White Potatoes?

I am deciding what to eliminate to hopefully control bloating.  Someone suggested avocado, which I am trying now.  I have a question about white potatoes, which are next on the hit list if necessary.  All potatoes are banned on the nightshades list (on this website, the egg-free/nightshades shopping list).  Only sweet potatoes are mentioned on the low FODMAP list, and they are OK.  No mention of white potatoes.

My question is, if I eliminate potatoes next, does that mean all potatoes, or just white ones?  Does it depend on whether I think the issue is nightshades or FODMAP?

Thanks.

White potaoes are a nightshade.

Sweet potatoes are a high FODMAP food.

FODMAPs (which Avocado is) tend to cause some bloating. The nightshades tend to cause other kinds of symptoms - often headaches & rashes.

IIRC I'd suggested you remove the white potatoes because you mention headaches  & skin issues, but you later clarified (& I understood when I re-read your post slowly, rather than skim reading!) that those were some of your side effects with gluten, so I'd stick with the avocado first & see how you go.

Thanks.  

Actually, sweet potatoes are listed as fine (a best choice, even) on the FODMAP list, so aren't they a low FODMAP food?  White potatoes are not mentioned at all on the FODMAP list, which is why I am wondering.

The nightshades list is a little confusing.  First it says that all potatoes are out.  Then it lists sweet potatoes/yams as OK.  From looking around the web, it seems to me that sweet potatoes are not nightshades.

White potatoes are not a high FODMAP food but they ARE a nightshade.

Sweet potatoes are a moderately high FODMAP food but are NOT a nightshade.

The W30 low FODMAP shopping list isn't the best of resources to be honest. Check out >this list< (scroll down the page to see the full list rather than the snippet at the top of the page) for better info on FODMAPs and if you think they are your issue then eat from the green list only.

I hope this clarifies the  'potato' thing for you! :)

Thanks!  That is a great chart.  

But, wow, it's a big list of foods to avoid. :(  I hope eliminating avocados, and then maybe white potatoes does the trick.  Otherwise, I will have to try low-FODMAP foods for a while.

Just to clarify - my suggestion of eliminating white potatoes was based on your comment on having headaches & a rash - since these were actually a side effect of you eating gluten & not potatoes then my gut instinct would be that avocado is your problem, which MAY mean eliminating FODMAPs, but NOT white potatoes. And having lived a low FODMAP life for quite some time I can assure you that whilst it can be a little daunting it's perfectly do-able!

Yep, I understand.  I"m not sure why I was hanging on to the elimination of white potatoes--probably in denial from reading the big low-FODMAP list. ;)  I don't think it's nightshades either, after reading more about them.   

I'm glad to hear low-FODMAP do-able--I think I'm heading in that direction--I cut out cruciferous vegetables last week and the bloating got better, but didn't go away.  

Also, we have been out of kimchi for a couple of weeks, which I normally eat every day, so I just remedied that. :)

Maybe it will be an easy fix and I'll have a great Day 31 report on Saturday.  

Archived