Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

I am starting today after a mini vacation in Chicago this past weekend.  I feel gross and just need to get started.  My husband and 17 year old daughter are being drug along in this journey with me.  Possibly kicking and screaming.   I think the couple we went to Chicago with are going to be starting today as well. I have nothing compliant in my house except eggs so that is what I will be having for breakfast and then I am making a shopping trip to my local grocery store. Will get to Trader Joe's tomorrow or the next day. My local grocery store has a fabulous meat counter  but I don't see anything about it being organic or anything. But wouldn't the bacon and everything behind the case that I have to buy it by the pound be nitrate free and stuff? I guess I can just ask them. But anyways , good luck everybody we can do this.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I are starting today as well.    I'm the one who usually cooks so i spent a lot of time yesterday getting things cooked in preparation knowing today and Wednesday would be long days at work after coming back from a holiday.   I'm not generally a breakfast eater, but I made a breakfast casserole that I can quickly heat up in the morning.   I had all my lunch packed last night so I actually had extra time this morning.  

The best advice is to keep your meals simple. It doesn't need to be a broadway production every time. Stick to what works for you. I'm a fan of meals that include left overs for easy meal planning, but I also keep a list of what I can eat if I forgot to plan ahead. I think it's a good idea to keep ready to go proteins pre-made such as hard boiled eggs combined with veggies, a fat (such as nuts or avocado) and a fruit. Just throw it into a sandwich bag. It doesn't need to be glamorous, but it should meet the meal template guidelines. 

Hi everyone,

Wanted to hop on the bandwagon as I am also planning to start June 1st! I joined the Real Plans site today to start planning out my meals. I think my biggest struggle will be when I need to travel for work and won't have access to my own kitchen for prepping/cooking meals. That will be a whole week of eating out, not by choice :-/ But I have completed one Whole30 in the past so I have faith in myself I can do it again, even with the week of travel. Fortunately NYC (where my work trip will be) has a number of options to stay Whole30 compliant.

This time around though, I want to incorporate more exercise into my Whole30. The first time I did it, I was so focused on just the nutrition aspect that I didn't exercise much. I'd love to see what the combo of both do for my results. And also making smarter choices about the nutrition (fewer nuts, better balanced plate, less snacking). 

Excited to see where this journey takes us!

9 hours ago, Trev said:

Looks like a great start well done! Can I ask, what did you use for your cooking fat? 

I used olive oil here but we bought some ghee last night - have never used it before so not really sure what to expect there! Waiting for an opportunity to try it out when my husband is in as well - he did professional cookery at college so he is handy in these situations! :lol:

5 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You can definitely add a fat to this meal - the bacon counts for some, but I'd probably throw a few olives or a 1/4 avocado on there.  We generally don't count cooking fat as much stays in the pan and unless your coffee is superhumanly strong, the color tells me you didn't use a ton of almond milk.  Bacon normally is considered a fat but this particular kind is more meat than fat, so you could do with a bit more. Looks delish tho!

Thanks SugarcubeOD! I was thinking avocado would have been a good one - I was never much of an avocado eater until this week when I decided I better get myself used to eating them because I think they will be whole30 staples!

It was really tasty, has definitely helped me feel a bit more confident about what is to come when I start properly on Thursday!

Due to a planned move at the end of the month, my start date is today. This is my second whole30; I completed my first back in February, but due to the death of my stepdad and my impending graduation I fell off the healthy rails these past few months.  Now I'm ready to do this thing again and actually be apart of the forum this go around. 

Hi everyone...I plan to start 6/1 TOO!  This will be my 2nd whole 30 and I am more than ready to feel better and see if I can eliminate some allergies.

Love the support we all get in the forum.  Still have some prep to do too.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, RockinRobinVSG said:

I am starting today after a mini vacation in Chicago this past weekend.  I feel gross and just need to get started.  My husband and 17 year old daughter are being drug along in this journey with me.  Possibly kicking and screaming.   I think the couple we went to Chicago with are going to be starting today as well. I have nothing compliant in my house except eggs so that is what I will be having for breakfast and then I am making a shopping trip to my local grocery store. Will get to Trader Joe's tomorrow or the next day. My local grocery store has a fabulous meat counter  but I don't see anything about it being organic or anything. But wouldn't the bacon and everything behind the case that I have to buy it by the pound be nitrate free and stuff? I guess I can just ask them. But anyways , good luck everybody we can do this.

Yeah definitely don't assume that just because something is behind glass that it's compliant. You need to watch for things like carrageenan, soy, wheat flour, forms of sugar in these types of items, not just nitrates (which incidentally are not ruled out, it's sulphites/sulfites that are ruled out).

