Start date June 1st

Heatherhms

Alrighty, I'm definitely still feeling the irritability today, it's kind of like a slow simmer going on.  I had Buffalo style wings with mayo and a big side of spaghetti squash for breakfast but then wanted to get up and scream in the middle of acupuncture because someone nearby was very loudly and randomly snoring so it remained a jolting experience each time as it had no rhythm or predictability.  LOL  I managed to somewhat keep my cool and everyone made it out alive.  

@cristinamt, I know, there's a lot of activity but it's great that so many issues are coming up and being addressed.  I'm learning a lot from other's posts and from the responses others give to their posts.  I love it and i definitely love the spirit of support!    

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folks!

I also started the Whole30 on June 1st.  Keep up the great work everyone!  I bought the Whole30 cookbook and am pretty excited for my lunch - I made the Italian Pot Roast in the crock pot yesterday and have all of the leftovers packed up to make a ragout, tacos, and breakfast.  What is anyone doing for breakfast meals?

I started on June 1 also!  I did this last june and felt great!  Since then I have been off and on with bread, lattes, beer, wine,legumes, cheese, etc.  these are the things I wish didnt exist.  I inevitably fall completely away from clean eating with these around.  And the weight gain!! OMG.

So, day five and I feel really good.  but I usually feel really good when I get back on the paleo way.  No side effects for me ever.

One thing that is hard for me is cooking.  I am 65 y.o., raised 4 kids, been cooking and cooking my whole life.  Im over it.  Just recently realized how much I dislike cooking..no really...  a little late, but its the truth!

and I need some ideas for breakfast!  I love overeasy eggs and can eat them every day, but what veggies to go with?  besides my standby Sweet potato home fries (Yam, onion, pepper, greens like spinach, kale, etc)

thanks to everyone for being here!  I'm gonna go back and read what Ive missed so far in this forum.  (prolly shoulda done that first)  :P

The more the merrier?

I also started on the 1st, and this is my 3rd time doing Whole30.  The first time was great but I had trouble the second time and ended up stopping at 28 days.

Today is day five and things have been progressing as expected.  There was some difficulty with lunch today but having stuff prepared really helped out.  We had lunch brought into the office and I ordered what would have been a compliant chef salad (nitrate but they covered it in cheese and instead of picking it out and doing "good enough" I gave it to someone else and went to town on the frittata (local pastured eggs, onions, green peppers, and boston butt, then covered in jalapeno verde) I brought to work to have on hand.

On Saturday I had hoped to do two back to back spin classes (RPM) but due to the low energy on day three I was struggling towards the end of the 1st class and decided to forgo the second one.  I did walk all over the neighborhood with the dog on Saturday (+4 miles and a DIY bath at the new pet store), then Sunday we walked to the park with a book and a blanket and had a really nice time.

I am in a weight loss competition at work that will run for three months, my goal is to win but I will be happy with just being able to lose weight and keep it off during the summer.  My initial weigh-in was 237 fully clothed (ouch!), I'm 6'4 and 43 years old.

One advantage I have (in addition to being able to enjoy black coffee) is that I am an alcoholic and have been sober for five and a half years so not being able to drink on the diet doesn't affect me at all.

@Jane3797, I'm not sure which recipes you mean.  I will usually name the book or blog if I used a recipe for a dish but I cook most often without any recipe and without measuring ingredients.  

@kbereilly, congratulations on your great start.  Leftovers are awesome, total lifesaver on days when you just don't want to cook.  It's almost as easy as having someone else cook for you, maybe better since you know what's in it for sure.  I don't always follow breakfast/lunch/dinner traditions when it comes to what I eat.  I often have typical "dinner" meals first thing in the morning and might have eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, etc at any time of the day.  Heck, this morning I made buffalo wings and spaghetti squash.  You don't have to be confined to breakfast foods for breakfast if you're looking for variety to replace old grain-filled breakfast habits.  

