."  

It could be that you aren't eating big enough meals or at least not big enough portion of one of the meal elements described by the template recommendations.  It might be worth looking into and getting help evaluating your meal portions.  

I live alone too as of last year and definitely enjoy the benefit of easily getting multiple meals from one cooking adventure.  

Good luck, @Lizzard!  

I am stuffed from lunch.  I made eggdrop soup with the rest of my chicken broth, scallions, ginger, chives, 10oz spinach, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and 3 eggs.  I had a small plate of Castelvetrano olives and nuts drizzled with EVOO on the side.  

53 minutes ago, Lizzard said:

I found bacon at Sprouts that was marked with the Whole30 logo.  I haven't tried it yet, but it wasn't any more expensive than bacon from Safeway/Vons, etc.  If you are having trouble checking out at the Naked Bacon site, it's most likely your browser.  Try Chrome or Firefox if you were using Explorer/Edge.

I miss Sprouts!  We don't have one up in our area but when we lived in SoCal it was a great place to go.  It's good to see these stores are carrying compliant bacon.  I'm not obsessed with bacon, but when a recipe calls for it, I like to include it.  Thanks!  And good luck with your baseball game.  Maybe find some carbonated water or something.  That helps me feel like I'm having a little more of an indulgence (especially since there are so many carbonated water alcoholic beverages now!) - if it's the drinks you're concerned about.

Great work everyone! I can't believe its day 7 already.

Had a rough day yesterday. I fluctuated between tired, mad, and sad/weepy. I literally broke down in hysterics when my blender wouldn't work right and my husband declared we need a new one. Luckily for me he has been very understanding and supportive and only teased me a little while researching a new blender. 

Well done everyone on all the good progress! I've turned a corner and not had hanger since yesterday afternoon. Today's meals were so satisfying and not hugely different from yesterday so I think it was all just part of the process for me that I was so hungry and irritable. Today my boss (who didn't know I am on whole 30) commented that I look healthier than she has seen me and that my skin looks really clear, hooray!

i had a doctors appointment this morning to review my metformin prescription (for PCOS not type 2 diabetes) and it was decided that I should stop taking it because I've seen more progress through exercise and through the past week with the changes to my diet - my inflammatory markers are all way down! The doc insisted on weighing me but made sure I closed my eyes and didn't write the numbers down until I had left the room so I haven't cheated! 

Going to bed happy! Week 2 stars tomorrow!

6 hours ago, Jane3797 said:

@Shawnni Hang in there, you got this!  Not sure what the bad news is that got worse but I see you're going to be alone so keep writing about it, take walks, get busy with that do-it-yourself project, etc.  Be well!

Thanks @Jane3797 working very very hard to maintain my focus.  Starting to feel like the poster child for difficult events for 2017.  I'll get there.  I'm not likely to lay down and quit life anytime soon :D:P   DH got a call to say that his nephew took a turn with his heart after having just been OK'd from the cardiologist.  (He's had heart issues since birth)  DH's sister rang hysterical so DH booked himself and his sister a flight to go check on the nephew.  He lost his father (DH's brother-in-law) a week to the day after I lost my Mum.  SO…yeah.  

Anyway, I got 5 1/2 hours of broken sleep, she'll be apples.  Just time to breathe, focus and eat what I have and prep some more for the weekend. 

How are you going?  We've got this!

@ShawnniI just came in from my first time at an Asian store.  They had everything I needed for Ginsky's Thai recipe that I wanted to try...galagal, lime leaves, lemongrass.  I'm unemployed at the moment so find myself knee deep in the Whole30.  I don't say much in the forum but I read everybody's posts from the June 1 start thread.

Wow, very deepest condolences for your recent losses, most particularly Mum.  The world will never be the same without her.  I completely believe we will all be together again in that better place on the other side so keep your chin up.  There is no need to rush there, because now you get to learn how to deal with life without her physical presence.  It is a rite of passage of sorts, although the secret is, she is still with you.

You really do have this program, just keep zeroing in on that bullseye, the winnings are immeasurable.  The whole forum is batting for you and I am here, mostly silently unless you ring my bell.

Jane

I'm winding down from a fun although sweaty evening with friends on aerial silks and lyra.  We got a new double lyra so naturally I'm sure I've overdone it and will pay for it tomorrow and especially Friday.  I think we all will.  I don't care, it was fun!  I had dinner before I went, simple rib eye steak and salad with black olives.  I had some more when I got home and am about to hit the shower before bed.  

Hooray, we've made it through our first week and are charging fiercely into week 2!  Bring it.

Archived