I am starting on June 1st as well.  I have found that I have been obsessed with sugar lately and it's time to cleanse my body and reset.  This looks like a program I can manage.  I'm a little scared of the caffeine withdrawal as I am not a black coffee drinker.  Maybe I can tolerate a compliant tea. 

My husband and I years ago went camping often with friends.  One time everybody forgot sugar and milk.  I somehow got the blame but suffered as much as everyone else in withdrawal drinking black coffee.  At that moment I decided I would never again allow a substance to dominate me.  I drank my coffee black no sugar for the longest time after that. For you, to ween off caffeine at the same time as starting this program might be a set up for failure, given you'll be doing that with many other substances.  How about green tea, which has caffeine but is alkaline and much healthier?

Hi folks! I am committing to my second Whole 30, starting June 1st. It's been a couple years, and I have backslid badly. I'm 64 and have put on weight and lost muscle tone because I got lazy and quit exercising (even though I ran my first half-marathon in January). So I am gung-ho and looking forward to getting and giving support here! Cleaning out pantry and buying my groceries tomorrow, and breaking out my Whole 30 recipes.

On 29/05/2017 at 5:51 PM, Kaylee1 said:

Hi everyone

I'm planning on starting this Thursday as well! I'm so glad to have so much company.

I'm Jewish, and we have a holiday on Wednesday. The custom is to eat dairy food, cheesecakes and similar. So I decided I wouldn't make things extra hard for myself and I'll start the next day. 

I had Gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy (my baby is 4 months), and my sugar has stayed high afterwards. So I really need to reset my body with healthy choices and hopefully build good new habits for myself.

It's been hard to do prep with other preparation for the holiday, plus it's my daughter's birthday today. But I don't want to push off my starting day, especially with so many others starting at the same time.

Can't wait to get started!

Good plan Kaylee1.  Yes, enjoy your holiday. <3  I hope this works out really well for you and the rest is beneficial.  Maybe you can purchase some compliant foods to have and prep on the same day.  A bit full on but maybe it will work. :)

18 hours ago, HopingtoHeal said:

My biggest challenge is making time in the morning for breakfast! I have never been a morning person and it's only in the past year that I have committed to having breakfast every morning (although not very nutritious!!!!). So the biggest challenge will be being up and making time to eat properly. I had a trial run this morning which went well but I know there will be mornings where I struggle. I have spread my hours at work over an extra day so I don't need to start until a little later so that should help and I also plan to keep some hard boiled eggs and veg sticks always in the fridge so that if I need to grab and run then I can.

I've attached a wee pic of my trial run, I'm not sure if I am lacking in healthy fat though? I obviously used cooking fat for the eggs and then had some unsweetened, compliant almond milk in my coffee? Thoughts are gratefully received!

w30 practice.jpg

This looks SO yum and so inviting!  I used to forgo breakfast but then I would get the "hangries" and be incredibly moody if I didn't eat.  (Unfortunately, I'm getting back into that habit only it is with lunch now)  Years ago I had a personal trainer ask me what I would say to my little children if they said they didn't want to eat - it's about nourishment so I've tried to make a positive change.  I hope you can find a happy medium for a breakfast meal. Let me know how you are going with it. :)

2 hours ago, Jane3797 said:

My husband and I years ago went camping often with friends.  One time everybody forgot sugar and milk.  I somehow got the blame but suffered as much as everyone else in withdrawal drinking black coffee.  At that moment I decided I would never again allow a substance to dominate me.  I drank my coffee black no sugar for the longest time after that. For you, to ween off caffeine at the same time as starting this program might be a set up for failure, given you'll be doing that with many other substances.  How about green tea, which has caffeine but is alkaline and much healthier?

I tend to agree with you here Jane.  I was a milk and sugar girl in my coffee years ago (3 or 4 now) and I tried to stop drinking it and do my Whole 30 at the same time.  The pain I had was well.... bad. I went back using variations of coconut milk, almond milk, bullet coffees etc and it was just terrible, somehow I managed to just drink coffee black.  I still do.  If I have a latte now my tummy pays the price.  

I hope you can find a happy medium with the coffee @Lizzard

Welcome to all the new comers!  How exciting! :)@RockinRobinVSG @MikeW @kgj204 @HopingtoHeal @SommerM @4Donna @Lizzard @LesTodd

Curious if anyone starts in about 8 1/2 hours from this post?  I'm in Australia - remote Queensland - and so I'm usually a day ahead of some people :) 

I need food - it's 2:30 pm and I haven't had any lunch yet. :( Time to get with it.