@katrine77 I like squash with eggs.  Sometimes I'll cut an acorn squash in half, scoop the seeds, line it with spinach and crack and egg into it then bake it.  or I'll cut it into rings, bake, then remove and drop into a hot pan to crack the egg into the middle for frying.  I also like to julienne zucchini and yellow squash with potatoes (onions, whatever seasonings, etc) for hash browns.  At this point though, I'll eat any veggie or salad on the side with eggs.  

@jiffylush, amazing job on being prepared for the potential lunch disaster. Congratulations on your 5 years sober!  I always hear about people having weight loss competitions.  I'm curious, do they go by pounds or by percentage lost?  

(Edited to add) Oh my forgetful brain, I came on here to ask something and then forgot what I was doing.  lol

For lunch I made steamed green beans with baked salmon covered in a lemon coconut cream sauce.  I used about 3oz of coconut cream (comes in a small little can labeled as such instead of skimming the cream/fat off the top of can of coconut milk), lemon zest, scallion, and juice of the same lemon I zested.  My question though, is about the cream.  What that enough fat?  Does it matter that I reduced it in the saucepan to get a thicker sauce?

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Ginsky said:

For lunch I made steamed green beans with baked salmon covered in a lemon coconut cream sauce.  I used about 3oz of coconut cream (comes in a small little can labeled as such instead of skimming the cream/fat off the top of can of coconut milk), lemon zest, scallion, and juice of the same lemon I zested.  My question though, is about the cream.  What that enough fat?  Does it matter that I reduced it in the saucepan to get a thicker sauce?

Sounds great!  It's hard to say if it's enough... I have no idea how much 3 oz is... 3 shots I guess ;)  it's enough if you can get 4-5 hours between meals... eat it, judge your hunger at 2, 3 and 4/5 hours and see how you do.

37 minutes ago, Ginsky said:

@jiffylush, amazing job on being prepared for the potential lunch disaster. Congratulations on your 5 years sober!  I always hear about people having weight loss competitions.  I'm curious, do they go by pounds or by percentage lost?  

It is by percentages.  The initial weigh-in was on May 31st.  At the end of June we will all put in $25 and the person that has lost the highest percentage gets the pot, the 2nd place person gets their money back.  Same thing at the end of July.  Then at the end of August we all put in $50 and it's winner take all by percentage over the whole competition.

There are 10 people and we are very competitive so we should be able to stay motivated throughout and really lose a good bit.  I had two of the other guys in the competition join me doing Whole30.  I did this to have people to commiserate with in person, and because the point is for us to lose weight and get healthier and I want them to succeed in that.  That being said, I could see some peanut m&ms or doughnuts randomly appearing on people's desks towards the end of the competition.  Like I said we are very competitive.

@Ginsky sorry for the inconvenience but I did not see a reference for the specific meals that peaked my interest.  I did search before I responded but am not finding my way around the forum so well.  I was referring to your chilis, the silky ginger zucchini soup and the Asian meal the name of which I can't exactly recall but something like Tom Mai --- ?  I am sure that was way off but all of these have been mentioned in the last week.  Thanks for your trouble.

@kbereilly  I was advised to google Whole30 breakfasts which I did and literally got lost in link upon link of compliant and delicious meals.  Many will tell you too to learn to enjoy lunches and dinner type meals for breakfast as well.

13 minutes ago, Jane3797 said:

@Ginsky sorry for the inconvenience but I did not see a reference for the specific meals that peaked my interest.  I did search before I responded but am not finding my way around the forum so well.  I was referring to your chilis, the silky ginger zucchini soup and the Asian meal the name of which I can't exactly recall but something like Tom Mai --- ?  I am sure that was way off but all of these have been mentioned in the last week.  Thanks for your trouble.

Okay, the Chili I made was the chocolate chili recipe from Well Fed, page 73.  The soup was silky gingered zucchini soup from Well Fed 2, page 206.  

