We are starting on on May 24th

TNVixie

My husband, 22 yo daughter,and I are beginning the Whole 30 this Wednesday, May 24th. I completed the Whole 30 two years ago and felt so much better physically. But it's been awhile and I have slipped into bad habits, and they have both expressed a need to feel better and that part of their issue is food. My husband has various health issues, including an obvious sugar addiction. My daughter is healthy but is a professional dancer and wants to remain healthy.

I'm looking forward to finding help and encouragement on the forum.

@TNVixie there's nothing wrong with wanting a little restart. In fact, I crave it when my eating habits get a little crazy. Since you're getting ready for another round of Whole 30, perhaps think back of what worked so well for you then. Maybe it was sticking to tried and true recipes, or finding a local accountability buddy or being an active member on the forum. If the going gets tough, just remember that tomorrow is a new opportunity. Don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake. Move forward.

I am also starting on Wednesday 5/24. I was hoping that yesterday would be a good day to start but I guess I needed a few more days of prep. I really hope that my husband sees the health benifits that I will be getting from this and joins me. He loves his noodles (or noods as he calls them) waaaaaay too much. He also is reluctant to give up his tortilla shells and he really doesn't want to give up his popcorn (homemade popcorn only). He is supportive though and is willing to try some of the recipes. A little at a time I guess.

Me too! This will be my third Whole30 but also the first one I've completed on my own which I think will be easier in some ways and harder in others.

I'm nearly at the end of day one now -- just dinner to go - and so far so good, though I have a tiny headache and an enormous amount of hunger, combined they're enough to make me head straight home from work and skip my workout in favour of eating sooner.

Good luck everyone!

Today is day 2, so I look forward to sharing this experience with y'all!! That's really cool your whole family is on board. I've tried in the past to convince my family to adopt a healthier lifestyle with me, but had very little succsss. I'm hoping that at the end of this I can inspire them to ditch their bad habits as well! Best of luck to all of you!

How was day one everyone?

Getting up this morning was hard (more than normal!) but this afternoon I feel better than I did yesterday afternoon. I also had the most amazing breakfast, a two egg omelette with fried peaches and coconut yoghurt. I don' t like many vegetables, I already found ways to incorporate them at lunch and dinner (to avoid scurvy), but grateful for any ideas on how to get veggies at breakfast!

@LeeCrew it's so great that your Whole 30 is off to a fantastic start. I noticed you said you had coconut yogurt. But is coconut yogurt complaint? I'm not sure. I haven't had fried peaches before, but I find peaches in their natural state to be the best. I can only imaging what frying does. I'm sure the peaches would be sticky sweet, channeling my inner sugar dragon – but that's just me. Oh, and an easy way to get in more veggies at breakfast is to sauté with spices or drizzle with a bit of compliant salad dressing for flavor.

It's coconut milk, yogurt culture and tapioca starch (I've linked a discussion of it I found elsewhere on the forum).

I thought before buying it, but in the end decided in favour because: all the ingredients are compliant and yoghurt is not a food with no brakes for me but it is an important source of probiotics as I don't like fermented foods and am allergic to caffeine so can't have kombucha.

Fried peaches are delicious! Though I only fried these ones as they were a little under ripe so a bit hard and a bit tart without being fried.

• 2 weeks later...

Halfway there after today - how's everyone doing?

I've realized that I've inadvertently slipped up twice, the first was balsamic vinegar that I roasted some baby fennel with and ate on day six, only afterwards did I check the bottle and realized it said 'contains sulfates'. I could have not eaten the fennel but food waste is the worse crime in my book, I live alone and it's not like they're the kind of thing I can take into work (plus it's Ramadan so the whole offering food at work thing is fraught with extra problems). Then yesterday I was reading a blog post about W30 where the blogger said she too late realized that she's had a yogi tea which had stevia leaf in, now I had three cups of yogi tea late last week, I checked, and yup, stevia leaf.

So am I restarting my count? No, in a word. I've bought new balsamic without sulfates (though the consistency isn't the same as regular balsamic, I can put it in things but not use it as a drizzle which is frustrating) and a couple of my boxes of herbal teas have gone onto the 'do not touch' shelf but I'm flying out to a five day vegan yoga retreat in the mountains of Transylvania the day after my W30 is due to finish. As all vegan protein comes from grains and legumes that's going to make it pretty difficult, I could take some boiled eggs for the first few days and some jerky for the remaining days (and frankly I'm probably going to do that anyway as I'm not bonkers about vegan food) but enough to fulfill all my protein needs?, seems pretty complicated, plus I've paid a ton for the retreat and want to enjoy the food as much as possible (which I'm already thinking won't be a lot) without the added complications of avoiding any honey (the retreat is, of course, refined sugar free) and only eating the parts of the meals that don't contain grains or legumes.

I hope everyone else has managed not to slip up! And hoping it's all downhill from here, I'm waiting for some increased energy over here!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you enjoy the retreat. I would have to load my suitcase up with tuna/salmon packs, beef jerky...cabbage onto whatever greens or vege will be available. Then I think I would make a run into town and find me a bite to eat whenever I could. Refreshing my original factory settings and soak up the view and countryside. Have a good time. 

Archived