I'll also be joining in starting officially on the 1st!  I technically started today but my husband will also be joining me on the 1st, thus the "official" start.  This will be my 5th W30 and my first this year.  I last completed a W30 in March of 2016 and had fantastic results.  I felt great, my skin was clear, and mentally I was the best that I have ever been.  Over the past 9 months or so, I've been really struggling mentally with food and restarted counting macros which has triggered my disordered eating behavior and negative self talk to come back with a vengeance.  My goal for this next month is to just nourish my body with healthy whole foods and to work on how I'm speaking to myself in my head.  I've deleted myfitnesspal off of my phone already so that I cannot just mindlessly track my food when I get stressed or anxiety.  I actually have to re-install the app.  I've also put my bathroom scale in the outside storage so that it's a huge effort to dig it out.  It sounds silly, but I'm not ready to just throw it away yet.  Hopefully I'll get there in the future though.

On 5/27/2017 at 1:42 PM, Jane3797 said:

Wow I am so happy to have so many others starting on June 1.  I started out reading The Whole30 and got side-tracked into googling breakfast recipes.  Then I got back to the book and came across so many recipes in there.  This is a library book but I am going to have to buy it.  Unless someone can recommend a better compilation?  Like the actual book of recipes?  I looked into RealPlans but am not sure this will be necessary; however I may try it later.  I put a picture of the meal template on my refrigerator as well as a chart I got through googling showing 3 categories of fruits and vegetables according to their FODMAP rating of Safe, Be Careful, Avoid to further improve my food choices.  I also put a picture of a younger me, healthier, happier, and in better form to utilize the 'vision board' concept.  

I got my supplies, both pantry and fresh, and starting today will be cooking and freezing or otherwise preserving some of these vegetables.  (Some will survive for quite a while in a pitcher of water in the fridge.). Last but not least I am reorganizing my kitchen because of limited counter space and I have noticed an increase in washing dishes, etc.  not complaining but want to get a jump on that.

I found a really neat explanation of the difference of the body utilizing fat as energy versus a higher carb traditional diet utilizing glucose.  I will upload the file from my phone in a few.

Have fun!

Jane3797

@Jane3797 There is a Whole30 Cookbook - you can get it on Amazon it's affordable and full of great recipes.  I plan my meals on Saturday and cook on Sunday for the week ahead.

I am starting Round 2 on June 1st.  I've tried to start R2 about a dozen times and keep falling off the wagon but I'm determined to make it work this time.  I had a ton of NSVs with R1 and I lost most of them when I went off the rails afterwards; I want to get them back!

26 minutes ago, Jane3797 said:

@Georgina2

.Georgina thanks for the info...what are NSVs?

Non-scale victories.  It talks about them in the book; things like clearer skin, better sleep, better digestion, less inflammation, more energy... etc.  

Time for me to do another Whole30. 

My best resource?  Any book by Mel Joulwan but especially her "Well Fed Weeknights".  Most excellent and helps immensely in terms of organizing a week.  One of the first chapters includes a cookup that literally took me slightly less than an hour on a Sunday afternoon and I had the basics for most meals the next 5-6 days. 

Good luck everyone!  It's totally do-able and totally worth it.

1 hour ago, Georgina2 said:

I am starting Round 2 on June 1st.  I've tried to start R2 about a dozen times and keep falling off the wagon but I'm determined to make it work this time.  I had a ton of NSVs with R1 and I lost most of them when I went off the rails afterwards; I want to get them back!

@Georgina2, likewise.   I did great a few years back on a Whole30 but since then just having these false starts. Mostly because I like my wine too much and my husband doesn't do this either (and sees no issues with tempting me, the slug).  I just have to ignore both for now! 

On 5/28/2017 at 6:39 AM, Jahupla said:

I will be starting June 1 as well!  I'm excited, although realistic that I will struggle many days with the elimination of grains, cheese, and wine.  I won't be able to clear out my cupboards because my husband and daughter still want the crackers, breads, and dairy in the house.  I'm worried about my ability to bypass them on the difficult days!

@Jahupla, when i did my first Whole30 I separated all the non compliant items to shelves that were still easily accessible to my daughter. That was enough to help me focus on the other shelves of things that I could have.  It was easy to train myself to ignore "her" shelves and she didn't mind the reorganization especially since every item on EVERY shelf was available to her.  I was the only one banned from certain shelves of the pantry and fridge.  lol  

Archived