The tom kha gai (chicken coconut soup) was made without a recipe.  I didn't measure anything but there are recipes all over the internet.  I'm pretty sure the only non-compliant ingredient in most standard recipes is soy sauce so you can just use coconut aminos wherever the recipe calls for that and omit sugar if anyone is using that in theirs.  There's probably whole30/paleo recipes for it out there.  I made mine with some chicken broth I had already made earlier in the week, coconut milk, fresh lemongrass, fresh ginger root, sliced mushrooms, coconut aminos, fish sauce, lime, and chicken.  I usually add a little curry paste and cilantro but didn't have any and it was just fine without it.  I didn't even use a dash of chili to compensate since I thought it tasted great as it was.  I think I added scallions, didn't feel like slicing onion and dealing with my eyeballs trying to exit my skull via waterfall since I already went through that in the morning chopping onions for my chili.  I was being a little bit lazy last night.

Hello! I have been reading along but not said hello for a few days. I seem to have escaped the hangover/headaches/withdrawaland over the weekend was FULL of energy (walked 3.5 miles after work on Saturday and then 7 miles after church yesterday) but today has been really hard! By lunchtime I was ravenous but had some butternut squash soup and 2 hard boiled eggs with me. A participant in my community drama class brought cake to have with tea today and I managed to avoid it but it's the first I've felt I was "missing out". By 3.15pm I was feeling pretty tired and when I got home just before 5pm I was ravenous for dinner. Cue a message from husband to say he was held up at work and had missed the bus so I went to pick him up two villages away where he could get a bus to sooner than wait for the next one to our village. Unfortunately this meant passing by our "go to" takeaway. When we got home husband had two slice of toast and butter while I made dinner and I burst into tears. The great feeling over the weekend seems to have disappeared, hoping it's back tomorrow! One of my colleagues even told me I was glowing on Saturday! Naively I thought I had managed to skip the rotten bits! 

On the plus side, we made bone broth with the chicken bones left over from Sunday's roast chicken and it smells AMAZING can't wait to make soup tomorrow!!!

hello to all the new members on the thread! Love this wee community!

Welcome back, @HopingtoHeal, I'm glad to see you're still on track.  I suppose there was bound to be some bad days eventually but as you get later into the Whole30 there are far more good days than bad and even that bad aren't so bad.  

I just made zucchini, yellow squash, onion, and potato hash browns with a serving of chocolate chili on top and a dollop of mayo on the side.  I'm feeling pretty well satisfied.  

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:43 AM, cristinamt said:

Yesterday was great. I mean, really good until the end of the evening before bedtime. I was a little hungry, and thought I would have a few cashews. I ate them. I did not read the label, but if I did - I would see they were made with peanut oil. One tiny, unintentional oops is bringing me back to the beginning today. 

Lesson: read those labels, all the time. 

I just did the exact same thing.  At work in dispensers we have almonds, cashews and trail mix.  I thought of course, the almonds and cashews should be just fine.  I popped a cashew in my mouth (ONE cashew) on the way back to my desk then thought, these are salted, I wonder if there's something else lurking in there.  So I go back and look and yes, PEANUT OIL.  I almost wanted to cry.  I'm only on my 3rd day so I guess it's not like it would be a big deal if I had to start over, but I'm not going to say that I am.  I gave up too much over those few days to start over.  So instead of saying I'm starting back at Day 1, I'm going to extend my days so instead of being done on July 2 I'll be done on July 4.  I really wonder how many people actually do mess up but don't really realize it.  I was preparing chili yesterday and when I took out the organic chili powder from my cabinet it said rice concentrate on it and I thought really?!  It's organic chili powder!  How could their be a non-Whole30-compliant ingredient in a simple spice.  Ugh.  I had to improvise.

3 minutes ago, Ginsky said:

@angiej936, what brand of chili powder had rice concentrate in it?  Also, I'm sorry about the nut trickery, it's not unusual though for peanut oil to sneak into other nuts, I'm sorry you found out after the fact.  

It's Simply Organic (same with Simply Organic garlic salt).

13 minutes ago, angiej936 said:

It's Simply Organic (same with Simply Organic garlic salt).

I've never seen that on any of their labels.  I'm going to keep an eye out now.  I wonder if this is a recent change?

@Ginsky - I'll post a picture of what I have when I get home.  What's interesting is if you look at the label on Amazon, it's not there.  But when you look at the ingredients list in the description, it's there.

https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Organic-Certified-2-89-Ounce-Container/dp/B00269XE0Q/ref=sr_1_1_a_f_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1496703102&sr=8-1&ppw=fresh&keywords=simply%2Borganic%2Bchili%2Bpowder&th=1

"Ingredients

Organic Chili Powder, Organic Cumin, Organic Oregano, Organic Coriander, Organic Garlic, Organic Rice Concentrate, Organic Allspice, Organic Cloves."

And I just checked, the Simply Organic garlic salt on Amazon doesn't show that it has it either.

I just found an article online that says manufactures started replacing the silicone dioxide with the organic rice concentrate to keep the labeling consistently organic.  Lame!  Now I'm going to be paranoid whenever I run out of something that I won't be able to replace it anymore.  I can't have rice even when I'm not doing Whole30.  

And now that you mention it, I looked on Amazon and see what you mean but then I did a search and if you scroll down to the Important Information below the description, it lists the up to date ingredients.  I can't believe they still display the old label though, they have to realize that's what people will be looking at and believing.  Lame!  

This is the article I found explaining that spice companies were more or less forced to use the rice instead of the silicone dioxide if they wanted to keep the organic label on their products.  http://www.foodengineeringmag.com/articles/92430-manufacturers-replace-silicon-dioxide-with-organic-rice-hulls  

It hasn't made it's way into my house yet but I may have to give up organic on some things if I can't find rice-free organic brands.  Luckily, most things are just the ground spice and no flowing agent. 

7 hours ago, Ginsky said:

I like squash with eggs.  Sometimes I'll cut an acorn squash in half, scoop the seeds, line it with spinach and crack and egg into it then bake it.  or I'll cut it into rings, bake, then remove and drop into a hot pan to crack the egg into the middle for frying.  I also like to julienne zucchini and yellow squash with potatoes (onions, whatever seasonings, etc) for hash browns.  At this point though, I'll eat any veggie or salad on the side with eggs.  

Thank you, Ginsky!  those sound like great ideas!  Especially the hash brown zucchini and squash!  I keep thinking vegetables HAVE to be green and that is not true!

That's really frustrating about the spices. I wouldn't think to check a regular spice although i do check blends. 

I'm still really tired and the sugar Dragon is killing me this round when it didn't really bother me last time. I'm finding myself eating a lot more fruit; part of that is seasonal because berries are available and they are pretty much the only raw fruit i can eat so i always have lots in June/July. But just in general I'm craving sweet way more than usual.

10 hours ago, cristinamt said:

@Ginsky sorry, my mistake. I can't keep up on this huge thread. 

@cristinamtI'm totally feeling what you're saying there!  I feel like I'm unintentionally ignoring some people but it's only because I can't keep up! LOL :) It's ok to make mistakes. :) 

@Ginsky it does sound delicious, I'll have to check out a recipe and then go to the "Big Smoke" and buy coconut amino's.  

I have a bit of a challenge coming up.  A weekend away with the gentlemen in my life or 2 of the 4.  We are just going to the beach to get way but It will require me to take all my food with me or purchase it when we get near the beach.  we have a house there so cooking won't be an issue but new car, much smaller space, trying to fit everything in and a sometimes not always understanding husband.   I'm sure I can work this out.   Time to start planning and time for lunch here too.  

Chicken Veggie soup, although I'm not sure what fat I will have with that.... it was cooked with coconut oil.  Any ideas? 

Archived